• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption II Trailer #2 released!

Joeku

I can't get over how much of a relentless asshole Arthur is in this trailer. It's making me laugh more and more every time I watch it.

I'm convinced there will be a major twist to this.

Arthur dies at the end of the first act after being turned on by Dutch and then John Marston replaces him as one of three playable characters :D

Arthur dies at the end of the first act after being turned on by Dutch and then John Marston replaces him as one of three playable characters :D
The only thing that is making me doubt it now is it almost too obvious the more and more I think about it.

Vidpixel

Gotta say, both this and the reveal trailer haven't done much, if anything at all, for me. It's a shame, as I remember when Rockstar trailers were among the best of the best, but with so many games nowadays aiming for and nailing that "cinematic flair" that Rockstar used to pioneer, simply slapping together a hodgepodge of well-acted cutscenes and calling it a day just doesn't cut it anymore. Heck, we still don't even have a solid release date yet.

I'm still excited for this, but everything released so far has rather tempered my expectations a bit, even though I feel like I should be beyond hyped?

Linconan

I'm going to be abit honest and say first i was underwhelmed.
The character to me looks like a supporting role, not a main.
More of a thug, heavy muscle. Not really an appealing character. Falls well short of a John Marston, Clint Eastwood, John Wayne etc..roll model.
Not a main character that you could love playing, and more like a filler and/or someone you'll eventually take out.

Now, imo. I believe (questionable voice over in scene) it might be a Younger John Marston at 33-34 (34-35 depending on which Trailer Upload you watch).
All questionable of course.
Not much to run with imo.

Super pumped for Red Dead Redemption 2!!
Hoping for more elements of gameplay for the genre suited, rather than just a heist direction.

Now i'm just dreading an announcement of a delay and them pushing for Fall 18.

Simo

So GTAForums guys dug something interesting up. Turns out about a year ago there was a thread on reddit about the leaked map and a user named "reddeadinsider" dropped some info but nobody really believed him so he deleted his account.

Funny thing is digging up his info and well..either he was legit or extremly lucky with the details matching up. Below is his post that I cleaned up a bit and if true, be warned for spoilers...
Lets see what I remember...

You play a gang leader named Arthur. The biggest change made to the game is you have a posse. If I remember correctly, the story kind of starts when you find out someone in your outlaw gang is a pinkerton spy. The pinkertons end up having you on the run through most of the game. You acquire lots of members of your gang such as John Marston, Abigail, little Jack, and others. The core mechanic of the game is having to maintain and continuously move your outlaw camp. When you go on a mission you will choose who to take with you, similar to mass effect or dragon age. The game spans five zones. A directive they keep getting is to make the environments more interactive like skyrim. Whatever that means.

*POTENTIAL END GAME STUFF*
There is kind of a game plus like like the last one had. You end up at Beechers Hope and switch control to John Marston. There are then lots of quests etc dealing with building up your ranch. You literally will do x And Z to build a gazebo. I heard someone designed a mini game where you help a mare give birth that had people laughing.

The last I heard, which was a few months ago, the game was kind of stuck in development hell of sorts. Then team kept remaking a vertical slice demo for the leaders of rockstar and they aren't impressed... They didn't find it different enough or innovative enough. Hopefully they got out of that rut.

I've also heard that since gta5 morale at rockstar SD had been bad. Long timers are quitting. Lots of turnover. Lots of frustration.

That's all I can remember off hand.

A link to where some of his comments turned up.

Man, I mean I don't know. The fact he got the main protagonists name right and the idea of the Pinkertons chasing you along with the dialog heard about the gang being chased over 3 states...maybe some of it was true?

Coxy100

Banned
So GTAForums guys dug something interesting up. Turns out about a year ago there was a thread on reddit about the leaked map and a user named "reddeadinsider" dropped some info but nobody really believed him so he deleted his account.

Funny thing is digging up his info and well..either he was legit or extremly lucky with the details matching up. Below is his post that I cleaned up a bit and if true, be warned for spoilers...

Man, I mean I don't know. The fact he got the main protagonists name right and the idea of the Pinkertons chasing you along with the dialog heard about the gang being chased over 3 states...maybe some of it was true?
Thanks for the info - sounds great if true. Especially the spoiler bit

I'm listening...

Did he really get what you were doing? His performance was good, obviously.

Yeah, his performance was very good. He was a very interesting guy to work with because we had to have him in for quite a long time – it was the most time we’ve ever had someone like that around, actually – and in some sessions he was so fired up and he was so into it, but then sometimes it’d be like he was in some kind of a hole, and he was very dark and couldn’t work. He’s a pretty amazing guy, kind of an amazing actor. He’s not been in as many good things as he should have been, I think. He is so good in Goodfellas that he kind of doesn’t need to do anything else, but whatever he’s in he always catches your eye because he’s got something about him, and in the flesh he’s definitely got that about him, too. I think he did get it, to be fair. But he made some comments later on through his agent, something like, “Hey, that game was so big I should have charged them more money”, and I hate that kind of chat. It’s like, be cool. You know? I hate that – it’s so cheesy. Like he’s saying, “Next time I’m really going to pin it to them”. Well, how about we just killed off your character? So he doesn’t exist – there is no next time. That’s how we handle that.

I'm listening...

ray liotta got a specific paycheck for vice city, after the game released and was a huge success, ray liotta mentioned that he would have asked for more if he knew how successful the game was. Sam Houser and his ego didn't like this and then didn't work with ray again.

Similar thing happened with niko bellic's VA

Gryph

This thread taught me that a lot more people on Gaf are familiar with The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford than I would have guessed...

Alienous

Didn’t the voice actor of John Marston say he’s really really retired?
Unless Rockstar pays him a shit ton of money. I see them somehow writing around Marston instead of paying the voice actor again.

I'm speaking from memory but it seemed like voice acting was something he decided not to actively pursue, more than retiring.

There was a mini-doc with him and I wasn't left with the impression that he wouldn't come back if asked.

Alienous

Lets see what I remember...

You play a gang leader named Arthur. The biggest change made to the game is you have a posse. If I remember correctly, the story kind of starts when you find out someone in your outlaw gang is a pinkerton spy. The pinkertons end up having you on the run through most of the game. You acquire lots of members of your gang such as John Marston, Abigail, little Jack, and others. The core mechanic of the game is having to maintain and continuously move your outlaw camp. When you go on a mission you will choose who to take with you, similar to mass effect or dragon age. The game spans five zones. A directive they keep getting is to make the environments more interactive like skyrim. Whatever that means.

*POTENTIAL END GAME STUFF*
There is kind of a game plus like like the last one had. You end up at Beechers Hope and switch control to John Marston. There are then lots of quests etc dealing with building up your ranch. You literally will do x And Z to build a gazebo. I heard someone designed a mini game where you help a mare give birth that had people laughing.

The last I heard, which was a few months ago, the game was kind of stuck in development hell of sorts. Then team kept remaking a vertical slice demo for the leaders of rockstar and they aren't impressed... They didn't find it different enough or innovative enough. Hopefully they got out of that rut.

I've also heard that since gta5 morale at rockstar SD had been bad. Long timers are quitting. Lots of turnover. Lots of frustration.

That's all I can remember off hand.

That does sound really legit. I guess the development hell suggestion could follow from Leslie Benzies no longer being at Rockstar, but but the rest sounds likely given this trailer and hard to guess. Especially 'Arthur', which doesn't seem like the kind of name someone would fabricate.

Interesting.

NateDog

This thread taught me that a lot more people on Gaf are familiar with The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford than I would have guessed...
I remember sitting down to watch this 2 nights before RDR released, nothing could have gotten me more in the mood for the game than that. Funnily enough I got my copy a day early so it ended up being perfect.

I think the trailer was OK. I think some of the environments look great but there is something decidedly off about animations and movement in general general that makes it almost look last gen, at least in that regard. I'm going to get it day one regardless, I can't remember a game I was more excited about or that I kept up with more pre-release than RDR and despite its flaws I had huge love for it and it remains one of my favourite games. But I did expect a much bigger improvement.

The game is looking incredible.
Animation quality, graphics, environment density have been ratcheted up, it's clear the last gen shackles have been dropped.

Arthur looks an ass hole and I love that, so badass and a clear break from anti-hero Marston.

Cannot wait for this.

Gorillaz

because that talking point has been parroted for hours now on every site but there probably are a few fans

but I think you knew this already

120v

my takeaway is this story will be more GTA than RDR1... which is fine, i guess. the original game had a very bespoke story, and i could see them getting in a rut of telling he same one twice, or just flat out aping emotions of the first game.

John has to be in, he was in Dutch's gang so naturally he should be there.

As for Character switching, it was one of the most talked about features in GTAV so I'd expect a more refined version for RDR2. Im excited and can't wait for more info. Even if we don't get to play as John, Arthur looks like a character I can't get behind.

Gurish

That was really disappointing, is this really a Rockstar product? they used to know how to create hype and hype is the last thing I feel after watching this trailer.

I'm very surprised by how underwhelming it felt.

Mediking

Heh... its always that one insider who actually sounds credible and believable...

UrbanRats

That was really disappointing, is this really a Rockstar product? they used to know how to create hype and hype is the last thing I feel after watching this trailer.

Hopefully the eventual Game informer article or gameplay blowout, will reveal some interesting systems or something.

I also feel somewhat underwhelmed.

Exentryk

Don't really care about this series (shooter, cowboy setting), but it is certainly a looker.

PossibleHugeDalmatian.gif

Heh... its always that one insider who actually sounds credible and believable...

Yeah lol. Some guy on Eventhubs leaked the season 2 roster for Street Fighter V like way back in December, but it wasn't until like 2-3 characters from that list were announced that people realized that it was entirely legit.

120v

i'm a little underwhelmed as well but... how many ways is there really to hype up an open world western. in 2010 it was exciting at face value but rather rote in today's world of AAA open world extravaganzas popping up at every corner. regardless of how good the game may be

first game was popular enough R* had to do little else than go "here you go, cowboys, trains, shooting and stabbing shit. Spring 2018"

If there’s character switching I wonder if it’s somehow possible to combo deadeye shots with several characters. Or maybe it’ll just be squad command stuff.

Edit: what would be cool is if you set up multiple deadeye shots / squad commands it then plays out cinematically like kill shots in skyrim / fallout / max payne 3 and you see all members of the gang execute it in sync like when the guy in this gif approaches gunning:

nnhoxxi.gif

TrutaS

I thought the facial animation felt really off. Which is very surprising to me from such a top tier game. The character's look expressive, but the expressions feel exaggerated or uncoordinated with the dialogue somehow.

The environments looks beautiful - but I hope this doesn't feel empty.

How can anyone doubt Rockstar at this point?

GTA V which was both a significant improvement and also a step back or two sadly, but these were the kind of things that made GTA GTA, it certainly took away from it. I don't doubt that this game will be worth it, but i expected something else when it comes to Rockstar trailers.

Also after such a long wait, a drought, a longer, more detailed trailers would have been nice. I don't like trailers that show it all, but man, this really didn't show much at all.

SomTervo

Now, imo. I believe (questionable voice over in scene) it might be a Younger John Marston at 33-34 (34-35 depending on which Trailer Upload you watch).
All questionable of course.
Not much to run with imo.

That's an interesting observation. It's unlikely but it would really give John some nuance if he came from wealth, as it would appear from that man in the trailer.

I'm not particularly interested in musing about what will or won't be in the game, but this:

The core mechanic of the game is having to maintain and continuously move your outlaw camp. When you go on a mission you will choose who to take with you, similar to mass effect or dragon age. The game spans five zones. A directive they keep getting is to make the environments more interactive like skyrim. Whatever that means.

Would be very interesting to me. The only thing R* games miss, IMO, is a mid/high level 'strategy' aspect to their games. Something that keeps you thinking on a structural level. This would sound like a clever way to handle that. Stop the adventure being a solo one and make 'escaping the police' a more long-term mechanic.

It does match up with the trailer, too.

T-0800

ray liotta got a specific paycheck for vice city, after the game released and was a huge success, ray liotta mentioned that he would have asked for more if he knew how successful the game was. Sam Houser and his ego didn't like this and then didn't work with ray again.

Similar thing happened with niko bellic's VA

Sounds more like an ego problem with Sam Houser.

Top Bottom