• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption II |OT| Who knew horse testicles had such a crunch?

HotPocket69

Banned
Hit the first epilogue last night. Game is a fucking masterpiece.

Almost convinced myself to pick up Creed Odyssey to soften the blow of how bad its going to suck when the game finally ends

Creed Odyssey? After playing this?

590.gif

Fuck maybe I'll just start it all over again

Last edited:
I was pissed when I hopped on a train and started killing people, and a bounty came up. I mean, shouldn’t there only be a bounty if the train stops, people get off, and get to a town? I just sort of feel like it discourages train robberies, which, when they happen dynamically, are some of the coolest parts of the game.

agreed the wanted/witness system is VERY sensitive and overly in favor of the game (its as obvious as Mario Karts rubber banding and blue shells, which, to me, is bad design/gameplay system, as it should appear fair and subtle even if its not behind the scenes). kinda discourages you from doing much bad stuff, but i guess it just makes it that much sweeter when you pull off a successful robbery etc. keeps the economy in check and you down the righteous path.

so far any time actual lawmen get to me i die within seconds. i think what also makes it difficult is that most of the ways that can help you when wanted or about to be... are associated with you horse ( speed to get away, speed to catch up to witness, guns on horse, change of outfits etc) and youre more likely than not to commit crimes off/away from your horse. so you get really screwed without your horse nearby. even when whistling it takes awhile for your horse to summon to be helpful really during those moments.

frustrating moment last night: saw a similar horse as mine in town, jumped on without thinking/checking the map and unintentionally stole it, tried to return the horse but got shot down immediately.. theres just so many little god damn issues like that that just keep poking at me through the playthrough. overall the game shines, but it's beginning to feel like death by 1000 papercuts.

Last edited:

v0mitg0d

Ook so lots of people have kindly praised my Camp Basics/Pearson guides, so I threw everything into a single video. I tried to pack as much basic info into an easy to understand guide. Hope this helps!

Nymphae

Banned
The up close kills are fucking awesome. Had no idea you could even do that. I was doing one of the homestead robberies, and stormed a shack to take out one of the remaining guys taking shots at me from inside, once I got in I turned around and just started hammering fire, and Arthur was close enough that he pushed the guy to the wall and stuck the gun barrel under his chin and fired. Sick.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The up close kills are fucking awesome. Had no idea you could even do that. I was doing one of the homestead robberies, and stormed a shack to take out one of the remaining guys taking shots at me from inside, once I got in I turned around and just started hammering fire, and Arthur was close enough that he pushed the guy to the wall and stuck the gun barrel under his chin and fired. Sick.

The tackle ones are really cool as well, especially with a shotgun.

Almost convinced myself to pick up Creed Odyssey to soften the blow of how bad its going to suck when the game finally ends

590.gif

This is the only game I've ever played where I've wanted to replay it straight away. I'm going to make a new save game at each chapter though so I can experience the camp atmosphere during different times of the game when I want.

I miss the camp during the Chapter 3 era the most :(

Last edited:

Woodchipper

Someone help please? I'm trying to come by special baits for fishing legendaey fish, but the bait shop is locked. What am I doing wrong? I've completed the story and talked to Gill and everything.

gimz

Already stopped playing after I stuck at chapter 3 for almost a week, not that because there were any bugs, but I was too lazy to do the missions. I was always just wandering around the world, and started looking for treasures and having fun pushing people off the cliff.

Ook so lots of people have kindly praised my Camp Basics/Pearson guides, so I threw everything into a single video. I tried to pack as much basic info into an easy to understand guide. Hope this helps!

That's asinine that you have to back out of Pearson's craft menu to first donate the item from the donate menu just to go back to the craft menu for crafting... Why are they completely separate when the only reason to donate to him is for crafting... Like.. my mind is full of fuck. Something so simple and they still found a way to make it stupid for no perceivable reason.

How and why is there so many unintuitive and clumsy UI layouts in this game? Why are a couple of them immersive and built into the world and the rest a bunch of floating menus.... Did they throw UI together in the last couple of months? I don't understand.

The guides are much appreciated though, vomitgod. Thanks dude.

Nymphae

Banned
So I tried this with remote play tonight. Not advisable lol. L2 and R2 are pressed with the touch screen bottom corners, and L3 and R3 are on the back touch pad. And you thought the game was hard to control before!

Why are they completely separate when the only reason to donate to him is for crafting...

That's wrong though. You can donate stuff that goes straight to the camp funds similar to how you can donate valuables to the tithe box. Donating perfect carcasses to Pearson also guarantees that next day's stew gives a fortified health core (and dead eye core if you have the upgrade). Or just donate food to bring up the provisions for better morale. And lastly donating gives honor. It's a clunky UI still.

So I tried this with remote play tonight. Not advisable lol. L2 and R2 are pressed with the touch screen bottom corners, and L3 and R3 are on the back touch pad. And you thought the game was hard to control before!
You also need the triggers for dead eye draws. Vita's back touch is just plain on-off state. It will be like that time I used a PS1 controller on my PS2 and kept wondering why Snake was straight up splitting throats. No analog buttons.

Psykodad

Banned
Man, what's taking so long for the Online beta to start?

Wish R* would give us some indication of how long it will take.

Horns

Can't believe I've only finally been able to pass the halfway mark. This game has so much freaking content.

Been wondering how it would be.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i've pretty much lost interested in this :( hunting is a nightmare. i can't get the stuff needed to upgrade/craft. i've lost track of the story completely. i just can't find any focus or motivation to progress the game.

Sorc3r3r

So, this game is my guilty pleasure.
I buy fewer and fewer games each year and are even less the games I enjoy, but this one is special.
It's is own genre, there is nothing of the old videogames i used to play 30 years ago, it's basically the opposite.
There is no challenge at all, any thinking is superfluous, is slow, even clumsy, imprecise, progression is laughable, quest design is bare bone, repetitive.
Customization is useless, indeed everything you do in this game is useless, i think you can finish the whole game with the 1st pistol.
The game stands on abilty to fool you to be there, in the west, nothing more, it sells you escapism like no other game before.
It's a interactive movie-like experience.
Something like naughty dog has tried to produce, but refined, perfected, daring and shot in a huge open world.
So my guilty pleasure, at my age I can afford to allow myself to be fooled by a game.
But where is R* going from there?
I'm intrigued.

Zimmy68

I agree.
I am torn on side content because, for example hunting.
It is difficult for me to get perfect pelts. I have the right weapon, dead-eye for a head shot, shoot and they always creep away.
I end up firing again and ruining the pelt. The game is very unforgiving with that.
Then I think, why am I bothering with it?
To craft some funny looking clothes?
It doesn't really affect the gameplay one bit.
I will do the legendary animals but I don't feel the need for anything else.

yes, but unfortunately I think you can only see it once equiped

the best is the Panter. Second best is the crocodile saddle. And a lot easier to get

Just started making them. Unfortunately they seem to be like the Nuevo Paraiso saddle and override the other horse equipment slots. They do have better stats than bought saddles but once you factor in the loss of the stirrup bonus, it doesn't seem worth it.

Halo0629

I agree.
It is difficult for me to get perfect pelts. I have the right weapon, dead-eye for a head shot, shoot and they always creep away.
I end up firing again and ruining the pelt. The game is very unforgiving with that.
Yeah just go with the legendary. They are easier to locate and you can unload your rounds on them without ruining the pelt.

Onikaan

Someone help please? I'm trying to come by special baits for fishing legendaey fish, but the bait shop is locked. What am I doing wrong? I've completed the story and talked to Gill and everything.

I acquired a "special lure" for legendary fishing by completing a side quest.

lefty1117

Gold Member
In the online game, doing things like finding those legendary pelts to craft items will be a worthwhile pursuit for many because it will provide differentiation from other players. It will be a prestige thing. Will it improve your gameplay or help you win? Probably not. In the single player game those kind of things don't matter because you're just competing against yourself. I didn't really pursue the pelts or dinosaur bones in the singleplayer game, but if those kind of activities exist Online I'm more likely to give it a try.

I agree.

Don't worry. For 3 buckets of milk and a barrow full of horse shit you can grab one of those funny looking clothes in RDRO.

Inuteu

Just started making them. Unfortunately they seem to be like the Nuevo Paraiso saddle and override the other horse equipment slots. They do have better stats than bought saddles but once you factor in the loss of the stirrup bonus, it doesn't seem worth it.

even with the override, they had better stats overall I think

you can confirm this on wikis

even with the override, they had better stats overall I think

you can confirm this on wikis
You'd get better core drain but lose direct uprades to speed and acceleration. Doesn't seem worth it to me since hay is so cheap and you probably don't even need to feed your horse more than once a day to keep cores up.

zwiggelbig

590.gif

Hehe awesome! Oh man.. After having checked more discussions I really cant find myself anymore in all their complaining about the game being so slow and hating on there being no fast travel. At first I hate it as well but the further I get I just love it. And I'm starting to love the fact that there is no fast travel. Sure it sucks when u have to travel really far but then they have cinametic mode and the horse can auto run for you wich is great. This game being so slow fits so well in this old western game! I absolute love it.

The ONLY thing i hate is the tedious slowness of those wagons lol.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Hehe awesome! Oh man.. After having checked more discussions I really cant find myself anymore in all their complaining about the game being so slow and hating on there being no fast travel. At first I hate it as well but the further I get I just love it. And I'm starting to love the fact that there is no fast travel. Sure it sucks when u have to travel really far but then they have cinametic mode and the horse can auto run for you wich is great. This game being so slow fits so well in this old western game! I absolute love it.

The ONLY thing i hate is the tedious slowness of those wagons lol.

There is a fast travel correct? Via train and your camp upgrades.

Or am I thinking of a different type of FT.

Horns

You can also pay for a carriage in order to fast travel. I think the fast travel only works by predetermined destinations like a specific city. I don't think you can pick a random spot in the woods and fast travel there for example.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You can also pay for a carriage in order to fast travel. I think the fast travel only works by predetermined destinations like a specific city. I don't think you can pick a random spot in the woods and fast travel there for example.

Correct. They are key places, but you get in the general area in which you need to head.

HotPocket69

Banned
You can fast travel by train too which is what I eventually started doing after 60+ hours of constant horse riding. And I don't mean getting on top of a train and surfing it to Strawberry.

Last edited:
You can fast travel by train too which is what I eventually started doing after 60+ hours of constant horse riding. And I don't mean getting on top of a train and surfing it to Strawberry.

I haven't used the train yet, does your horse follow like it does with the carriage or are you stuck on foot or stealing transportation when you get to your destination?

I'm still in Chapter 3 and taking my time at this point. I crammed the first 2 chapters in the first weekend and have slowed way down now. I love the slow pace but it feels crazy when I only get 1 mission done in a 2-3 hour gameplay session.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I haven't used the train yet, does your horse follow like it does with the carriage or are you stuck on foot or stealing transportation when you get to your destination?

I'm still in Chapter 3 and taking my time at this point. I crammed the first 2 chapters in the first weekend and have slowed way down now. I love the slow pace but it feels crazy when I only get 1 mission done in a 2-3 hour gameplay session.

Yes, your horse will be there waiting for you.

Zewp

So what's the deal with boars? It feels like any time I'm not actively looking for them, they're all over the place, squealing away.

When I am looking for them, they're nowhere to be found. Do they only come out at certain times of day or what?

Mista

Banned
Finished the game 2 days ago and working my way towards 100% completion. Currently 92% and got some pain in the ass requirements left

HotPocket69

Banned
Finished the game 2 days ago and working my way towards 100% completion. Currently 92% and got some pain in the ass requirements left

Like what? I love the game to bits and its probably in my top ten of all time already but no way will I 100% it. That's just an exercise in frustration to me.

Mista

Banned
Like what? I love the game to bits and its probably in my top ten of all time already but no way will I 100% it. That's just an exercise in frustration to me.
Finishing all challenges, getting 70 gold medals in mission and some hunting requests. The other collectibles are alright

are there benefits to getting gold in a mission?

side note: experienced a ton of dynamic poo last night. it was quite underwhelming as the graphics on my ps4 just made it look like brown pixel specs waterfalling out. pretty disappointed. at least it left some sort of dark pile i could walk through. don't think ill be able to set up my dream scenario of burying someone in it though or killing someone with it dropping from a high cliff

i've pretty much lost interested in this :( hunting is a nightmare. i can't get the stuff needed to upgrade/craft. i've lost track of the story completely. i just can't find any focus or motivation to progress the game.
I definitely find hunting to be a headache. really dont like that you cant remember what crafting mats you need for pearson without physically writing it down. it's making me just give up on the crafting/hunting aspect, and if i randomly end up having perfect pelts for a random craft recipe then so be it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom