• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dwarf XII

Blue Lou

Red Dwarf XII is to air in October.

Red Dwarf XII is the twelfth series of the legendary comedy, once again written and directed by Doug Naylor and following last year's series XI, voted "Best Comedy of the Year" and "Best Returning Comedy" by British Comedy Guide. The original cast of Chris Barrie (Rimmer), Craig Charles (Lister), Danny John-Jules (Cat) and Robert Llewellyn (Kryten) are back for six brand new episodes recorded in front of a live studio audience at Pinewood Studios.

For the very first time, the rest of the crew discover just how it feels to be Kryten when they're arrested by the Mechanoid Intergalactic Liberation Front. The Dwarfers come across a ship where criticism is illegal, and a space station where the crew have developed a cure for evil. When all the machines on Red Dwarf go on strike Rimmer and Kryten hold a Presidential election, while The Cat faces an identity crisis like never before when he discovers he needs glasses. Lister discovers a simple update of the ship's latest software could be a matter of life or death. Finally, Rimmer decides to leave Red Dwarf in search of a parallel universe where he isn't such a massive loser.

Featuring a whole host of star guests, smart sci-fi and ingenious comedy, Red Dwarf XII returns to Dave exclusively this October.

http://www.reddwarf.co.uk/news/2017/08/18/red-dwarf-xii/

Awesome!

been waiting for the Bluray to go down in price so I can finish watching XI. I liked what I saw of it (though X was better) but I still have the last two eps to see. I'd better hurry

mclem

There's a few fun screenshots on Dave's twitter. The one for (what I assume is) the Mechanoid Intergalactic Liberation Front episode is particularly good.

RangerX

Banned
I thought X and XI were very poor. I hope this is an improvement because it's one of my favourite shows. Everyone just seemed off and Kryten's redesign was truly awful.

I thought X and XI were very poor. I hope this is an improvement because it's one of my favourite shows. Everyone just seemed off and Kryten's redesign was truly awful.

Red Dwarf 12 - So very tired.

I'm a huge red dwarf fan... but it just isn't funny with those guys anymore.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Sweet, I really enjoyed most of the episodes in X and XI (although I *really wish* they could get Rob Grant back on board)

AxeMan

So many good memories watching this growing up. Then it got bad when the crew came back and they got put in prison. I couldn't watch after that

I do adore Red Dwarf 1-7. Series 8 fell off badly though.

I'm not sure if I should potentially tarnish my love by watching 9,10,11. and now 12.

DBT85

Huge huge fan and liked the last 2. Still saved myself from watching back to earth though.

The more the better.

liquidtmd

Banned
X I liked, XI kinda less so but still Ok - a wry smile occasionally rather than anything laugh out loud funny

Will catch this at some point but not essential TV

Trouble is, the best jokes have been glaringly pronounced recycled lesser versions of jokes they already did 20 years ago

The "Mechanoid Intergalactic Liberation Front" named by the same people as the "Committee for the Liberation and Integration of Terrifying Organisms and their Rehabilitation Into Society"?

Santar

Nice to have a date for new episodes, but after XI I don't have high hopes, that was pretty bad unfortunately :(
X wasn't great either but after watching XI it certainly was better than that.
The series just seem like a exaggerated parody of itself now, like they took the crew and dumped them into a standard sitcom, devoid of any real personalities.

If these episodes were actually written and filmed more recently I might have had a little more hope but they were produced at the same time as XI so the quality is probably on the same level.
Still, I always have my fingers crossed for the boys on the dwarf!

I enjoyed the last series, although I found that X and XI had some pretty forgettable episodes. From XI, my favourite is "Give and Take" which felt very much like a series 5 episode. But I also really loved some of the gags in Officer Rimmer, like the barbershop quartet and the pac-man esque radar screen.

My biggest issue with XI is most of the episodes didn't really conclude very well. Red Dwarf has often nailed the endings really well (standouts being Gunmen of the Apocalypse, Polymorph etc) but a lot of XI felt like it ended with a scene missing.

I remember switching off a couple of EPs into S10 because it was just awful. But I really enjoyed S11 it was pretty much a return to form.

Blue Lou

James Buckley (Inbetweeners, White Gold) confirmed to cameo:

DIlkbWLW4AURfqD.jpg

(left)

jstripes

Banned
Back to Earth was terrible and X was so-so, but I enjoyed XI quite a bit, so I'm looking forward to XII.

It's nowhere near the heights of its glory days, but it's still a good time.

Back to Earth was terrible and X was so-so, but I enjoyed XI quite a bit, so I'm looking forward to XII.

It's nowhere near the heights of its glory days, but it's still a good time.

Agreed on all of those. XI was pretty awesome and X had a few good episodes.

Always love my boys from the Dwarf though <3

Neff

Red Dwarf 12 - So very tired.

I'm a huge red dwarf fan... but it just isn't funny with those guys anymore.

I love those guys but the show has been a zombie for longer than it's been in existence. Series VI was as good an end as one could hope for and it's been nothing but a downward spiral since (Cassandra aside, which was alright).

I'd honestly love to see it remade with a new cast, using the material from the novels, but I don't think it's commercial or well-known enough to justify the budget. And the cast would be pretty hard to replace. Where do you find another Chris Barrie?

An amazing show in its time, one of the greatest ever, but every year that passes it feels more like a piece of history.

liquidtmd

Banned
I'd honestly love to see it remade with a new cast, using the material from the novels, but I don't think it's commercial or well-known enough to justify the budget. And the cast would be pretty hard to replace. Where do you find another Chris Barrie?

An amazing show in its time, one of the greatest ever, but every year that passes it feels more like a piece of history.

Yup to all of this.

The non TV parts of the books were great and I think would make for an ace series...unfortunately as much as I love the guys, their prime days are over yet they 'are' their roles, so any reboot / recast I probably couldn't get into.

Its been a while but I remember liking the 'Last Human' book a fair bit

RangerX

Banned
I love those guys but the show has been a zombie for longer than it's been in existence. Series VI was as good an end as one could hope for and it's been nothing but a downward spiral since (Cassandra aside, which was alright).

I absolutely adored the show growing up and still live the first six seasons but yeah sadly what your saying is true. They should have ended it years ago.

xandaca

XI was actually OK, even if obviously a long, long way from Peak Dwarf. Didn't like Back To Earth or X at all, so was pleasantly surprised. Since XII was filmed at the same time as XI, hopefully it'll at least be of similar quality. Office Rimmer and Krysis were both very solid episodes.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I do adore Red Dwarf 1-7. Series 8 fell off badly though.

I'm not sure if I should potentially tarnish my love by watching 9,10,11. and now 12.
IX was a three-part special that was okay, but not required viewing. It had its moments but it's not that special. It also completely ignores VIII and brings back Rimmer as a Hologram and gives them back Red Dwarf without anyone else like the first 7 series. However it takes place mostly on Earth in the early 21st century.
In a reality where Red Dwarf is a TV show that exists and they're the characters in it.
<--Plot spoiler

X was a return to form in every way. Completely goes back to episodic stories and is really really fun. Only 6 episodes. But they're more like the pre-VIII series'. The one about
Jesus
was great. As was the finale.

I haven't watched XI yet but will when XII comes along. I've heard good things. But not much.

Bottom line, you won't tarnish anything if you decide to continue. Even with IX it's not really a big deal. It's more of a single long stand-alone episode that doesn't affect anything at all and leaves absolutely no lasting changes. It was likely made just to show that the cast still cared about the show and test the waters to see if people still wanted them. (Plus it had been 10 years since VIII came out. I remember visiting the reddwarf.co.uk site every day checking in on the progress of "the movie".)

Zips

"- No, we just hosed him down and gave him a hat."

Best thing to come out of the new seasons.

I dream of them reaching the heights of those first few (3-6 mainly) seasons, but that's probably not possible. The show was just never the same after 6. Around when the writer duo split up.

There was a series XI? X was so bad I stopped after the 2nd episode. Rob Grant was the life blood of the show and it's been shown that for a long time now.

mclem

Fond as I am as Norman... I prefer Hattie.

I wonder if there's any possibility that we might see a dual-Holly episode at some point? Indeed, Red Dwarf have occasionally had secret guest appearances...

Top Bottom