• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Online Community Impressions - Is it any good?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Greetings Gaffers,

I'm starting this post because I'm a bit torn. I was really into GTA V Online and was hoping I would somehow get a similar experience in Red Dead Online. However, I played the Beta and literally couldn't manage to get past the tutorial before falling asleep at my controller. I wasn't even tired.

For those with a bit more mental fortitude than I, can you describe your experience with Red Dead Online? Am I just not giving it the chance it deserves?

Some of my gripes with the game so far:
1. Character Creation is...ok its atrocious. Some of the presets look like they want you to start with the ugliest character possible and figure out how to make him/her look halfway normal.
2. Traveling still takes too frickin long. I get it, it's the 1890's or somethin' and horses can't poop and run at the same, but does everything have to be so far apart?
3. I feel like while the world's environment lends itself to a single player experience, multiplayer somehow seems....out of place. Is this just a "me" problem?

I've also heard getting money is a grind worse than GTA V, which was already pretty bad, but the journey was fun so it wasn't as unbearable. Does RDR online have what it takes to make the journey interesting enough to keep you around?

Share your experiences, please. I feel like I'm not the only one seeing things this way.

Freeman76

Its alright but needs more to do, a passive mode, and seperate lobbies for aim preferences before its anywhere near a patch on the SP

It's definitely a work in progress. I hate being the Silent Protagonist.

Payouts and cost of items are just robbery but also fixed now? So my opinion could change next time I am on.

Overall I rather spend my time right now in Single Player over Online.

cr0w

Old Member
My only aspirations in online are to fish, hunt, and hang out in the world so I'm enjoying myself. There are a lot of stranger missions and I'd assume more content is coming down the pike, but as of right now I'm fine with just being in the world.

It's definitely a work in progress. I hate being the Silent Protagonist.

It's even worse when the silent protagonist has grunts that you can't customize. Someone speculated that the voice is tied to whistle so your waifu that you spent hours restarting to perfect could end up with the voice you didn't expect. My manly man screaming with a preteen shriek is kinda hilarious though but still I'd have preferred a comply silent character to this.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I had a question. So in the tutorial you end up match making with 3 other random players to do a small mission stealing horses. You end up keeping the horses, which is cool I guess. My question is...in free roam, are you seeing real people out there like GTA Online? GTA was known for the insane amount of griefing that happened out in the free roam. After finishing the tutorial though, I checked the map and didn't see any blips. I'm wondering if maybe I didn't go far enough into the game to see them or maybe i was just in an empty lobby.

I had a question. So in the tutorial you end up match making with 3 other random players to do a small mission stealing horses. You end up keeping the horses, which is cool I guess. My question is...in free roam, are you seeing real people out there like GTA Online? GTA was known for the insane amount of griefing that happened out in the free roam. After finishing the tutorial though, I checked the map and didn't see any blips. I'm wondering if maybe I didn't go far enough into the game to see them or maybe i was just in an empty lobby.
There's no instancing between people further along and those that are just starting. You can end up in empty maps though.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
There's no instancing between people further along and those that are just starting. You can end up in empty maps though.

So that is to say that maybe I was just in an empty lobby more than likely. I mean they would instance me with people who just finished the tutorial as well, right? I can't imagine in a beta that I was the only one who just finished the tutorial. I mean I literally just finished a mission in the tutorial with 3 other guys. Seems....broken a bit.

In my experience it seemed like the issue was that you were on a solo server for the intro and then left on that server once you're done. It wasn't until I had logged in for the first time after completing the tutorial that I saw others on my map.

It’s good. The economy needs some balancing and they need to flesh out some things. I think a lot can be done regarding player killing and risk/reward of it while adding a bounty hunter system

Jigsaah

Gold Member
In my experience it seemed like the issue was that you were on a solo server for the intro and then left on that server once you're done. It wasn't until I had logged in for the first time after completing the tutorial that I saw others on my map.

Ahh I see, I'll have to give it another go then. Since you have had this experience, what are your thoughts on the mode? Were you into GTA V as well? If so, how does this compare for you?

Ahh I see, I'll have to give it another go then. Since you have had this experience, what are your thoughts on the mode? Were you into GTA V as well? If so, how does this compare for you?

I am not the best person to ask because I really struggle with GTA style online games. Can't stand the constant griefing and don't have the time or patience to git gud so I can defend myself. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I haven't played too much but my biggest problems were the economy. getting like $2 for a mission reward and then needing to spend $5 to fast travel somewhere bothered me a bit. It sounds like they are addressing the economy though so hopefully it is improved.

I am also hoping that after the initial excitement wears off, so will the griefing. I didn't really get too much grief but I am an old school SP guy and any amount of griefing is more than I want typically.

PocoJoe

Banned
Only fun thing i found is to run around and stab people

No point to do missions/hunting etc because rewards are so damn low that even fun missions feel like waste of time

Killing people x500 = no reward but nothing to lose either + kind of fun.

And i dont usually "grief", but roleplaying crazy murdering redneck felt like only thing that makes the emptiness of online feel like something

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Only fun thing i found is to run around and stab people

No point to do missions/hunting etc because rewards are so damn low that even fun missions feel like waste of time

Killing people x500 = no reward but nothing to lose either + kind of fun.

And i dont usually "grief", but roleplaying crazy murdering redneck felt like only thing that makes the emptiness of online feel like something

So if I'm following you correctly here, because there's little rewards for missions it's not really worth it to shackle yourself to that instance when you can get out there and fight some real people with no risk or reward. A better economy would give people reasonable goals to chase I'm guessing. I did see in another post that they are giving $250 and 15 gold bars for people who played the beta. I hope they don't think this fixes the economy. We don't need a stimulus package...the economy just started, how are we already in a recession?

BONDO

Will take time to reach current gtaonline levels of awesome.
The foundation is there to surpass gta

20cent

Banned
I played maybe half an hour (never touched GTA online) after completing the main game.

It felt like a 2008 open world game with silent character and no pause menu. And no other players around. The story sounds bad, they should just skip it.

I was just expecting everything similar to single player mode - no story, free-roaming, popping events like in main game (robbery too) , and hundreds of players around. I guess I was wrong. Or maybe I haven't played enough.

I'd like to try again when I find time though.

It's fun with friends, but it's a paranoia simulator while solo. I almost forgot how... simple the average console player is. "Oh there's another player, that must mean this game is deathmatch". THERE'S A DEATHMATCH PLAYLIST FOR FUCK'S SAKE
I'd take the PC hackers over DM-obsessed idiots on console any day.

Last edited:
It's fun with friends, but it's a paranoia simulator while solo. I almost forgot how... simple the average console player is. "Oh there's another player, that must mean this game is deathmatch". THERE'S A DEATHMATCH PLAYLIST FOR FUCK'S SAKE
I'd take the PC hackers over DM-obsessed idiots on console any day.

I’ve noticed this as well. I think player interactions, especially player killing, could use some fleshing out.

Top Bottom