• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption II |OT| Who knew horse testicles had such a crunch?

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
So what's the verdict on HDR? Turn it off?
I would like to hear some opinions on this as well. I played with mine off for a bit after watching the HDR analysis video then just turned it back on. I don't feel like the two modes are very different but HDR seems brighter which I like.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So what's the verdict on HDR? Turn it off?

Some say they like the color shades better, some do not like the slight blur.

Rockstar apparently is aware of the issue, so there is definitely one. Either way, it is not real HDR, or even close to the HDR other games are doing.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Well I tried for myself and without a doubt it looks way better with HDR off. With HDR on, the colors are all washed out. It's a huge difference.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
God dammit, I had a perfect elk pelt and was going to take it back to camp when those
fucking inbred hillbillies ambushed me. I thought they'd be like the other gangs, but I swear those cousin spawned retards are the Hillbilly Hydra. Every time I killed one two more would pop out of the trees and start shooting me. I finally had enough and started trying to get away, but they would not stop chasing me. I finally thought I got away and one popped out and killed me. I lost that elk skin and haven't been able to find another one yet.

Rest

Some say they like the color shades better, some do not like the slight blur.

Rockstar apparently is aware of the issue, so there is definitely one. Either way, it is not real HDR, or even close to the HDR other games are doing.
Wait, the blur comes from the HDR, or it gets worse if you turn it off? Because if I can turn off the motion blur that would make this game even better.

I hope this is OK with the MODs, i read through the rules and didn't see anything against mentioning posting FaceBook groups.

Me and my buddies started up a closed community Facebook "Red Dead Redemption 2 Fishing Crew" Page and we are trying to grow it!

Here is the the punch GUYS & GALS...

If you are Playing RDR2 and enjoy fishing, come compete with us to see who can catch the rarest, MOST legendary best pound for pound FISHIES! Simply take a snap shot of your screen and uploaded to facebook showing off your catch of the day! More people the more competition!!!

Simply go to facebook and type in "Red Dead Redemption 2 Fishing Crew" and you will find us. It's a closed group, so simply hit join now and you will be accepted shorty!

Come Join US if you love Fishing and love the thrill of competition!

😉👍

Last edited:

Zimmy68

A week later and I just started chapter 3. What a game.

Is there a way to instantly replenish your dead eye core?

Glad I did the money glitch. Bounties can add up.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
So apparently you can miss some missions? Dutch had one for me, but instead I did the John train ones then the Jack one and once that Jack one was done the Dutch one was no longer an option.

Kagero

Guys, I have a dilemma. I’m currently four hours in to asscreed and I’m loving it but I really want to play red dead. I don’t have a lot of time in the day to play games so open world games of this magnitude usually take me about four times as long to complete. Should I drop asscreed and play red dead and then return to asscreed later on?

I would like to hear some opinions on this as well. I played with mine off for a bit after watching the HDR analysis video then just turned it back on. I don't feel like the two modes are very different but HDR seems brighter which I like.

Last night I kept switching back and forth from HDR off to HDR on (through One X dashboard) and prefer it on with a few tweeks to my TV settings aswel, did this for about 2 hours until i was happy. Also turned my dynamic color on low and dynamic contrast on medium and changed a few other settings aswel. Got it looking beautiful!

Last edited:
I am doing a particular mission, the goal is to get this guys office without alerting the Foreman because he'll destroy some documents.
The Forman is sitting in his office. If you stealthily move over to the outside window of the factory and revoke his living privileges with a throwing knife, you instantly fail saying: "The documents were destroyed" ...by the guy you just killed.
I had devised a clever, faster way to kill the foreman without ever having to enter the factory proper, but Rockstar couldn't get over themselves long enough to allow me to miss this dumb cutscene.

Don't railroad players in open world games, it's pointless.
Overall I'm not too impressed with most of RDR2's gameplay. The AI is very wonky, Karma is a pisser to raise but easy to lose, and missions are as scripted as could be. Dumb things like "get back in the house" or nonsense like that with immediate failure if the conditions the game wants are not met.

Halo0629

Guys, I have a dilemma. I’m currently four hours in to asscreed and I’m loving it but I really want to play red dead. I don’t have a lot of time in the day to play games so open world games of this magnitude usually take me about four times as long to complete. Should I drop asscreed and play red dead and then return to asscreed later on?
Yeah drop asscreed, red dead 2 is just on a way different level.

MayauMiao

Loving this game. I avoid doing main mission because the task of gathering money, hunting, side missions, is quite fun. Only thing that annoys me at this moment is the lack of fast travel but the beautiful graphics made riding the horse worthwhile.

Fucking beautiful game.

This is frustrating. The pre order bonus stuff is not available in game for me. Digital ultimate edition. Talisman not in chest, valentine gunsmith doesn't have the weapons either. hmm, what to do. Shows installed under notifications...

v0mitg0d

ok so I found out how to access that secret room in the Gunsmith's shop in Saint Denis, so I threw it into a video. Hope this helps!

camelCase

This game has some sadistic pleasure with fucking up your good time. I have had sidequests made unavailable. Like wtf? I can't do the Henry Limeux sidequest because.... well who the fuck knows!

Lost a legendary pelt the other day, nice. Felt great. Also a few perfect pelts were lost on that run. Maybe an hours play gone? Hey, fuck it, it's immersive. A great time was had by all.

A great game that makes me incredibly bitter whenever it decides to flex its realism muscle... it's so infuriating. And yet there are the assholes who play a few hours on their 4k oleds and tell me it's brave, risk taking immersion. I ride the fuck out with this game, and yet it pushes me to blue language.

The law system is garbage, btw. I get shot at in town and fingered for murder because I had the audacity to defend myself. This is frontier times, not modern day America, mind you. CNN doesn't have the story come morning when you pressed triangle a little too close to a pedestrian whilst trying to mount your horse and committed a full-on assault. Fuckin' shit.

So immersive, really. It's enchanting.

xviper

i'm at chapter 5 and i just want this to end

i feel like i haven't been bored from a game like this since AC:O

i wonder when will the honey moon end and people start realizing that this game is shit

i lost hope for the MP because they completely fucked up the gameplay, RDR 1 had an amazing and very responsive gameplay which resulted in an amazing MP

Psykodad

Banned
Much better contrast and deeper colors with hdr off just be sure to calibrate the in game brightness
I dunno, the game looks far too "cartoony" with HDR off. Like a Western-sim with Fortnite's color-palette.
To me, this is a case of staring blind on the tech and, for some people, feeling "forced" to like the more vibrant colors of HDR off more than the more realistic muted colors of HDR on, because the experts said so.

Tbh, lighting looks far better with HDR on, which to me, is far more important to the look of the game than more vibrant colors (which I'm not too fond of anyway).

To each their own, I guess.

Last edited:

Skyr

I dunno, the game looks far too "cartoony" with HDR off. Like a Western-sim with Fortnite's color-palette.
To me, this is a case of staring blind on the tech and, for some people, feeling "forced" to like the more vibrant colors of HDR off more than the more realistic muted colors of HDR on, because the experts said so.

Tbh, lighting looks far better with HDR on, which to me, is far more important to the look of the game than more vibrant colors (which I'm not too fond of anyway).

Well, I‘m glad I‘m not the only one who feels exactly that way. Still looking forward to the patch to make it even better. I hope it won‘t throw off the realistic look that hdr gives you now. But you can always mute the colors on your tv a little I guess.

Vlaphor

Just bought this game yesterday and my Xbox One X breaks while trying to install it...

Still under warranty, but now I have to wait at least another week before playing it.

GenericUser

Alright, so I finally had some quality time to spend on RDR2. I can't play this game in short bursts like after work or in between other busywork. I really need hours and hours of free time, well rested with no other bullshit on my mind. Haven't had that in the last few weeks, so maybe that was the reason I coudn't enjoy the game in the first place.

But boy did this game click today. Earlier this day, I really forced myself to start it, to "rush the campaign". I told myself that I at least wanted to finish the story, just because I thought the story could keep me entertained. Little did I know. Without really thinking about it, hours later I found myself in the middle of these gorgeous forests, hunting for deer. This game is like the matrix, it feels like I'm really there, living the everyday life of a person in the wild west. Just forced myself now to stop playing to do some exercise but as soon as I return, I'll jump right back in.

I'm playing on the Pro and I can barely imagine how wonderful this game must look like on the X in 4K. I envy you xbros here a little, to be quiet honest :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:. One thing regarding HDR. I would definitely recommend to keep it ON. Just turn the calibration up to 500 and tune your TVs color settings. The crushing blacks on SDR ruin the image in my opinion. Hope rockstar drops the HDR patch sooner then later, any eta?

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!

Yeah but that's not what HDR is suppose to do. It's obviously fucked up. HDR does not mute color and overexpose an image. I can understand not liking the vibrant colors, but I find the image to have much more depth and contrast with HDR off as well. Honesty, I think what you say you prefer is straight up broken, but to each their own.

Last edited:

Rest

i wonder when will the honey moon end and people start realizing that this game is shit

i lost hope for the MP because they completely fucked up the gameplay, RDR 1 had an amazing and very responsive gameplay which resulted in an amazing MP
Why are you still playing? Once a game stops being fun I turn it off, the game exists for your enjoyment, if you're not getting any don't waste your time on it.

I think I hate this game.

I tried poker as a break from the tedium of camp management, but quickly found myself bored with it and annoyed at how long it took to get through each round. 8 second long animations dealing cards, 8 second long animations of collecting winnings with the same fucking smirk derpface, every fucking round, followed by another deal animation... Jesus Christ the tedium. They don't even try to speed it up. It takes longer than a real game. I played for an hour and got nowhere. It was the most boring game of holdem I've ever witnessed. And despite all the detail and animations they didn't bother to put in body language as tells. Same canned stuff as RDR1. Detail for the sake of everything but gameplay.

So I stopped poker and moved into Valentine for some open world town action where I got my first taste of how horribly broken and nonsensical the wanted and bounty system is. It started when I interrupted a would be murderer from killing his girlfriend. Being the good guy I was I hogtied him and decided to take him to the sheriff cause I'm a good citizen. Except a passerby saw me carrying him and immediately ran to the sheriff who placed a bounty on my head for kidnapping. What in the blue fuck is this? Why can't I defuse this situation? Why punish the player for this?

But I gave in anyway. Served my time and paid the bounty I didn't deserve to pay and went on until some schmuck in town decided to give me shit. So I give him a single warning antagonism and he pulls his gun and starts shooting me. I did the sensible thing and defended myself. Now I'm wanted for murder.... For defending myself in plain view of the whole tow in the Wild West...................................... At this point I engaged in a flurry of clusterfuck that is this game's combat as I struggled to take on two or three deputies before dying while scrambling around cover I couldn't get behind cause you know... That's realistic and immersive to not know how to duck behind something in less than 5 seconds.... So after I spawned I went on another short lived rage induced rampage.

Now I am stuck in an endless loop of getting killed by a posse that randomly spawns next to me wherever I am in the world every five minutes because I can't pay off a bullshit bounty and I can't rob or kill or make money legitimately in any manner because the combat system doesn't let me take on more than 2 guys without dying, causing me to constantly lose more supplies, money, and honor with each death. I'm barely in Chapter 2 but I can't proceed. It won't let me be a criminal, it won't let me play legit, it won't let me have fun without saving and punishing me over and over.

The systemic world that was promised in the previews is nothing more then a bunch of shambled together half baked concepts that often contradict common sense and are made ever worse by the controls, jank and bugs. There is nothing persistent or sensible in the way the core systems work. NPCs and animals spawn in the peripheral just like the old games. Enemies inexplicably speed up to the player like the rubber band AI of Mario kart 64. Even in the camp the one place you'd think they'd have it under control characters will teleport from one side to the other to play out some scripted scene. The previews were bullshit.

I've put hundreds of hours in Bethesda rpgs, I've played BOTW. This game is tedium and jank the likes of which neither of those franchises can compare yet those games actually have a systemic and persistent world to some extent. Everything here is faked through scripting and the scripting is broken and immersion killing half the time. The wanted system is the same as it always was except now it is extra punishing and unforgiving with bounty you can't pay off.

So what is this game in the end? We are left with something that punishes the player for playing the game with chores, and then punishes you some more when you can't complete those chores, then makes it harder to complete those chores... I say chores because there is literally no fun or simple way to make money or collect supplies in this game. Look at the lengths players have to go through to pull off a simple robbery without getting a bounty that completely offsets it.. It doesn't make sense, it isn't fun, it is tedious and unintuitive because the wanted and bounty system is fundamentally flawed.

If that wasn't enough this game gives Bethesda a run for their money with jank and bugs, with missions so linear and scripted as to make COD devs blush, a UI and control layout as comfortable as solving a Rubix cube while shaving your balls, combat that is better left unspoken of, and boring chores that they couldn't even be bothered to make a minigame or something, only tedium time wasters. The sim-lite stuff is fine for immersion purposes until the other "systems" come in to wipe out all your hard work. Oh you spent a half hour getting a perfect buck? Too bad, the posse found out you were hunting up in the mountains so your dead with less money and supplies, bitch.

But damn if the graphics tech isn't impressive so game of the generation I guess.

Kagero

Thanks for this. I hate super saturated colors. In a realistic game like RDR it makes no sense.

Hudo

I'm just curious because I can't play the game yet (waiting for PC).

Do you think all the details, animations etc. get in the way of "getting on with it"? Basically that the simulation of the world and the detail of interaction with it were implemented in such a way that gets in the way of the gameplay?

Or is it more an issue of how the story progression gates the world/gameplay mechanics and the story just isn't paced well? (Not trying to be an asshole, if that's how I come across. I am geniunely interested in this).

...I have had sidequests made unavailable...
...The law system is garbage...
Some sidequests are only available at night.
Yes, the wanted system is absolutely terrible, it's so broken. I don't know if Rockstar didn't realize people were going to test its limits(it's a sandbox game, they had to know), but I'm awfully sick of knocking aggressors out only to have the law attempt to murder and then extort me.

Psykodad

Banned
Yeah but that's not what HDR is suppose to do. It's obviously fucked up. HDR does not mute color and overexpose an image. I can understand not liking the vibrant colors, but I find the image to have much more depth and contrast with HDR off as well. Honesty, I think what you say you prefer is straight up broken, but to each their own.

Fair enough, I'm not saying HDR isn't broken, but from what I see on my screen lighting is far better with HDR on than when it's off.
Somebody else also mentioned this somewhere, but rainbows seen through fog look much better with HDR on.
Also, and this might just be my mind playing tricks on me, but weather effects lile fog appear to have much more volume with HDR on.

So yeah, maybe the muted colors are because there's something weird with HDR, it's the rest that I rather have than vibrant colors.

xviper

I'm just curious because I can't play the game yet (waiting for PC).

Do you think all the details, animations etc. get in the way of "getting on with it"? Basically that the simulation of the world and the detail of interaction with it were implemented in such a way that gets in the way of the gameplay?

Or is it more an issue of how the story progression gates the world/gameplay mechanics and the story just isn't paced well? (Not trying to be an asshole, if that's how I come across. I am geniunely interested in this).
you know how Rockstar games were all about the fun ?? none of that is in RDR 2

the main quests are insanely boring, it kinda goes like this:

1- go to X
2- ride with X while chatting for 5 minutes
3- talk to Y
4- ride with X and Y for 5 minutes
5- rob a certain location
6- a shootout starts
7- go back to camp which takes 5 minutes

every quest is a slog, the side quests are actually way more fun than the main quests, not because they are good, no, they are okay, but because they are not as repetitive as the main quests

the aim for realism has definitely reduced the fun factor, the long and boring animations makes me not wanting to loot a house or a lot of corpses, hunting is limited and kinda useless thanks to "Muh realism"

i know that all Rockstar games have horrible story quests, but in GTA you had fun just driving in the city, in Bully you had fun screwing around the teachers and students, in RDR 1 you had fun shooting people because the gunplay was SO DAMN GOOD

but in RDR 2 they ruined the gunplay of RDR 1, it's slow, unresponsive and unsatisfying

and the fucking bounty, every fucking time i just touch a civilian i get a damn bounty, and if you played a quest that takes place in a town, you get a bounty, like WTF ?

i'm actually thinking about dropping the game, sometimes i turn on my ps4 to play RDR 2 and don't touch the controller for hours, unlike games like BOTW where when i wake up i immediately turn on my WII U to play and sink at least 14 hours a day

RDR 2 is now my second most disappointing game of the generation, number 1 is of course FFXV

Hudo

you know how Rockstar games were all about the fun ?? none of that is in RDR 2

the main quests are insanely boring, it kinda goes like this:

1- go to X
2- ride with X while chatting for 5 minutes
3- talk to Y
4- ride with X and Y for 5 minutes
5- rob a certain location
6- a shootout starts
7- go back to camp which takes 5 minutes

every quest is a slog, the side quests are actually way more fun than the main quests, not because they are good, no, they are okay, but because they are not as repetitive as the main quests

the aim for realism has definitely reduced the fun factor, the long and boring animations makes me not wanting to loot a house or a lot of corpses, hunting is limited and kinda useless thanks to "Muh realism"

i know that all Rockstar games have horrible story quests, but in GTA you had fun just driving in the city, in Bully you had fun screwing around the teachers and students, in RDR 1 you had fun shooting people because the gunplay was SO DAMN GOOD

but in RDR 2 they ruined the gunplay of RDR 1, it's slow, unresponsive and unsatisfying

and the fucking bounty, every fucking time i just touch a civilian i get a damn bounty, and if you played a quest that takes place in a town, you get a bounty, like WTF ?

i'm actually thinking about dropping the game, sometimes i turn on my ps4 to play RDR 2 and don't touch the controller for hours, unlike games like BOTW where when i wake up i immediately turn on my WII U to play and sink at least 14 hours a day

RDR 2 is now my second most disappointing game of the generation, number 1 is of course FFXV
Oh boy, that sounds like the big open world turned out to be a curse in disguise, when the majority of main quests seem to look like travelling takes up the most time. Is exploration fun, at least?

I'm glad that you mentioned BOTW (I didn't want to drop BOTW in here because I feared people would roll their eyes). For me, it's the definitive open world game. I mean, it's a game that kinda brought me back into gaming. And BOTW just incorporates the world so well into the mechanics. Again, that's just my opinion of BOTW. Others might see that differently and that's OK.

But it's unfortunate that Rockstar seem to have utilised one scheme of quest design ad nauseam...

xviper

Oh boy, that sounds like the big open world turned out to be a curse in disguise, when the majority of main quests seem to look like travelling takes up the most time. Is exploration fun, at least?

I'm glad that you mentioned BOTW (I didn't want to drop BOTW in here because I feared people would roll their eyes). For me, it's the definitive open world game. I mean, it's a game that kinda brought me back into gaming. And BOTW just incorporates the world so well into the mechanics. Again, that's just my opinion of BOTW. Others might see that differently and that's OK.

But it's unfortunate that Rockstar seem to have utilised one scheme of quest design ad nauseam...
sadly exploration in RDR 2 is horrible, there isn't much to uncover, your horse would get tired in about 5 minutes so you have to unmount it and feed it and then go back to ride, even if you went exploring and found a house, you will have to go through these annoying animations to loot the entire house

i'd say most of my time on RDR 2 was spent on mashing X during horse riding

in my opinion BOTW broke the bar in terms of exploration, i doubt i will enjoy exploring in a game like i did in BOTW, it's the first time that i felt like it's a true adventure, when i played BOTW, i kept telling myself that this is what video games should be, this is a 100% video game, something we lack in this era of "Muh cinematic story"

Has anyone else noticed that the mission dialogue often runs out before we actually arrive at the destination?
I understand it's a big world, but RDR1 was pretty good about filling the entire ride to a destination with chatter. Seems like the amount of dialogue stayed the same, but horse rides are twice as long.
This game sounds terrible to play as a good/moral cowboy...
It is, nevermind the story elements where Arthur must be an asshole, that's not the issue. I've been stuck at a particular area of good karma for most of the game and can't seem to raise it any higher because a little bump or knock into someone with your horse causes you to lose more Karma than an entire mission of rescuing slaves with a Monk.
So in order to make up for that little bump into someone, I have to shoe half of sub-Saharan Africa, pledge 22 million to Mother Teresa using only ethically made money, and lecture to classrooms around the country about the dangers of Horse-riding in a big city. THEN maybe I've gained all the karma I lost back after bumping into someone or looting a dead man I didn't kill.

sadly exploration in RDR 2 is horrible, there isn't much to uncover, your horse would get tired in about 5 minutes so you have to unmount it and feed it and then go back to ride, even if you went exploring and found a house, you will have to go through these annoying animations to loot the entire house

i'd say most of my time on RDR 2 was spent on mashing X during horse riding

in my opinion BOTW broke the bar in terms of exploration, i doubt i will enjoy exploring in a game like i did in BOTW, it's the first time that i felt like it's a true adventure, when i played BOTW, i kept telling myself that this is what video games should be, this is a 100% video game, something we lack in this era of "Muh cinematic story"

Where can you even loot houses?

Every building, cabin, and home I've come across out side of the saloons and stores have been locked and unable to be entered. The windows blacked out as if there's nothing inside. This surprised the shit out of me since there aren't even that many buildings in the world and the game is all about robbing and gathering supplies....

Wonkytonk

Just finished the game
including the epilogue

I don’t think I’ve ever felt so sad knowing that a game is over. Those characters had a real impact on me and the story is something that I’m going to be thinking about for a very long time.

Masterpiece.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
HLEB89i.jpg

HLEBjST.jpg

HLEBxvj.jpg

HLEBJhs.jpg

HLEBWY8.jpg

HLEC8dF.jpg

HLECnV4.jpg

Nymphae

Banned
One small thing I wish they would have done...

When you smoke a cigar, it looks awesome and I just wish he would smoke it for more than one puff before throwing it on the ground.

Has anyone else noticed that the mission dialogue often runs out before we actually arrive at the destination?
I understand it's a big world, but RDR1 was pretty good about filling the entire ride to a destination with chatter. Seems like the amount of dialogue stayed the same, but horse rides are twice as long.

Do you talk to the people you're riding with? As in you press R2/RT and a prompt comes up with possible topics. To be honest, my problem is the opposite of yours, I actually have to go slow to get all the dialogue because if I go too fast it gets cut off by the next scene. To me they're not designed around gallop speed, at best they're at run speed and sometimes I have have to slow to a trot even.

Top Bottom