• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption 2 PC [OT] - “Vengeance is an idiot's game”

JayK47

Those screens look awesome. I am so glad this came to PC. Can't wait to play it at some point once I get a new PC.

Its called high frame rates. The game is 100 percent more playable now. I feel like a badass cowboy now where I struggled to even move him properly on the X1X At 30 FPS.
That guys said he's at 26-28 FPS with a 2080 Ti, you seem to have missed the point in what I was saying.

That guys said he's at 26-28 FPS with a 2080 Ti, you seem to have missed the point in what I was saying.

You said you don’t know what the PC is putting down. Seemed like a general comment about the PC version, unless I am incorrect?

I’m running at 1440 at 60-80 FPS at Ultra, High and a few medium settings. To me 4K isn’t worth it if it performs just like the Xbox, if that is what you’re saying for his case.

Granted there are other graphical differences between the Xbox settings and ultra on Pc. Can’t wait for a DF video to break it down in more depth.

in the meantime, I am loving the game at higher framerates.

This is one of those things where it's not always easy to notice unless you know what you're looking for or have side by side shots. LOD distances are a big one, resolution of shadowmaps, volumetrics and post process effects too. Ultra is incredibly decadent and falls well into diminishing returns territory (nothing newsworthy there). The ideal setup will be balanced somewhere between that and console quality, but with higher framerates.

DanEON

Guys, I fixed the launcher crash by updating windows. Everything is fine now, played for 2 hours with no crash. I had no issue with HDR like some are having.
Weird thing is that with dx12 I need to use peak brightness at 5000, and with Vulkan at 1700.

BigBooper

For any 980ti owners I'm running it at 1080p with the ingame balanced visual setting with medium reflections and it's very close to 60fps most of the time.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

TimFL

You playing the game on a 980gt ti? what are your other specs, can you post a screen of the graphic settings? if so ill thank you forever.
Not at home atm but a rough outline of my specs is: i7 6700k, 32GB ddr4@2,8GHz, placed on a Samsung nvme 970 Pro (? I think).

Graphics probably aren‘t too high but it certainly doesn‘t look worse than the PS4 version other than the few GFX glitches I encountered on the DX12 setting.

ultrazilla

Yeah this kinda sucks. I have a Nvidia GTX 2080 Founder's Edition and at 2k resolution settings/144hz monitor, I'm getting low to mid 40's framerates and that's
not maxed out.

Jayjayhd34

Yeah this kinda sucks. I have a Nvidia GTX 2080 Founder's Edition and at 2k resolution settings/144hz monitor, I'm getting low to mid 40's framerates and that's
not maxed out.

Wierd I'm getting 40.¬ 60fps with everything mostly set ultra at 4k and have same gpu as you and i7 9700k.

ultrazilla

Wierd I'm getting 40.¬ 60fps with everything mostly set ultra at 4k and have same gpu as you and i7 9700k.

You're beating me on the i7. I only have a i7-7700. I suspected it was my processor bottlenecking the card's performance at this point.
Thanks for the confirmation!

DanEON

There is a weird bug with vulkan, when I press "shift" to run, the game looks like its running at 30FPS, but there are no FPS drop at all. Its like if the camera is stuttering.
This doesnt happen with DX12.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Is it truly that bad on the console?
yup. the controls are awful on console. i have it on PS4 and it was really bad.

not maxed out.
2K is not a resolution on PC. do you mean 1440p?

720,1080,1440,2160p are resolutions. you need to be clear because it's just gonna cause confusion. also what is "not maxed out". you could have everything cranked up full except one insignificant setting. what are the exact settings you're on?

do you have the latest drivers? what CPU do you have? how much RAM do you have?

Last edited:

ultrazilla

yup. the controls are awful on console. i have it on PS4 and it was really bad.

2K is not a resolution on PC. do you mean 1440p?

720,1080,1440,2160p are resolutions. you need to be clear because it's just gonna cause confusion. also what is "not maxed out". you could have everything cranked up full except one insignificant setting. what are the exact settings you're on?

do you have the latest drivers? what CPU do you have? how much RAM do you have?

Acer XFA240 1080p/144hz freesync monitor(running in game resolution at 1440p) 16 gig ddr 4 ram, i7-7700, all drivers up to date. As for settings, here are my settings:
4lbMGVh.jpg

IRMCEVD.jpg

AAlM1qA.jpg

JXBJY1Z.jpg

Rodss

Neo Member
Not at home atm but a rough outline of my specs is: i7 6700k, 32GB ddr4@2,8GHz, placed on a Samsung nvme 970 Pro (? I think).

Graphics probably aren‘t too high but it certainly doesn‘t look worse than the PS4 version other than the few GFX glitches I encountered on the DX12 setting.

Appreciated mate, looks like we have very similar specs, i haven't buy the game yet but as long as i can play with somewhat better graphics than the ps4 version at around 60 ill be happy enough,

sick87

Neo Member
2080ti EVGA FTW3 ultra at 1980 clock ,9900K@5ghz,32GB ram:

1440p,graphics slider moved all the way to quality,

70fps 70% of the time,but drops to 40fps very often... :-(

Game looks blurry,shining around fur,beards,etc! Arthur's coat textures look very low res!
Vulkan gives 3-4 fps more,but crashes more then with DX12!

Just very stressful experience-fps jumping all around,game "flow" feels jerky.. :-(

Hoping drivers and patches will improve the game!

Pejo

Well, I had to make certain...concessions...to play the game. I have an old 970, still kicking and screaming into this gen of games. I let the game pick its poison first and it gave me a weird 1336x768 resolution, with a mix of high and medium settings. I bumped it down to 720p :messenger_loudly_crying:, but I was able to max out nearly every slider and hit high framerates (with some drops). It's not ideal, but it's certainly playable. I think this definitely is the end of my old workhorse 970 though. I'll be keeping an eye on the next round of cards and deciding if I want to do that or go with a (hopefully) discounted 2080 at that time.

The game feels snappier than the PS4 Pro version (less input lag if I'd have to guess?) that I played previously, otherwise it's the same game. I beat the prologue and just rode around for a while before bed last night. I wasn't prepared for the decryption of the Pre-load to take nearly 2 hours so that killed a lot of my playtime.

I hope the thread stays updated as mods start coming out, that's the thing I'm most excited about from the PC version.

Last edited:

Siri

Banned
Unless I lower my refresh rate to 60Hz I’m experiencing atrocious frame-time issues. Anything below 60 FPS can also cause problems.

This is on a Gsync display, btw.

It seems I need to maintain a constant 60 FPS at 60Hz for this game to be smooth.

Siri

Banned
Also, to make a comment about the game itself, which I haven’t really started yet (I’m still in the starting snowy area, tinkering with the settings) - but I love how, when the game loads, the main character isn’t just standing there, but actually doing something, like resting against a wall, or drinking from a river.

If this is the type of detail Rockstar has put into this game throughout then I’m going to love this game.

lefty1117

Gold Member
Also, to make a comment about the game itself, which I haven’t really started yet (I’m still in the starting snowy area, tinkering with the settings) - but I love how, when the game loads, the main character isn’t just standing there, but actually doing something, like resting against a wall, or drinking from a river.

If this is the type of detail Rockstar has put into this game throughout then I’m going to love this game.

Yes this is how the game is. And much of that level of detail carries into RDR Online as well

cryogenic7

Its called high frame rates. The game is 100 percent more playable now. I feel like a badass cowboy now where I struggled to even move him properly on the X1X At 30 FPS.
This. The game is actually fun to play and control now. On X1X it's slow as molasses and the frame rate was awful.

The biggest performance hogs seem to be these:

Water physics quality - Set this as low as possible, massive performance hit for little gain
Near volumetric resolution - Use medium or high for best performance/visual ratio
Shadow quality - Use high for best performance/visual ratio
Geometry level of detail - Use the second lowest value for best performance/visual ratio
Grass level of detail - Use lower settings but not too low, it will look bad.

Top Bottom