• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption 2 Has Already Shipped 17 Million Units

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Red Dead Redemption 2 has also been a massive commercial success and has set numerous records. The title’s list of initial benchmarks includes:
  • Biggest opening weekend in retail sell-through across all entertainment releases (over $725 million);
  • Second biggest launch (three days) in retail sell-through across all entertainment releases (next to Grand Theft Auto V);
  • Biggest entertainment launch of 2018;
  • Most pre-ordered full game ever on PlayStation Network;
  • Biggest day one full game sales ever on PlayStation Network;
  • Biggest first three days full game sales ever on PlayStation Network.
Red Dead Redemption 2 sold-in more units in its first 8 days than the original blockbuster Red Dead Redemption sold in its first 8 years and, as of today, the title has sold-in over 17 million units worldwide.

Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. Reports Strong Results for Fiscal Second Quarter 2019

PsyEd

This game has cost me two weekends and seems one more. Just love roaming around there. I know more places in the game than I know in real life for my area lol. GG R*

It's no Barbie's Horse Adventure!

Now THAT'S a quality videogame, not this feminist murder simulator posing as one.

And yet everyone seems to hate it lol. Nah the lovers will vastly outweigh the haters.

I have had fun watching the usual suspects get all hyped about it and purchase it day one only to turn on it because they don't like the controls (Same Rockstar controls as always mind you) and begin the overrated chants in every thread. They're just the usual vocal minority though.

Alebrije

Hope Bethesda learns from this, this is how you releases a new game from a known IP and not the "lazy" Fallout 4.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Obviously Rockstar is irrelevant and has no place in the gaming industry anymore. They should pack it up and move on. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

EDMIX

Shipped is not sales, why do we still refer to this? What is this the 90's?

Shipped still means sold. As someone that used to work in retail in receiving let me explain.

Walmart, Amazon, Gamestop etc BUY games from Publishers.

If the game sells well....they keep buying said game from Publisher.

Thus, shipped means sold to the publisher as their goal is more so to sell to the store, that sells it to YOU. Of course it must be a good game for fans to keep buying so that way stores keep buying.

So Rockstar already has their money by the time its in a box inside of Walmarts shipping area.

Walmart, Amazon, Gamestop don't just buy games for no reason, they buy based on demand, volume of pre-order etc. If you were a store, would you buy millions of copies of games that were not selling and had no demand? So....consider shipped means sold as the publisher is already paid for those copies. Retail isn't buying products that are not selling. They simply stop buying shipments, thus the game can ONLY sell if a retail store even sees its selling out.

Joe T.

I was expecting great sales, but I had doubts it would draw GTA-like interest like many seemed to be predicting over the last year. Good to see it doing so well.

EDMIX

Hope Bethesda learns from this, this is how you releases a new game from a known IP and not the "lazy" Fallout 4.

huh? Buddy....I own BOTH Fallout 4 and Red Dead 2 day 1 and both have their fair share of bugs. I wouldn't call either game "lazy" by any exaggeration. Fallout 4 moved like 12 million units a week or so, someone wanted that game and it kept selling cause most clearly didn't see it as "lazy".

That includes DLC and mobile. But they don't show it in the report.

WaterfallChart4E.png

RDR2 is the final game on the report because it's the final quarter game, they only had 6 million copies shipped out when it launched. How did they ship manufacture and ship another 11 million units this fast? that's not possible.

EDMIX

I was expecting great sales, but I had doubts it would draw GTA-like interest like many seemed to be predicting over the last year. Good to see it doing so well.

True, but I don't see this IP doing those type of GTA numbers. Just different settings and stuff

EDMIX

WaterfallChart4E.png

RDR2 is the final game on the report because it's the final quarter game, they only had 6 million copies shipped out when it launched. How did they ship manufacture and ship another 11 million units this fast? that's not possible.

huh? It very much is lol. Trust me. Printing out paper and burning a disk isn't rocket science. They likely had a LOT prepared for if it in cause it moved lots of units.

WaterfallChart4E.png

WHAT????????

huh? It very much is lol. Trust me. Printing out paper and burning a disk isn't rocket science. They likely had a LOT prepared for if it in cause it moved lots of units.

This was when it launched they didn't make anymore shipments yet. This would be 12 million new printed disc shipments out of nowhere.

WHAT????????

The charts are the quarter charts for the software of 2018 and RDR2 is the final software shipment produced. makes sense.

EDMIX

This was when it launched they didn't make anymore shipments yet. This would be 12 million new printed disc shipments out of nowhere.

The charts are the quarter charts for the software of 2018 and RDR2 is the final software shipment produced. makes sense.

Huh? ummmm ok.

."They didn't make anymore shipments yet" DOESN'T"T MEAN THEY DIDN'T MAKE THE DISK! It simply means they didn't ship them out yet as the retail store must BUY it first.

Huh? ummmm ok.

."They didn't make anymore shipments yet" DOESN'T"T MEAN THEY DIDN'T MAKE THE DISK! It simply means they didn't ship them out yet as the retail store must BUY it first.

The title of this thread is 17 million shipped. impossible, where di the 12 million more come from if this is the production report of 6 million which was prepared in advance?

WaterfallChart4E.png

But in all seriousness it's selling well. GTAV boosted Rockstars profile so it may pass San Andreas in a year, year and a half. Especially with bundles.

EDMIX

The title of this thread is 17 million shipped. impossible, where di the 12 million more come from if this is the production report of 6 million which was prepared in advance?

WaterfallChart4E.png

Umm ok, that isn't impossible lol It came from them producing it and waiting to see how the other batch sold.

By that logic, its not possible for Call Of Duty to move 20 million units every year. They have money, they can simply just have many factories burn and print disk non-stop. You are questioning pretty much how all of gaming can make lots of units of something. I mean....this wouldn't be the first time, in fact COD and Madden and Fifa do this like EVERY YEAR. You are not questioning something that can't happen, simply something you think can't happen even with all the yearly evidence that shows it very much can.

Umm ok, that isn't impossible lol It came from them producing it and waiting to see how the other batch sold.

By that logic, its not possible for Call Of Duty to move 20 million units every year. They have money, they can simply just have many factories burn and print disk non-stop. You are questioning pretty much how all of gaming can make lots of units of something. I mean....this wouldn't be the first time, in fact COD and Madden and Fifa do this like EVERY YEAR. You are not questioning something that can't happen, simply something you think can't happen even with all the yearly evidence that shows it very much can.

They only produced 6 million according to the chart. So it is impossible. They would need months at least two with fast shipping to put out 12 million more.

Edit: Oh wait these are shipments for GTA V PS4/XBO 2018.

Final is for the last quarter and RDR2 launched right outside of it. So there were 6 million copies of GTAV shipped. My bad.

Last edited:
Top Bottom