• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recore Interview with Joe Staten and Keiji Inafune (Gamescom)

jbug617

Banned
via Windows Central
http://www.windowscentral.com/interview-keiji-inafune-joseph-staten-recore

Loot drops and Crafting
Staten: So when you're playing the game, you probably saw that you're picking up parts, materials, spider optics and beast knuckles and all of these parts that fall off the Corebots. The system is a blueprint system. So you'll have a recipe, ingredients, parts, and as you travel around the world, you're able to collect them and then make these blueprints into frame pieces for your Corebots.

You can upgrade the look of your dog, the look of the spider, the look of your beast. It's not just the look either, they have combat properties as well, stat changes. So Mack is a good example, you can find an armor set that will turn the normal Mack dog into a wolfish, pointed-snout type, or a big, heavy bulldog, and some other more exotic things too.
AVaUhEw.jpg

hdEC1on.png

Dungeons:
Staten: I'll just say without ruining the surprise that if you're a fan of Metroid and the idea that there are places in the world that you just can't get to right away. They're teasing you, tantalizing you. "If I just had the right thing to get up high to get to that door I could go and explore it." Recore is the exact same way. There are absolutely places in the world that you'll see early, that you won't be able to get to, that you'll be able to come back to later.

Reason for $39.99 price point:
Inafune: So the price point was decided very early on in collaboration with Microsoft. The reason they did that strategic price point was to try to appeal to a much wider audience. Microsoft already has a wide library of mature rated games that are for the super-hardcore and the older target audience. But with ReCore, what we're trying to do is make something a little lighter, it has a teen rating, but it still has a lot to offer fans from all sorts of audiences.

Game Length:
Inafune: So the game takes around eight to ten hours for our playtesters who know the direct path, start to finish. That doesn't include exploring, finding the extras, easter eggs and so on.

So I would certainly say in terms of how everything is oriented, ReCore leans much more heavily towards action – but that doesn't mean to say puzzling and story takes a back seat. I would probably place it at around two-thirds action, with puzzling and storytelling taking up around one-third. A lot of those gameplay aspects are integrated seamlessly, story elements will show up through segments even in combat, with voice overs.

There is more in the interview in regards to the combat (easy to play but hard to master) and the story.

SOR5

Omg posted at the exact same time

Also the world is a hub with Zelda style exploration according to the IGN interview, and dungeons serving as the main tests of gameplay, like Zelda

But its like Metroid

But its like Mega Man

A lot of names are being dropped

When Phil Spencer said he wanted more first party games like Nintendo, this is very much what he meant I think, only time will tell if he's got what he wants

I'll probably wait for reviews before touching this one. I don't have a lot of trust in Inafune.

What a conflicting pair to interview, for me. I love Staten's work, and hate everything Inafune's made in years.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
At gamescom this was a very positive surprise to me. Had a lot of fun with the demo. It now is firmly on my "to buy" list.

Zedox

We need some PC info like specs and options. I would like to know if they went all out like Gears 4 (I doubt).

Wozman23

I hope the $39.99 price point helps Recore. It reminds me of the solid b-tier games we used to get last generation. The $40 price point convinced me to take a chance on it.

Sony has experimented with the idea with mixed results, but they've been many of my favorite games. Ratchet & Clank (PS4) seemed to be a success. Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time did okay, but I'm still hoping for that sequel. Tearaway Unfolded didn't fare as well, and poor Puppeteer fell in a beautiful forest without making a sound.

J@hranimo

Banned
Still pretty excited this is coming to PC. The corebot customization looks pretty good.

Even with the stigma of Inafune I feel this game will do just fine.

Foddzy

Neo Member
The stigma of Inafune? Heh, this is totally not my type of game but I'll probably snap it up just knowing Inafune worked on it. My only play of an Infune game was Dead Rising but danm, that was SO fantastic! He's got me now.

Novocaine

Yeah Inafune borked MN9 bad, but I love Soul Sacrifice, so I'm willing to give him another chance. Not buying before I see reviews or a GB quick look though.

The stigma of Inafune? Heh, this is totally not my type of game but I'll probably snap it up just knowing Inafune worked on it. My only play of an Infune game was Dead Rising but danm, that was SO fantastic! He's got me now.

[Kamiya quote on Inafune]

Anyway, I've got faith. Staten and Pacini are more than capable of steering this ship even with Inafune on board.

...What if it turns out that Mighty No.9 was sacrificed to focus on this instead...

ReCore |OT| Metroid Prime 4

(Can someone else come up with a better Federation Force iceburn for the OT title?)

Novocaine

[Kamiya quote on Inafune]

Anyway, I've got faith. Staten and Pacini are more than capable of steering this ship even with Inafune on board.

...What if it turns out that Mighty No.9 was sacrificed to focus on this instead...

ReCore |OT| Metroid Prime 4

(Can someone else come up with a better Federation Force iceburn for the OT title?)

I have to admit that thought crossed my mind. I'm pretty sure answering to Microsoft would be much scarier than answering to a bunch of KS backers.

Nice. Bringing back the AA game @ $40. The price is right!

It's more 'joining the ranks of AA games at $40', I seem to remember Sony doing a fair bit of this at the end of last gen (Sly/Puppeteer). Sadly those two didn't do so well, although Ratchet wasn't full price (iirc) and did a lot better. Hopefully Recore will see similar success, it certainly does look charming.

Omg posted at the exact same time

Also the world is a hub with Zelda style exploration according to the IGN interview, and dungeons serving as the main tests of gameplay, like Zelda

But its like Metroid

But its like Mega Man

A lot of names are being dropped

When Phil Spencer said he wanted more first party games like Nintendo, this is very much what he meant I think, only time will tell if he's got what he wants

This is nothing like Metroid.

Sydle

Crafting? This just got more interesting.

I need to hear that the PC version runs well and I'll buy it.

etta

my hard graphic balls
That 970/980 Ti requirement better be for maxed out 1440p/4K at 60 fps because this game does not look graphically intensive at all.

Dremark

Banned

He's a producer, not a game developer. I wouldn't buy or avoid game based on his involvement (unless it's a Kickstarter project, then screw that), especially since stuff under him has been hit or miss especially in more recent years.

I would judge the game based on it's own merits and go from there.

Top Bottom