• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ReCore Definitive Edition coming soon

Iced Arcade

was playing the other night and this game would rock IF it had tolerable load times. I literally get bored and lose interests due to it.

I sold the game when it became too grindy for my tastes. They need to include the cut content and fix the controls if they want me back in.

The controls did work well for some folks. What aspect did you find lacking?
Months? Oh come on, maybe they have a small team working on it but they risk people who were waiting, losing interest and just moving on. It's another example of them bumbling something.

It's a shame what's happened to this game, I can see a lot of potential in it. Great leading character, charming robot allies, cool setting and story, what it needed was more polished visuals, better waypoint system and a bit more variety in the mission structure.

If by some miracle we get a sequel then I hope it's given more polish across the board. If done right this could be a successful IP for Microsoft.

All good points, though for some fans, it may be mildly encouraging that they seem to be committing to ”more content" (”awesome updates" / ”great stuff") beyond just the T8-NK bot and HDR:
https://twitter.com/ReCoreGame/status/865689519890210816
3:03 PM - 19 May 2017 
Definitely not dead! Thanks for your patience while the team continues to work on T8-NK, HDR and more content.

https://twitter.com/ReCoreGame/status/875074032378499073
12:34 PM - 14 Jun 2017
Haha, we understand. :) Thanks for waiting with us. The team is working away on some great stuff and we'll share more in a few months!

https://twitter.com/ReCoreGame/status/875075390968131585
12:40 PM - 14 Jun 2017
Hey [...]! The team is still working away with awesome updates and we'll have more to share in a few more months. Thanks for waiting with us!

Hexer06

Kinda wondering if they're doing a really big update. Maybe even a complete overhaul of the game. Will be interesting to see. I've been waiting for this update to jump back into the game.

They should have just launched this game a year later. ReCore was an unfinished, unpolished mess. The team was clearly not given the time they needed.

The controls did work well for some folks. What aspect did you find lacking?

All good points, though for some fans, it may be mildly encouraging that they seem to be committing to “more content” (“awesome updates” / “great stuff”) beyond just the T8-NK bot and HDR:

True. I would love to see a revamp of some sorts. Recore has massive potential imo I know some may laugh at that but I genuinely believe it. If it had that AAA finese it could be a superb first party franchise.

Weird. Since they're seemingly putting a lot of time/work into fixing the game, gives hope that they see a future for the franchise. Maybe they'll announce a sequel alongside the release.

Well, MS must be paying for this extra content/extra work going into the Definitive Edition, so if they're still funding development for a whole year after the game first launched (as in, a "few more months" from now) it must have done well enough to make MS happy, right?! Or maybe a small team is finishing working on this while the rest of the studio is making a start on the sequel.

Sydle

Surprised to see someone mentioned they should fix the controls. The game felt great, it just didn't look that good and there were a lot of bugs.

If they can eliminate the bugs and clean up the textures on top of the new bot and area then it's going to be enough for me to jump back in. It would be cool if they went even further with improving how they tell the story, enhancing visuals, and adding some variety to the landscapes and combat.

I'll second that the IP has potential to become a series. It's one of the best feeling platformers I've played in years.

Ricker

I liked a lot of stuff in ReCore but hit a wall on a Boss and just gave up(probably went there too fast) and it wasnt really an easy game to grind if I remember, and started other stuff and never got back to it.

Might try it again with this.

EmiPrime

Because I loved the game ?

Will be very happy to make a second run when the new content is ready.

I liked the game too but they should have got it right the first time and at the very least they should have released the cut content shortly after launch. Re-releasing the game (a year later!) in the state it should have been at launch after it got the middling reviews and had its price slashed is like closing the stable door after the horse has bolted.

was playing the other night and this game would rock IF it had tolerable load times. I literally get bored and lose interests due to it.
...ReCore was an unfinished, unpolished mess...

This reminds me: if there's anyone who is still thinking of picking up ReCore, and you're able to play on a decent PC, would definitely recommend trying to get ahold of the digital version (Digital Foundry: XB1 vs. 1060 vs 480), even though it's the more expensive version (Amazon currently has the digital version at $27.68, while the physical/XB1-only version is $15.08). All load times were less than 15 seconds for me on PC (on an SSD), and it looks like PC folks using a regular HDD actually had exactly the same load times (less than 15 seconds). I don't have an XB1, and while reports do seem to indicate that the three major patches (9/19/16, 10/5/16 & 11/15/16) have improved XB1 load times, it still sounded like they were well-behind the PC version.
Dave Bierton of Digital Foundry said:
[7min04sec] ...although performance really could be better, it's not a complete dealbreaker, and combat still comes across as pretty exciting, just not as polished as it perhaps could be... [8min40sec] ...Overall, I really enjoyed ReCore, the Metroid-style gameplay and the beautiful aesthetics with the visuals, something I simply didn't expect from a Unity engine game. ReCore definitely looks like a big-budget AAA title. It's not a perfect game by any means, and the performance could be improved on Xbox One, but overall it's a decent-looking title that has several captivating elements to it... [YouTube - Digital Foundry Analysis]

Zedox

I am upset that I have to wait even more MONTHS for T8NK. They better have whole new textures/graphics, T8NK, and more story or something. Jeez.

PaulloDEC

This reminds me: if there's anyone who is still thinking of picking up ReCore, and you're able to play on a decent PC, would definitely recommend trying to get ahold of the digital version (Digital Foundry: XB1 vs. 1060 vs 480), even though it's the more expensive version (Amazon currently has the digital version at $27.68, while the physical/XB1-only version is $15.08). All load times were less than 15 seconds for me on PC (on an SSD), and it looks like PC folks using a regular HDD actually had exactly the same load times (less than 15 seconds). I don't have an XB1, and while reports do seem to indicate that the three major patches (9/19/16, 10/5/16 & 11/15/16) have improved XB1 load times, it still sounded like they were well-behind the PC version.

Yup, I played on PC and had no complaints on the technical front. Ran at a consistent 60fps (at higher than native resolution, too) on my modest machine with everything maxed out, or very close to IIRC. Very reasonable load times as well.

Looks like we might finally be getting some news soon. A reddit user's achievement list updated ReCore with new art for the definitive edition.

Recore-Definitive-Edition.png

This also implies that the definitive edition will be an update for existing owners.

JoeLT

Looks like we might finally be getting some news soon. A reddit user's achievement list updated ReCore with new art for the definitive edition.

Recore-Definitive-Edition.png

This also implies that the definitive edition will be an update for existing owners.
Yeah this seems to confirm they're just updating the current game for everyone and the original version will no longer exist. Was worried they would go the Ori Definition Edition way and charge it as a whole new game with new achievements and everything.

Has there been any mention of the Definitive Edition polishing the game at all? I never played it originally because of how janky and unpolished the movement and combat looked.

I wonder just what is going to be in the DE of ReCore?

It was supposed to drop around Q1 of this year, I think?

I'm still holding off finishing the game until this is out, so hurry the fuck up! Please :)

Jacqli

I was holding back the purchase of this game due to these Definitive Edition news. But if it is a free update, I might wait and buy the cheapest copy I can find.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Has there been any mention of the Definitive Edition polishing the game at all? I never played it originally because of how janky and unpolished the movement and combat looked.

I could be wrong but I don't think it's even been officially announced.

interested to see what all they added with this additional dev time.

I enjoyed the game a lot, but I stopped playing due to being distracted by other games.

gamz

Been waiting to buy it for this version. Curious to see what they do with it. Such a great concept.

Great artwork btw.

Gestault

I know it's wishful thinking, but I hope they ported the game over to Unreal Engine 4.

Doing the call indexing you're supposed to do at the end of development would solve most of the problems people think they know about Unity. The engine had very little to do with the tech shortcomings on the XB1 version.

A port like you're describing would be a pointless endeavor unless they legitimately wanted to double the cost of making the game, and/or probably introduce more problems than it would fix.

Zedox

I'm still waiting. I love this game, it just needed more time in the kitchen. I hope the definitive edition is good and gets some more sales as I think MS should hold onto this IP.

BiggNife

I really, really hope this version is what the game should have been to begin with.

The first few hours of Recore were really fun but I heard so many negative things about the second half that I stopped.

Jawmuncher

Playing on PC the only negative I had was the platforming at the end of the game goes on for a bit too long. Didn't really have much issues outside of that.

jond76

Banned
When the news came that dlc with the tank robot I stopped playing to wait for it. I've been waiting a long time, I'll probably just start over. Its a fun game.

Castef

Banned
More like ReCore ReCoded.

I'm happy about this, I liked the game and I was hoping they could work a bit more on it to fix what I did not like.

Let's see if the manage to recover what's good in this game (it is quite a lot) and make it better.

Top Bottom