• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recreate your favorite videogame moments using MS Paint: 2009 Edition!

traveler

Not Wario
Well, I'm not much of an artist (yet at least) and I wanted to convey the moment without spoiling it, so here it is. It's not much...

wbfcbb.jpg

...but I think it works.

600$ said:
Some really amazing works, guys! I'll leave mine...

cptfalconcopy3.gif
I... I love you.

Really, I love it! Great job. In fact, a lot of you guys in this thread are amazing! I'm currently working on a piece myself. I'll add it here when I'm done.

1stStrike

Banned
This is late and not 08 and I'm terrible at drawing (especially with a mouse in paint) but this scene really got me (and still does whenever I watch it).

hal.jpg

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
So the unapproved member Paulathon contacted me via YouTube; he wants to show you his pics, but can't post yet. I'll link them here so that you can look at his stuff!

GAF mods, approve this man!

layton.png
saints.png

gta4.png
pinata.png

shiren.png

Paulathon, ladies and gentlemen.

NZNova

wmat said:
So the unapproved member Paulathon contacted me via YouTube; he wants to show you his pics, but can't post yet. I'll link them here so that you can look at his stuff!

layton.png

I can see this one getting some use :lol

traveler

Not Wario
wmat said:

pinata.png

What is this from?

Darkpen

Banned
Sidzed2 said:
This is not a beautiful piece of art, I know, but I think it serves a crude testament to one of the greatest, most powerful moments in all of gaming:

sotc.jpg
wow, that's very artsy, I would so frame that :D

NotWii

Banned
KeeSomething said:
It took me a few hours, but I finally finished my favorite video game moment on MS Paint. All done with mouse... Yikes!
2j49iis.jpg
You son of a bitch!
Now I have to start a new Yoshi's Island file :p

Kevtones

Ico.jpg

I haven't had time to really put the time/effort into one yet (Persona 4 is to blame) - but here is one I did last year lulz

CTLance

Keep 'em coming guys. Awesome pics all around.
SovanJedi said:
That's awesome KeeSomething! I love those big fellahs (whatever they're called... Nep-E-Nuts?)
I'm not helping, but we always referred to that guy as Waigel, or Theodor. Fun was had by all.
Just look at those bushy eyebrows. The resemblance ... it's uncanny.
adkwhf.jpg

...yeah, it was a lot more funny when I was young. Guess you had to be there. And be young. And easily amused. And stuff.

Anyway, my first encounter with "Waigel" ended thusly: Mario in his bubble to the right side, Yoshi on the left, and ... well, Kamek was happy that one time.
sb4vhi.png

(Just to bring the level of art back down to a sane level again. You Mouse-wielding, Paint-dominating freaks of nature spoil the fun for us plebs! ;) )

Mohonky

Its funny to see that people are using the most basic of image programs and yet some of the result, from a stylistic point of view, are absolutely stunning.

yeb

KeeSomething said:
It took me a few hours, but I finally finished my favorite video game moment on MS Paint. All done with mouse... Yikes!
2j49iis.jpg
The bushes in the background look like clouds. The clouds look like bushes. Oh god, why'd you have to remind me of that?

because you're amazing

Wow, thanks, guys! I didn't expect so much postive feedback. I'm inspired to do anyother MS Paint video game moment (but I'll do that later)!

SovanJedi said:
I love those big fellahs (whatever they're called... Nep-E-Nuts?)
Yup, they're called Nep-Enuts. When I was 4, those things used to scare me to the point where I'd have to run upstairs (my SNES was in the basement) and get my mom or someone to stand there while I played through that part.

yeb said:
The bushes in the background look like clouds. The clouds look like bushes. Oh god, why'd you have to remind me of that?
Good ol' Super Mario Bros.

NekoFever

_Alkaline_ said:
That was pretty much my reaction. Wow.

Some of the stuff here is incredible. An equal number need to know how to compress an image, though - it's like looking at screenshots on IGN.

Anyway, this is a project that never really got off the ground a couple of summers ago when I was interested in isometric pixel art and had the idea of doing my favourite environments from games. This was as far as I got, but every element of the structure is exact to the screenshots that I have:

dojo124.png

I'm tempted to try to at least finish that part off.

Earthpainting said:
Super Mario RPG.
10f5kea.gif
Love it! Love it!

SovanJedi said:
Here you go CTLance:

lich.gif
You have skill, by friend. You should start a career by MSPaint-ifying video game scenes.

By the way, I was listening to the Forest Temple theme (Ocarina of Time).... Will you please do a scene from the Forest Temple?

Wark

NekoFever said:
That was pretty much my reaction. Wow.

Some of the stuff here is incredible. An equal number need to know how to compress an image, though - it's like looking at screenshots on IGN.

Anyway, this is a project that never really got off the ground a couple of summers ago when I was interested in isometric pixel art and had the idea of doing my favourite environments from games. This was as far as I got, but every element of the structure is exact to the screenshots that I have:

http://xs435.xs.to/xs435/09046/dojo124.png

I'm tempted to try to at least finish that part off.

Awesome work man! What game is this supposed to be? Shenmue?

I'm trying to get better at pixel art myself, but I can't get anything to look right.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
KeeSomething said:
2j49iis.jpg

So... your favorite moment was looking at the cover?
Looks good, but...

yoshi_island_cover.jpg

Baconbitz

Banned
KeeSomething said:
2j49iis.jpg
H**LY SH*T :O You did that with a mouse in paint? OMG that is amazing. You sir are an artist.
Edit: Can you make that background size?

NekoFever

McBacon said:
I love isometric pixel art.

Is that Ryo Hazuki's house?
Wark said:
Awesome work man! What game is this supposed to be? Shenmue?

I'm trying to get better at pixel art myself, but I can't get anything to look right.
Yep.

hazuki168.jpg

My one there was actually done in Photoshop, but I only used the paintbrush tool set to 1x1 and did it pixel by pixel, so it's nothing that can't be done in Paint. There's also a great Mac app called Pixen, which is all about pixel art.

Sword Familiar said:
So... your favorite moment was looking at the cover?
Looks good, but...
Uh-oh! You exposed me. No, I just needed a reference to look at because I suck on Paint (well, I did; now I see it's not that hard as long as you have a lot of patients).

Baconbitz said:
H**LY SH*T :O You did that with a mouse in paint? OMG that is amazing. You sir are an artist.
Edit: Can you make that background size?
Thanks.
This is the best I could do for the background:
http://i39.tinypic.com/1z1yyyu.jpg

Earthpainting said:
I....

Thank you. *tears up*

1stStrike

Banned
*hangs head in shame* I used to practice drawing with my friend...we did all the same exercises. He went on to become a graphic artist and I failed miserably at everything I did in art. Go figure :p

This one didn't take nearly as long to finish as my last, but I still like the way it turned out. Climbing Tal Tal Heights is still one of the most epic moments of any game ever.
2m7izyv.jpg

Sword Familiar

KeeSomething said:
This one didn't take nearly as long to finish as my last, but I still like the way it turned out. Climbing Tal Tal Heights is still one of the most epic moments of any game ever.
2m7izyv.jpg

Now THAT I can endorse. Keep up the good work. ;)

Sword Familiar said:
Now THAT I can endorse. Keep up the good work. ;)
Thank you.

It's funny how an 8-bit Gameboy game has left such a strong impact on me. It's not even nostalgia because I frequently go back to LA, and everytime I climb that mountain range and hear that song, I get a sense of adventure unlike any other game. The essense of Zelda can be found on that mountain, I tell you! I kid you not.

Sword Familiar

KeeSomething said:
Thank you.

It's funny how an 8-bit Gameboy game has left such a stronge impact on me. It's not even nostalgia because I frequently go back to LA, and everytime I climb that mountain range and hear that song, I get a sense of adventure unlike any other game. The essense of Zelda can be found on that mountain, I tell you! I kid you not.

Absolutely. TalTal Heights is probably my favorite Zelda tune.

PhlivoSong said:
Uremifasolasiututut said:
A sequel of sorts to the last picture I submitted.

VagrantStory2-2.jpg

Gets me everytime...

*sniff*
Deserves a bump. What is this from? The color palette is beautiful.

Uh, sorry, I didn't see this until now.

The scene is from Vagrant Story, done entirely with the spray paint, bucket and pencil tools.

Amazing game.

^Wow, Uremifasolasiututut. You're name is too long, and I don't get it at all.

But! You're paint skills are mad! Can you please do another one in the same spraypaint style?

Top Bottom