• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption II Trailer #2 released!

That scene with Arthur talking to the guy in the rocks look effectively last gen tier. I don't think GTAV has such low textures and polys.

Agree...The rocks in that scene reminded me of N64 (not kidding), where they would put only like 10 polys per every square foot then smear the hell out of them with over-used Anti Aliasing to blend it all in.

Other then that rock scene, everything else looked beautiful.

Those rocks look better than the ones in the rock scene on the trailer.

That was PC textures but do they?
rrtrailer2_5jys4c.png

And why are you trying too hard to convince everyone the game looks bad? Yes, there are some questionable textures but overall it's one of the best looking 3rd party games this gen.

Alienous

Yeah that would be great. To piggyback off the potential spoiler info..
as John you've escaped the law and left the gang to start a new life with your family. Spending the final hours of the game building your ranch, experience family life,
being a farmer etc as time passes on.

Then a group of men show up on horses. Knock on the door. Marston answers.

"Good morning, Mr. Marston..."

It's Edgar Ross and the law.

Cut to title and credits.

That could be a
great visual callback to the first ending of Red Dead Redemption if framed correctly

Just the thought of it is exciting.

120v

thing with marsden is if he's in it it's probably a minor background role. unless they want to go full time paradox with player agency

and game looks perfectly fine for an open world console game. i think this is a Fallout 4 situation where they simply show the game instead of unveiling it through a bunch of smoke and mirrors

ODDI

Yeah that would be great. To piggyback off the potential spoiler info..
as John you've escaped the law and left the gang to start a new life with your family. Spending the final hours of the game building your ranch, experience family life,
being a farmer etc as time passes on.

Then a group of men show up on horses. Knock on the door. Marston answers.

"Good morning, Mr. Marston..."

It's Edgar Ross and the law.

Cut to title and credits.

Maaaaaaaaaaan I'd love that and I would replay the 1st again.

I would say that Ubi has surpassed Rockstar when it comes to graphics. Origins looks superb and Far Cry 5, also completely open world looks pretty damn good and perhaps better than what we've seen so far of RDR2. Maybe it really is a case of a game releasing much later than planned. It's too early to say yet, let's wait until we play it ourselves.

Rockstar puts more emphasis on things like animation and physics, which take up resources (Euphoria doesnt come cheap afaik). i personally prefer their approach, good physics are much more important than slightly better looking foliage or rock textures.

I wonder if they got Marston's VO actor back. Dude quit and became a farmer or something he finished working on that game or something didnt he?

Sygma

Rockstar puts more emphasis on things like animation and physics, which take up resources (Euphoria doesnt come cheap afaik). i personally prefer their approach, good physics are much more important than slightly better looking foliage or rock textures.

Ubisoft never caught up to GTA V's level of graphics until Watch Dogs 2 tho. a 2013 game ... yeah I think R* are fine

I think I'm gonna dust off my 360 tomorow and start replaying RDR.
The anticipation is getting to me :)

Good idea, do it! I just played and beat it again a few months back, and was very surprised/impressed with how good it still looks for being an 8 year old game on last gen hardware, and i played it on my new 4k HDR 65-incher sitting just 4-5 feet away! :D

I just traded in my One S, but once i get my One X next Month im gonna jump on it again, this trailer has me itching to play it again! Haha

The Argus

Ubisoft never caught up to GTA V's level of graphics until Watch Dogs 2 tho. a 2013 game ... yeah I think R* are fine

And even still, Ubi maps feel a generation behind R*'s. I really tried to like WD2, but it just seemed like a cheap GTAV knock off. Since IV, no open world map has even gotten close to the level of detail and personality that R* creates. Everyone else is just catching up.

Simo

Agree...The rocks in that scene reminded me of N64 (not kidding)

We've gone from ps3 to N64 graphics for comparison. Never change GAF. Lol

I wonder if they got Marston's VO actor back. Dude quit and became a farmer or something he finished working on that game or something didnt he?

He didn't have much luck in Hollywood and RDR was like his last effort. He had nothing but praise for Rockstar and iirc said he would do it again. He just left the industry to raise his family in his hometown but he also did conventions and stuff since. Its not unlikely that if Rockstar called him up to do it again and fly him out to New York or San Diego for a nice paycheck that he would say no. lol

SomTervo

I think I'm gonna dust off my 360 tomorow and start replaying RDR.
The anticipation is getting to me :)

Did this earlier this year after the first trailer and by god does that game hold up well

Where's John Marston? Is he dead? i didn't see him in the trailer at all
RDR1 was set at the end of the wild west, about 1910. There's no way it cab go past that and still be a western.

And I'm guessing you didn't finish the original... Unless you're talking about Jack

So GTAForums guys dug something interesting up. Turns out about a year ago there was a thread on reddit about the leaked map and a user named "reddeadinsider" dropped some info but nobody really believed him so he deleted his account.

Funny thing is digging up his info and well..either he was legit or extremly lucky with the details matching up. Below is his post that I cleaned up a bit and if true, be warned for spoilers...

A link to where some of his comments turned up.

Man, I mean I don't know. The fact he got the main protagonists name right and the idea of the Pinkertons chasing you along with the dialog heard about the gang being chased over 3 states...maybe some of it was true?

That probably explains why some of the trailer characters feel like protagonists, they're more like companions from Mass Effect, more fleshed out.

Ahasverus

AC:Unity uses pre-baked AO, shadows and lighting because it has a static time of day. Let's not compare that to a game with real time day/night cycle.
I don't know who started this but it's not true. Unity has a day/night cycle, it's just not "progressive", but fixed. Its shifts weren't even noticeable.

There would be no problem with more games using Unity's system, there should be less wxcuses and more actions trying to surpass Unity.

How is ac unity a fair comparison btw? No day night cycle, baked lighting, most likely a smaller map with much less environmental variety and foliage. Didnt have intense weather effects or wildlife either. All that this one will run at a higher res with a most likely better framerate on base ps4.
Not to take credit from ac unity, it does look incredible.
But its open world nature is more akin to infamous than it is to gta or rdr.

Duderino

Not sure why the graphics comparisons keep revolving around Ubisoft’s games. They are impressive in their own right, but it does seem a little odd that upcoming open world tittles from EA and Sony have been mentioned far less when they are raising the bar as well.

Maybe it’s the theme differences, the lack of concrete release dates, Ubisoft’s history of open world tittles, or just what is currently taking up the mindshare on NeoGaf. Could also be the setting, but then again the Pacific North West is about as similar to Red Dead’s locals as Montana. (Each are different of course, but a lot closer than say ancient Eygpt.).

For the record I do think this Red Dead trailer looked good. Not mind boggling amazing but still a lot better than GTAV and very competitive with the slate of holiday 2017 open world games, maybe even surpassing them in a few ways. It’s what comes later though that I think may give it more competition. Then again Rockstar has an army of people working on the game and we’ve just seen a tiny slice. I would never doubt their ability to push the limits with their resources.

I don't know who started this but it's not true. Unity has a day/night cycle, it's just not "progressive", but fixed. Its shifts weren't even noticeable.

There would be no problem with more games using Unity's system, there should be less wxcuses and more actions trying to surpass Unity.

Dude! That's exactly what I said, Unity has a fixed day time that changes when the devs decide to change it to accommodate the story. It uses pre-baked AO shadows and lighting for each time of day. Yes there's no problem with that system, inFamous Second Son does it very well too but let's not compare it to real-time day/night cycle lighting.

Wtf lol That makes no sense.
Why not compare it to uncharted or the order 1886 while were at it?
They too have day night cycles, they just dont change before major events and their progression to too slow to be humanly noticeable.
Excuses lmao..

Its so weird people keep harping on about unity but no one mentioned the more appropriate horizon comparison.

Does this have something to do with the game not coming to pc at launch? You never know with gaf.

Coz theres a surprising amount of criticism over a fucking rock when game looks at least somewhere between witcher 3 reveal and witcher 3 release (console) which already makes it one of the best looking open world games ever

Ahasverus

Dude! That's exactly what I said, Unity has a fixed day time that changes when the devs decide to change it to accommodate the story. It uses pre-baked AO shadows and lighting for each time of day. Yes there's no problem with that system, inFamous Second Son does it very well too but let's not compare it to real-time day/night cycle lighting.
The time of the day totally changes in free roam too.

Phreak47

R* and ND are still the only two that seem to care about getting lip sync/speaking animations looking right with the VO (though I still think ND is #1 with this)

Because Unity could run on ps3 ? Unity looks best on pc, not on consoles
I feel like some of y’all aren’t bothering to read the comment I replied to. The dude said Ubisoft didn’t have a game with better graphics than GTA V until WD2 don’t move the goalposts.

Sygma

I feel like some of y'all aren't bothering to read the comment I replied to. The dude said Ubisoft didn't have a game with better graphics than GTA V until WD2 don't move the goalposts.

'k, well I'm still standing on the not until Watch Dogs 2

That being said I'm pretty sure R* will not reach Origins levels of goodness, time will tell

Eliciel

i felt the textures looked a little flat

I feel like the hole game looks a bit underwhelming. I mean imagine it is coming out in Spring 2018...Will they improve on the graphics in comparison?

Right now I feel in the graphics department Witcher III and Horizon Zero Dawn are miles ahead.

Of course the game itself in terms of gameplay and story telling, score etc. will be top notch but I am a little bit underwhelmed by the graphics tbh.

Memento

Wow! Trailer #2 already surpassed the views of Trailer #1 on YouTube even though it's been there for a year.

The hype is real!

No, it didnt.

Trailer 1 has 14 million views. Trailer 2 has 2,4 million views.

Edit: Unless you are talking about the 19 million views one? Because I am 100% sure that one has been running as an ad, that is why the views are so high. So it is unfair.

Did this earlier this year after the first trailer and by god does that game hold up well

RDR1 was set at the end of the wild west, about 1910. There's no way it cab go past that and still be a western.

And I'm guessing you didn't finish the original... Unless you're talking about Jack

Neo-Western ala Hell or High Water/No Country For Old Men

Top Bottom