• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption II |OT| Who knew horse testicles had such a crunch?

Brizzo24

Can I ask how I'm expected to contort my hand when the mission calls for lasso-ing someone during a high-speed horse chase (i.e. use right-stick and keep my horse's speed up at the same time)? Claw grip? Dead Eye kind of eliminates the need for needing to use both at once when shooting, but lasso-ing was pretty ridiculous...or wait, can I use Dead Eye to lasso? I forgot to try that, lol.

Yep, Dead Eye to lasso! Wait till you're close enough (reticle will turn red) then click in the right analog and lasso it up!

BONDO

Can I ask how I'm expected to contort my hand when the mission calls for lasso-ing someone during a high-speed horse chase (i.e. use right-stick and keep my horse's speed up at the same time)? Claw grip? Dead Eye kind of eliminates the need for needing to use both at once when shooting, but lasso-ing was pretty ridiculous...or wait, can I use Dead Eye to lasso? I forgot to try that, lol.

I usually speed up to the point that if I let go of the horse (X) I am still within a distance that I can toss the lasso. I eyeball that distance though.....you don't need to be on the leading horses ass either.

Last edited:
This game just chews up time. It’s not meant to be an I’ll play it 10 mins before lunch kind of game. It seems the longer I play it the more I want to continue playing it.

Had so much crazy stuff happen today. I’m near the end of chapter 3 (I think as there’s only one mission left on the map) but I just decided to ignore it and do my own thing and damn, there is so much content that a person can miss if they just run from mission to mission. I’m floored over some of the random(?) stuff I run into.

The more I keep putting into this, the more it seems to give me back. It’s absolutely amazing to me.

I think we're in the same spot cause I noticed last night after a
bank
mission, I had one more main story from camp on my map, I figured it must be close to the start of chapter 4. Last night I fired up my PSVR, obviously this game isn't VR compatible, the resolution takes a dip too but if you'd like to try a few missions on a screen the size of the movie theatre from the comfort of your couch, I strongly recommend atleast trying it out. Theres nothing like sitting around the campfire, looking up into the night sky, full of stars on your own movie theatre sized screen.

Last edited:

Dethavin

Neo Member
Greetings All!

So I just wanted to post here that for the first time in over 10 years I have finally bought a console! I have always been a PC Gamer but with more and more great titles coming to console and the fact that I am slowly getting tired of spending thousands of dollars every couple of years to keep upgrading my PC. Now the choice of which console PS4 Pro/Xbox One X was pretty damn hard as we all know PS4 is home of the best Exclusives while the X is king for Hardware atm. What finally sealed it for me was watching all the comparison videos of RDR2... The game is simply beautiful on the X.

Now I must say that after spending some time with RDR2 I am left very very conflicted.... First the game itself is as I stated previously is just beyond beautiful, the voice acting is some of the best I have seen/heard in a very long time and the depth/attention to detail is just pure crazy. Now the thing's that seriously make no sense to me.... The controls... I must admit that it's been a very long time since I owned a proper console but was the person/people who came up with the controls for the game high? Because it has been nothing but a pure pain in the ass to do nearly everything in the game... Having to constantly mash A or keep tapping A to get up too or hold speed on a horse is a chore in itself. Interacting with the world around you while on the horse is pure nightmare fuel as well because you are constantly having to contort your hand in strange ass way to greet or talk to people while you are moving on a horse or as someone earlier in the thread said lassoing someone is just silly as well.

A number of other things also seem very strange or just thought out poorly... such as fast travel or auto running to someplace.... I really do not understand them forcing you to run back to camp to use a map at your tent to fast travel every single time and auto running? It works about half the time.... and the other half I ended up somewhere in the mountains looking at snow or somewhere else instead of being anywhere near where I was supposed to be... Now I have learned that if you managed to slightly mess up a early mission in the game then a number of people will poof from your camp causing you to loose out on storyline which after reading that article today I realized happen to me because after I played that mission I had a number of missions just poof from my camp after that. Now I am going to have to restart my game which I don't mind doing but I am now at the point where I kind of want to wait for a number of big updates before I dive back into it..... That intro is a beast and takes a while. Also the default shooting is incredibly poor.... Thank god for youtube and people posting videos on how to streamline shooting via the settings.

All in all I am still super stoked to have finally dipped my toe in the console game and while spending nearly 700 dollars on a Xbox One X, a single game and the warranty was a very very hard pill to swallow I can say I am still beyond happy with my purchase as even though my time with RDR2 is on hold, that Game Pass is just beyond awesome! I was seriously unaware that Game Pass was a thing and it blew my mind at all the games you get with it. So I have more then enough things to keep me occupied while RDR2 hopefully gets straightened out in the near future.... Until then Forza Horizen 4 has been like crack cocain and it was free to boot! lol.

Apologies for the long post! I am just super excited to finally have a console :)

Hey guys, im about 10 hours in, and this been bothering me the entire 10 hours of play. Is there anyway to see how many of each Animal you killed, how many of each flower you picked, ect??? This was a feature in RDR1 that really made it special for me and a big reason i fell in love with the game. Am i missing something or did RockStar just simply take it out? Thx

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
Klecuck and Walker did hilarious write ups on Waypoint. Not gonna post a link, but they’re there if you want something funny to read while taking a nice big fat shit.

ebevan91

Hey guys, im about 10 hours in, and this been bothering me the entire 10 hours of play. Is there anyway to see how many of each Animal you killed, how many of each flower you picked, ect??? This was a feature in RDR1 that really made it special for me and a big reason i fell in love with the game. Am i missing something or did RockStar just simply take it out? Thx

Compendium

Kagey K

Banned
I think we're in the same spot.

Yeah that’s where I was when I posted that. Now I’m partway through chapter 4.

Just robbed the poker game on the boat

But I’m still mostly just messing around with the open world and seeing what new things I can find.

Just had a second race against the horse guy.

He shot it in the head when he lost this time.

I was hoping to beat the game just before Red Dead Online comes out but I’m not sure if I’m going to be able to do it.

Game says I’m 51.1 complete so far. Xbox says I’m 1 day 10 hours and 59 minutes played.

TimFL

Just started Chapter 5 and I do not know if I like where this is going. But we will see.

Other note: I do not know but can it be that I can not shoot of arms, legs etc? I mean I never tried it to a dead person on the ground but when I use my shotgun in closer range and aim for the head it never fell off. I just hope they did not censor it like they did in the Last of us MP while saying that this version in Germany is uncensored....
I own the german PS store version, you can most definitely dismember NPCs. I blew a guys head off with a shotgun, another lost their leg after an explosion. It probably takes quite a bit of force.

Anyone know where all the race NPCs spawn and what the rewards are?

Cumberland Falls to Diablo Ridge - bonus bonding when spurring
somewhere in Grizzlies East to Calumet Ravine - if there was a reward, I didn't see it
somewhere in Lemoyne (?) - horse speed boost (permanent?)

Kagey K

Banned
Anyone know where all the race NPCs spawn and what the rewards are?

Cumberland Falls to Diablo Ridge - bonus bonding when spurring
somewhere in Grizzlies East to Calumet Ravine - if there was a reward, I didn't see it
somewhere in Lemoyne (?) - horse speed boost (permanent?)

I met him close to where I met him the first time.(East of Valenitne) We ended the race at Diablos Bridge. He game me 20% speed boost. Last time he gave me 15% bonding.

Bullet Club

qgbElRd.jpg

Greetings All!

So I just wanted to post here that for the first time in over 10 years I have finally bought a console! I have always been a PC Gamer but with more and more great titles coming to console and the fact that I am slowly getting tired of spending thousands of dollars every couple of years to keep upgrading my PC. Now the choice of which console PS4 Pro/Xbox One X was pretty damn hard as we all know PS4 is home of the best Exclusives while the X is king for Hardware atm. What finally sealed it for me was watching all the comparison videos of RDR2... The game is simply beautiful on the X.

Now I must say that after spending some time with RDR2 I am left very very conflicted.... First the game itself is as I stated previously is just beyond beautiful, the voice acting is some of the best I have seen/heard in a very long time and the depth/attention to detail is just pure crazy. Now the thing's that seriously make no sense to me.... The controls... I must admit that it's been a very long time since I owned a proper console but was the person/people who came up with the controls for the game high? Because it has been nothing but a pure pain in the ass to do nearly everything in the game... Having to constantly mash A or keep tapping A to get up too or hold speed on a horse is a chore in itself. Interacting with the world around you while on the horse is pure nightmare fuel as well because you are constantly having to contort your hand in strange ass way to greet or talk to people while you are moving on a horse or as someone earlier in the thread said lassoing someone is just silly as well.

A number of other things also seem very strange or just thought out poorly... such as fast travel or auto running to someplace.... I really do not understand them forcing you to run back to camp to use a map at your tent to fast travel every single time and auto running? It works about half the time.... and the other half I ended up somewhere in the mountains looking at snow or somewhere else instead of being anywhere near where I was supposed to be... Now I have learned that if you managed to slightly mess up a early mission in the game then a number of people will poof from your camp causing you to loose out on storyline which after reading that article today I realized happen to me because after I played that mission I had a number of missions just poof from my camp after that. Now I am going to have to restart my game which I don't mind doing but I am now at the point where I kind of want to wait for a number of big updates before I dive back into it..... That intro is a beast and takes a while. Also the default shooting is incredibly poor.... Thank god for youtube and people posting videos on how to streamline shooting via the settings.

All in all I am still super stoked to have finally dipped my toe in the console game and while spending nearly 700 dollars on a Xbox One X, a single game and the warranty was a very very hard pill to swallow I can say I am still beyond happy with my purchase as even though my time with RDR2 is on hold, that Game Pass is just beyond awesome! I was seriously unaware that Game Pass was a thing and it blew my mind at all the games you get with it. So I have more then enough things to keep me occupied while RDR2 hopefully gets straightened out in the near future.... Until then Forza Horizen 4 has been like crack cocain and it was free to boot! lol.

Apologies for the long post! I am just super excited to finally have a console :)

Enjoy sir! You've made the right move/choice...now how silent is this work of art? Still amazes me every time I fire anything up and it crushes gms with performance with no sweat.

Inuteu

Is it possible in anyway, to save the hats you get from random dead people?

there are so many cool ones that you cant buy

Last edited:
That epilogue just drags the whole game down....should of just
left it on the mountain...or the cave depending on your ending

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally finished the game and got credits.

My thoughts:
The actual end to Arthur's story arc was amazing 10/10

The epilogue stuff that came after was mediocre at best! It felt like a practically different game made by a B teir studio. I wonder what happened here. Also the voice actress for Sadie is not great. Her accent is really forced and like a cartoon character. And its partly why the epilogue is weak.

Anyway the main story with Arthur was so good I can't really complain.

Man the part where they killed my horse made me shed a manly tear or two! I was not ready for that! I stuck with the same war horse for the entire game so I was really attached to her. Named her "Stormy Daniels" btw. Whispering "Thank You" in her ear after she went down... oh the feels!

Arthurs death was really sad but beautiful in a way. It really should have ended there with credits! Man the epilogue was weak sauce!

Last edited:

pr0cs

So I just wanted to post here that for the first time in over 10 years I have finally bought a console! I have always been a PC Gamer but with more and more great titles coming to console and the fact that I am slowly getting tired of spending thousands of dollars every couple of years to keep upgrading my PC. Now the choice of which console PS4 Pro/Xbox One X was pretty damn hard
Sort of the same boat, though I did already have a ps4 and oneS. I still bought an X because I wanted a good showcase for my ht and rdr2 looks amazing in 4k.

Shame hdr is so broken but crossing fingers they patch in real hdr.

lefty1117

Gold Member
The epilogue was fan service, plain and simple. If you don't like it, no need to continue on with it, but there are plenty of easter eggs and call backs to the original game there. And I suspect it plants some seeds for RDR Online. I think in many ways it parallels RDR, when
John finishes his work for the feds and is able to spend some down time with the family
. I just look at it as fan service.

It's a funny thing about open world games, for me when the main story is complete but you can still roam around the world, it actually feels kind of depressing. Like there's no driving force any more, no purpose, only existence. I'm going to start a second playthrough and make some different decisions especially on the Honor activities.

Psykodad

Banned
The epilogue was fan service, plain and simple. If you don't like it, no need to continue on with it, but there are plenty of easter eggs and call backs to the original game there. And I suspect it plants some seeds for RDR Online. I think in many ways it parallels RDR, when
John finishes his work for the feds and is able to spend some down time with the family
. I just look at it as fan service.

It's a funny thing about open world games, for me when the main story is complete but you can still roam around the world, it actually feels kind of depressing. Like there's no driving force any more, no purpose, only existence. I'm going to start a second playthrough and make some different decisions especially on the Honor activities.
Without spoiling too much:
Is the epilogue
just post-game free-roaming, but you play as John instead of Arthur?

If so, that's kinda lame...

lefty1117

Gold Member
Without spoiling too much:
Is the epilogue
just post-game free-roaming, but you play as John instead of Arthur?

If so, that's kinda lame...

there are two epilogue chapters that you play as John in, a few years after the main story ends. you have arthur's satchel, therefore his journal, letters, etc, so you can continue to complete all of the side missions that maybe you didn't get to, and there is a storyline around John, his family, how Beecher's Hope (his homestead in RDR) comes to fruition, and a lose end or two from Arthur's story. Probably another oh 4 - 6 hours of story content, not including the side activities. They were detailed enough to update the side quests so that the characters react to you as John, even if you were halfway completing the side storylines. But that's Rockstar - known for attention to detail IMO.

Psykodad

Banned
there are two epilogue chapters that you play as John in, a few years after the main story ends. you have arthur's satchel, therefore his journal, letters, etc, so you can continue to complete all of the side missions that maybe you didn't get to, and there is a storyline around John, his family, how Beecher's Hope (his homestead in RDR) comes to fruition, and a lose end or two from Arthur's story. Probably another oh 4 - 6 hours of story content, not including the side activities. They were detailed enough to update the side quests so that the characters react to you as John, even if you were halfway completing the side storylines. But that's Rockstar - known for attention to detail IMO.
So, basically, the game ends when you complete those few hours with John? Or maybe even when Arthur dies?

If so, I think I'm ready for RDR Online.

I'm currently at the mission where John has to "buy" a new house while Uncle and Charles are cleaning the broken down house.
How far off would you say I'm at, from completing the second epilogue?

Quick question I had without any spoilers....There seems to of been a mission I missed in chapter 5. What I'm wondering is if there's a way to replay missed missions after completing the game? Or can you just replay missions that you have already played?

Wonkytonk

So, basically, the game ends when you complete those few hours with John? Or maybe even when Arthur dies?

I'm currently at the mission where John has to "buy" a new house while Uncle and Charles are cleaning the broken down house.

Carry on!!

MastAndo

Gold Member
So, somehow I completed Chapter 4 while missing two of the main story missions - it's saying 12 out of 14 on the Rockstar page, with two blank spaces. Weird...

Zewp

Came across a random town in the swamps with lots of hillbilly looking people. One guy gave me sass so I antagonised him into a fist fight. Then the entire town came down on me and I punched out another guy. Next thing I know, they all start shooting at me. So I massacred their town. All in all it must have been about 30 - 40 people.

In other news, my honour took a massive plunge. No idea why. ;)

I live for the emergent gameplay in this game.

Vaev

Came across a random town in the swamps with lots of hillbilly looking people. One guy gave me sass so I antagonised him into a fist fight. Then the entire town came down on me and I punched out another guy. Next thing I know, they all start shooting at me. So I massacred their town. All in all it must have been about 30 - 40 people.

Must be those damned Murfree Broods, I killed one that had huge goiters all over his body. Shit was nasty

so this is my question regarding this scenario which prevents me from doing similar.

killing those 30-40 folks you must now miss out on certain quests right? or like you can't buy anything in town since theres no clerks anymore.

is this true to assume? would love to know how the town repopulates/bounces back after some time

Last edited:

lefty1117

Gold Member

You still have quite a bit to go, probably another couple hours of epilogue story content, including a real nice satisfying conclusion. That's all ima say.

lefty1117

Gold Member
You still have quite a bit to go, probably another couple hours of epilogue story content, including a real nice satisfying conclusion. That's all ima say.

PS I'm ready for RDR Online too. Can't wait. Think it's gonna be awesome. I hope some of the characters from story will be online quest givers like Lamar in GTA V.

Zewp

so this is my question regarding this scenario which prevents me from doing similar.

killing those 30-40 folks you must now miss out on certain quests right? or like you can't buy anything in town since theres no clerks anymore.

is this true to assume? would love to know how the town repopulates/bounces back after some time

I don't think it really counts as a proper town (the name was Butcher's Creek). It didn't have anything in it so I assume it was just there to decorate the countryside.

I'm a little worried about going on a massacre in the big towns for the reasons you stated. I tackled the wagon fence by accident once and he just started walking into the countryside. I was worried I might have screwed up that source of income, so I reloaded. That said, I read a post by someone who said they shot a shopkeeper in the head and he later came back with a bandage on his head. I can't remember if it was here or on Reddit.

lefty1117

Gold Member
So, I got to the credits. Now it's just free-roaming as John?
Kinda lame, tbh.

That's right, you can do side quests if you have any remaining, or the hunting and other tasks (tap left on D-pad), or just roam around the world and cause mayhem.

I'm like you in that once the story stuff ends, I don't tend to just hang out in the open world. I need a driving narrative or purpose to keep going, otherwise it just seems pointless. I'm looking forward to RDR Online, meanwhile I started another play through of the story.

Quick question I had without any spoilers....There seems to of been a mission I missed in chapter 5. What I'm wondering is if there's a way to replay missed missions after completing the game? Or can you just replay missions that you have already played?

There is unfortunately no way. There are a bunch of missable missions if you go too fast I found. And you cannot get 100% completion without them.

So now that I beat the game I need to start over from the start and use a guide if I want to bother 100% ing it. :messenger_downcast_sweat:

See here for missable missions and missable guns and items as well.

https://www.trueachievements.com/a262344/best-in-the-west-achievement

I really hate missable achievements or trophies. Especially in a 60hr game like this.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Wow, this guy's comics are never funny. What is the joke here? He's just referencing the meme without actually using it to make a point right?

I think the joke is how quickly people drop their starting horse (companion) for a better one (the Arabian).

Last edited:
There is unfortunately no way. There are a bunch of missable missions if you go too fast I found. And you cannot get 100% completion without them.

So now that I beat the game I need to start over from the start and use a guide if I want to bother 100% ing it. :messenger_downcast_sweat:

See here for missable missions and missable guns and items as well.

https://www.trueachievements.com/a262344/best-in-the-west-achievement

I really hate missable achievements or trophies. Especially in a 60hr game like this.

Yikes. I missed out on two missions. What a wierd way of setting up a game.

The game was too long I felt even before the epilogue. Very samey missions. But Guarma felt very rushed which is a same as it was a pretty awesome twist.

I thought Sean MacGuire was the snitch for a while. But really in the end Micah was such a predictable reveal.

Once Hosea died that was the point the gang went to shit in my opinion.

Special mention for the date with Mary at the theater during Chapter 5. The heckles are so funny especially during the fire breathing woman '...Catch On Fire!' :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I wish Arthur and Lenny went drinking in St Denis after that classic Valentine session, Arthur even asks him during Chapter 5 at the mansion camp to but he refuses.......LENNY!

But despite the many glitches this game is very special to me. :messenger_heart:

Last edited:
PS I'm ready for RDR Online too. Can't wait. Think it's gonna be awesome. I hope some of the characters from story will be online quest givers like Lamar in GTA V.
Seamus, at the very least, I think is a shoe-in for its Simean equievelent haha. The name, bald hairline, and even harkwish nose even remind me a bit of him ;p But, god, I hope he doesn't spam my post office box with 'bring me an oil wagon and a stage coach!', 'bring me a lumber wagon!'.

I'm actually balancing some of my grinding or 'completion' tasks or challenges because I don't want to burnout on shit I'm sure will be a huge part of the day-to-day RDR Online experience.

I'm also pretty excited to see how it better takes advantage of the world, and namely a lot of industry, commercial, etc locations.

If you go back to GTA5, so much of the world was unused... and yet after 5 years, GTAO really brought the GTA5 map alive in ways the original SP game couldn't simply because places like Lombank and Del Perro; the entire downtown core with Arcadius Business Center, the Tinkle building, etc; quite a large part of East LS with all the different warehouses and businesses; places west Sandy Shores. A lot of the places were merely shells in the SP game and became gameplay hubs or 'locales' thanks to all the different business types you could run.

Grind aside... there are some pretty cool industrial locations in Annesburg or St. Denis., or smaller operations like logging camps, plantations, small distilleries, etc that I haven't really had much gameplay reason to visit, but would be really cool to serve as a business 'hub.'

That, and I wanna have a persistent camp or little shack up in the Grizzlies and just spend all my time hunting and fishing haha.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
That's right, you can do side quests if you have any remaining, or the hunting and other tasks (tap left on D-pad), or just roam around the world and cause mayhem.

I'm like you in that once the story stuff ends, I don't tend to just hang out in the open world. I need a driving narrative or purpose to keep going, otherwise it just seems pointless. I'm looking forward to RDR Online, meanwhile I started another play through of the story.
Same. Hope they hurry up with Online, cause I'm done with the game until then.

Inuteu

I was trying to get the wild white arabian horse yesterday

but it ran away and I cant find anymore

reloaded the game and the horse is not there anymore

how many days until it respawns and I can try again?

Inuteu

I need a perfect panther skin. I found one panther but after shooting it full of holes as I ran for my life it was not perfect lol.

panter skin makes the best horse saddle in the game

I think you got to use bait and one shot it in the head with a sniper rifle when still

amigastar

Just received my Copy of RDR 2 today. Played already a bit. Game is great, mindblowingly so to be precise. How they nailed these Horse animations in the snow. I just wish i hadn't watched the game on youtube, ruined the surprise for me ( i watched into chapter 2).

Last edited:
Top Bottom