• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption II |OT| Who knew horse testicles had such a crunch?

Halo0629

The law system is kinda garbage in this game sometimes. Like being in a city like St Denis it feels like being in a glass shop that when you hit someone while running or on your horse it can easily get you into trouble with the cops.

Geki-D

Banned
The law system is kinda garbage in this game sometimes. Like being in a city like St Denis it feels like being in a glass shop that when you hit someone while running or on your horse it can easily get you into trouble with the cops.
I feel like it's garbage all of the time. I hate being Wanted because it takes me right out of the experience.

Halo0629

I feel like it's garbage all of the time. I hate being Wanted because it takes me right out of the experience.
I think it's fine when I'm on smaller towns or outside of it but when it comes to large cities like St Denis where so many people are walking around it's pretty garbage. I remember going to a trapper there and hit an npc then all of a sudden every cop in St Denis are already chasing and shooting me.

Geki-D

Banned
I think it's fine when I'm on smaller towns or outside of it but when it comes to large cities like St Denis where so many people are walking around it's pretty garbage. I remember going to a trapper there and hit an npc then all of a sudden every cop in St Denis are already chasing and shooting me.
It's harder to get wanted for a dumb reason and you actually have time to take out witnesses in small towns, but once you're wanted a million lawmen still seems to beam down from space and start shooting at you.
Also, there's a mission at one point which scores you a 300$ bounty at Strawberry. So with and the heat off me I was still able to stroll right into the sheriff's office and pick up someone elses wanted poster (only worth 40$ to my 300) then deliver the bounty. Apparently the sheriff doesn't keep to up to date on who they're looking for or remember that time from 2 days ago when me and my buddy murdered half the town.

But you know, you can't use a stagecoach when you're wanted, those guys have a photographic memory.

Something that is really annoying me about this game is how it just randomly unequips my guns
God, yes. To add insult to injury they even reset what ammo you have loaded in. The whole thing is especially annoying to me cause I'm a completionist with all the guns and I have to cycle through a load of guns and ammo to get back my usual loadout.

Last edited:

v1oz

Did they improve the movements and controls? The older games had slow clunky movements and controls because of the euphoria physics engine. It’s an issue I have with most Rockstar games inluding the last Max Payne.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
Did they improve the movements and controls? The older games had slow clunky movements and controls because of the euphoria physics engine. It’s an issue I have with most Rockstar games inluding the last Max Payne.
No. It's been ages since I played GTAV but at least by memory I'm finding this to be worst. Sometimes getting the character to stand in the right stop to search something or pick something up feels like a boss fight. Fighting a cougar or a pack of wolves without using Dead Eye is a real struggle too because of how slow and clunky you are compared to them.

Woodchipper

Having a minor problem in the endgame, and I'd like to know if it's just me. Huge spoilers so do NOT try and help if you have not completed the epilogue!

I can't sleep in John's house. When I walk up to the bed it just asks me if I wanna fast travel, and when I try the other side, nothing.

I mean it's a bit weird that you can make a camp in the woods and sleep there, or at a hotel/saloon, but not in your own house, isn't it? Anyone else having the same problem?

Last edited:

zwiggelbig

hahaha I found a guy who was being kidnapped. I saved his ass, but instead of being thankfull he was ungrateful and ran away. I ran after him, tied him up again and threw him in the water. Those tiny moments are great. But god dam it, this game is in so many ways not fun to actual play due to gameplay shit. No running in camp.. I like my camp, but being in camp is tedious...
horse riding does not feel satisfying. Wish there was more with different speeds, and it just felt better. Also tap to run is annoying as hell.

camelCase

I got frustrated and shot up the whole of Saint Denis last night. Man, what an incompetent police force they have there. I killed nearly 50 of them and burned a few more with molotovs and they couldn't stop me. Reloaded me save though because I got a $1200 bounty.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I just started Chapter 3. Will the story ever pick up, or should I expect a similar pace for the remainder of the game?

v1oz

No. It's been ages since I played GTAV but at least by memory I'm finding this to be worst. Sometimes getting the character to stand in the right stop to search something or pick something up feels like a boss fight. Fighting a cougar or a pack of wolves without using Dead Eye is a real struggle too because of how slow and clunky you are compared to them.
Yeah these are the things which annoy me about Rockstar games. They spend eight years making a game and fail to get the controls to feel responsive. And it’s funny how none of the reviews picked up on this? It was the same with Max Payne 3, none of the reviews picked up on the clunky co tools.

Last edited:
I just read what I have to do for final 2 levels of health/stamina/dead eye. I love the game but I don't think I have it in me to go through all of that.

Yeah these are the things which annoy me about Rockstar games. They spend eight years making a game and fail to get the controls to feel responsive. And it’s funny how none of the reviews picked up on this? It was the same with Max Payne 3, none of the reviews picked up on the clunky co tools.

Or it is intentional. And you are not actually smarter than all the devs at Rockstar combined.

Like you said, they had 8 years to get it to feel how they like. And also like you said reviewer did not dislike the controls. So the problem is not the game it is you.

Last edited:

Dries

Yeah, about the controls. Everyone looking for a GTA clone in the Wild West will be dissappointed. The game controls fine, it just forces you to take it slow. It’s more simulator, less game actually. For me that means RDR2 is super immersive, and I love it for that.

Although sometimes it does suck during hectic shootouts. That I’ll say.

Also, still playing with HDR off on PS4 Pro.

Last edited:

Inviusx

Probably already been discussed but I noticed that Opossums will play dead if you approach them. Fun little detail.

v1oz

Or it is intentional. And you are not actually smarter than all the devs at Rockstar combined.

Like you said, they had 8 years to get it to feel how they like. And also like you said reviewer did not dislike the controls. So the problem is not the game it is you.
What does being smart have to do with the game’s controls? It is obviously intentional but that doesn’t make it immune to criticism from players. Look what CDProjekt did with Witcher 3, they added in an alternate scheme when people complained that movement wasn’t responsive. Anyway if you were here years ago you’d know both the original Red Dead and Max Payne 3 were criticised here on GAF for their controls.

And I dont trust reviewers these days, they get caught up in the hype. Plenty of games this gen got good reviews only to get picked apart by the community once the dust settled.

Last edited:

Dunki

Just started Chapter 5 and I do not know if I like where this is going. But we will see.

Other note: I do not know but can it be that I can not shoot of arms, legs etc? I mean I never tried it to a dead person on the ground but when I use my shotgun in closer range and aim for the head it never fell off. I just hope they did not censor it like they did in the Last of us MP while saying that this version in Germany is uncensored....

Dunkelgrau

So until chapter 2 or so dead eye has worked automatically, right? After that thing with the train you have manually press R1 for every shot? Seriously?

Wonkytonk

Having a minor problem in the endgame, and I'd like to know if it's just me. Huge spoilers so do NOT try and help if you have not completed the epilogue!

I can't sleep in John's house. When I walk up to the bed it just asks me if I wanna fast travel, and when I try the other side, nothing.

I mean it's a bit weird that you can make a camp in the woods and sleep there, or at a hotel/saloon, but not in your own house, isn't it? Anyone else having the same problem?

When you are stood and it says Fast Travel, hit RB/R1 and it should toggle over onto Bed.

BONDO

Finished the game to include the epilogue's last night... game was simply outstanding.
That being said, I sorta lost interest in the SP now as I don't want to put major time into it. Saving that mindset for RDO

I feel like some of the controls are the way they are to force you into a slower pace of game play. I mean on some level it would feel good to sprint round camp and gallop ahead of the NPCs to the next mission way-point but that's not what this game is going for. sometimes you've got to take it slow RP a bit as the character and in the end if you accept the movement in that way I think it makes it more rewarding and immersive.

Zimmy68

After a week, I can widdle down my main gripe now to travel.
I get the realism they were going for and cinematic view helps a little but...
Looking at the map and dreading the distance is for a side mission (collect debt, wildlife)
then come up with creative ways to fast travel close, ride to the mission, then ride to the nearest coach or train station, then ride to camp.
It would improve my experience immensely if I could select just the camp as a fast travel destination.
Add to the fact that I want to complete the game a little quicker to avoid the inevitable spoilers.

anthraticus

Banned
I got frustrated and shot up the whole of Saint Denis last night. Man, what an incompetent police force they have there. I killed nearly 50 of them and burned a few more with molotovs and they couldn't stop me. Reloaded me save though because I got a $1200 bounty.
Unsurprisingly this tells me the game is too easy when it comes to gunfights and needs to be played on PC with mods. Remove the health regeneration, ect...

Last edited:
god damn free aim shooting is so hard for me. trying boomsticks control method i feel like i can only hit something with deadeye on.

dont like how easy it is to accrue witnesses. was walking by a horse and wagon and for some reason i got a witness to animal cruelty. gotta figure out the wanted system better, didnt know animal cruelty was an issue or what even constitutes for it. all i know is if there's a dead body. get out of dodge ASAP.

at least i've gotten better at managing the "problem". a quick hog tie, gallup to middle of no where and bullet to the head. i am concerned that killing too many NPCs will remove potential future quest givers or store clerks poi etc... is that possible?

Last edited:

Onikaan

Yeah there is definitely something off about the shooting I cannot work out. I really need to dig into the controls. I find myself using dead eye all the time. I see there's a bloom mechanic and occasionally Arthur will sway when trying to hit something at a distance.

just read about that major Uncle bug in chapter 2. eeeesh! gotta check my game tonight. i know i saw the marstons recently in camp, but come to think about it i dont think ive seen sadie in....ever.

get that patch out RDR2 team!

Last edited:

v0mitg0d

So I found something really...interesting, weird and cool tucked away in the world. It's a hidden puzzle room. It's REALLY freak'n cool!! Click at your own discretion!

WaterAstro

just read about that major Uncle bug in chapter 2. eeeesh! gotta check my game tonight. i know i saw the marstons recently in camp, but come to think about it i dont think ive seen sadie in....ever.

get that patch out RDR2 team!
Huh... I didn't do that quest yet and Sadie is gone already. Heck, I didn't do any major quests and she was there before.

Edit: nm she was just sleeping early or something.

Last edited:
So until chapter 2 or so dead eye has worked automatically, right? After that thing with the train you have manually press R1 for every shot? Seriously?
It might not seem obvious now but that's an upgrade. It's slower but you don't accidentally waste shots on non-critical parts. In the case of legendary animals you can also tag the same part over and over. There's also a later upgrade that doesn't end dead eye when you fire so you can keep tagging and firing without leaving dead eye.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
In the case of legendary animals you can also tag the same part over and over.

I was on a mission with one of my gang members, and we were on the run from some thugs. I rode my horse up to one of the guys and dead eye'd his head with all 6 shots from my revolver lol. The gang buddy said something like "holy cow arthur", it might have been just coincidental but it very much seemed like he was commenting on the brutality lol

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I just started Chapter 3. Will the story ever pick up, or should I expect a similar pace for the remainder of the game?

Oh yeah. It'll throw you a curveball eventually and you'll never know what it will do next.

I am enjoy it myself. I'm almost finished with Chapter V. I'm curious to where I'm at in terms of finishing it. But I don't want to spoil anything and feel like I rushed it.

I love that feeling when I'm about to get a head shot and I shoot off their hat instead. :messenger_grinning_squinting:

BONDO

Oh yeah. It'll throw you a curveball eventually and you'll never know what it will do next.

I am enjoy it myself. I'm almost finished with Chapter V. I'm curious to where I'm at in terms of finishing it. But I don't want to spoil anything and feel like I rushed it.

I love that feeling when I'm about to get a head shot and I shoot off their hat instead. :messenger_grinning_squinting:

You still have a good bit left.

Brizzo24

Question about Dead Eye...

I am SUPER early into the game (5 hours?), and at this point when I enter Dead Eye the game automatically marks targets with red X's. I don't have control over what I want to "paint" and the game sorta dictates things when my reticle hovers over shootable flesh.

I played Red Dead Redemption and I remember the Dead Eye being upgraded as you got through missions. Question is do I have the option to turn off auto-paint at this point, or as Dead Eye progresses I can mark my targets with my own X? At which point does it change?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Question about Dead Eye...

I am SUPER early into the game (5 hours?), and at this point when I enter Dead Eye the game automatically marks targets with red X's. I don't have control over what I want to "paint" and the game sorta dictates things when my reticle hovers over shootable flesh.

I played Red Dead Redemption and I remember the Dead Eye being upgraded as you got through missions. Question is do I have the option to turn off auto-paint at this point, or as Dead Eye progresses I can mark my targets with my own X? At which point does it change?

Yes you can!

How to level up Dead Eye
The thing to remember is that Dead Eye targeting levels up automatically as you progress through the main storyline.

Level 1: This is start of Dead Eye, which you earn during Chapter 1‘s Old Friends mission. It allows you to slow down time and drag the red X target across an enemy. It auto targets the enemy for you and can be frustrating, as it doesn’t offer the precision you want. Be quick with your aiming though, and you can tag multiple enemies.

Level 2: This is where Dead Eye gets really useful. You can now manually tag a shot on an enemy by tapping the right bumper (R1/RB). Tag multiple enemies or just one unfortunate guy with six shots from your revolver and pull the trigger for spectacular results. This unlocks during Chapter 2 and the Pouring Forth Oil mission.

Level 3: This seems like an incremental upgrade but is more useful that it sounds. You can now stay in Dead Eye mode after you’ve fired shots, allowing you to pick off another target you may have missed, or just tag another bullet on an enemy as they go down. Unlocks during Banking, the Old American Art in Chapter 4.

Level 4: You’ll need to reach Chapter 5‘s Fleeting Joy mission to unlock this level of Dead Eye, but you can now see the highlighted head and hearts of enemies. Hit these and you’ll perform one-shot kills. This is when Dead Eye becomes really useful for hunting animals as it allows you to get a clean kill and harvest the best pelts.

Level 5: As well as the head and heart you can now target lungs and stomach, specifically. You’ll be getting a lot more one-shot kills and they become a lot easier. This is also a perfect upgrade if you’re hunting the biggest Legendary Animals in Red Dead Redemption 2. A shot to the lungs may not kill a bison instantly, but it will slow it down and you can track it much more easily. This unlocks at Chapter 6, during the mission Goodbye, Dear Friend.

Last edited:

MastAndo

Gold Member
Can I ask how I'm expected to contort my hand when the mission calls for lasso-ing someone during a high-speed horse chase (i.e. use right-stick and keep my horse's speed up at the same time)? Claw grip? Dead Eye kind of eliminates the need for needing to use both at once when shooting, but lasso-ing was pretty ridiculous...or wait, can I use Dead Eye to lasso? I forgot to try that, lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom