• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption 2 PC graphics settings revealed from companion app, confirm DirectX 12

mikemandey

I'm only halfway done playing RDR2 on my PS4.. Looks like I'll just wait to finish it on my PC lol

Reason: bad framerate and having difficulties aiming with controller kinda turn me off

Last edited:
Have it for PS4 still havent played it. Prospect of better framerate is a nice proposition. But the Wild West doesnt appeal to me that much, which is why the game has been shoved further back in my backlog.

Holammer

Hope so. Windows 7 still have a good install base. Locking just into one particular OS is stupid.

According to Steam's Hardware and Software survey Windows 7 & 8 make up about 25% of the user base. That's definitely too many to pass on and even MS upcoming Halo MCC will run on Win7.

Ramzy

Hope so. Windows 7 still have a good install base. Locking just into one particular OS is stupid.

Steam hw survey shows Windows 7 has ~22% market share, and that the number is rapidly declining, dropping 2% in the last month.

Last edited:

Goff2k

If EGS exclusive means I can buy it directly from Rockstar then that's fine. EGS exclusive seems to translate to "just not on Steam" half the time.
Yep just as long it's available other than EGS I'll just buy it somewhere else.

jadefire66

Speed I maybe understand, but why would you skip the story in a story-focused game? Are you really that bothered about getting to the generic shooting faster? The shoot-outs only work because they're bursts of adrenaline littered throughout an incredibly slow paced game.

Unless you mean the "ride here for 5 minutes" conversations, but those aren't cut scenes.

Am I supposed to watch ALL the cutscenes in every game? Sometimes I get bored after 30-60 seconds and want to skip uninteresting ones, especially if it looks like some trivial side quest filler.

Journey

Banned
Port beggers at it again
triumph.jpeg

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Am I supposed to watch ALL the cutscenes in every game? Sometimes I get bored after 30-60 seconds and want to skip uninteresting ones, especially if it looks like some trivial side quest filler.

No, but considering the story is the good part of this game, it just seems illogical. I love RDR2, was my GOTY last year, but let's be real here, the gameplay is dogshit. Do you really want to skip the story so you can mash X some more on your horse?

Stuart360

No, but considering the story is the good part of this game, it just seems illogical. I love RDR2, was my GOTY last year, but let's be real here, the gameplay is dogshit. Do you really want to skip the story so you can mash X some more on your horse?
tenor.gif

klosos

I'm only halfway done playing RDR2 on my PS4.. Looks like I'll just wait to finish it on my PC lol

Reason: bad framerate and having difficulties aiming with controller kinda turn me off

Yep same for me , i know when i play this on PC , its going to be a more enjoyable experience just by using mouse & Keyboard , how anyone can enjoy playing 1st /3rd person shooters with a controller and Rockstars auto aim is beyond me

ruvikx

Banned
Yep same for me , i know when i play this on PC , its going to be a more enjoyable experience just by using mouse & Keyboard , how anyone can enjoy playing 1st /3rd person shooters with a controller and Rockstars auto aim is beyond me

I turned auto-aim off. It's better, but the aiming is the least of its problems, i.e. the clunky unpredictable cover system is absolute shit & with or without a keyboard & mouse (aka theoretically someone's preferred control scheme) gunfights are still going to be f*cking awful on PC. Slow cover, slow picking up items (to the point Arthur appears to be moving in slow motion) & a mediocre story filled with all the worst Hollywood clichés of the genre (& an absurd moralistic woke agenda forced into the narrative with horrible characters preaching to the player).

Biggest disappointment of the last couple of years as far as I'm concerned. It's just not fun.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

Yeah, the story, characters, environments, aesthetics, music, visuals, all that shit doesn't count.

No-one that gave RDR2 GOTY said it was GOTY because they mashed X on their horse for 20 hours or did some generic TPS gunfights, be real. It's because it married every other element together so perfectly. It's just kind of a shame that in aiming for something as grounded in reality as RDR2, R* make controlling the character feel like you're actually controlling another human being.

ruvikx

Banned
Yeah, the story, characters, environments, aesthetics, music, visuals, all that shit doesn't count.

Its "story" (literally a group of roaming gyspsy travellers thieving, murdering & moaning about the USA) would only be good to someone who's never seen an actual semi-decent western.

It's apparent in the video game industry that presentation (n terms of making good looking cutscenes & character animation within current gen tech & adequately delivered dialogue) is now confused with actual good storytelling. If RDR2 was a movie or a series, it'd be given a mediocre rating because it's just not that good.

But hey, it's Rockstar & it's a video game, so 10/10.

Last edited:

AV

Its "story" (literally a group of roaming gyspsy travellers thieving, murdering & moaning about the USA) would only be good to someone who's never seen an actual semi-decent western.

It's apparent in the video game industry that presentation (n terms of making good looking cutscenes & character animation within current gen tech & adequately delivered dialogue) is now confused with actual good storytelling. If RDR2 was a movie or a series, it'd be given a mediocre rating because it's just not that good.

But hey, it's Rockstar & it's a video game, so 10/10.

Then I must never have seen The Man with No Name trilogy, Once Upon a Time in the West, The Searchers or The Wild Bunch.

Come on, you're comparing two mediums like they're supposed to be equal. Video games aren't movies, the story isn't inherently constricted to what the viewer sees at fixed points across a few hours. It's entirely up to the player to decide at what pace and in what order to approach most of the story aspects. Someone running between story beats and quickly as possible just to get to the next "main" part isn't going to have the same experience as someone who paces themselves and builds their own story into the core one using the systems at hand. My Arthur Morgan didn't finish a train robbery and then ride immediately back to camp to rob a bank, he went fishing.

If RDR2 was a movie or a series, it'd be given a mediocre rating because it's just not that good.

And yet The Walking Dead, the most appallingly derivative, dull, headbangingly repetitive show on television has been getting good reviews for almost a decade. Hmm.

ruvikx

Banned
Then I must never have seen The Man with No Name trilogy, Once Upon a Time in the West, The Searchers or The Wild Bunch.

Come on, you're comparing two mediums like they're supposed to be equal. Video games aren't movies, the story isn't inherently constricted to what the viewer sees at fixed points across a few hours. It's entirely up to the player to decide at what pace and in what order to approach most of the story aspects. Someone running between story beats and quickly as possible just to get to the next "main" part isn't going to have the same experience as someone who paces themselves and builds their own story into the core one using the systems at hand. My Arthur Morgan didn't finish a train robbery and then ride immediately back to camp to rob a bank, he went fishing.

Fishing was just another pointless side activity which didn't require player skill. That's a fact. As for the rest of your assertion here (pretending I rushed or something), you're incorrect, i.e. I also took my time between main missions, with treasure hunting, legendary animal hunting & various side activities being the bulk of my time in the game. Whether someone rushes or takes their time, Arthur is still a hypocritical turd, as is Dutch, as is Hosea & the rest are just as unpleasant to varying degrees. It's standard Rockstar "we want to write an anti-heroes with redeeming qualities, but we fail & we produce shitbags who quickly become moralizing & annoying".

That's Arthur Morgan, his gang & RDR2's "story". Steretypical evil rich capitalist who they repeatedly rob? Check. Stereotypical hillbillies to gun down? Check. Streotypical betrayal within the gang? Check. Stereotypical critique of 19th century USA in which murdering, thieving sacks of shit moralize the player about the wrongs of that era? Check. The gameplay elements surrounding the gang don't even work, i.e. the player quickly becomes the richest contributor to the gang by a huge margin & yet everyone still acts like Arthur is worth nothing. The irony in this "game" being the fact Arthur would survive & prosper far better on his own without handing welfare payments to those ungrateful morons we're told Arthur needs to provide for in the name of their mutual survival. I donated thousands of dollars & upgraded the camp, whilst the rest gave peanuts by comparison & permanently acted like the gang was poor & desperate.

Hello cognitive dissonance.

And yet The Walking Dead, the most appallingly derivative, dull, headbangingly repetitive show on television has been getting good reviews for almost a decade. Hmm.

How about no? The Walking Dead might still have "critical" support from the mainstream so-called media, but the rest of us realized it was a complete unredeemable pile of shit back in season 3.

AV

Fishing was just another pointless side activity which didn't require player skill. That's a fact. As for the rest of your assertion here (pretending I rushed or something), you're incorrect, i.e. I also took my time between main missions, with treasure hunting, legendary animal hunting & various side activities being the bulk of my time in the game. Whether someone rushes or takes their time, Arthur is still a hypocritical turd, as is Dutch, as is Hosea & the rest are just as unpleasant to varying degrees. It's standard Rockstar "we want to write an anti-heroes with redeeming qualities, but we fail & we produce shitbags who quickly become moralizing & annoying".

Never implied fishing required skill. Really, nothing in RDR2 does except the shootouts. You thinking the characters are hypocritical and unpleasant doesn't make them poorly written characters, you're right, they're all varying degrees of liars, scoundrels and thieves. Of course they're going to be full of shit. You really gonna tell me most of the characters John Wayne played weren't some degree of unlikable?

That's Arthur Morgan, his gang & RDR2's "story". Steretypical evil rich capitalist who they repeatedly rob? Check. Stereotypical hillbillies to gun down? Check. Streotypical betrayal within the gang? Check. Stereotypical critique of 19th century USA in which murdering, thieving sacks of shit moralize the player about the wrongs of that era? Check. The gameplay elements surrounding the gang don't even work, i.e. the player quickly becomes the richest contributor to the gang by a huge margin & yet everyone still acts like Arthur is worth nothing. The irony in this "game" being the fact Arthur would survive & prosper far better on his own without handing welfare payments to those ungrateful morons we're told Arthur needs to provide for in the name of their mutual survival. I donated thousands of dollars & upgraded the camp, whilst the rest gave peanuts by comparison & permanently acted like the gang was poor & desperate.

You imply strongly that stereotype and cliche are somehow inherently bad things. What's wrong with doing something unremarkable well? Do you think they wouldn't have all the staples of a western... in a western? There's plenty of stuff that isn't borrowed from other sources, a lot of it just isn't in the main plot. Your observation of the gang's inability to properly recognise John's contributions is also a little unfair, of course there's going to be cognitive dissonance, no video game can get around that. As soon as you hand control off to a player they're going to do things their way. Just because you donated thousands and thousands of dollars doesn't mean everyone did. Maybe someone's John blew all their cash on guns and gambling and had nothing left for the gang. Could they have dynamically altered the gang's reactions to John based on this? Sure, but I'd argue that the game already dynamically responds to player interaction on a level that the vast majority of others simply don't. It's not an RPG.

How about no? The Walking Dead might still have "critical" support from the mainstream so-called media, but the rest of us realized it was a complete unredeemable pile of shit back in season 3.

You specifically said "a mediocre rating". If not by the media, then do you wanna go by user metrics? 8.3 on iMDB. 77% on RT, even though like you said, it's been shit for years. Not only that but it's still in the top 10 most watched TV shows. Making the assumption that a story like RDR2's given the TV treatment would receive a "mediocre rating" is a little delusional given how low the bar is set. RDR2 has a better story than most of the garbage on TV.

I just don't know what the beef Rockstar got with PC. I mean sure your console base is massive but adding one more version won't hurt and will rack you more profit

Rumor is that Rockstar didn't even bother making a PC version because the original RDR code was an absolute mess. Considering how awful the GTAIV port was, I believe it.

Kenpachii

I know I'm not the average gamer, but why should hype matter? Why should that drive your interests? I never understand the whole ride-the-wave-of-the-crowd mindset, but then again I always beat my own drum. (that's what she said? :p)

I've been interested in it from the beginning since I loved RDR1, and I'm just waiting on PC release. Can't wait.

Because most people already saw the story at this point through youtube or twitch that didn't play it on PC, or they went out and buyed the console version anyway.

The PC version will be nothing but a glorified die hard fan base that will buy it, and even then it probably will get a small group of people because they will high ball the price.

Also they better of start building some worthy online battle royal solution that they can exploit and maybe it will get some success.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Lol wait you are suggesting a massive rockstar release wouldn’t be a huge success? Seems like the wrongest prediction one could possibly make.

Last edited:
Because most people already saw the story at this point through youtube or twitch that didn't play it on PC, or they went out and buyed the console version anyway.

The PC version will be nothing but a glorified die hard fan base that will buy it, and even then it probably will get a small group of people because they will high ball the price.

Also they better of start building some worthy online battle royal solution that they can exploit and maybe it will get some success.

Maybe some people do that, but I always maintain blackout on games I know I will buy. So outside the first trailer, I know absolutely nothing about RDR2. (Well I have heard those who don't like it complain it is slow/monotonous, but for this type of game, that sounds right up my alley.)

I don't think it will have any problems selling though. Many who already played will double dip just for the upgrade imo.

Kadayi

Banned
Given the game is basically a prequel to a console only release I do wonder about the market penetration here assuming it's coming to PC. Maybe they are going to do a Remaster of RDR also?

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
After all this waiting, it’s a shame most of you will get bored after a few hours.
i bought it on PS4 and was bored out of my skull after about 10 hours so stopped playing.

i have been telling myself ever since i will think about getting it on PC but i know deep down if i do buy it i'll just be wasting more money because while it'll be nice to have it at higher resolution/framerate and better visuals.....it's not gonna change the core gameplay. not that i was expecting that but yknow....

the game is tedious and dull. i can't believe i spent over 8 years waiting for this and couldn't manage to play it any more than 10 hours.

Sentenza

Given the game is basically a prequel to a console only release I do wonder about the market penetration here assuming it's coming to PC.
No one will give a shit.
But yeah, a remaster of the first one isn't so unlikely, at some point in time.

Kadayi

Banned
No one will give a shit.
But yeah, a remaster of the first one isn't so unlikely, at some point in time.

I do. I've never played the original as I'm PC only, and frankly, it seems a lot of people aren't sold on RDR2 as far as the game goes whereas the praise is notable for the original.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
it being a prequel won't matter at all. plus the original game got the "it's boring" complainers as well, didn't really hurt it. still got great scores, just like RDR2. still sold tons of games.

this is Rockstar, they make the highest selling games of all time. RDR2 has sold 23 million already. GTAV 110 million. i don't really see gamers passing up the opportunity to play this with the best graphics settings possible, modding, etc. on PC. the availability or praise of the first game is pretty much irrelevant, since it isn't playable on PC.

Last edited:

Sentenza

I do. I've never played the original as I'm PC only, and frankly, it seems a lot of people aren't sold on RDR2 as far as the game goes whereas the praise is notable for the original.
*You* aren't statistically relevant. In general terms, people will dive to purchase their PC copy in droves regardless of the first being on PC or not.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
*You* aren't statistically relevant. In general terms, people will dive to purchase their PC copy in droves regardless of the first being on PC or not.

I dare say it will do great with double-dippers, but RDR2 didn't sell remotely anywhere near as many units as GTA V (22 million versus 100 million), and so crossover sales might not be quite as high as you envisage truth be told (GTA V on PC is around 10-12 million units, so RDR2 would probably garner about 2.5-3 million units if we consider the percentages) and without an established audience on PC for the franchise people might not be too eager to jump straight in versus wait and see what the reviews/benchmarks are. If anything there's a good case to be made for R* looking at porting the remastered RDR to PC finally as a pre-cursor to incentivise sales. Doing that would undoubtedly win them a lot of favours because it was long anticipated.

Top Bottom