• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption stories emerge from court documents, including Houser panicking

Quentyn

Brendan Sinclair from Gamesindustry.biz is tweeting details from the lawsuit.

Cf2yFCEWEAIPUqj.jpg

https://twitter.com/BrendanSinclair/status/719927316466561024

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Copy bump.

This is a fun side of the Housers we haven't gotten to see since the GameCube era when they did interviews about things like their Mario Kart fandom.

If anyone finds more, please share.

"I need the Benz"

I did not know that this phrase would make my day, but it did.

This lawsuit business will be interesting, if only to bring some light into the very secretive/quiet way Rockstar conducts their work.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Did Benzies have a big part in GTAV? I assume he did but I thought that game was very weak but RDR is pretty fantastic.

He's the guy that ran Rockstar North and was generally the head on the series along with the Housers.

That's why they wanted him to help on Red Dead, due to his success in helming GTA.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah, what does that mean for Take Two? Could that impact Civilization/X-Com?

For Take-Two? Nothing. They'll pay him his money in a settlement.

The bigger concern is Rockstar managing their games with Leslie Benzies. They'll have to find someone else who can translate Houser into game design, so the next game might take longer than expected to come out.

He's the guy that ran Rockstar North and was generally the head on the series along with the Housers.

That's why they wanted him to help on Red Dead, due to his success in helming GTA.

Oh right, of course. RDR was Rockstar San Diego. Do the Housers still work out of North or are they all over?

Wow, kudos to "The Benz" for taking what appears to be a complete mess and turning it into one of the best games of the last generation within a few months.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Oh right, of course. RDR was Rockstar San Diego. Do the Housers still work out of North or are they all over?

They work out of New York and oversee all of Rockstar's games.

That said, basically all of Rockstar works on one project at a time outside of small teams investigating the future of each franchise, so it's not really separate studios on separate projects anymore.

xRaizen

The bigger concern is Rockstar managing their games with Leslie Benzies. They'll have to find someone else who can translate Houser into game design, so the next game might take longer than expected to come out.
GTA6 for PS6 confirmed? I mean if V took 4 years...

Whompa02

Benz, apply directly to the game development.

Muffdraul

The unauthorized "biography" about GTA and Rockstar was an awesome read. It said that if R* North employees came back from lunch carrying doggy bags from a restaurant Sam Houser didn't like and he happened to spot them, he'd make them throw them in the trash.

I guess that's what I was getting at. If the next GTA/RDR takes longer and gets a less than favorable reception, couldn't that impact Take Two directly and effect other companies downstream like Firaxis? I know I know, just paranoid thinking.

Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc., also known as Take-Two, is an American multinational publisher, developer, and distributor of video games and video game peripherals. Take-Two wholly owns Rockstar Games, Firaxis Games and 2K Games

Just so everyone understands, this statement of fact is from the Complaint filed by Benzies' lawyers, so clearly it is going to be one-sided in favor of Benzies.

I'm not saying Benzies didn't have a lot to do with RDR's success, I'm just saying take these statements with a grain of salt, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

RdN

Leslie Benzies was such a big part of what made Rockstar the phenomenon that it is today.

I really hope they find (of already have, since this seems to have happened almost a year ago) someone ad capable as he was, otherwise I fear the Rockstar games will take even longer to be done, and with a significant quality drop.

Just so everyone understands, this statement of fact is from the Complaint filed by Benzies' lawyers, so clearly it is going to be one-sided in favor of Benzies.

I'm not saying Benzies didn't have a lot to do with RDR's success, I'm just saying take these statements with a grain of salt, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

These statements apparently cite emails, so unless there's fudging, the reality is that Housers did beg Benzies to salvage the project.

I guess that's what I was getting at. If the next GTA/RDR takes longer and gets a less than favorable reception, couldn't that impact Take Two directly and effect other companies downstream like Firaxis? I know I know, just paranoid thinking.

I don't think people really associate GTA with the other 2K properties.

The others are like Civilization and NBA 2K and Bioshock, not exactly bound to the hip of GTA.

It will definitely hit the publishers money banks but don't think the other IPs would be really affected.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

They've been operating at a profit without Rockstar releases for the first time in a long time recently, so they should be generally fine.

They're also large enough that they're not going to have any issues getting capital for projects as small as Firaxis titles.

Ridley327

They work out of New York and oversee all of Rockstar's games.

That said, basically all of Rockstar works on one project at a time outside of small teams investigating the future of each franchise, so it's not really separate studios on separate projects anymore.

Yeah, Max Payne 3 was the first game they put out that was credited to the entire Rockstar banner. I think every studio outside of North had a hand in that game, which started out initially as Rockstar Vancouver on their own.

Even LA Noire had a pretty big Rockstar integration by the time it finished. Leeds helped get it out the door (along with the PC port) and Houser wrote the scripts for the side-missions, which is why they tended to be a bit more on the wacky side compared to the main story.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
What I take from this is at least Houser doesn't think of himself as some infallible designer and recognizes when he needs help or his game is fucked.

Top Bottom