• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption 2 PC [OT] - “Vengeance is an idiot's game”

Tried the DX12 settings and it has red sparks flying around everywhere (I assume the light particles that seem to glitch out). Returned to Vulkan and they're gone... hope it's not just my setup that produces such graphical glitches.

I did. Using the default settings (mix of medium/high 1080p and Vulkan) I get average fps of 60 in their benchmark. Gameplay seems to be buttery smooth too but don't quote me on it.

did you play the game on console? if so, how would you compare the fidelity between the console version you played and those settings you’re using

TimFL

did you play the game on console? if so, how would you compare the fidelity between the console version you played and those settings you’re using
I can't really compare with the limited amount of time I spent playing the game, but if I may throw this in: 60fps and KB&M controls really do this game well. It feels like a new experience riding around or firing a gun. That alone is worth the asking price to me, it feels very responsive.

I can't really compare with the limited amount of time I spent playing the game, but if I may throw this in: 60fps and KB&M controls really do this game well. It feels like a new experience riding around or firing a gun. That alone is worth the asking price to me, it feels very responsive.

thanks

I’m super on the fence right now. Went to bed almost certain I was gonna purchase this morning but now I’m wavering. I have a 1070 ti and 14400 monitor. I understand I can’t go Max/ultra 60 so I’m just trying to get a feel for how much better it will look at whatever settings I need to run it at to stay in the 40-60 FPS range

TimFL

thanks

I’m super on the fence right now. Went to bed almost certain I was gonna purchase this morning but now I’m wavering. I have a 1070 ti and 14400 monitor. I understand I can’t go Max/ultra 60 so I’m just trying to get a feel for how much better it will look at whatever settings I need to run it at to stay in the 40-60 FPS range
It's a pleaser nonetheless on my setup and I think it rocks 60fps or near that. Have to try tomorrow with an overlay to get some stats, but I certainly didn't feel like there were any performance issues. Only thing that annoyed me was the graphical glitch that had certain particles (the glowing orbs or debris by horse hooves) look like red firework sparkles, but that was resolved by switching back to Vulkan.

They also pushed out a patch a few hours ago that boosted performance for loads of users.

I’m remote logged in to my pc running benchmarks. 2070 super at 1440 with a mix of ultra, high and a few medium settings.

avg 80 FPS, Max of 145 and min of 14.

will have to play more with it later.

oh and this is without updating drivers. I still haven’t done that.

Last edited:

Evilms

Banned

U456h1p.png

Last edited:

Siri

Banned
Initial impressions at near max settings: pretty underwhelming actually. For me, Assassin’s Creed Odyssey is visually far more impressive. Kind of surprising, really.

lefty1117

Gold Member
I'm having an issue starting the game - says verifying game ownership failed and offline activiation data could not be loaded - has anyone else seen this?

Skyr

Performance with vulkan is at least 10fps better on my 1080ti. There is something wonky going on with pascal cards with dx12.

Rodss

Neo Member
It's a pleaser nonetheless on my setup and I think it rocks 60fps or near that. Have to try tomorrow with an overlay to get some stats, but I certainly didn't feel like there were any performance issues. Only thing that annoyed me was the graphical glitch that had certain particles (the glowing orbs or debris by horse hooves) look like red firework sparkles, but that was resolved by switching back to Vulkan.

They also pushed out a patch a few hours ago that boosted performance for loads of users.

You playing the game on a 980gt ti? what are your other specs, can you post a screen of the graphic settings? if so ill thank you forever.

Inviusx

I'm not a PC guy anymore but the thought of playing this at 1080p is sad. There is a lot of detail in this game that is wasted on such a low resolution.

If your PC sucks at least buy an X to get native 4k.

So i set geforce experience settings two notches below "ideal" and that's the sweet spot for me. It looks beautiful and runs at a steady 80 fps.

J3nga

Looks like we've got a new tool for a hardware testing, boyz. This one really put 'em gpus to their knees.

Last edited:

Inviusx

To each their own, but I'd rather play 1080p60 (or higher) than 4K30 any day of the week.
Sir, you're in a PC thread. 30 fps makes me want to turn off the game and go mow the lawn. Or build a bookcase. Or learn a foreign language.

I get the desire for high frame rates. This wasn't really a game that demanded it though, it's not a twitch shooter. It demands to be taken in as a feast for your eyes. People running this at 1080p will be the same folks who turn around and say it doesn't look that great.

I get the desire for high frame rates. This wasn't really a game that demanded it though, it's not a twitch shooter. It demands to be taken in as a feast for your eyes. People running this at 1080p will be the same folks who turn around and say it doesn't look that great.
Every game demands it. 30FPS is headache inducing. For others it's fullblown nausea inducing. It's just not a pleasant experience. Not to mention the added latency. Even on a controller it's noticable. It looks choppy and jerky and horrible. Even 60 isn't amazing.

TheContact

This has to be, by far, the best looking game out there. Ever. 4K and HDR support and even the 2080ti(!) can’t do 60fps at max settings in 4K. I wonder if two of them in SLI would even be able to run it at max settings

to anyone with the game having issues: download the latest nvidia drivers if you haven’t already. (Not saying it’s going to solve all the problems but you should start there)

Last edited:

nkarafo

I'm hoping for a 40fps stable (on a 240hz screen) at 1080p/Ultra on my GTX 1060. I just don't want 30, it's too slow.

If this is pushing a $1200 card so hard, I don't think you want to know......The difference in settings should be something indeed......
According to Alex Battaglia ultra should be thought of as future proofing, that this is more of a Crysis 2 situation and you should be aiming for a mix of medium / high even on high end hardware. (Pretty sure the tweet was linked on P2 of this thread)

Sargon

I own RDR2 on my Xbox One X, but hadn't got around to starting it yet. Am I crazy to consider buying the PC version and playing that instead (I do have a 2080 Ti)? Is there really going to be much of a difference over 4K on the X?

Just started the refund ticket. I will wait for steam version. I can't even start the game.

I'm in the same boat.

3900X and 1080ti. Can't even get the game to launch. And apparently even if I get the game to launch my 1080ti runs this game like shit for some reason.

I've tried everything including re-downloading the entire game. Absolutely nothing has worked.

UNABLE TO LAUNCH GAME - PLEASE VERIFY YOUR DATA :messenger_poop:

thelastword

Banned
I'm not a PC guy anymore but the thought of playing this at 1080p is sad. There is a lot of detail in this game that is wasted on such a low resolution.

If your PC sucks at least buy an X to get native 4k.
I'm pretty sure PC guys will be able to get 4k 30 fps with XBONEX settings and even better on a RX580, let the GPU teams sort out the drivers.....along with patches from Rockstar...One patch has already been released....

So far running great. Did update the drivers because of clicking audio. A little ways into the first chapter now.

Annoying random freezes ruining the game for me. Runs at locked 60 fps, game completely freezes for a second, runs at a locked 60 again. Changed vulcan api to DX12 but issue remains. Need to too look into it a little more tomorrow but it has been a long time since I had to troubleshoot a PC game for an issue like this.

Edit: seems related to some sort of bug that causes 100% cpu usage and hanging the entire system for a second or two. If I limit the RDR2 process to be able to use 95% CPU at the most I have no problems.

Last edited:

lefty1117

Gold Member
I've found if you can run it on high settings and get solid framerates, that's more than good enough. It looks amazing even on High

Here is a few quick clips.

Running at 1440P at 55-85 FPS depending on whats going on. So far the game is very stable except for the pause menu has some issues.

Youtube compression doing its thing to make it look way worse.

Last edited:
Anyone else have low GPU power draw with this game? Usually when my RX 470 (8GB) is under full load it draws like 120+ watts. With this I set it to +50% TDP in Afterburner and it still only draws around 95 watts max. Feels like my GPU isn't being utilized to its maximum and it's costing me frames.

Last edited:
3900X and 1080ti

This is such a shit show for me.

I was able to finally get INTO the game. It was either because I updated my bios ( from 1003 to 1004 ) or it was just because I unplugged everything from my computer except KBandM. Then I was able to actually load the game up long enough to see a wisp of smoke before the screen turned black. The game was still running in the background, I could hear it and hear myself fumbling through menus. I figured it was some problem with HDR and it was. I plugged it into a 1080p non-HDR TV and made sure resolution scaling was set to 100% in Windows. And that did the trick, for the first time I was able to startup the game and get to playing. I played some of the intro in the snow and saved as soon as it would let me manually save.

So I started tinkering with graphics settings. I turned off HDR and then plugged it back into my 4K HDR TV and again I was able to play. Started tinkering in the graphics settings again and changed from Vulkan to DX12 and now MY GAME IS FUCKED AGAIN! It just crashes and for a fraction of a second gives me that "RDR2 has excited unexpectdly" and then even that disapperas all by itself. I can't get back into the game to change back to Vulkan.

Is there any way I can change back to Vulkan without being ingame? An INI file or something?

So far my experience has been a complete nightmare - I'm back to square one - FUCK THIS

Last edited:
Thank you. Will try right now (y)

EDIT - Well that didn't work :(

Don't know what it could be. Everything was a mess.... until it wasn't.... and the last thing I did was change Vulkan to DX12 and restart, and I haven't been able to get back into the game since.

Last edited:
Does the pc version let you reassign functions that were lumped together on the console control pads?

Like can you separate climb/interact or weapon pickup/ weapon select so you dont get stuck with context controls that screw you over in some situations?

Top Bottom