• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rebuild of Evangelion, Part 1 Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baryn

Banned
This is a retelling of the first third of the series, in a brand new theatrical release. It comes out in Japan on September 1st!

For those out of the loop, coming out through 2007 and 2008 are three more movies (making for four total), covering the series and (for the third time) completely reinventing the end of Evangelion.

Trailer for Rebuild of Evangelion, Movie 1

Anyone living JP-side, please post your review to this thread.

evangelion7nj5.jpg

b0002285_11502899.jpg

I am a consumer whore who bought both the Evangelion Perfect Collection and the Platinum Collection. I will undoubtedly buy this, and I am quite looking forward to it.

JayDubya

Banned
Blablurn said:
what happened to the live action movie?
Significantly harder to finance than this project, and for good reason.

Also, I'd rather have a high-budget animated project, even though it's obviously a massive retcon - there's going to be like four films. :D :D :D :D Or was it three? Whatever, can't wait to see this.

JayDubya

Banned
Zenith said:
are there any previews or shots of this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pfnqsEEEpo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zgQXQrHGgc&mode=related&search=

Oh cool, they got the Kingdom Hearts J-pop girl to do some of the music. What's not too cool, of course, is that trailers need more than just visuals and a J-pop song. Bad trailer, but pretty visuals.

At any rate, it's four films. I don't see how one can redo an entire show in three films, but it's Anno and its Eva so I want the DVD yesterday. :lol

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Going this Saturday; can't f'n wait!

Saw a new CM for it on TV tonight, it got me pretty pumped.

Fireblend

Banned
Yay, can't wait for subbed version, I'd guess it would be great to see this on a movie theater but well, that's not an option. Hopefully a decent version will leak out soon :lol

Mr_Moogle

I've seen End Of Evangelion 3 or 4 times and I still dont fully understand it.

Doesnt stop it from being one of the best anime movies I'v ever seen though. I loved the series too.....except that last episode.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
I've seen End Of Evangelion 3 or 4 times and I still dont fully understand it.

Doesnt stop it from being one of the best anime movies I'v ever seen though

YES!!! YES IT DOES!!!

Ichirou

Banned
JayDubya said:
At any rate, it's four films. I don't see how one can redo an entire show in three films, but it's Anno and its Eva so I want the DVD yesterday. :lol

It's four films...first film will cover the story until just before Asuka's first appearance. I don't think it'd be hard to cover the entire series in four films...think about it, if each film is two hours, that means each film is about four episodes long. 4 x 4 = 16. If they trim the fat and cut out extraneous stuff, it's totally doable. Hell, look at RahXePhon, it was able to cover the entire 26 episode series in one movie.

They've redesigned all the Evas for the movies, too, have you guys seen the new designs? Obviously done to sell more merchandise.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I just don't understand why it's so hard to just swallow and stomach the original series ending? It's not like it was that different in themes from the movie.

JayDubya

Banned
speedpop said:
I just don't understand why it's so hard to just swallow and stomach the original series ending? It's not like it was that different in themes from the movie.

Because it doesn't explain anything to any slight modicum of satisfaction.

It's a massive jump from, oh, okay, I just killed Kaworu to... oh hey, I'm god now, fun. Well, I'm going to go explore the inner layers of my psyche now for 40 minutes. :lol

Don't get me wrong, I LIKE the episodes in question 25, 26, but by no means do they deliver any sort of satisfactory conclusion.

And while the movie does get into some serious mindphuckery, it really does all makes sense (once you've drunken the Anno koolaid :lol ).

ezekial45

Banned
I just don't get this series. I stayed with the entire series when it was on last time, but after the last episode i had that "so what" feeling. Although, i didn't really bother to watch the movies.

Maybe i should give this one a shot since it's a retcon.

Ichirou

Banned
PolyGone said:
I don't understand the point of this, but I will probably watch it sooner or later.

The point is that Evangelion aired over ten years ago, a short 26 episode series plus two movies, and it is still making HUGE amounts of money for Gainax, especially when compared to other stuff like Gundam which has had TV like a dozen series and a bunch of movies over the last thirty years.

The point is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Tabris

OH MY GOD! WHAT THE FUCK?!?!

HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS?! That trailer looks so freaking awesome.

The poster with Kaworu on it doesn't make sense as he shouldn't be there until the 4th movie.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I wish I could see this in a theater, dammit! When I was the same age as the characters in the show I didn't have a problem thinking Asuka and Rei were hot. Nowadays I don't find 14 year old anime girls hot anymore, but I still feel dirty :(

Tabris

JayDubya said:
Because it doesn't explain anything to any slight modicum of satisfaction.

It's a massive jump from, oh, okay, I just killed Kaworu to... oh hey, I'm god now, fun. Well, I'm going to go explore the inner layers of my psyche now for 40 minutes. :lol

Don't get me wrong, I LIKE the episodes in question 25, 26, but by no means do they deliver any sort of satisfactory conclusion.

And while the movie does get into some serious mindphuckery, it really does all makes sense (once you've drunken the Anno koolaid :lol ).

What I do is this... I watch Episode 25, then I watch End of Evangelion, then I watch Episode 26. It's fucking brillant that way.

JayDubya

Banned
zoku88 said:
One questions, just one: was Kaworu always that thing? He looks odd to me right now...

Well, he was always an albino (just like Rei ;P) and that plug suit is just how it looked in Episode 24 for the thirty seconds or so he was wearing it.

That show really got rushed at the end. A character like Kaworu shouldn't be introduced in the same episode with all those big reveals. The pacing of that episode was insane. There were easily a few other episodes that could have been cut down to make room. Particularly the cheapest of all cheap moves, the recap compilation episode.

"Hey, lets follow Gendo's meeting with his SEELE higherups, and he'll talk about everything that's happened so far, while we play clips from previous episodes and add narration. Then we'll throw in 5 weird minutes of Rei narration. Gold!"

Dead

well not really...yet
Tabris said:
OH MY GOD! WHAT THE FUCK?!?!

HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS?! That trailer looks so freaking awesome.

The poster with Kaworu on it doesn't make sense as he shouldn't be there until the 4th movie.
Theyre changing aspects of the story around. Kaworu is in the 1st movie.

Also it seems they're kind of basing aspects of the movie on the manga.

JayDubya

Banned
Tabris said:
What I do is this... I watch Episode 25, then I watch End of Evangelion, then I watch Episode 26. It's fucking brillant that way.

The real problem is that since Instrumentality happens in the movie and in the episodes, since it's all timeless internal monologue crazyness, it kind of happens all at once, like a dream. There's no real chronology to note other than that 25 and 26 have to happen during a very particular time in the film, and they actually overlap pretty well.

Fireblend

Banned
Tabris said:

Well the whole ending thing is pretty subjective. I'd say it's the same ending, but some people say that in one Shinji accepted instrumentality and on the movie it's pretty obvious he rejected it... I seriously hope we still get Asuka-going crazy scene. That's one of the best mech fights ever.

Ichirou

Banned
I would say to people - don't get your hopes up TOO much...this isn't going to be like, a new definitive version of the series. Just an alternate take in order to sell more merchandise and celebrate over ten years of Eva.

I think Anno's just producing this time around, not directing.

Ichirou

Banned
I'm going to see it in theaters with a friend, I'm excited too, don't get me wrong. But I know what's behind this - they redesigned the logos for SEELE and NERV as well as all the Evas and some of the Angels, for a reason. $_$

Odrion

Banned
I heard CG was going to be used in this film and my first thought was "Oh fuck."

But I'm glad to see this wasn't the case.

Also, End of Evangelion was the fucking best. You know it's special when it burns itself into your head for a week or two.

Ichirou

Banned
I heard the guy who directed the Gunbuster 2 OAV series was one of the main creative forces behind the Eva movies this time around. It ought to be interesting to see in what direction he takes the flicks.

EDIT:

From Wikipedia:

Hideaki Anno has written the script for the first movie and will be the general director and manager for the entire project. Kazuya Tsurumaki and Masayuki will direct the movies while Yoshiyuki Sadamoto will provide character designs and Ikuto Yamashita will provide mechanical designs. Shinji Higuchi and Tomoki Kyoda will provide storyboards for the first movie.

This guy, Kazuya Tsurumaki.

Dead

well not really...yet
JayDubya said:
Nope, writer and chief director.
Here's the main staff:

Original Concept, Scenario, Chief Director: Hideaki Anno
Director: Masayuki, Kazuya Tsurumaki
Character Design: Yoshiyuki Sadamoto
Mecha Design: Ikuto Yamashita
Storyboard (New/Redone Scenes): Shinji Higuchi, Tomoki Kyoda
Unit Director: Hiroshi Haraguchi
Chief Animation Director: Shunji Suzuki
Animation Directors: Hidenori Matsubara, Kazuchika Kise, Jun Okuda, Yuji Moriyama
Mecha Animation Director: Takeshi Honda
Special Effects Director: Shoichi Masuo
Art Director: Hiroshi Kato, Tatsuya Kushida
Color Setting: Kazuko Kikuchi
Director of Photography: Toru Fukushi
CG Director: Daisuke Onitsuka, Hiroyasu Kobayashi
Editor: Hirofumi Okuda
Sound Effects: Toru Noguchi
Music: Shiro Sagisu

Ichirou

Banned
silenttwn said:
How many parts is the new Eva gonna be? I think I last heard five. Are they full length features for each part?

Four full-length features. First one comes out this year, second one comes out sometime next year.

Dead, it's nice to see they got so many of the original staff coming back.

silenttwn

Ichirou said:
Four full-length features. First one comes out this year, second one comes out sometime next year.

Dead, it's nice to see they got so many of the original staff coming back.

Awesome. I hope the trip overseas for the flicks are short. I liked the original US voice cast, hopefully they'll come back. Oh, and DO WANT soundtrack. Read this blurb about it from Wiki.

"The score for the film, composed by Shiro Sagisu, was recorded at Abbey Road Studios with the London Studio Orchestra."

It's going to sound WAY better than the TV orchestra they got for the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom