• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recettear: An Item Shop’s Tale, doujin dungeon crawl/shop sim in English w/demo

logo.gif

Official site
Trailer
Demo
Price: $19.99 on Impulse, GamersGate, Steam

Recettear is a game about an item store, the girl who lives in it, and the fairy whose job it is to make sure that the girl doesn't burn down the item store by accident.

Playing the game involves gathering items - either by playing the markets in the city of Pensee, or grabbing an adventurer and delving into the dungeons that dot the countryside - and selling them to the customers who come through your doors. Tear, the fairy, is here to collect on a loan your father took out - and she'll have to take the store, which doubles as your house, if you can't pay up!

The game is split into two main parts, then: selling items, and exploring dungeons. There isn't really much of anything quite like this combination in any other game, and the number of items you can find is massive.

Selling items and dungeon diving isn't all there is to do, however. There's quite a cast of characters to meet in Recettear, some friendly, some less so. Their fates tie into your own, though, and helping them out could lead you to riches beyond your wildest dreams!

So what're you waiting for, Recette Lemongrass? You've got a debt to pay, and only so much time to do it in.

gameplay_3.jpg

gameplay_19.jpg

gameplay_12.jpg

Seraphis Cain said:
Oooooooooh. Will definitely keep an eye on this. Sounds like my kind of game.

I just played through the demo before posting this thread, it seems very well done. The demo also lets you play a decent amount of time, a full "week" in game. Got to explore a couple dungeons and raise enough money to pay off the first bill.

zoku88

I somehow misread shop sim as dating sim :-/

They need to change the text, didn't try out the demo, but the text on the screenshots wasn't that great to read. I think the font is okay, but maybe the shadowing or borders need to be changed? This is just the last screenshot.

Aaron

Atelier Violet was very similar to this (actually quite a bit more developed), and a fantastic game overall. Shame it was the very last Atelier game to not get a US release. Possibly the best of the whole series. Fighting monsters, baking carrot cakes, getting your jerk brother to mind the shop and having him make a mess of it, visiting other towns to drum up more business, putting your bitch rival in her place, getting liquored up by cunning bears... ah, memories.

zoku88 said:
I somehow misread shop sim as dating sim :-/

They need to change the text, didn't try out the demo, but the text on the screenshots wasn't that great to read. I think the font is okay, but maybe the shadowing or borders need to be changed? This is just the last screenshot.

It's alright in game I think. The screenshots are kinda small, the font doesn't shrink that well I guess.

VoteForPedro said:
Kind of a similar concept to Atelier Annie?

Haven't played that, but looking it up, it sounds like the same concept, except you run the shop directly and it's not a srpg.

Unknown Soldier said:
So it's like Animal Crossing except with the suck parts removed and replaced with awesome parts?

The paying off the debt part I suppose (but it's a lot more strict that you pay it off). And as the shop owner you're a bit of Tom Nook yourself, as you change the stock every day (or several times a day) if you want, and people wander in to try and sell you stuff.

Durante

HadesGigas said:
Haven't played that, but looking it up, it sounds like the same concept, except you run the shop directly and it's not a srpg.
Annie isn't an SRPG either. This does sound very similar to most of the non-Iris Atelier games. Not that this is a bad thing, but the "There isn't really much of anything quite like this combination in any other game" part is untrue.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I had good time with this demo. I will definitely buy the full game.

It's kinda like cutesy Torchlight, but with an overarching purpose.

P.S. - They definitely need to add support for resolutions up to 1080p.

Wow! I played the demo of the japanese version probably about a year ago (maybe? I think it debuted at Comiket 75), had no idea that it's been translated. Will keep an eye out.

MiriamV

Neo Member
sounds great!

I'm playing through Rune Factory Frontier at the moment, this seems to be in the same vein. I'll take a look at the demo later and see if it's any fun... hopefully they'll release a full version soon (and accept Paypal).

ILikeFeet said:
TO ETERNITY AND ---

I'm liking this so far :lol the only problem with it is the lack of a buttons guide

I think there an instruction file dealie, as well as something to do with a custom.exe if memory serves from that dev thread...

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Huh, I think I played this in Japanese SEVERAL years ago.

Or something very similar with a very similar name.

I gotta check my doujin game stash when I get the chance.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Played through the first week

I will say it's addicting in a dungeon-crawler, loot-whoring, profit-driven kind of way.

It's a little too late at this point to tighten up the controls on the dungeon aspect, I assume...so hopefully, the full game will have options to expand on your store.

Dungeon aspect
- Very loose controls. I ended up cancelling out of the menu and performing my freakin special attack more often than not.
- Movement is a little floaty. I'm more used to tighter controls. A lot of times I got hit, I could've easily avoided it had the controls been better (using 360 pad)
- Dungeons and designs get to be kinda generic...wish they'd stepped it up.
- Hit detection is questionable. I hit monsters fine, it's them hitting me I really wonder...
- I REALLY wish they'd allow you to map a button for an auto-heal item or something...going into the menu to heal right after you get hit in an action game is kinda bleh and takes you out of the moment.

Item-selling aspect
- Was a lot more satisfying than I thought. Kind of like the Tourneko section of DQ as already mentioned. It was nice making a profit selling items you find.
- Hopefully? More options to spruce up the store? Perhaps to draw in different crowds? More space for more items?

Despite the my criticism of the dungeon aspect, it WAS a demo. I read there are going to be more characters. I would've loved to have the ability to customize your shopkeeper/dungeon explorer and maybe keep them the same person? Would've liked cleaner graphics and less annoying generic jrpg music. Still, from what I've played, it's a "buy" for me right now.

I just tried the demo myself. It really is enjoyable, even though I didn't make the minimum requirement the first time, and just barely squeaked by the second. Unlike Kuro, I didn't mind the controls, but mapping an item use or heal button would be a big improvement.

Are they planning to add English voices, or keep the English dialogue with Japanese voices?

mollipen

I'm going to have to try this out. I really got into Atelier Annie on the DS, for the fact that it was less about killing stuff and more about making items to sell in your stores. The game didn't go nearly far enough in that respect, though, so a game that does is something I might like.

I got Game Over after Day 8, I couldn't pay off the debt, I'm not ripping customer off too much...

:lol @ Guild Master coming in and ripping himself off.

someguyinahat said:
I just tried the demo myself. It really is enjoyable, even though I didn't make the minimum requirement the first time, and just barely squeaked by the second. Unlike Kuro, I didn't mind the controls, but mapping an item use or heal button would be a big improvement.

Are they planning to add English voices, or keep the English dialogue with Japanese voices?

The website says they don't plan to do English voices because of the cost decent ones would be.

Also, there are hotkey buttons in custom.exe, but it says they're for skills.

SephirothRK said:
I got Game Over after Day 8, I couldn't pay off the debt, I'm not ripping customer off too much...

:lol @ Guild Master coming in and ripping himself off.

He seemed the most ok with paying high than everyone else (I'd offer like 129% and he'd say that's fair, with no haggling), maybe wants to help you get on your feet?

Kuro Madoushi said:
Played through the first week
- Hopefully? More options to spruce up the store? Perhaps to draw in different crowds? More space for more items?

Website shows you can change the design of the store (wallpaper and such), as well as expand it for more shelf space. And there's a little graphic Tear can show that says what the "feel" of your store is ("plain" seemed all I could get in the first week).

ILikeFeet

Banned
damn, died in the dungeon. should have saved :lol but it's very fun. depending on the price, I'll be sure to get it.

damn minotaurs

also, this girl's mannerisms are strange but cute.

"Yayifications"
"Kay-o-days"
"Yayness'

Some info from the devs elsewhere about this Japanese EGS outfit that made this game, and one would suspect that IF this deal works out well for all...more might manifest when applicable:

EGS has made a number of titles. Their first game was a fan-game based on an old JRPG called Threads of Fate; this was followed by a shooter, and then arguably their first big project, Chantelise, an action-RPG that is in many ways the spiritual predecessor to Recettear about two sisters, one of whom was cursed and transformed into a fairy.

After Chantelise comes Recettear, then Mail Angel, an odd side-scrolling racing game. That was their last released project, but they're currently working on Territoire, another major project that (from the demo) plays a lot like Civilization with a healthy dash of Final Fantasy Tactics or the like.

The reason you've never heard of them is because 1: none of those games have ever been translated, 2: even in Japan they're very small-scale, and 3: they're part of the Japanese equivalent to the indie scene, which is still quite underground. They've had some releases outside Japan (in Europe, to be precise) but- well, we can't officially comment on the record about what we think about the company who did said releases and their work/attitude towards EGS.

As far as EGS' titles go, it's worth noting that Chantelise was their first "original" title; like a lot of Japanese indie games, their early projects used existing IP like Threads of Fate and Read or Die. (That's another reason they didn't get released in the States, because they're licensing nightmares.) Chantelise, Recettear, and Territoire are all completely original stories and content, and thus have no licensing issues outside of working with EGS themselves.

Interestingly, Chantelise, Recettear and Territoire all share a setting, a kingdom that is essentially Fantasy Not-France (which is why the French crops up in the game). EGS has intimated to us that they have more games in this setting in the planning stages, to boot.

Also Territoire looks amazing for the record, but that's a whole other topic.

I do believe that Territoire game sounds rather enticing on premise alone...

Joule

Easy Game Station going international? Damn I'll have support to this. They've made some pretty fun games.

Einbroch

Banned
Just played the demo...what a fun game! Can't wait for the release.

Is it sad that this game just jumped to near the top of my most wanted list? :lol

ILikeFeet

Banned
Einbroch said:
Just played the demo...what a fun game! Can't wait for the release.

Is it sad that this game just jumped to near the top of my most wanted list? :lol

nope. charm goes a long way

somesang

Just played this before work and got hooked right away. How long is the demo?
Also, probably a bad comparison, but it totally reminded me of my childhood spent climbing the tower in:

6i8rcw.jpg

Same vibe, but I'm probably crazy.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I love this game. I'm day one, without a doubt.

I hope this game is the start of a trend. This game is perfect for the PC.

It's a great way to pass the time at work. :lol
somesang said:
Just played this before work and got hooked right away. How long is the demo?
You get 7 game days.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
This is translated by a couple guys on Something Awful. They deserve the support. They've been working their butts off on this.

Top Bottom