• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recent disappointments in gaming?

Lucumo

the whole gaming industry is a disappointing.
Yep. DRM, DLC, microtransactions, incomplete games and lack of physical games is killing my interests in modern games. And even if it comes to them specifically, it's always "been there, done that". Sure, some games improve certain aspects here and there but it's never really a larger step. Gaming "journalism" has taken a hard turn for the worse and their shit-flinging reaches you everywhere. Censorship is on rise. The US is spreading their identity bs which also affects games these days. PC gaming is mostly just a corpse that gets shit on by walled gardens like Steam, Epic, Microsoft Store etc. Gamers have become more stupid over time (likely due to the influx of casuals and kids who don't know better). And also, the last bastion of complete, physical games (VNs) on PC has begun to crumble, as store DRM was introduced as well as the lack of the actual game disc with just a DL-card being inside.

Yep. DRM, DLC, microtransactions, incomplete games and lack of physical games is killing my interests in modern games. And even if it comes to them specifically, it's always "been there, done that". Sure, some games improve certain aspects here and there but it's never really a larger step. Gaming "journalism" has taken a hard turn for the worse and their shit-flinging reaches you everywhere. Censorship is on rise. The US is spreading their identity bs which also affects games these days. PC gaming is mostly just a corpse that gets shit on by walled gardens like Steam, Epic, Microsoft Store etc. Gamers have become more stupid over time (likely due to the influx of casuals and kids who don't know better). And also, the last bastion of complete, physical games (VNs) on PC has begun to crumble, as store DRM was introduced as well as the lack of the actual game disc with just a DL-card being inside.

i think i made my decision. the ps3 was the last system i bought. sold my ps4. am done with gaming. am gonna play old games tbh. and play some online pc games thats about it

am no longer investing money into a shitty industry

Most recently it would be Nioh.

Loved the concept of the game but ugly PS3 level graphics combined with difficulty level to the point of being flat out unfun is no es bueno.

I've played Ninja Gaiden Black, I've played Dark Souls, I can deal with difficult, I'm here to tell you Nioh is busted ass shit.

Most recently it would be Nioh.

Loved the concept of the game but ugly PS3 level graphics combined with difficulty level to the point of being flat out unfun is no es bueno.

I've played Ninja Gaiden Black, I've played Dark Souls, I can deal with difficult, I'm here to tell you Nioh is busted ass shit.

Hmm interesting. I thought Nioh was a good change of pace for me after Souls. I liked it, would give it a 7/10. I would dock 2 points just for the horrendous level design.

Coming from the same dev of Ninja Gaiden, Nioh is far off what NG was. It's been some time since the last good NG though, so who knows how things have changed within the company.

Last edited:
Hmm interesting. I thought Nioh was a good change of pace for me after Souls. I liked it, would give it a 7/10. I would dock 2 points just for the horrendous level design.

Coming from the same dev of Ninja Gaiden, Nioh is far off what NG was. It's been some time since the last good NG though, so who knows how things have changed within the company.

Yes, I forgot to mention the awful level design as well.

Such a cool concept, but such a bad execution, I still get bummed out when thinking of how much of a waste that game is.

Fbh

My most recent one was A Way Out.
I was really hyped about it. I love coop games and a coop ONLY game designed to be played locally in split screen sounded amazing. It opened the door to so many cool ideas.

But the game just wasn't very good. It felt extremely scripted and as a result it often felt less like I was coordinating and working together with the other player as much as we were just following simple instructions in parallel.
What needs to be done in almost every scenario is extremely obvious and executing it is so easy it requieres next to no real coordination. and as such is almost impossible to fail.
It also doesn't help that
towards the end it turns into a crappy shooter. Even if the final part where you have to fight the other guy is maybe the one interesting idea in the game

Barakov

Gold Member
Most recent was probably Forza Horizon 4. Getting clothing items in a wheel spin intead of a car or money to buy more cars. Also I HATE the season thing. I'd rather they let me pick the season and do all the races in that season. Games as a service are sucking the fun out of games.

Codes 208

Oh right, and red dead 2, so much potential for what turned into such a bore of an open world game. Especially the online.

Last edited:
Epic Store throwing itself into the market buying exclusivity on PC... ON THE PERSONAL COMPUTER and effectively destroying PC gaming and removing my interest in purchasing games.

PC software platform exclusive multi-plats, what the fuck is that...

Lucumo

i think i made my decision. the ps3 was the last system i bought. sold my ps4. am done with gaming. am gonna play old games tbh. and play some online pc games thats about it
That's the good part: If you don't care about the graphics (like I do), you can just play tons of older games. My backlog is ~1000 games on PC/consoles, so I'm good to go. I only really buy cheap (mostly old) digital games on GOG for convenience (or sometimes to support a developer) and import those Japanese games I mentioned earlier.

scanferr

I would probably go with Wolfenstein: The New Order, I actually just started playing this, and having a very hard time getting into it after a few hours, so I had RDR2 sitting since Christmas as a present. Started playing that instead, and I was bored till about 30% into the game, but I think it picked itself up since then... should be finishing in the next few days so not disappointed in that.

I'm pretty picky about picking up games. Disappointed that Gears of War trilogy (remastered) hasn't landed on the PS4 yet, maybe next gen. :)

I finished that one but I have no idea how, I thought it was borderline bad in most areas.

This. I don't understand how can people say it's the best Bioshock game.

I miss the day when computers, arcades and consoles had their own unique games. What a mess....

Yeah. I understand this actually. Each console or system had their own identity and uniqueness. Now it’s to the point where we might as well have a one console nation imo.

Sea of Thieves
Always online being forced in games.
Sony’s nonsensical censorship policy.
Companies wanting to eliminate physical games.

AAA games in general have been a disappointment. So much money and resources are being spent on presentation (like realistic textures, story, voice acting and all that filler crap) while core gameplay was pushed to the back seat. Nowadays, I turn to indies to satisfy my craving for hardcore skill-based gaming that respects my time.

...Halo 5: multiplayer was fine (but I was disappointed that btb was made up of just forge maps) but the campaign is the biggest let down of the series for me.
As a big fan of BTB in Halo, I too was really disappointed in forge-only BTB maps in Halo 5. Warzone was fun, but not enough to make BTB an after-thought. I also didn't like that the new maps matchmaking maps were just redesigns of existing maps.

Traianvs

Dynasty warriors 9 broke my heart, Everything is wrong in this game and I'm one who loved DW6

Fallout 76. I enjoyed the first few days but the lack of npc and the people dressed like idiots looting some place just before you are a big no no

I bought them both at day one. Lesson learned....?

The Snake

Currently playing through God of War and it's okay. Just okay. Like, it's fine. It's not this insane mind-shattering experience I kept hearing about.

It's a game and it's fine.

Shakka43

Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Not enough combat(which itself was pretty weak) made worse by how shallow and boring the exploration and puzzles felt. Really enjoyed TR 2013 and RotTR, but this third one was truly a let down.

The Snake

Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Not enough combat(which itself was pretty weak) made worse by how shallow and boring the exploration and puzzles felt. Really enjoyed TR 2013 and RotTR, but this third one was truly a let down.

I honestly forgot that existed and I'm a really big fan of the franchise (I've played through literally every entry, even the stinkers). I just don't care. The last one was alright. I just don't care about this Lara, I don't care about wherever they go with her, and I'm sure the game is loaded with lame modern crap.

odd_hatch

I think I would have a smaller list if I was asked what didn't disappoint me.

I wish gamers would stir the industry by voting with their wallets, but everyone seems to really like to pay for their gun skins, because we all know how important they are.

I think I would have a smaller list if I was asked what didn't disappoint me.

I wish gamers would stir the industry by voting with their wallets, but everyone seems to really like to pay for their gun skins, because we all know how important they are.

When I saw the title of this thread, I had much the same thought, lol. There have been a lot of disappointments for a lot of folks lately.

-MD-

The Evil Within 2

What a shit show of a game, it's even more embarrassing looking back on it.

scalman

Dissapointments are devs that listen to people what they want from game because those who really play games dont comment on them... Just make damn games dont listen to stupid trolls.

PC gaming is mostly just a corpse that gets shit

Same could be said for Xbox, and about all games on Sony excluding some exclusives it gets. PS2 was the last system with really many games to it that where worth it and exclusive to the system.

GreenAlien

I tried Arkham City last week. Didn't like anything about it. The combat is so damn annoying and repetitive.. The open world isn't fun and traveling through is just a waste of time. It somehow turned out worse than Arham Asylum (which I didn't love, but it managed to hold my interest until the end). Urgh..

Red Dead 2 is maybe my biggest disappointment of all time in gaming. I loved the first one but the sequel? Ugh. I've posted my reasoning many times in the appropriate threads. I'd rather not hijack this one. Just my opinion.
I was so glad that Dan fought so hard in Giant Bombs year end podcasts to get that onto the most disappointing list. Listening to the counter arguments were very frustrating. The game was very polarizing, and arguing that some people liking it a whole lot should negate other peoples disappointment was pretty annoying.

Last edited:

0neAnd0nly

Gold Member
Red Dead 2 is maybe my biggest disappointment of all time in gaming. I loved the first one but the sequel? Ugh. I've posted my reasoning many times in the appropriate threads. I'd rather not hijack this one. Just my opinion.

I haven’t played RDR2*
But that is kind of (unpopular opinion) what happened to me with Red Dead Redemption.

I loved Revolver, and Redeption came out as a totally different game, different feel and R* basically ignored the first one. I know it wasn’t as loved, but I really enjoyed that game and would say it is in my top 10 all time.

*Really RDR3.

OldGamer

One Piece World Seeker. This game was heavily hyped for over a year as sort of a One Piece mega-game, but what we get is a rushed open-worlder with one playable character that doesn't even have the decency to include the voices from the show.

Even earlier attempts like Unlimited Cruise/Adventure and Pirate Warriors 3, while hardly perfect, were better than this.

Fallout 76, I wanted to believe so fucking bad. The sad part is that it you kept EVERYTHING the same in terms of the F4 asset flip and time setting, but had a traditional Fallout story with optional 4 player local co-op it would have sold fucking gangbusters.

Last edited:

celsowmbr

Banned
Nioh: As a Souls fan I was expecting an open ended world with samurai and yokais things not a Dynasty Warrior slow edition

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Final Fantasy XV. The game had almost no music, went on this whole reality binge and the story was a disgrace to a company that once boasted some of the best stories in RPGs. Luckily MonolithSoft gave me Xenoblade and Square kinda made up for it with Octopath Traveler, but FFXV made me want to cry.

Ten_Fold

Kh3, I was pretty hype for it, I don’t go to midnight release dates but I did for kh3, mannn I was just disappointed overall, I went back to play kh2 on ps2 an I still had more fun, ah well.

EDMIX

Same.

I still can't get over them messing up the weapon wheel. smh

They got it right in GTAV, but suddenly think we want to have it reset EVERY TIME YOU LOOK AT IT lolz

The only way we can even explain all the issues in Red Dead 2, is to just lie and say Arthur has early alzheimers or something. Explains the weapon wheel, jumping off a horse and your weapons just randomly going on the horse again, walking indoors while you getting shot at and not reacting like normal lol

Tevious

Breath of the Wild.
Not that it was all bad, but it was barely a Zelda game having dropped or significantly changed some of the main staples of the series.

Last edited:

Senhua

TLOU still one of the best narative in modern gaming media which still on par with cheap $1 self published zombies apocalypse kindle ebook on Amazon.
The pathetic state of modern single player "cinematics" narative games.

Kadayi

Banned
Not necessarily that recent but Mass Effect Andromeda was definitely underwhelming. I thought the premise was pretty interesting (after the debacle of ME3, I honestly didn't know how the series writers could successfully turn things around, so Kudos for that), but the execution was lacking something fierce. I think the fundamentals of an exploratory mission to another galaxy goes hideously awry was great, but there was a serious disconnect between what the narrative was telling you versus both the gameplay and what you were witnessing. I felt like the game was a bit too reverential to the previous games and needed to set itself apart and be it's own thing also. Personally, I'd have liked to have seen a sequel, but mayhap down the road, there might be an opportunity to reimagine the franchise from scratch. I wouldn't be opposed.

Top Bottom