• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rebuilding The Last of Us Part I: A deep dive into combat, animation, audio and visual changes with Naughty Dog

saintjules

Won’t buy this as I don’t want to support the precedent of paying full-price for improved versions of the same game every 5-8 years. $70 Bloodborne and the Witcher 3 coming up next I bet.

I just feel like if it was a different game like Bloodborne doing this, no one would complain about the price tag.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
NXGamer NXGamer I am surprised at your conclusion that model and environment fidelity aren't up to par with TLOU2; everything I've seen suggests otherwise. I've been replaying the sequel for the past week in anticipation of Pt. 1 release and I don't see how it looks better honestly.

F Feel Like I'm On 42 , I trust nx analysis always been straight shooter imo so yeah gotta admit I'm a bit confused on this take. I'll be posting comparable shots on Friday to get a sense of what's what.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
To you cucks who paid full price again for another remake of a remake, enjoy! Neil drunkman is standing behind you while you are abby

guld2n69gl551.jpg

"... but in some counted sections it can be at that 4k target or just below".

Or maybe I don't understand what you're saying here? It can't be considered drs if it's locked. 1440p is the base resolution so it fluctuates between 1440p and 2160

Digital Foundry claims all their counts are 1440p

Stooky

No you are right they learned how to enlarge areas and making them a bit more sandboxy with way better level design but this big change is not in the remake, that has the exact same level design of the ps3 version, also they surely learned how to better direct cutscenes between camera movements, direction to the actors, better mocap tech for the actors etc, but once again this is not in the remake, the only change for cutscenes are literally the graphic, they didn't bothered to re-shot the cutscenes, didn't they?!

But yeah you are right, motion matching chaining animation together is surely more game changer than actual new game mechanics like dodge and prone, yeah this shit really is hilarious dude, but for all the wrong reasons...
I think it was a good decision to not include new game mechanics. Each gives a different experience. Honestly I can’t see Joel dodging and crawling on the ground all over the place. I like Joel the tank the way he is.

GymWolf

I think it was a good decision to not include new game mechanics. Each gives a different experience. Honestly I can’t see Joel dodging and crawling on the ground all over the place. I like Joel the tank the way he is.
yeah i don't buy it dude, if it is a realism angle, joel does a multitude of stuff that A 45-50 years old man can't do, a non-exagerated realistically animated dodge is not something that a guy who fuck up a small army of men without a sweat shouldn't be able to do any time he wants, i can absolutely assure you that bashing heads and even running fast consume more stamina than a small dodge.

Also abby has the same body type and tanky style, and she magically dodge...

Going prone is never gonna look as bad or out of place as joel crab stealth walking ridicolous animation.

Last edited:

Stooky

yeah i don't buy it dude, if it is a realism angle, joel does a multitude of stuff that A 45-50 years old man can't do, a non-exagerated realistically animated dodge is not something that a guy who fuck up a small army of men without a sweat shouldn't be able to do any time he wants, i can absolutely assure you that bashing heads and even running fast consume more stamina than a small dodge.

Also abby has the same body type and tanky style, and she magically dodge...

Going prone is never gonna look as bad or out of place as joel crab stealth walking ridicolous animation.
If they added prone and dodge it would be a different game. people would complain just like you are now.

Hugare

I doubt that its using DRS

If so, we wouldnt see as many drops as we are seeing with 40 FPS mode

And Naughty Dog havent implemented DRS in the past, even with the Uncharted remaster on the PS5. It was a locked 1440p.

So for now, I trust DF on this one
Why does Naughty Dog say its DRS in the menu? That's a sketchy oversight.

I watched this video in full, understand and appreciate the changes, yet still feel this is completely unnecessary.

The video game industry is going Hollywood style with this ridiculousness.

I guess it really comes down to the fact that new players rarely appreciate old great games. This the need to reintroduce them. A shame really.

Yah, maybe they fucked up

I dont think they will leave the performance as is. They will probably patch the game to correct it soon.
I hope they had planned for drs but didn't have time to implement and that they will patch it I'm. Last of Us remastered has an 1800p60 mode so I don't think they just want to keep all their games at 1440p ..

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
NXGamer also noticed loading is slower on PS5.

Likely the engine isn't fully optimised for PS5 just yet.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Why does Naughty Dog say its DRS in the menu? That's a sketchy oversight.
My favorite part was when DF found out that DRS was incorrect so they just put a line across the DRS option and moved on with their analysis. I was like umm, maybe try picking up the phone and calling ND for some clarification, no? If they dont respond then simply say ND didnt reply back in time for publication of this vid.

But no, lets just put an X over it. Imagine if the Fidelity mode ran at 1440p, wonder if they would just put a line across it and forget about it.

P.S Also funny is how they have no issues going to Remedy and other devs to get the 'true PS5 and XSX settings' when they need to do PC comparisons, but clarification on whether this is a bug or a typo is too much to ask.

GymWolf

If they added prone and dodge it would be a different game. people would complain just like you are now.
This is science fiction dude...

I mean cmon let's be serious for a moment, newcomers don't know how the original was so they don't know what change, and hardcore gamers who already completed the game multiple times would be extremely happy to have tlou2 mechanics and an improved level design, i challenge you to find even a single post in this forum (or any other forum) of someone that would be SAD to have tlou2 mechanics\level design.

No hardcore gamer is happy to play with ps3 level design\mechanics, there is no way to spin this and newcomers surely don't want ancient stuff neither, literally no one would complain, and you know it.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Fbg3CcvVEAUR8Fi

The game looks insane!

GymWolf GymWolf I don't disagree with you, but I feel Stooky Stooky has a point still. Look at those who bash FFVII remake, they've argued to keep the game the same, but only change graphics and then you have many who welcome the gameplay change as it is indeed a "RE" make, so I see both points.

I wish it had The Last Of Us 2 elements and design, but I feel a logical argument can be made that this is The Last Of Us 1 and not 2 and to put all that design in the game might take away from that flow of what people enjoyed with Part 1.

I'd say, split the baby on this one and simply have 2 modes. A Part 1 mode with no prone, Part 2 mode with prone and other features. So seeing how the community bitches about any little thing, I find it hard to believe they could put all of the elements of Part 2 in and you wouldn't get anyone upset.

They are upset this is being remade at all with cries of "too soon" as if a fucking decade is some short time frame in tech or something lol

So I don't disagree with you Gym, but they'd complain regardless. Both of you make valid points and maybe they just should have let the player decide and added both options or something.

Last edited:
When was Oliver wrong? (Alex didnt analysed the game, btw)
Resident evil analysis some of his analysis on switch titles. Alex has a laundry list like most of the re games or Spider-Man. Nx gamer pointed to a specific value at one point (1512p) so that lends credence to what he said. You also seem unaware that drs would only be used in the performance mode not fidelity mode (which is the setting 40fps uses)

My favorite part was when DF found out that DRS was incorrect so they just put a line across the DRS option and moved on with their analysis. I was like umm, maybe try picking up the phone and calling ND for some clarification, no? If they dont respond then simply say ND didnt reply back in time for publication of this vid.

But no, lets just put an X over it. Imagine if the Fidelity mode ran at 1440p, wonder if they would just put a line across it and forget about it.

P.S Also funny is how they have no issues going to Remedy and other devs to get the 'true PS5 and XSX settings' when they need to do PC comparisons, but clarification on whether this is a bug or a typo is too much to ask.

Can’t they get sued for false advertising?

Last edited:

SlimySnake

This is science fiction dude...

I mean cmon let's be serious for a moment, newcomers don't know how the original was so they don't know what change, and hardcore gamers who already completed the game multiple times would be extremely happy to have tlou2 mechanics and an improved level design, i challenge you to find even a single post in this forum (or any other forum) of someone that would be SAD to have tlou2 mechanics\level design.

No hardcore gamer is happy to play with ps3 level design\mechanics, there is no way to spin this and newcomers surely don't want ancient stuff neither, literally no one would complain, and you know it.
I didnt even just want dodge or prone. I wanted this.

car.gif

YFFP314.gif

I wanted what was promised back in 2018. Let me dodge into cars and other objects. Give me those amazing original motion matching animations that were downgraded, the enemy character models that were downgraded. They way the brute was missing and hitting the shelves is missing from the final game on PS4. The way he realistically acted to every single bow hit. Hell, I loved fighting these guys. Bring them over and give the remake that kick to spice things up. There is no reason for them to not include them in a PS5 only release built on this engine.

This is not just about dodge or prone. It's clearly about a more overall immersive experience that wouldve made TLOU Part 1 BETTER not worse.

GymWolf

Fbg3CcvVEAUR8Fi

The game looks insane!

GymWolf GymWolf I don't disagree with you, but I feel Stooky Stooky has a point still. Look at those who bash FFVII remake, they've argued to keep the game the same, but only change graphics and then you have many who welcome the gameplay change as it is indeed a "RE" make, so I see both points.

I wish it had The Last Of Us 2 elements and design, but I feel a logical argument can be made that this is The Last Of Us 1 and not 2 and to put all that design in the game might take away from that flow of what people enjoyed with Part 1.

I'd say, split the baby on this one and simply have 2 modes. A Part 1 mode with no prone, Part 2 mode with prone and other features. So seeing how the community bitches about any little thing, I find it hard to believe they could put all of the elements of Part 2 in and you wouldn't get anyone upset.

They are upset this is being remade at all with cries of "too soon" as if a fucking decade is some short time frame in tech or something lol

So I don't disagree with you Gym, but they'd complain regardless. Both of you make valid points and maybe they just should have let the player decide and added both options or something.
Nah, ff7 remake is a completely different game compared to vanilla, they didn't updated the level design and a turn based combat and the cutscenes, they completely changed and fucked up the original plot, milked a 10 hours section (if you play with hand cramps) into a bloated 40 hours mess, and changed turn based to hybrid mostly action, fanboys of the vanilla had all the rights to call out that shitshow.

The change to tlou1 remake would have been way less drastic.

Even the biggest change like making the combat scenarios larger and better would only involve making a cutscene start in generic room\alley number 45 instead of generic room\alley number 46, if you really can't see how that is a minuscole change that change nothing in the big scheme of things, i don't know how to help you, you can't even call enlarging the areas bloat because it would be functional to better and more strategic gameplay.

The plot of tlou is not strong and beloved because a cutscene start in a generic room instead of another and whoever think that need a lobotomy.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I didnt even just want dodge or prone. I wanted this.

car.gif

YFFP314.gif

I wanted what was promised back in 2018. Let me dodge into cars and other objects. Give me those amazing original motion matching animations that were downgraded, the enemy character models that were downgraded. They way the brute was missing and hitting the shelves is missing from the final game on PS4. The way he realistically acted to every single bow hit. Hell, I loved fighting these guys. Bring them over and give the remake that kick to spice things up. There is no reason for them to not include them in a PS5 only release built on this engine.

This is not just about dodge or prone. It's clearly about a more overall immersive experience that wouldve made TLOU Part 1 BETTER not worse.
That was always bullshit except maybe the graphic at a certain point before the optimization started, it was way too perfect.

After the first tlou demo you should have known that.

If you want people reacting kINDA dinamically to bows it's time to play rdr2, maybe in the future some fucker is gonna finally develop a game with both euphoria engine AND motion matching with nd animation quality...

Last edited:

SlimySnake

That was always bullshit except maybe the graphic at a certain point, it was way too perfect.

After the first tlou demo you should have known that.

If you want people reacting kINDA dinamically to bows it's time to play rdr2, maybe in the future some fucker is gonna finally develop a game with both euphoria engine AND motion matching with nd animation quality...
I just shot people in RDR2, dont remember anything fancy with bows.

And the interaction with environments to me is the next frontier. maybe it was not possible on the PS4 and they faked it. but those kind of physics SHOULD be possible on the PS5. At the end of the day, its just physics.

Saw a pretty cool gif on era just now. They have some of that tech in this game.

If the books have physical properties and react to a bomb explosion then they should also react to Ellie being thrown into it when dodging or by an enemy. Same goes for hitting the book shelf with a giant axe like in the e3 2018 demo.

GymWolf

I just shot people in RDR2, dont remember anything fancy with bows.

And the interaction with environments to me is the next frontier. maybe it was not possible on the PS4 and they faked it. but those kind of physics SHOULD be possible on the PS5. At the end of the day, its just physics.

Saw a pretty cool gif on era just now. They have some of that tech in this game.

If the books have physical properties and react to a bomb explosion then they should also react to Ellie being thrown into it when dodging or by an enemy. Same goes for hitting the book shelf with a giant axe like in the e3 2018 demo.

rdr2 has less pre-canned animation and more physics based hit reaction\how people fall compared to tlou2, sometimes it looks jerkier and less satisfying than tlou2, but the visual variety is infinite, this is why rockstar games with euphoria are the games with most brutal kills compilation on yt, like hundreds of them, more than hitman or tlou or cod or gears or any tps really.

I'm sure you noticed that when you get an headshot with a gun in tlou2 enemies always do that little animation with their head\neck for the recoil before the ragdoll kicks in, in rdr2 the body immediately moves in the opposite direction from where the bullet hit for the kinetic force, i'm sure you noticed that tlou2 looks always nice and clean so to speak but rdr2 wins in visual variety with some jittery and funny physics here and there if you played enough of both.

they are both the pinnacle of gunplay in terms of visual variety and how punchier\heavy they are and i'm sure that only rockstar and ND are gonna beat this standard, i don't see anyone else.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Nah, ff7 remake is a completely different game compared to vanilla, they didn't updated the level design and a turn based combat and the cutscenes, they completely changed and fucked up the original plot, milked a 10 hours section

fanboys of the vanilla had all the rights to call out that shitshow.

Ok....do you not see Stooky's point? That is exactly what they mean. This is how gamers act with stuff like this.

The change to tlou1 remake would have been way less drastic.

I agree, but that doesn't mean fanboys of the vanilla would agree with us, that is Stooky's point btw. Someone will always complain and cry, they are crying merely about the existence of this game even before any details came out.

So understand that I agree that those features would be awesome in the remake, but that doesn't mean fans wouldn't complain about it being different then Part 1 vanilla.

They'd 100% complain, cry...the usual lol

GymWolf

Ok....do you not see Stooky's point? That is exactly what they mean. This is how gamers act with stuff like this.

I agree, but that doesn't mean fanboys of the vanilla would agree with us, that is Stooky's point btw. Someone will always complain and cry, they are crying merely about the existence of this game even before any details came out.

So understand that I agree that those features would be awesome in the remake, but that doesn't mean fans wouldn't complain about it being different then Part 1 vanilla.

They'd 100% complain, cry...the usual lol
No i don't see his point because like i explained, ff7 remake is a whole different situation with drastic changes that make the title completely different.

Enhancing is different from completely changing something, the comparison doens't even sussist.

It would not even be a twin snake situation because enemies would have better ia and bigger levels to organize like in tlou2, so a balanced plain field.

You can go read the topic when the remake was announced and everyone was hoping for tlou2 mechanics, like i said you are not gonna find anyone in any gaming board sad about that, the situation was well different with ff7 remake when they announced the episodic thing, then the hybrid combat and the change in the plot etc, all the way from start to finish people was concerned about that game, you are not gonna find anyone sad at the idea of tlou2 mechanics\level design.

Last edited:

EDMIX

ff7 remake is a whole different situation with drastic changes

Fanboys would call any thing drastic and would see the design changing, levels changing, prone added etc as "drastic".

I'm not saying FFVII remake is not a massive change, I'm not even saying that The Last Of Us Remake adding in prone is that big of a deal to many of us and I find it fits the design well, simply many won't see it how we see it.

They'll call any change "drastic" as we fucking have people on here calling Tess a 80 year old woman, people like this will exaggerate anything, cry over any thing and I just don't buy that adding in those features would have had zero complaints.

I want those features like you, I have no issue with FFVII remake either as its a REMAKE, but clearly others won't see it that way. My point is not based on what I feel about those titles, but how others would and are reacting even now to the changes made. I just don't buy that Part 2's features would be added with zero push back, even if I want those features myself. I'm also able to separate those ideas and realize what I want, might not be what many accept or see how I see it.

Enhancing is different from completely changing something, the comparison doens't even sussist.

Its not to directly compare the games, its to say someone feels like those are wild, unwarranted or unwanted changes or something. They are literally telling us The Last Of Us 1 is unnecessary, shouldn't be remade and a decade is apparently too soon, people like this I have a hard time believing would accept The Last Of Us 2 gameplay in Part 1 if it was completely designed around it, they don't even accept the title as it is right now to then believe they'd be ok with it being completely like Part 2 gameplay wise.

So I agree with you that what we are asking isn't the level of FFVII remake, what we are asking is something I feel fits both games well, that is however not to say what you and I would want, would fit what some fanboys would cry about.

They'll cry over anything wolf lol

Top Bottom