• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption coming in 2017 according to Dev

This seems reasonable. It's obviously not coming out this year otherwise we'd know about it already, and it has probably been in production of some kind since the first game launched. I believe all R* studios work together on big productions now, so I expect this has been the focus for all of them since GTAV first launched.

I still hope it'll be called Red Dead Retribution, although changing the name each time will be problematic in the long term, so it's simpler just to go for RDR2.

GlamFM

Banned
As far as I know Rockstar hasn't been at E3 in forever, let alone announce stuff there. The title is a bit cheesy but as long as we get a new Red Dead game I don't care.

Rockstar pls.

RDR was first shown during a montage at E3.

GTA V HD was also announced at E3.

Also, this:

bc554a4cfdbca64e048ff6e398dd6e517261b55b.jpg__620x331_q85_crop_upscale.jpg

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
RDR3 is coming but I'm calling bullshit on this article and game title. Fall 2017 also seems a bit too far, knowing Rockstar they'd list a Spring release and then delay it to the fall a few months before release.

Gimme a RDR set a few years after the Civil War staring a farm girl who's family fled from the South and a Native American male. The girl once came from great fortune and a large plantation, rides English style, and is trying to move on from her now dead father's wicked ways. The other male character rides Western, is wary of white folk and the other tribes being forced into his land. They obviously hate each other on paper but shit happens and they have to work together. Rockstar magic.

I'd play it. Make the third character a freed slave trying to start a new life in the West.

...and they're all after a pile of Gold buried in an unmarked grave!

Revan

There was a Legends & Killers DLC pack.

Now that I'm not drinking and GAFing - that's what it was called. There is also a Legend of the West outfit you can unlock for Marston by doing all the challenges in the SP game.

I still think that Legends of the West is a little cliché'd for a title.

I really want that Red Dead Remaster to happen. Almost more then a sequel.

Almost.

Solo

I haven't played any games in 3 years (TLoU being my last game) and havent jumped to the new gen, but if this happens, it'll get me back into gaming and force me to buy a next-gen console, as RDR is amazing and was my GOTG last gen.

ekim

It will be named "Red Dead 3" because of the 3 different characters you can play. It's as easy as that.

GlamFM

Banned
It will be named "Red Dead 3" because of the 3 different characters you can play. It's as easy as that.

There never was a RDR2 so the next one being called 3 is highly unlikely.

it´s either Red Dead Something with R

or Red Dead Redemption 2

I believe the latter since for many the series started with Redemption and not Revolver.

GTA IV was not called VI although Vice City and San Andreas came out between 3 and 4.

ekim

There never was a RDR2 so the next one being called 3 is highly unlikely.

it´s either Red Dead Something with R

or Red Dead Redemption 2

I believe the latter since for many the series started with Redemption and not Revolver.

GTA IV was not called VI although Vice City and San Andreas came out between 3 and 4.

Red Dead 3, not Red Dead Redemption 3. It's the third Red Dead title and the 3 is primarily here for the characters. "Jack, Billy and Winnetou are the Red Dead Three (3)"

GlamFM

Banned
Red Dead 3, not Red Dead Redemption 3. It's the third Red Dead title and the 3 is primarily here for the characters. "Jack, Billy and Winnetou are the Red Dead Three (3)"

IC.

But "Three" does not start with "R"

c-c-c-c-combobreaker!

I stand by my statement!

:p

ekim

IC.

But "Three" does not start with "R"

c-c-c-c-combobreaker!

I stand by my statement!

:p

That's true though.
Maybe one of those:
Red Dead Revolution
Red Dead Retribution
Red Dead Rebellion
Red Dead Rebels
Red Dead Reckoning
Red Dead Rep
Red Dead Reaver
Red Dead Red

I doubt they would use the name Redemption.

Though if there are multiple player characters I hope one is a woman. Red Dead isn't a satirical and vulgar game like GTA and there were several famous women gunfighters in the Old West.

eso76

That's true though.
Maybe one of those:
Red Dead Revolution
Red Dead Retribution
Red Dead Rebellion
Red Dead Rebels
Red Dead Reckoning
Red Dead Rep
Red Dead Reaver
Red Dead Red

Red Dead R°
Red Dead Rockstar

Rifle
Ricochet
Retaliation
Repentance
Ranchero
Ranger(s)
Rambler
Rustlers
Reward
Rio
Rodeo
Rider(s)
Return(s)
Revenge
Renegade
Roughshod

(just made a list of all R words used in Western movie titles)

Except I'd wager that 90% of the people who played Red Dead Redemption have no idea Red Dead Revolver even exists. So from a marketing perspective Red Dead Redemption 2 makes a lot more sense.

Ash735

I still don't know why Rockstar didn't release RDR for PC.

Because it's a miracle it even works on consoles, it was slapped together and rushed around until things just made sense, unlike other Rockstar titles from that generation it uses a subset build of the engine, to clear it up, here's how RAGE is broken is broken down...

RAGE ERB1
- Rockstar Presents Table Tennis

RAGE ERB2
- Grand Theft Auto IV
- Midnight Club LA
- Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City

RAGE ERB3
- Max Payne 3
- Grand Theft Auto V/Online

RAGE is developed by Rockstar San Diego, the studio that handles the Midnight Club and Red Dead series, for Red Dead Redemption though it uses neither ERB2 or ERB3, it's like a highly customised split off version of ERB2 mixed with some RB3 features (think of it like a 2.5), The code for that was a complete mess and changes were made daily without being documented during development, and as such no PC version of the code was ever made as they strictly focused on getting the Xbox 360 (which was the main focus of RAGE during ERB1 and ERB2) and PlayStation 3 version of the game stable.

After Red Dead Redemption, Rockstar used the year in which L.A.Noire was being pushed (which doesn't use RAGE) to heavily rework RAGE for a new build which took advantage of both PC and PlayStation 3 features, as well as pushing the Xbox 360 to it's limits, this resulted in ERB3 which debuted with Max Payne 3, which of course had a brilliant PC version compared to the previous PC release which at the time was Grand Theft Auto IV/Episodes from Liberty City.

The ONLY way Rockstar could do a remaster of Red Dead Redemption is if they took the game itself and transfered it over to ERB3 and THEN ported it to PC (which in turn would allow PS4 and XBO versions too), but to salvage that mess of a code and actually put that amount of work into it would cost a lot of man hours.

It's not because "they just hate PC gamers", etc, or anything silly like that, it really is because the game itself is a coded mess and it's a surprise it got stable on 360/PS3, if you look at the assets yourself you can even see things like audio and textures thrown in last minute not packed in the archives properly, etc, as an example of how things were being thrown around right up til gold with the game.

One of my dumbass friends posted this on facebook yesterday. I'll never understand how people look at rumors from completely unknown and non credible websites like this and run with it.

I'm sure Frag Hero has moles all throughout the industry sending them top secret info. And if I was a Rockstar dev who definitely wanted to ruin my career by leaking info about a new game and made sure everyone person on the internet saw it, you bet your ass I'm going to Frag Hero. Kotak-who?

Stoze

Reposting for the new page:

Didn't we have this "Legends of the West" rumor a year ago already? There was a thread about it and even some supposed details that sounded too far fetched to be even remotely true. Something about multiple playable characters (that's not the far fetched part yet), which would be your NPC companions from Red Dead Redemption (Seth and Irish i think?), as well as a character you create yourself. According to the rumor it would be a prequel set during the gold rush or something and among other things you would see how Seth lost his family due to his obsession and how he became the weird guy he is in RDR.

There was more info, but it honestly sounded like fan fiction.

Edit:

Found it:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1024432&highlight=red+dead

Either someone is warming up this old rumor or there's actually some truth in it. I totally believe that they are working on a new RDR, but the specifics of this rumor sound like BS. It's subtitled "Legends of the West" and you play as your old sidekicks and a create-a-character? OK. :)

Should probably be linked to in the OP.

Maybe it's just me but man that sounds kinda awful. Irish and Seth were the worst parts of RDR for me because it felt like they were trying to shove GTA's signature zany unbelievable characters into a game that felt like a more serious, cool depiction of westerns. Also as great as character switching was in GTA, I think bringing that into Red Dead could make it really unfocused and damper the story.

That's all just fun speculation of course. It is interesting that this lines up with the new rumor, which could go either way in terms of legitimacy.

LightJak007

Neo Member
Hoping this rumor turns out to be true. At least give us Red Dead Redemption HD while we wait, I've been wanting to play it again and if it's likely it'll get the remastered treatment, I'll gladly wait.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
For those of you saying it can't be called Red Dead Redemption 2 because it's the third game in the series.

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 would like a word with you...,

Top Bottom