• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption 2 Online should enter beta till the end of November

GermanZepp

Well i played the first 3 weeks of GTAV online, and the first week was broken, the second was awesome and the third was full of players with money exploits. We can extrapolate that for sure.

Last edited:

lefty1117

Gold Member
Does the cheating and exploits in GTA Online happen on the console version? I thought that was a PC thing.

xviper

since GTA online was a money printing machine, it's obvious that RDR 2 online is gonna be the same, that's not my biggest problem with it

my biggest problem with it is that they completely fucked up the amazing gunplay of RDR1, so my hype for RDR 2 online is VERY LOW

GermanZepp

Does the cheating and exploits in GTA Online happen on the console version? I thought that was a PC thing.

Oh yes, as soon the players figure out the way to sell cars and keep the money and the cars it was all lost. Everyone has rocket launchers, helicopters and supercars .

Psykodad

Banned
That sucks.
I'll probably be focused on BFV by then.

Then again, 2 multiplayer games is better than one.

One thing I hated about the game was your horse dying. Such a pain in the ass. This better not happen online when some idiot with a Deluxo blows you to hell when your spending a lovely day out fishing!

Akuza89

It's a rockstar online game, it's going to have issues and hackers within weeks of it launching.

I'll give it a go, but I doubt it'll be much fun when people start hacking it.

I want to have a camp just like in the Single Player but with other Gaf players.

So I can do the chores around camp and be angry that others aren’t pulling their weight.

Catphish

Maybe this time around it won't take 10 minutes to find a new server after getting kicked from the old one for no reason.

The fact that ps4 is hacked has me a little worried as I had all my shit stolen in a modded lobby I joined in error through a friend

Also....hope we dont have 5 min loading screens

Mista

Banned
They said it’s going to build up on RDR1’s online which was great. I’m sure they’ll keep supporting it like GTAV’s online

DryvBy

GTAO is amazing, op. There's tons of gameplay modes, tons of content, co-op missions (over 80), mini-raids (heists), and even a car boosting mode that's thrilling. I hope it's GTAO and more.

lefty1117

Gold Member
GTA Online is actually really good, and has had tons of consistent content over the years. It's the hacking and exploits that are the issue. If they can nail that down then RDRO will be great. Strangely I am looking forward to the opportunity to buy a ranch and do some chores. Weird!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
GTAO is amazing, op. There's tons of gameplay modes, tons of content, co-op missions (over 80), mini-raids (heists), and even a car boosting mode that's thrilling. I hope it's GTAO and more.

I have always found GTAO amazing, pretty much like an MMO (but in a lot of respects, better). The only issue, I could not get into the virtual "sim-life" setting because it was too modern.

I too hope RDRO is everything like it, and more. I can immerse myself in that setting, since it was a time in our lives we were never able to experience.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I’ll hope the online will be way better in RDR 2 compared to GTAO, which has everything but shooting matches, and where you and your homies doesn’t get into the same match.

I want to have a camp just like in the Single Player but with other Gaf players.

So I can do the chores around camp and be angry that others aren’t pulling their weight.
I'll sit around the fire drinking and singing The Ring Dang Doo while you do chores.

Last edited:
Anyone else get on to play yet?

I popped in last night for a couple of hours, playing through the main story/ intro to the multiplayer online. Then did a couple of the co-op missions with random people playing online. I did abit of everything, from delivering a wagon to a cabin with supplies and being shot at by npc's and other people online trying to steal the contents of the wagon to doing bounties with a team of 3 other actual players, carrying out a story driven mission where usually some kind of vote happens at the end to release or kill the antagonist of the mission.

So far I'm pleasantly surprised as the first Red Dead's online was a real shit show and I had no interest in playing it even though I cherished the first game. I have yet to try out the battle royale mode or anything too competitive yet but I feel optimistic enough to say I like what I've played enough so far, that I might want to go for the online trophies and that says alot in a positive way.

I feel like there is going to be ALOT of grinding here to earn money which at my peak I had about $44 but even harder to come across (so far) is gold, it takes alot of gold which seems infrequently earned to collect enough for a gold bar for which to buy specific clothes, hairstyles, weapons as I did spend some time looking at customizations, upgrades and new equipment (insert your mirco transaction displeasure here)

For a beta its this is impressive, I did find the collision detection on the horses to be abit off at some points last night as you'd get stuck in areas where you shouldn't, it happened in between tress that felt like that had invisible barriers around you once you got between a cluster of trees, so I had to just jump off my horse and call it away from the area.

I think it was smart of Rockstar to make the battle royal modes and other competitive modes accessible from the main portion of the multiplayer mode, but keep it separate as well. I'll likely try some of the competitive stuff out later tonight or tomorrow.

Visually it looks on par with the single player, especially those landscapes, sunsets and evening skies filled with stars. The character creation seems abit limited and the choices themselves a bit bland looking compared to the characters you'll find in the single player but theres so much customization offered with hairstyles, beards and clothes its not unforgivable.

My verdict is try it out, you might also be pleasantly surprised.

lefty1117

Gold Member
I liked what I saw as well but I think more and more I'd like freeroam to be opt-in for friendly fire. Competitive modes are what they are, but there are story elements and too many other significant griefing opportunities that I think will drive people away. Could be as simple as allowing "friends only" sessions, or perhaps the white flag raised at camp can mean no friendly fire where ever you are on the map, instead of just at camp.

Snoopycat

Banned
Played about an hour so. The economy is proper shit. Most people suspected it was going to be a micro transaction hell and they were right. Gold bars and level grinding for gear. Fuck off.

YayNJ

Banned
So I checked this out at about 4pm this afternoon. As of writing, it's 2am. I've played probably 1hr45mins of continuous gameplay, and literally just left it idle as I've done work and other bits of family life. Not for one second was a drawn back to it, or felt like I was missing out on something exciting I just had to do so I didn't fall behind online. I just don't feel a grab from it.

The economy looks to be total and utter garbage. You get like... 9 cents from looting?

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
So I checked this out at about 4pm this afternoon. As of writing, it's 2am. I've played probably 1hr45mins of continuous gameplay, and literally just left it idle as I've done work and other bits of family life. Not for one second was a drawn back to it, or felt like I was missing out on something exciting I just had to do so I didn't fall behind online. I just don't feel a grab from it.

The economy looks to be total and utter garbage. You get like... 9 cents from looting?
Yea, I've noticed the utter grinding. I never played GTA: Online but from what I've read that's exactly the same model from what I've experienced in Red Dead Online. I still think it could be fun, but they're definitely targeting the whales.

Hell, it worked for them unbelievably well the last game. They even made their purchases for GTA: Online depicting different types of large fish to explicitly indicate what you're doing.

Hell, it worked for them unbelievably well the last game. They even made their purchases for GTA: Online depicting different types of large fish to explicitly indicate what you're doing.

Maybe they'll be gator cards.

Start with the Gar card, then Caiman card, then Gator card, then Ultra Croc card?

YayNJ

Banned
Yea, I've noticed the utter grinding. I never played GTA: Online but from what I've read that's exactly the same model from what I've experienced in Red Dead Online. I still think it could be fun, but they're definitely targeting the whales.

I played GTA online for about a year after launch. I think this being so similar is just too much for me. I just don't have the time for a grind, nor the disposable income to throw at a video game now I've a young family. It's a shame, because I'd love to get lost in it's world online with friends, but there's no fun really to be had constantly being broke in games like this.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Last edited:

YayNJ

Banned
So from what I saw in this video, it seems near impossible to create an attractive female character. I didn't think R* would follow this shitty trend.

It's impossible. Though to be honest, male or female, everything ends up looking like something from the hills have eyes.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...e-freedom-back-into-rockstars-exquisite-world

Grind, lootboxes, and griefing get a ten word final sentence in an otherwise glowing review of the online mode that regular customers don't seem to be taking to as kindly. Remind anyone of anything?

In fact, I've noticed a rather silent response and lack of commentary from the games media and high profile youtubers on many of RDR2's widespread faults that other games seem to get roasted on with a non-stop flurry of articles and uploads. RDR2 only seems to recieve positive articles and passing mentions of glaring issues... Hmm strange.

Just like the single player reviews and previews they are trying to set a narrative here that they hope takes hold. Difference is, instead of 6 months of mystery and hype buildup, players are getting simultaneous first hand experience from the online and the consensus seems to be overwhelming the attempt at another false narrative from the games media. Ain't going to fool anyone with promises of the greatest, most revolutionary online mode here..

This game mode is boring. The PvP modes are better left unspoken. Ever wonder if an auto lock-on aim online deathmatch with poor traversal and cover mechanics would make for a good multiplayer experience? Wonder no more.
Otherwise, the world itself and core gameplay loop don't hold up when you remove the random encounters and NPC interaction, gate off some of the few core activities with ridiculous arbitrary level locks (oh you need to be a level 10 online player to use a fishing rod), and otherwise shackle what's left in one of the most blatantly greedy microtransaction grinds the industry has seen since... Well GTAO. Hope the FTC comes down hard on these shits.

GTAO won't be losing much player base to this game that's for sure.

In summary: 10/10 most revolutionary online game ever released. Most online game of all time! All other online games are shit compared to this!

wvnative

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...e-freedom-back-into-rockstars-exquisite-world

Grind, lootboxes, and griefing get a ten word final sentence in an otherwise glowing review of the online mode that regular customers don't seem to be taking to as kindly. Remind anyone of anything?

In fact, I've noticed a rather silent response and lack of commentary from the games media and high profile youtubers on many of RDR2's widespread faults that other games seem to get roasted on with a non-stop flurry of articles and uploads. RDR2 only seems to recieve positive articles and passing mentions of glaring issues... Hmm strange.

Just like the single player reviews and previews they are trying to set a narrative here that they hope takes hold. Difference is, instead of 6 months of mystery and hype buildup, players are getting simultaneous first hand experience from the online and the consensus seems to be overwhelming the attempt at another false narrative from the games media. Ain't going to fool anyone with promises of the greatest, most revolutionary online mode here..

This game mode is boring. The PvP modes are better left unspoken. Ever wonder if an auto lock-on aim online deathmatch with poor traversal and cover mechanics would make for a good multiplayer experience? Wonder no more.
Otherwise, the world itself and core gameplay loop don't hold up when you remove the random encounters and NPC interaction, gate off some of the few core activities with ridiculous arbitrary level locks (oh you need to be a level 10 online player to use a fishing rod), and otherwise shackle what's left in one of the most blatantly greedy microtransaction grinds the industry has seen since... Well GTAO. Hope the FTC comes down hard on these shits.

GTAO won't be losing much player base to this game that's for sure.

In summary: 10/10 most revolutionary online game ever released. Most online game of all time! All other online games are shit compared to this!

I always found it weird how GTA's business model never got called out despite being on the upper end of microtransaction hell, I thought at least if red dead online was the same or worse the media would call it out.

Oh well

I actually like both online games cause underneth all that are insanely fun games, just ruined by the worst business model I've ever seen.

Zewp

Well, I just got slaughtered repeatedly in Valentine by laughing squeakers.

And thus ends my forays into RDRO.

Tried to sell a deer at the butcher in Blackwater and was killed 10 times in a row. How much fun! Horse races also a genius idea, let's make the horses have no energy, like mario kart with no gas. I could play for ages, and would need to because everything takes so long. Needs some major fixes.

Top Bottom