• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Faction: Guerrilla Single-Player Demo Early Access for UK / Europe

voltron

just booted the demo up.

Does anyone else hate games that have music constantly playing? Drives me crazy, I cant relax.

I dont mind a nice ambient/atmospheric BGM with spurts of energetic music, but constant sound just pisses me off.

God, wow, had so much fun with the demo-- and beforehand I thought eh I'll try it to see how bad it probably sucks, will then delete demo.

Demo is still there.

voltron

C-Grade.

B-Grade if its lucky. 3rd person cheapens it. Really annoyed it didnt stick to RF tradition and do 1st person. Basically if youre not Epic or KojiPro dont do 3rd person because it makes your game look and play tacky. Especially at the speed this game plays at.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
voltron said:
C-Grade.

B-Grade if its lucky. 3rd person cheapens it. Really annoyed it didnt stick to RF tradition and do 1st person. Basically if youre not Epic or KojiPro dont do 3rd person because it makes your game look and play tacky. Especially at the speed this game plays at.

What? How does TP make it tacky? Also slow? Should see the backpack that adds speed or the rhino backpack for rushing. Game is in no way slow.

I think this plays alot better than Gears 2. Atleast this seems like itll have a "playable" Multiplayer. Beta was awesome.

voltron

Metalic Sand said:
What? How does TP make it tacky? Also slow? Should see the backpack that adds speed or the rhino backpack for rushing. Game is in no way slow.

I think this plays alot better than Gears 2. Atleast this seems like itll have a "playable" Multiplayer. Beta was awesome.

Where did I say slow? I obviously meant fast.

Zeliard

voltron said:
C-Grade.

3rd-person greatly facilitates one of its main gameplay conceits, which is the cover system combined with the destruction tech. As an example, blow a building apart and you can use one of its resulting pieces as cover if it's the right size and sitting in the right position (GTAIV was similar in this regard, but it didn't have anything close to this tech for blowing shit up).

That would be a tougher to manage with first-person. Also, in first-person, you would too often find yourself in a crumbling building with no idea that it's about to fall on top of you, while 3rd-person helps to minimize that problem since it pulls the view back and lets you see much more of the character's surroundings. You necessarily need to see what's going on around you in this game, and the fact that it also features open environments only reinforces that.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Dark FaZe said:
This game is the most impressive game to me technically this gen. Say what you want about Kill Zone or other graphically impressive games, but none of that is really new. This level of destruction is incredible and I haven't seen its equal thus far.

Surprisingly enough Fracture is my second most impressive game technically. The phsyics there are beautiful.
Patchs are awesome

voltron

I gotta admit, the destruction tech (GeoMod?) is something else. Looks sensational.

Driving the armoured vehicles into those solid looking concrete buildings and having the polygons go crashing down all around you in a shower of cement and rubble is fucking bizarre. Its like years of conditioning and knowing what to expect in a videogame have suddenly been thrown out the window.

Really weird but cool feeling.

I hope THQ can license the tech out as middleware.

Huggy

Haha, hilarious. There's a building hanging over a ledge on 3 support beams near the beginning, and I was carefully chipping away bits of the beams. After all 3 were destroyed the bugger didn't fall down.
So I went up and inside the building and started chipping away walls connected to the ground.
Suddenly the whole thing tipped over and fell down. Bastard was filled with explosives apparantly, as the whole thing blew up... with me in it.

Good times.

voltron said:
Driving the armoured vehicles into those solid looking concrete buildings and having the polygons go crashing down all around you in a shower of cement and rubble is fucking bizarre. Its like years of conditioning and knowing what to expect in a videogame have suddenly been thrown out the window.

Really weird but cool feeling.

Yep, I was unconsciously expecting the truck to bounce off the building as usual, and it just ploughed straight through. :D

However, I found the seemingly infinite-respawning enemies a bit tiresome. Is the final game going to be like that, or is that just for the demo?

voltron

Dr Zhivago said:
However, I found the seemingly infinite-respawning enemies a bit tiresome. Is the final game going to be like that, or is that just for the demo?

EXACTLY. I fucking hated that. Combine that with the annoying energetic music and it just seems a little tacky to me.

Just IMO.

voltron said:
EXACTLY. I fucking hated that. Combine that with the annoying energetic music and it just seems a little tacky to me.

Just IMO.

I actually think the music is great ...especially how it's event driven

Why don't you just turn the music off then? ...not an option?

Stitch

Gold Member
Dr Zhivago said:
However, I found the seemingly infinite-respawning enemies a bit tiresome.
indeed. and the time limit sucks too. just let me play around with the physics. :|

Dirk Shmiggler

Neo Member
game is awesome.

the destruction is better than i thought it would be. Almost runs like a demolitions simulator than a video game. No hitches or slowdowns, and everything breaks, flies or falls like you'd think it would.

Just got done playing the DEMO all night.... very fun game... Will buy on day one.

Volition is quickly becoming one of my favorite developers.

I played this demo four times just now. I think it was four. I kind of lost count. It was INCREDIBLE. There's too much greatness to really distill for a post, so...I'll just mention the sheer wonder at the final chase sequence.

Walker. Swing arms vertically or sweep them horizontally. Plow through buildings. Launch vehicles into everything, including humans. Mounted rocket chase. I was watching guys FLY OUT of their cars in one direction with bits and pieces of the axels and wheels going in another.

Damn you, June. Originally it was just Batman and Ghostbusters. Now it's likely Batman, Ghostbusters and Red Faction. Damn you, Volition. Damn you. lol

I'm still giddy from that demo...

I really hope the mech/walker stuff is abundant in the game. We haven't had a good, dirty mech game in what seems like forever, and now here comes a game featuring a mech of each awesome type, and in a game built around the concept of DESTROY. I'm salivating.

The Stealth Fox

The only thing that could potentially hold this title back is if the mission design in the SP campaign is repetitive.

Hopefully all the objectives are unique, unlike Ubisoft games.

The Blue Jihad said:

I played this demo four times just now. I think it was four. I kind of lost count. It was INCREDIBLE. There's too much greatness to really distill for a post, so...I'll just mention the sheer wonder at the final chase sequence.

Walker. Swing arms vertically or sweep them horizontally. Plow through buildings. Launch vehicles into everything, including humans. Mounted rocket chase. I was watching guys FLY OUT of their cars in one direction with bits and pieces of the axels and wheels going in another.

Damn you, June. Originally it was just Batman and Ghostbusters. Now it's likely Batman, Ghostbusters and Red Faction. Damn you, Volition. Damn you. lol

dam straight! :D

Best explosives in a game ever. I don't think I can go back to games where grenades they just leave a charred mark on the wall. Also, very rarely have I felt as powerful in a video game as when I got in that mech. So good.

This dev diary might have been missed so I thought I'd link to it again. Its an awesome vid. Similar overall architecture but larger buildings and a more "earthy" appearance rather than the typical mars looking area. Some awesome shit here. The disentegration weapon is awesome. Turns people into ash and melts cover along with splashing holes through ceilings and causing snipers to fall through them. Then you have some kind of singularity weapon which causes a spinning blackhole to spawn and suck everything into it and then explode? Fucking nuts. All the geometry coming together and then melting apart is amazing. Then it shows off what can only be called a TRUE big fucking gun. This isn't Dooms green booger gun but it fucking melts half of a four story building.

The multiplayer from the beta was surprisingly fun. Nothing that I'd really be on for a long period of time but shooting mechanics were ace and the destruction created enough options for fighting to keep things really interesting. I might actually buy this.

voltron said:
C-Grade.

true. volition, has guts trying to take RF into 3rd person. even if they did it to show off the geo-mod more. demo was alright, but it did feel kinda retarded.

longdi

Banned
I dl the game, not bad, not bad man. Plays like Warhawk but mor depth! I like Warhawk! :D

voltron said:
C-Grade.

sorry bro i disagree. Too many FPS until i am bored and i never like FPS using controller and sitting 1m away from my TV. TPS is better to give a wider world view and for RF gameplay, this is a must! Even in driving games, i play in TP more because i will not feel too restricted. Cockpits view are getting better but still dont like the narrow feelings.

Haunted

It's a really solid game when you play it with cover and the gunplay and shooting/melee and stuff.

and then you start to blow shit up and it's fucking awesome. Easily the best destruction tech this generation, makes Bad Company and Mercenaries 2 (the previous kings on this scale) look positively ancient.

Demo was so lovely, I think I'll pre-order.

Haunted

sullytao said:
I believe Crysis used the old switch-a-roo aswell.
Nah, Crysis does destruction correctly, but on a much smaller scale (basically it's mostly those small-ish corrugated steel huts you can take apart properly).

This takes this one aspect and really takes off with it.

edit: hm, can't find any info on this - will the PC version release simultaneously with the PS3 version? Or is it a staggered release?

This will probably decide which version I'll get. If anyone knows or I missed some sort of announcement concerning this, someone let me know. :)

Dirk Shmiggler

Neo Member
with how good this game is, i wish i'd see this thread bumped constantly to the front. Looks like it might fall through the cracks in the land of gamedom, which would be a shame...

Hopefully the game gets a good reception in June when it comes out b/c it deserves it. I haven't played a demo this much since Bioshock...

I'd rather play this demo than finish KZ2... which, i don't think i'll ever care enough to actually do it.

I'll see you guys on there... Will be buying day one confirmed...

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
The Blue Jihad said:

Late to the Party, I've been a fan for probably a Decade.

*Pours one out for Freespace 3 :(

Brannon

voltron said:
just booted the demo up.

Does anyone else hate games that have music constantly playing? Drives me crazy, I cant relax.

I dont mind a nice ambient/atmospheric BGM with spurts of energetic music, but constant sound just pisses me off.

I think you can turn that off in options as there are many adjustment bars for the various sounds/music options.

Just played the demo on both the Xbox and PS3. I think it's going to be a day 1 purchase for me. I played the early beta (was that MP?) and was pretty unimpressed.

On another note, I actually thought it looked and controlled better on the PS3 I was surprised it ran in 1080p.

web01

Never has a demo sold me on a game so quickly as much as this.
The destruction is so amazing and it so much fun destroying stuff.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The demo was fun but I wish it had a few more weapons and no time limit so I could just play around and break stuff for a bit.

Blablurn

played the demo as well. destroying something is really fun. but i don't dig the world and how it looks like. pretty generic. might buy it when it gets cheap.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
That was awesome.

Was the time limit a demo thing and not something that will be in the full game? Or are certain missions timed while others aren't?

OneLetter

Papercuts said:
That was awesome.

Was the time limit a demo thing and not something that will be in the full game? Or are certain missions timed while others aren't?

The time limit is generally just a part of the demo. There are some timed aspects of the full game, mainly within the guerrilla actions (side missions). From my recent playthroughs, I can only remember one main story mission which has an actual time limit, and it's meant to drive the storyline / urgency of the situation and I've never really run into an issue with it being there.

You're pretty much free to roam around and complete the objectives at your own pace, but if you're dealing with the EDF in a particular mission, sometimes the longer you wait, the more reinforcements they'll send in.

This is one of the fewdemos recently that I thought was wickedly fun. I thought it was going to be Grand Theft Faction, but apparently it is quite cinematic.

Doodlebug

MisterTHQ said:
Which tactics appeal most to you? Sneaking your way in through the back or a full frontal assault with a truck full of mines.

I like to take my time and be methodical. That's why I could only play through the demo a couple of times. The time limit didn't allow me to enjoy it as much as I wanted to. I guess it did its job, though. I'm looking forward to the release of the full game.

Top Bottom