• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recore Preview Thread (Mega Man meets Con Man meets Metroid Prime)

73 metacritic or thereabouts.

Looking forward to playing it this week, will be a different kinda different game to what I've been playing the last few months.

Chris1

Guess I went too high with my prediction LOL, though I probably could have picked my 81 out of a hat and probably had a better reason for going with it. Recore is a funny game, we know almost nothing about it really so it could review literally anything. Most games you usually have a rough idea but I don't even know where to begin attempting to accurately guess here.

Xemnas89

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=El1oDfHZxIU&t=34m05s

The freaking climbing corebot is like a super fun version of spiderball tracks in metroid prime. So gooooood

Everything I'm seeing from this guys gameplay videos is making me excited for this game. This game looks as if it was made for me. I hope it does well enough that we continue to see Armature work on original games in the future instead of ports and HD remasters.

Justinh

Everything I'm seeing from this guys gameplay videos is making me excited for this game.

Me too, I guess. I never really followed the game after it was revealed and pretty much ignored everything about this game until about a week ago. I guess it's just that I want something new to play and it's not full-priced, but watching some videos it looks like a game that really scratches some itches I like scratched (if that makes sense).

I'm hoping the loading time issue doesn't bother me too much, it didn't bother me too much in Witcher 3 and they were bad in that game too. Hopefully the areas are large enough that they're not too close together.

Xemnas89

Me too, I guess. I never really followed the game after it was revealed and pretty much ignored everything about this game until about a week ago. I guess it's just that I want something new to play and it's not full-priced, but watching some videos it looks like a game that really scratches some itches I like scratched (if that makes sense).

I'm hoping the loading time issue doesn't bother me too much, it didn't bother me too much in Witcher 3 and they were bad in that game too. Hopefully the areas are large enough that they're not too close together.

Yeah that makes sense. Sometimes you just want something a little different to cleanse the palette. I'm hoping the loading times don't bother me too much. I won't be getting the game till the 30th so I kind of hope there's a patch between now and then that improves them a bit.

oSoLucky

I had 0 hype for this game until about 2 days ago. The aesthetic just put me off from the jump for some reason. Reading up on it though, I may just grab a copy on Tuesday. Having such a hard time deciding between physical(secondhand resale and cheaper up front, plus I like cases/packaging) or digital(Play Anywhere). I wish I could leave the disc in my XB1 and still use Play Anywhere. Just have the system briefly power on to check that I still own the game.

Phloxy

That video posted up there is mine, thanks for everybody here who watched and I'm glad it has helped people make there decision to purchase or not purchase the game. I'm going to post my impressions after cresting the 13 hour mark.

This game is really special, it feels as if you took a lot of modern conventions in games today. I.E, open world, crafting, leveling, loot, holding buttons down to select stuff in your inventory, and tossed it into a time machine and brought it into 2004. A time before dlc, pre-order bonus's, over saturated trailer releases and season passes. A time when developers would give players 1 + 1 and trust the player to add it up to 2 on their own.

It throws you in after a very brief cutscene and you are just playing the game. Simple concept I know but it's easy to forget how many games can't figure that out. It just lets you into it's world, gives you control, and hardly ever tries to take it back from you in anyway. The controls are tight, easy to understand and what it lacks in animations it makes up for with how responsive it feels at all times. Double jump air dashing while grappling to a wall just FEELS right and always works.

The type of control where you can't blame the game, just yourself for just missing that platform. It's a a farcry from the modern game where things like platforming, danger and real agency over your movement feels stripped down to almost QTE levels. This game never plays itself for you, and because of that feels incredibly satisfying every time you get through a tough section.

As for the modern trappings, like the open world for example. Not so much open as in Skyrim or Witcher, think more Zelda, Metroid, and Darksiders. Big open hub areas with tantalizing glimpses of "Oh, I can't wait to get the ability I need to get to that!"

The crafting and leveling are also treated well, it uses a color coded system based on your corebots and a pretty simple and easy to use parts system. Take 3 rusty parts, make one good part,and vice versa. This is all used to level up the corebots.

Leveling the corebots is all from the combat. The combat system is pretty simple at first. Z-targeting style lock on, basic shot or charge shot. Enemy health bars are broken into sectors and if you get the lifebar below the white marker you can extract the enemy core. This is where the combat ties into crafting. Extracting a core gives you it,which you then use to level a corebots attack (Red), defense(Yellow), and shield (Blue). Choose not to extract a core and you will instead get more crafting parts to make gear with.

The combat however ramps up, with new techniques and a combo multiplier system which rewards you with more damage and higher loot chance the higher a combo goes. The simple controls make sense when you start to fight multiple enemies, and realize you will need those tight controls as you double jump and air dash around the projectiles in almost bullet hell fashion. Jumping into combat, breaking a shield with a charge shot, calling your corebot to juggle and then extracting before the enemy hits the ground is a really fun combat loop not unlike a combat loop from Halo, with the grenades, gunfire, melee.

Corebots are also extremely customizable, and even in my videos you can see how vastly different Mack can look with different parts. No matter how you dress them up though, the personality of all your corebots always shines. This game does a great job with building characters, not too dissimilar from Wall-E. None of the corebots can speak english, or any language you understand. They are so well developed and established that anytime something bad would happen to them I would care. Joule is very well developed and you believe in her adventure. Her questions as too why and what happened to her father and Earth are well done. You will end up wanting to solve the mystery as much as she does.

This game does have faults, it isn't perfect. The load times which I showed off in a video can be frustrating at times, 35- 45s, and downright bad at others. Some huge hubs or dying will have a load of up too a minute and a half or longer of staring at a dull load screen. As of right now I haven't tested it on a PC or an external drive, so this Tuesday I'm sure other people will chime in with there impressions.

Despite the minor quirks and bad load times, I never wanted to stop playing. As I type this I am thinking about the next dungeon I have to do, area to explore and crafting parts to obtain. It feels as if Samus crash landed in a strange place, and was forced to survive without her powersuit for once.

Overall, I won't give this game a score. Metacritic is bad for the industry and too many people rely on an arbitrary 0-79 score is bad and anything 80-90 is "merely" good. This game is fun, it's just fun as hell. It's the kind of feeling I haven't felt since playing Jax and Daxter/RnC on my PS2 , Otogi/Gun Valkrie on my Xbox or Metroid Prime on my Gamecube.
It's just fun to play the game, and you can't put a score on fun. Unless you're Gamepro that is. Pick it up, even for full price its completely worth it, and enjoy a videogame ass videogame for once.

P.S, Joe Staten even watched my videos, and wants to hear my review of the game. I geek'd out pretty hard over that.

J@hranimo

Banned
Great impressions Phloxy! Looks like a game that'll be fun the more you play, and it is really good to hear the combat does get more involved later on. I'll see if I can grab this on Tuesday for Windows 10 :)

That video posted up there is mine, thanks for everybody here who watched and I'm glad it has helped people make there decision to purchase or not purchase the game. I'm going to post my impressions after cresting the 13 hour mark.

This game is really special, it feels as if you took a lot of modern conventions in games today. I.E, open world, crafting, leveling, loot, holding buttons down to select stuff in your inventory, and tossed it into a time machine and brought it into 2004. A time before dlc, pre-order bonus's, over saturated trailer releases and season passes. A time when developers would give players 1 + 1 and trust the player to add it up to 2 on their own.

It throws you in after a very brief cutscene and you are just playing the game. Simple concept I know but it's easy to forget how many games can't figure that out. It just lets you into it's world, gives you control, and hardly ever tries to take it back from you in anyway. The controls are tight, easy to understand and what it lacks in animations it makes up for with how responsive it feels at all times. Double jump air dashing while grappling to a wall just FEELS right and always works.

The type of control where you can't blame the game, just yourself for just missing that platform. It's a a farcry from the modern game where things like platforming, danger and real agency over your movement feels stripped down to almost QTE levels. This game never plays itself for you, and because of that feels incredibly satisfying every time you get through a tough section.

As for the modern trappings, like the open world for example. Not so much open as in Skyrim or Witcher, think more Zelda, Metroid, and Darksiders. Big open hub areas with tantalizing glimpses of "Oh, I can't wait to get the ability I need to get to that!"

The crafting and leveling are also treated well, it uses a color coded system based on your corebots and a pretty simple and easy to use parts system. Take 3 rusty parts, make one good part,and vice versa. This is all used to level up the corebots.

Leveling the corebots is all from the combat. The combat system is pretty simple at first. Z-targeting style lock on, basic shot or charge shot. Enemy health bars are broken into sectors and if you get the lifebar below the white marker you can extract the enemy core. This is where the combat ties into crafting. Extracting a core gives you it,which you then use to level a corebots attack (Red), defense(Yellow), and shield (Blue). Choose not to extract a core and you will instead get more crafting parts to make gear with.

The combat however ramps up, with new techniques and a combo multiplier system which rewards you with more damage and higher loot chance the higher a combo goes. The simple controls make sense when you start to fight multiple enemies, and realize you will need those tight controls as you double jump and air dash around the projectiles in almost bullet hell fashion. Jumping into combat, breaking a shield with a charge shot, calling your corebot to juggle and then extracting before the enemy hits the ground is a really fun combat loop not unlike a combat loop from Halo, with the grenades, gunfire, melee.

Corebots are also extremely customizable, and even in my videos you can see how vastly different Mack can look with different parts. No matter how you dress them up though, the personality of all your corebots always shines. This game does a great job with building characters, not too dissimilar from Wall-E. None of the corebots can speak english, or any language you understand. They are so well developed and established that anytime something bad would happen to them I would care. Joule is very well developed and you believe in her adventure. Her questions as too why and what happened to her father and Earth are well done. You will end up wanting to solve the mystery as much as she does.

This game does have faults, it isn't perfect. The load times which I showed off in a video can be frustrating at times, 35- 45s, and downright bad at others. Some huge hubs or dying will have a load of up too a minute and a half or longer of staring at a dull load screen. As of right now I haven't tested it on a PC or an external drive, so this Tuesday I'm sure other people will chime in with there impressions.

Despite the minor quirks and bad load times, I never wanted to stop playing. As I type this I am thinking about the next dungeon I have to do, area to explore and crafting parts to obtain. It feels as if Samus crash landed in a strange place, and was forced to survive without her powersuit for once.

Overall, I won't give this game a score. Metacritic is bad for the industry and too many people rely on an arbitrary 0-79 score is bad and anything 80-90 is "merely" good. This game is fun, it's just fun as hell. It's the kind of feeling I haven't felt since playing Jax and Daxter/RnC on my PS2 , Otogi/Gun Valkrie on my Xbox or Metroid Prime on my Gamecube.
It's just fun to play the game, and you can't put a score on fun. Unless you're Gamepro that is. Pick it up, even for full price its completely worth it, and enjoy a videogame ass videogame for once.

P.S, Joe Staten even watched my videos, and wants to hear my review of the game. I geek'd out pretty hard over that.

Wait did Joe Staten post a comment or something?!

Also, are you done the game?

shanafan

Yeah, I am curious if the PC will have faster load times than the Xbox One.

I am tempted to pick this up this week because I really want to try out the Xbox Play Anywhere feature that this game has.

A little bird told me that MS is trying a hard twitch push for ReCore tomorrow. I know CohhCarnage is gonna pay it (he has about ~15000 average viewers), and I heard Lirik will as well (he has about ~30000 average viewers).

Although...I have a feeling Lirik will trash the game hardcore.

J@hranimo

Banned
A little bird told me that MS is trying a hard twitch push for ReCore tomorrow. I know CohhCarnage is gonna pay it (he has about ~15000 average viewers), and I heard Lirik will as well (he has about ~30000 average viewers).

Although...I have a feeling Lirik will trash the game hardcore.

Oh really? I like Cohh, gonna have to check his stream out then.

Only watched a little bit of Phloxy's vids but they've made the game look like it could be pretty fun. I can't believe how quickly I've turned round on this game in the last week or so, still gonna wait for reviews but it'll take a disastrous metacritic score to put me off now.

Lower price point + game sharing makes it really easy for me to take a punt on the game.

Vinc

Soooold!

Thanks for the impressions :D

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood

Ok, I had decided over the last week or so that I'm going to buy this, but this post makes me really glad I'm buying it.

Drewfonse

Thanks for the write up!

This sounds more and more like the game ive been waiting for to get me out of my gaming funk. Nothing seems to hold my interest anymore.

Phloxy

No problem, I'm glad to write it up. As somebody who has been gaming for 20 years this game just hit me like I never thought it would at all. As for Joe Staten, he wrote to me on Twitter and responded to a random line I said halfway through one of the videos, and said he's looking forward to hearing my thoughts on it.

I'm playing on a standard Xbox one, normal hdd.

Top Bottom