• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead may have been graphically downgraded with recent patch

iconmaster

Banned
http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2019...osedly_downgraded_following_patch_1_06_on_ps4

https://www.dualshockers.com/red-dead-redemption-2-rdr2-graphics-downgrade/

I'm not sure if there's anything going on here -- we need Digital Foundry to have a good look -- but there are reports of a visual downgrade following patch 1.06. Some are pointing to a loss of ambient occlusion, others think it's a lighting change.

I haven't checked myself yet. Anyone else finding this to be true?

Based on the pics in the tweets there definitely seems to be a difference in lighting, or lighting is flat out missing in one place

Hinedorf

Banned
I've been playing the hell out of this game since patch and if there was a downgrade it's not that noticeable unless you're really trying.

The patch notes that Rockstar puts out does not help with fans wanting to nitpick

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
They had to do a stealth downgrade to the whole engine to get the flying locomotives with lots of neon particle effects running in online mode without slowing the frame rate down to a crawl.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Could this just be a bug with a recent patch?. I mean the game runs fine on consoles anyway doesn't it?

That is what we are hoping, since it did run the same either way. People are saying it only impacts the single player and seems to be working in online, but have not confirmed that.

ZehDon

I believe a similar thing occurred in GTAV on next gen (current gen) where they inadvertently patched out parallax mapping in some instances, and had to reintroduce it in a later patch.

iconmaster

Banned
Could this just be a bug with a recent patch?. I mean the game runs fine on consoles anyway doesn't it?

Yeah, there were no significant frame rate issues in single player so it’s be odd if this was intentional. And if it’s really just the single player being affected as DeepEnigma DeepEnigma heard, then that makes no sense at all.

LOLCats

Banned
I took a break after release (as i always do) and havnt gone back yet. Not a huge deal for me, but if i was playing right now, id be a little miffd.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I took a break after release (as i always do) and havnt gone back yet. Not a huge deal for me, but if i was playing right now, id be a little miffd.

I took a big break as well, and I was ready to go back to finish it up, but after seeing this yesterday I gave me pause so hopefully 1 .07 addresses the issue.

Iorv3th

Maybe they will be announcing the PC version soon and comparing the patched version to the PC version.

But why would they do that, it runs flawlessly on the X..and HDR looks phenomenal, especially in the dusty towns, amazing.

I thought people where saying the HDR was broken in this game?

Maybe they will be announcing the PC version soon and comparing the patched version to the PC version.

I thought people where saying the HDR was broken in this game?

I dunno what's the deal here, maybe on our high end sets it's a different story, it simply looks stunning.

Somehow I feel like RDR2 wont have a long lifespan like GTA5 does. Is the MP still in beta? I just dont think they managed to grab people for it or just that GTA5 is so much more popular so they have their own competition. Stuff like this doesnt help them at all.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Why are they rolling out a patch so soon again anyway, without fixing the obvious?

Well, this issue has not been since 1.06, it was actually started in 1.03, so that is four patches in a row without fixing it.

Last edited:

makaveli60

I have deleted and reinstalled the game twice because I left the PS4 connected to the internet and it updated the game automatically. I want to play the original version because I was sure that after the complaints (animations, framerate, etc.) there will be downgrades down the line and I want to play the original vision of the developers. I did the same with Assassin's Creed Origins, and anytime I will see a graphically amazing game I will do the same as well. I hate they force you to update everything nowadays even if it just makes the game or app worse.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I have deleted and reinstalled the game twice because I left the PS4 connected to the internet and it updated the game automatically. I want to play the original version because I was sure that after the complaints (animations, framerate, etc.) there will be downgrades down the line and I want to play the original vision of the developers. I did the same with Assassin's Creed Origins, and anytime I will see a graphically amazing game I will do the same as well. I hate they force you to update everything nowadays even if it just makes the game or app worse.

Turn off automatic updates and pause when they want to download when you go to play the game.

makaveli60

Turn off automatic updates and pause when they want to download when you go to play the game.
Usually that's what I do, but if you pause it, then you start playing another game and leave the PS4 in rest mode, then it downloads the paused updates too. I made this mistake twice so nowadays I try to make sure to just disconnect it from the internet.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Usually that's what I do, but if you pause it, then you start playing another game and leave the PS4 in rest mode, then it downloads the paused updates too. I made this mistake twice so nowadays I try to make sure to just disconnect it from the internet.

Thanks for the heads up on that.

Iorv3th

I dunno what's the deal here, maybe on our high end sets it's a different story, it simply looks stunning.

Having a high end set doesn't matter. The game does not have true HDR

They have said they were going to look into fixing the HDR but I don't think a patch that fixes it has been released yet.

Last edited:

Uhtred

They have said they were going to look into fixing the HDR but I don't think a patch that fixes it has been released yet.

This all seems so unlike Rockstar.

Fake

Not only a 'fake HDR', but if you watched Digital Foundry hdr video they warning about possible burning screen issueis. Very dangerous turn on HDR in this game depends of your TV.

Top Bottom