• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dwarf XII

tomtom94

Fond as I am as Norman... I prefer Hattie.

I wonder if there's any possibility that we might see a dual-Holly episode at some point? Indeed, Red Dwarf have occasionally had secret guest appearances...

I want this but I can't help but feel if they were going to do that they would have just announced Hayridge anyway especially since Lovett appearing leaked eons ago.

Tizoc

Gonna start writing up the Red Dwarf OT. Since Series XII goes up in about 2 weeks time, would be it OK to have it up in the next couple of days at least so more peopple get interested+catch up?

Dehnus

I need to rewatch this and IT Crowd again.

I loved Red Dwarf but would so love it if they had kept that one around for 3 more seasons and kept Red Dwarf a nice memory.

IT Crowd was Father Ted levels of brilliance :). (Same guys I writing and directing :D).

The disabled toilet scene is hilarious.

Tizoc

I loved Red Dwarf but would so love it if they had kept that one around for 3 more seasons and kept Red Dwarf a nice memory.

IT Crowd was Father Ted levels of brilliance :). (Same guys I writing and directing :D).

The disabled toilet scene is hilarious.

I watched IT Crowd and Father Ted back to back. Great comedies.

Big Red Dwarf fan so can't wait for this. I thought last series was much better than X and more of a return to form, so hopefully it's more of the same for XII.

titch

Is that Hilly's voice in the trailer?

Still think some of the best original stuff was with Holly.

plus the cat was better when he was more cat.

Kryten is ok i guess and has had some good stuff but i dont think he has ever been as good as the original cast.

A knapsack on my back.

I laughed so hard. It still seems to have season XI's difficulty with ending episodes, but all in all a great start to what looks like another strong season.

jstripes

Banned
Watched it, enjoyed it. It still works.

The only other show I can think of where the actors are this dedicated to their characters is Trailer Park Boys.

liquidtmd

Banned
Watched it, solid enough for where it is.

This is weird though...does anyone feel Kryten has really suffered an incredible Flanders-ization? Since X, more pronounced in XI and more tonight.

From 3-8 he seemed to progressively get more and more developed, albeit with still some goofy traits. He felt grounded. Now he just comes across as a complete idiot and something akin to his behaviour in 3.

I mean all the cast have had this in recent years and I get that they wanted to go 'back to basics', but at least the Cat, Lister and Rimmer still feel like kinda the people we've been following from day one. Kryten they almost seem to have reset entirely for me.

No but if you've got Sky you can just download it from catch up on there.

Don't have Sky but I have Now TV entertainment pass (can't see red dw, I have freeview but for some reason I can't get HD signals and recently even normal channels are getting distorted- screen having discoloured horizontal bars and general stuttering. Moving soon so not interested in trying to get my landlord to fix.

Been watching the last season on BD and it looks phenomenal so would prefer to watch this season in HD on my TV. If all else fails, i'll grab a season pass off iTunes.

That was a really solid episode throughout, in a way we haven't seen for a long time.

Great concept, scene-stealing Hitler character, funny ethical dilemma rooted in sci fi, and nice allusion to The Thing. You even get the sly acknowledgement that they don't look like the real historical figures.

You get things which are set up, like the esoteric ignition sequence and poker scene, which are quintessentially Dwarf and actually pay off in the story. The Cat killing the scientist works because it calls back to the opening scene AND because he does it for selfish, psychopathic reasons. By way of contrast, an example of a recent episode with a weak callback is the one which ends with the not particularly funny "hey-ho, pip and dandy" stinger.

Tizoc

Sooooo I tried to do a community or OT thread for Red Dwarf, and this so far is what I wrote

Synopsis
Red Dwarf is a British sci-fi comedy series that follows Dave Lister who awakens 3 million years after being put into cryo stasis on the mining space ship Red Dwarf. His only companions aboard the gigantic space ship are Rimmer, his former superior office who is resurrected as a hologram by the ship’s AI Holly, and Cat a descendant of his pet cat whose species evolved from cats into humans.
During their travels through space they meet up with Kryten, a service mechanoid who would later join the crew after being re-formatted.
The crew mainly roam around space, getting into adventures and working to keep Red Dwarf running, all the while bickering among themselves (mostly Rimmer and Lister).
Where to watch
The series can be watched through iTunes and Amazon digitally, for other services to watch the series through check here

The latest series is Series XII which just started and can be viewed here
https://uktvplay.uktv.co.uk/shows/red-dwarf/watch-online/

I've got a banner all set up so if that's fine for a first post I can get the thread up later today :X If I should add a characters section let me know.

xandaca

Quite enjoyed that episode, a bit inconsistent as with XI, but had some good laughs ("Rupert Murdoch!"; "Selfie!"; "It's because I'm Hitler, isn't it?"; "Did it not strike you as curious that Hitler didn't look very much like Hitler?") and the pay-off to the poker face scene earlier in the episode was nicely played. I wish it had leaned into the ethical dilemma a little more - amusing how Red Dwarf has already tackled, albeit not in any depth, a more interesting idea than anything in the new Star Trek - and the torture scenes were completely superfluous and thrown away. Half an hour's always tough to do anything in-depth, though, and it was overall enjoyable, a relief that the first signs are that XII will continue the reasonable return to form that was (some of) XI.

Santar

To me it feels like the entire show has basically become a parody of itself now, it's like a standard run of the mill sitcom version of Red Dwarf. Like how they suddenly have a convoluted way of starting Starbug we've never heard of before, that of course ties into the a plot point, just so cliche.

None of the crew really feel like actual characters anymore, it just feels so artificial. In earlier seasons they were more like real people with personalities, now it's more just repeating a few character traits for the fans and the rest is a lot of bad jokes.

I know I sound very harsh but I just find it so sad what's happened to the show.
It just feels like people have a very low standard for what they feel is good, same thing happened with the new X-Files, a lot of people loved it but I thought it was quite bad.

jstripes

Banned
To me it feels like the entire show has basically become a parody of itself now, it's like a standard run of the mill sitcom version of Red Dwarf. Like how they suddenly have a convoluted way of starting Starbug we've never heard of before, that of course ties into the a plot point, just so cliche.

None of the crew really feel like actual characters anymore, it just feels so artificial. In earlier seasons they were more like real people with personalities, now it's more just repeating a few character traits for the fans and the rest is a lot of bad jokes.

I know I sound very harsh but I just find it so sad what's happened to the show.
It just feels like people have a very low standard for what they feel is good, same thing happened with the new X-Files, a lot of people loved it but I thought it was quite bad.
At the same time you could argue the early seasons were them still learning to adapt to their situation, and at this point they are who they are. 30 years would do that to you. 30 years does that to us as well.

Yes, the show isn't as fresh or ambitious as it once was, but I still find something worthwhile in it. It's not like it's a complete desiccated zombie like The Simpsons.

As for Starbug's odd startup sequence, sounds like someone's never owned an old car before. I once had a Hyundai that required a very specific routine to start.

RangerX

Banned

Completely agree with this. The show is a shadow of what it used to be and they have all become massive caricatures now. It really started going downhill once Rob Grant left.

Can't agree on the last part. I think the general consensus on the new X-Files is different to the general consensus on X and XI. Season 10 of the X-Files got pretty awful reviews across the board (Darin Morgan episode aside), where as X and XI generally got good reviews because whatever else you can say about them, they were *funny*.

I see where you're coming from with regards to the Flanderisation of the characters, but I don't think it's entirely bad. Cat became less and less of a Cat, and I don't think it really helped the show even if he seemed to have 'grown' while becoming more 'human'.

For me, seeing them all still acting like children now they're all clearly getting on works rather well. If they'd grown up much, I'm not sure how I'd like the comedy.

There's been some episodes that have shown growth in the characters too, although that was probably more common in X than XI (the father's day episode for example).

Maybe it'll never be brilliant sci-fi, with great characters and good comedy again... but I'll keep watching the show so long as it can keep presenting interesting sci-fi ideas like the karma drive and the 'cured' versions of histories greatest monsters, in a way that continues to make me laugh.

Ideas made up for one episode, for a joke, and then discarded... I mean again I get your point, but it's hardly a new thing in Red Dwarf is it?

CookTrain

Just watched the new episode.

They snuck some cheeky jab jokes in there. I hope they were intentional.

Hitler? I thought he died playing golf.

Clowns? Descendents beware... weird looking childrens entertainers, they can be really dodgy.

Maybe I'm just projecting punchlines onto them.

dsk1210

Clowns? Descendents beware... weird looking childrens entertainers, they can be really dodgy.

It was a really good classic type of Red Dwarf episode, the jokes were spot on.

The golf joke was just about cat having heard he died in a bunker.

Also these were shot over a year ago.

Episode 2 was good, I bet they had a hell of a lot of fun filming it. Must have been a bitch to prepare all the costumes and makeup though!

And I KNEW I recognised James Buckley!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Don't have Sky but I have Now TV entertainment pass (can't see red dw, I have freeview but for some reason I can't get HD signals and recently even normal channels are getting distorted- screen having discoloured horizontal bars and general stuttering. Moving soon so not interested in trying to get my landlord to fix.

Been watching the last season on BD and it looks phenomenal so would prefer to watch this season in HD on my TV. If all else fails, i'll grab a season pass off iTunes.

It’s on the Amazon Fire tv stick.

tomtom94

I enjoyed Siliconia greatly.

HOWEVER, the "robot slave survivor" scene is extremely tasteless in a way I've never found Red Dwarf to be in the past.

Fortunately it is only a blip in an otherwise great episode.

xandaca

3rd episode was a mixed bag at best. As per most eps both last season and this one so far, it got progressively weaker as it went on and here, the last half wasn't really funny at all (maybe the Space Corp Directive reversal) and the 'spit on her wrist' line was even lamer than the 'rinse aid' one from last ep. However, there were a couple of small laughs early on and one big one in Cat's indignant response to Johnny Vegas' cop, maybe the biggest laugh XII has pulled off so far despite it feeling out of character. I loved the concept of the Time Wave, but am I wrong or was it completely abandoned immediately after it was brought up? My feeling is that it's probably how
Holly ends up returning
, but if so, weird to have such a great concept in an episode where it seemed narratively pointless (again, unless I missed something).

m.i.s.

Banned
To me it feels like the entire show has basically become a parody of itself now...

I know I sound very harsh but I just find it so sad what's happened to the show...

You're not the only one that feels this way and you don't sound harsh. First ep of ser 12 was watchable even if the historical figures trope is well worn. I couldn't even finishing watching the others as they were so terrible.

Just ignore all the other series outside one to six. Should've ended with Out of Time at the end of ser 6.

Laserdisk

That last episode and the two before were great.
The last one was like a 30th anniversary special but early.
Enjoyed more of this series than not, its nowhere near series 9 bad.

Top Bottom