• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend the greatest novel to ever graced your eyes.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I'm reading more than ever. I'm getting through at minimum a book a week. Sometimes two. However, most of my books are nonfiction (mostly history and politics) and I need to read more fiction books.

So, if you were going to recommend one novel to somebody, what would it be? It can be a stand alone title, or it can be a whole series. Just needs to be fiction.

Hopefully we can all pick up some recommendations and increase our TBR pile.

My recommendation is:

The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro.

The premise of the novel sounds dull as dishwasher. A butler who has served in a stately home in Oxford, England decides to take a road trip around in England in 1956. During his travels, he reminisces about his time in service and past events from the 1920s and 1930s.

That's it, but don't let that fool you. This book is a true work of art and nothing short of a masterpiece. The greatest novel I've read? Possibly. It's certainly in my top five.

0571345743.jpg

Duellist

Maybe lame to some but my first novel I read was a dragonlance series called The twins trilogy. Had all three books in one Time of the twins, test of the twins and war of the twins. Lugged that fucker around high school for awhile lol. Absolutely loved it and it started my passion for fantasy.

TonyK

I truly love this book:
01k5KNs.jpg

Algernon is a laboratory mouse who has undergone surgery to increase his intelligence. The story is told by a series of progress reports written by Charlie Gordon, the first human subject for the surgery, and it touches on ethical and moral themes such as the treatment of the mentally disabled.

Although the book has often been challenged for removal from libraries in the United States and Canada, sometimes successfully, it is frequently taught in schools around the world and has been adapted many times for television, theater, radio and as the Academy award-winning film Charlie.

ikbalCO

The remains of the day is fantastic OP.

I would also recommend never let me go from the same author. I know nobel prizes given to authors body of work but i think never let me go open the door for ishiguro.

My two favorite books of all time are as follows:

Stoner by John Williams; an ordinary man's life story leaves you breathless and crying when its over.

Normal People by Sally Rooney; writing a convincing and relatable love story is really hard. And normal people is one the best love stories ever told in fiction imo.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Moby-Dick. It's a classic for a reason.
Also of note by Melville is "Typee," his first book. A semi-autobiographical story also of a maritime nature, it's shorter than Moby-Dick and its prose is simpler and more approchable.

Last edited:

Rest

I also highly recommend
The Metamorphosis of Prime Intellect
2rhzjMk.jpg

It's best to go into this book blind, but: It is a novella that explores what it means to be human and how people would adapt to immortality and the end of the world. It contains incredibly gruesome scenes of violence, rape, and torture. It is very, very good. I read it in one sitting.

You can read it for free at the author's website:
The author also posts on reddit and is pretty approachable. There is a review of the book and interview with the author on YouTube buy Atun-Shei Films. Be it does discuss the subject matter of the book, as well as some literary interpretation, including background information and interpretation by the author. As I said, I think it's best to go into the book as blind as possible, so I won't link to it here, but I feel it is an accurate review with a good exploration of the topic.

You can purchase an ebook here:

It is also available as a print on demand book for roughly $18 if you would like to order it from a local book store to support such a store and the author.

Last edited:

Rest

The Three Musketeers
Again, it's a classic for a reason. It's the prototype for the modern action movie, originally printed as a serial in a French magazine. It is fast paced, easily digestible, but remarkably not lacking any depth; it will suck you in before you know it, you will love (and hate) the characters, and at the end you will be well satisfied. I don't like to throw around the word masterpiece, but this books shows that Alexandre Dumas the elder was a master of a craft that he invented. The fact that it shines as brilliantly as it does after a translation is proof of how great the original is.

BigBooper

I think "The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch" is what I'd most recommend to most people. It's stuck with me over the years since I read it more than any other novel, whereas most of the cultural or social novels like say "To Kill a Mockingbird" eventually feel less relevant to me. Be prepared to feel detached.

b9yWmIl.jpg

Of course it's pretty impossible to narrow things down to a single "greatest" novel, but the first thing that came to mind for me was The Alchemist.

TheAlchemist.jpg

There are many great authors with many brilliant ideas, full of witty prose, but The Alchemist embodies the essence of what the adventure of life ought to be for us all imho. It's a work that has stuck with me. If you resonate with any idea of a mystical, deeper purpose to life in general, and your personal life in particular, it's unmissable.

Chronicle

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Ken Kesey

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde - Robert Louis Stevenson

Metamorphosis - Franz Kafka

MaestroMike

Gold Member
I remember I started reading les Miserables unabridged like 15 years ago in hs because some Amazon review said it was the best book ever and like 1000 pages long I think maybe I got a 100 pages in don't know or remember if the part I read was any good

Honestly, it's probably Misery by Stephen King.

I just found it absolutely immersive. The way he writes Annie Wilkes is perfect, she's pretty terrifying.

I don't think I've found another horror novel that kept me flicking the pages like that book did, and I've read through it again too. Something I normally never do with books.

Cohetedor

I'll throw another Stephen King one out there, Eyes of the Dragon. Found it on my parents bookshelf when I was about 9 years old, nice little fairytale. Was my first King novel, and still holds as one of my favorite.

Not sure if it's the greatest, but The Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance is one of the few books I've read more than once

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
51RRMQVuPlL.jpg

Part reality, part fiction, Thompson's account of two trips to Las Vegas with his friend Oscar Acosta, under the names of Raoul Duke and Dr. Gonzo. Originally published in Rolling Stone as a two parter and I think you can still read the whole book on their website. A Gonzo blend of real accounts of the Mint 400 desert race Thompson was sent to cover by Sports Illustrated (and a police convention on narcotics) and an excessive drug binge while lamenting the death of the American dream and reflecting on the hippie zeitgeist of the 1960s.

My synopsis doesn't really do it justice.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I'll throw another recommendation into the mix and another one that's in my top 5.

Silence by Shūsaku Endō

This is a dark and thought provoking read.

Set in 17th century Japan. A Portuguese Jesuit missionary is sent to Japan to assist the local Church and investigate reports that his mentor has committed apostasy. However, this is a dark period in Japan for the followers of Jesus Christ. Japan is undergoing the Kakure Kirishitan period where Japanese Christians are being persecuted by the Tokugawa shogunate.

A absolute must read and easily one of the best novels to come out of the 20th century.

25663949.jpg

Rest

These men know literature:

Top Bottom