• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption 2 (Fall 2017, PS4/XB1, Trailer 10/20 @ 11 AM EST) announced

What will ultimately anger people the most about this game?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Vlaphor

Hell, if they want to put Ogg in there just have it be Trevor after all. Turns out he's actually immortal, it would explain a lot.

I'm only half joking.

How about a silly side dlc where Trevor gets so high that he somehow goes back in time (thinking about the times in GTA V where you'd switch to him and he'd be in a weird place and out of it) and does some stuff with John Marston before finding drugs that send him back to the present day.

cr0w

Old Member
How about a silly side dlc where Trevor gets so high that he somehow goes back in time (thinking about the times in GTA V where you'd switch to him and he'd be in a weird place and out of it) and does some stuff with John Marston before finding drugs that send him back to the present day.

Day one.

-MD-

Zero cares until they announce a PC version.

You'd have to pay me to play another open world Rockstar game on consoles.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Jeez the port begging is strong in here...

The game will come to PC a few months later.

Alienous

All these disgusting posts about how absurd it would be to have a female in this game is like the 2016 equivalent of everyone being a gross racist when the San Andreas protagonist was revealed. That GAF thread is amazing to look back on.

I just want you people to know that we'll be laughing at your opinions years from now.

A female outlaw would be a rare thing, and addressing that might not be part of whatever story Rockstar Games wants to tell, whilst ignoring it might just seem ridiculous with the context.

I do think the represenation argument has gotten a little overzealous. I mean, what would be the core motive behind injecting a female protagonist into the game anyway - 'women can be outlaws too'?

War Eagle

What if it's a prequel and you play as
Bill Williamson with Jon being the antagonist this time around for a different perspective.

Damn no PC version? thats brutal man xD

latest

Backlogger

It's not PC, and it's not coming to PC? Should make for a good thread.

Have they said it's not coming to PC? I think it will. They've sold millions of copies of GTA V on PC

And hopefully not a prequel. Otherwise they should have named it something else

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
What a stupid name. It's Red Dead Revolver 3. Or Red Dead ______, if you will. But not Red Dead Redemption 2.

This is just like when LucasArts named Dark Forces 3 "Jedi Knight 2." So stupid.

I'd play the shit out of a Redemption 2 Story that has Bonnie Macfarlane finding out about John's murder and then finding out about his Son being in trouble so she saddles up and goes on the rescue.

Bonnie was an excellent character from RDR and I would very much like to see her again.

Daft_Cat

i like my realistic video games to be realistic as possible, including story.

Eh - Unlikely scenarios tend to make for intriguing stories.... and even still, fronteirswomen were a thing. You ever hear tell of Calamity Jane? It's by no means a deal-breaker for me (and if they are going for a Magnificent Seven vibe, color me intrigued), but all things being equal, I'd prefer a non-white and/or non-male protagonist for this kind of setting. And that has less to do with my own personal politics, than a desire for interesting, dramatically-sound storytelling. What kind of a hero presents a unique perspective on the frontier? What sort of person - or group - would shift dynamics, up the stakes, and present a new kind of twist on the usual western formula? Django was a good example of a historically-appropriate underdog that accomplished all of these things in spades and then some -- I'd posit that a fronteirswoman would fit the bill as well.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Maybe its more like the Wild Bunch than Magnificent 7. After all, something had to happen to break up the gang and lead to Marston's capture by the marshalls

I'd play the shit out of a Redemption 2 Story that has Bonnie Macfarlane finding out about John's murder and then finding out about his Son being in trouble so she saddles up and goes on the rescue.

Bonnie was an excellent character from RDR and I would very much like to see her again.

I'm in

Please continue, governor.

*shaking head vigoriously* nah I'm cool mate I'm just gonna go over here *saunters off stage*

Audioboxer

There was segregation and racism, but African American outlaws/lawmen still existed.
Take for example Deputy US Marshal Bass Reeves (who inspired the character The Lone Ranger)
220px-Bass_Reeves.jpg

There really isn't any excuse to not include playable blacks, indians or women...

But R* didn't propose RDR2 as a game of equal opportunities. Gamers are doing that. Which is fine if that's what you wanted to see in it, but to scold R* as saying "there is no excuse" for not seeing something you wanted is a bit strange. It's their game so there is every excuse for them to do as they please. Best thing to do is vote with your wallet if RDR2 isn't shaping up to be what you wanted from it, and sure give them feedback but with R* it's going to fall on deaf ears. They have already heard it all before.

I've already elaborated previously in here with 3 posts as to why I personally think R* won't break their mold. Without a doubt I think the largest portion of their sales figures go to young males, and unfortunately many young males act childish over playing as a female character. At a corporate level when you spend hundreds of millions funding a game you're going to pander to your largest potential sales base. All forms of media and entertainment are guilty of doing this.

As a company I'd only hope they diversify their lineup by releasing other games that don't always need the R* stamped budget of x00 millions. Sadly though they seem quite obsessed with everything being on the scale of GTA. Sure it can make for insane masterpieces of games, that are without a doubt some of the best in the industry. It does also lead to every game being heavily male influenced, and only in recent times can we be thankful they at least started to include black/ethnic leads.

cr0w

Old Member
They should get people from Deadwood to star in RDR2
deadwood-season-3-episode-09-olyphant-mcshane-parker-dourif-brown-hawkes-malcomson-sanderson-weigert-boothe-dvdbash10.jpg

A friend of mine actually met him on a pub crawl in New Orleans, but didn't know where he recognized him from. Olyphant took great, great pleasure in stringing him along all night while my friend agonized over it, even shushing people who tried to tell him who he was. He finally figured it out at the very end of the night.

I still believe that Marston will be the central protagonist of this game but I can totally picture a story from the perspective of Dutch as well. After all, he is front and center in the image

But Marston looking away in the picture tells me that they are separating him from the rest of the characters, thus, setting him aside to be the central character of the game.

I would be happy either way, but that's just what I'm predicting

Tovarisc

Jeez the port begging is strong in here...

The game will come to PC a few months later.

Begging? I haven't seen any begging, more like eye rolling, laughing, facepalming and just amazement.

Also I don't expect PC port to land sooner than 1-2 years after original release. Few months would be way, way too fast when considering they want people to 2-3x dip.

Top Bottom