• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Faction: Guerrilla Single-Player Demo Early Access for UK / Europe

This demo (PS3 version) left some of the worst first impressions ever compared to other demos.

The visuals are PS2-level in some ways. The way the characters walk seriously reminds me of Deus Ex -- the first one. Secondly, I thought I'd walk around a little to see how everyone behaves and observed two friendly miners walk up a nearly vertical wall. This is in the first 30 seconds of the demo, mind.

Next, I got into the truck, started driving it, but got shot or exploded. The screen went to black as I died. That's cool... except when play resumed, the screen remained completely black. The HUD was there, I was clearly moving, but the actual third person view was completely black. I had to restart the game from XMB to play again.

Finally, I was able to play for a bit. The gunplay doesn't feel right, though I guess I could get used to it. It was cool destroying everything, but all the glitches really turned me off from the game.

I played the Riddick, Bionic Commando multiplayer, and Red Faction demos all in quick succession yesterday, and this was the only one to leave a very good impression.

I got had flashbacks to Crackdown from the way the third person perspective is handled, particularly how you always have the reticle present and always have complete control over which way the camera is facing. I think I actually prefer this to the RE/Gears style of having the camera always locked over-the-shoulder.

The sticky mines are awesome.

Wow, this demo needs more love. Absolutely the most fun I've had with a demo in as long as I can remember. In fact, I'm almost inclined to say THQ gave a little too much with this demo, given the long play time and high replayability. On second thought though, I think it does a good job of leaving the player wanting more, but it could have teased a few other weapons to further draw people in.

The visual direction is my biggest complaint -- pretty bland, stale.

Sidzed2

Judging from the demo and videos, this game could truly redefine the action game. Being able to destroy architecture in such a convincing, logical way (in accordance with laws of physics) fundamentally alters the way the player deals with the world.

Technologically, this game will be the revolution, the spark that ignites other developers. Every open world action game late in this generation will have destructible environments as standard, just watch.

I am really (REALLY) looking forward to InFamous, but every time I watch a video of it I sigh a little bit because I know that I won't be able to level a building.

I have no interest in the story or mythology of Red Faction, and I have no idea if the mission design will be good or not. All I know is that the fundamental tech feels really fresh, and for me its about the most exciting game technically since Super Mario 64 and Grand Theft Auto 3.

the demo was annoying fail IMO

-sturdy metal buildings fall apart with the slightest touch as if they were elmer's glued together
-AI and enemy animations were crap and too simple
-the open-world mission structure system (GTA, far cry 2, etc.) was okay, but i would need a handful of missions to get an idea of how the rest of the game would feel
-overall just felt simple and been-there-done-that, couldn't get into it

im glad red faction is back, and i can see how a lot of people might like this kinda thing, but it's not for me.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Commanche Raisin Toast said:
the demo was annoying fail IMO

-sturdy metal buildings fall apart with the slightest touch as if they were elmer's glued together
-AI and enemy animations were crap and too simple
-the open-world mission structure system (GTA, far cry 2, etc.) was okay, but i would need a handful of missions to get an idea of how the rest of the game would feel
-overall just felt simple and been-there-done-that, couldn't get into it

im glad red faction is back, and i can see how a lot of people might like this kinda thing, but it's not for me.

I dunno man, i once saw a car drive through someones front room and it was only doing 30-40 mph. Mass times weight and all that. Yes the physics are exaggerated in this game but vehicles fuck buildings up. And future cars might be more resistant to a building falling on them? hmmm... :lol

Love the hell out of this demo though. I want time and space to carefully demolish large structures though, having people shoot at me all the time is annoying. I might get the full game just to do that. Really though, as soon as I drove my truck through the door of the objective I knew this game was for me. I didn't even know I would be able to it it, it was my first playthrough, but I was so so pleased, finally a game to cater to my action-movie playstyle.

I though the turret section was pretty fun too, the explosions and vehicles had a great bouncy weight to them that made blowing them up so really satisfying.

mjc

This game makes me hopeful for the future of action games. Run into a solid object? Your vehicle shouldn't stop completely if it clips a concrete nub, it should just keep on going.

I loved the demo, day one for me.

Jedeye Sniv said:
I dunno man, i once saw a car drive through someones front room and it was only doing 30-40 mph. Mass times weight and all that. Yes the physics are exaggerated in this game but vehicles fuck buildings up. And future cars might be more resistant to a building falling on them? hmmm... :lol

Love the hell out of this demo though. I want time and space to carefully demolish large structures though, having people shoot at me all the time is annoying. I might get the full game just to do that. Really though, as soon as I drove my truck through the door of the objective I knew this game was for me. I didn't even know I would be able to it it, it was my first playthrough, but I was so so pleased, finally a game to cater to my action-movie playstyle.

I though the turret section was pretty fun too, the explosions and vehicles had a great bouncy weight to them that made blowing them up so really satisfying.

yeah, i won't deny that a lot of the destruction was satisfying, but most of the time i was wondering where the "resist sneeze" button on my controller was from everything being so delicate. often though it felt real enough, with an explosion only partially destroying something and feeling like it was accurate. when driving or in the mech tho, or the hammer, it was just silly.

EekTheKat

I couldn't get into this with default controls, but once I swapped it over to Alternate 1 it felt a lot better.

Alt 1 controls + toggle crouch and the game clicked with me.

It's probably Call of Duty disease, but the game felt more methodical to me this way.

Got it on pre-order, demo got me curious as to how the full game is.

My first Red Faction game - nothing better than taking out the beams that hold up a building only for it to fall on top of me and other enemies. Seriously, Amir0x said it, this is probably one of the first games where destruction feels really important. So the buildings crumble with the swing of a hammer, it's too much fun to care!

Seriously, being able to crumple a building with minor effort - and when you get the Walker, forget it, Geo-Mod 2 really shines at this point.

Jedeye Sniv said:
Love the hell out of this demo though. I want time and space to carefully demolish large structures though, having people shoot at me all the time is annoying.

So true, very annoying - possibly without a time limit you can clear out an area and just go on a rampage. Having never played a game in the series I can say the demo really impressed me and sold me for a day one purchase. I'd like to see Geo-Mod 2 get some love for this one...

george_us

Strange really. The demo left me unimpressed yet the more I played it, the more I grew to like it. So far it's teetering on the edge of "Day one" and "will buy when its cheap".

icechai

the gameplay is pretty damn captivating as a open world type thing, from the demo it just didn't feel like there was an urgency to really follow the objective much. Also the art style wasn't anything special.

Loved the hell out of the demo. Wasn't planning on buying this before but now really feel tempted. One thing that bothered me though - is there a way to alternate the over the shoulder camera position from the left and right shoulder? I'm used to shifting the camera depending on which side I'm approaching a corner to peak around, but it seemed like it was stuck on the right shoulder.

Blast Processing said:
I played the Riddick, Bionic Commando multiplayer, and Red Faction demos all in quick succession yesterday, and this was the only one to leave a very good impression.

Well, the Riddick demo was horrifying, as well, so....

(Not sure about the BC demo, haven't played.)

But this demo glitched on me horribly in the first 5 minutes.

test_account

XP-39C²
Was the Red Faction: Guerrilla demo that came with Qore (for the PS3) the same demo that is now available for everyone on the PS3 and for the Xbox 360?

Mr. Sam

It felt really generic, which was odd considering some of the more original aspects of the game. Can't say I'm particularly interested, even though I was a big fan of Red Faction 2 for quite a while.

bottles

I thoroughly enjoyed the demo, but it’s nothing we haven’t seen before. The map looks huge, but, like Far Cry 2, I can easily see this game becoming a tedious affair if there’s not enough variation in the missions. I also hope the color palette will be broader in the full game since I’m not liking the visual direction in the demo.

I did like that I immediately got the hang of the controls, but, like somebody already mentioned, the fact that I couldn’t move the camera from one shoulder to the other was disappointing.

Looking forward to the reviews.

MisterTHQ

THQ Member
Want to prove your worth on Red Faction: Guerrilla?

If you’re 16 years or older and living in the UK, then here is your opportunity to come along and play the multiplayer game!

THQ is hosting an event on the 23rd May in Central London, where you’ll be able to play the multiplayer mode on PlayStation 3 and compete in a tournament to win Red Faction: Guerrilla prizes.

If you’d like to attend, drop us an email at ukwebmaster@thq.com and let us know why you’re the biggest Red Faction fan - names will be drawn at random on Friday!

We've got a new Developer diary: http://www.thq-games.com/uk/thqtv/index/3006
James Hague, design director, shows you how control and morale work to liberate a sector from the EDF.

MisterTHQ

THQ Member
Here are the details of the pre-order deals available in the UK:

Game
Exclusive to Game, pre-order to receive a free Replica Heavy Walker Figurine. Fully opposable figurine based on the in-game mining vehicle.

2jtda9.jpg

http://www.game.co.uk/search.aspx?s=red+faction:+guerrilla

Gamestation
Pre-order from Gamestation and get an exclusive Red Faction comic book.

http://www.gamestation.co.uk/search.aspx?s=red+faction:+guerrilla

HMV
Pre-order the Xbox 360 version of Red Faction: Guerrilla and you can get 800 Xbox Live Points.
Xbox 360: http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;-1;-1;-1;-1&sku=846702

Amazon
Pre-order the PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360 version from Amazon and you’ll get a free in-game golden hammer.

Xbox 360: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0015XK68W/
PlayStation 3: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0015XIEYA/

Play.com
Pre-order the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 version at Play.com to get exclusive Wrecking Crew multiplayer maps. The maps included are Fortress, Transmission, Scrapheap and Gulch.

http://www.play.com/Search.aspx?searchtype=gameall&searchstring=red+faction:+guerrilla

For those outside the UK:
A full list of all the preorder bonuses available in the USA, Canada and Australia can be found here: http://community.redfaction.com/content/full-pre-order-list-uscanadaaustraliaeurope

MisterTHQ

THQ Member
Here are a couple of reviews on Red Faction: Guerrilla!

TheSixthAxis went hands on with the multiplayer mayhem in Red Faction: Guerrilla at an event in London earlier this week.

To see what they thought visit http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2009/05/13/red-faction-guerilla-hands-on/

Xbox World also has a podcast here: http://mos.futurenet.com/video/xboxworld360/podcast/XBWPodcastNo33.mp3

A few quotes from the podcast:

"it's an incredible technical achievement; it's an incredible piece of design"
"it's commanded the office, it's been played and played and played"
"There's good AI as well, because the AI can really find it's way through the world, even when it's in tatters"
"the destruction is just the absolute heart of this game"

A preview of the multiplayer mode can be found here:
http://www.destructoid.com/preview-red-faction-guerrilla-multiplayer--131975.phtml

MisterTHQ said:
Here are a couple of reviews on Red Faction: Guerrilla!

TheSixthAxis went hands on with the multiplayer mayhem in Red Faction: Guerrilla at an event in London earlier this week.

To see what they thought visit http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2009/05/13/red-faction-guerilla-hands-on/

Xbox World also has a podcast here: http://mos.futurenet.com/video/xboxworld360/podcast/XBWPodcastNo33.mp3

A few quotes from the podcast:

"it's an incredible technical achievement; it's an incredible piece of design"
"it's commanded the office, it's been played and played and played"
"There's good AI as well, because the AI can really find it's way through the world, even when it's in tatters"
"the destruction is just the absolute heart of this game"

A preview of the multiplayer mode can be found here:
http://www.destructoid.com/preview-red-faction-guerrilla-multiplayer--131975.phtml

Glad to hear some positive impressions since Volition is awesome enough to give me a free copy of the game and swag! Awaiting playing it!

OneLetter

Hey all,

Just wanted to ensure everyone knows that our Multiplayer Demo hits XBox LIVE and the PlayStation Network tomorrow, Thursday May 21st.

It will feature:

- 2 Maps: Radial (reconfigured since the Beta) and Warlords (RF1 inspired map)
- 9 Weapons
- 5 Backpacks
- 15 unlockable XP levels
- Damage Control Playlist only.

You will also be able to make parties with your friends, but there will not be private matches in the demo. There are private matches in the final game though.

Just because I know someone will ask, any XP gained during your time with the demo will not carry over to the final game. We've accelerated the level structure in the demo so that players get a feel for some of the 125 unlockables available when the game ships on June 2nd.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

pr0cs

I preordered this a while back, I was in the MP beta and while it was interesting it sort of felt a bit "been there done that". Hopefully this new MP demo helps visualize what the retail MP will be more like.

I'm more interested in the single player but I could see myself getting into the MP if it focused a little more on the destruction (which the first MP beta seemed to gloss over)

OneLetter

pr0cs said:
I preordered this a while back, I was in the MP beta and while it was interesting it sort of felt a bit "been there done that". Hopefully this new MP demo helps visualize what the retail MP will be more like.

I'm more interested in the single player but I could see myself getting into the MP if it focused a little more on the destruction (which the first MP beta seemed to gloss over)

If you haven't seen it, check out the feature I put up on our community website a few weeks back called "MP Changes Since The Beta". We took all of the feedback we received on our community forums and applied as much as we could to the game to make it better. One of the biggest additions was that we added the Stress system to MP now, so while an entire smokestack would stay up on a single foot wide metal support during the beta, those days are long gone.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

The actual demo is only showcasing one of our 6 modes though (Damage Control - our version of King Of The Hill / Zone Control), which focuses a little bit on destruction in terms of what you'll find on the maps and the actual control points, but it's in no way the end-all destruction multiplayer game type. For that you'll want to either play Siege or Demolition.

Siege is two teams take turns attacking the opposition's base. It's the offensive teams job to take down every building within the specified time limit. The defensive team not only has to kill the oncoming attackers, but use the Reconstructor to build their structures back up to full health.

Demolition is kind of a VIP mode, but your VIP needs to be constantly destroying walls, structures, and buildings. The more he tears apart, the easier it'll be for your team to win. You can even pass the VIP mode between players if one person just wants to go around killing the other team/their VIP.

Hopefully that fills out your appetite for destruction now.

The demo was a pleasant surprise for myself. I was expecting pure, unfiltered, genuine crap.. but I had a blast simply destroying random structures and then the 'walker'.. awesome.

Aaron

pr0cs said:
What? Do you burst through walls to clobber an enemy, lay explosives to bring down the roof on their heads, and do a jetpack assisted snipe in all of your MP games? I was also in the beta, and of all the criticisms you could lay at it, this seems the strangest. The whole destroy/rebuild tower mode was based around destruction.

My only problem was the annoying screen fade while taking damage and lack of a life bar, which they actually changed for the final game.

pr0cs

Aaron said:
What? Do you burst through walls to clobber an enemy, lay explosives to bring down the roof on their heads, and do a jetpack assisted snipe in all of your MP games? I was also in the beta, and of all the criticisms you could lay at it, this seems the strangest. The whole destroy/rebuild tower mode was based around destruction.

My only problem was the annoying screen fade while taking damage and lack of a life bar, which they actually changed for the final game.
Maybe it was the games I played (I only did get into a few tower mode type games) but they all felt sort of bland, especially the deathmatch type games.
I'm looking forward to trying the other game modes. The single player demo I played a ton, second only to Crackdown and Saint's Row so I'm hooked just the MP is up in the air for me.

Aaron

pr0cs said:
Maybe it was the games I played (I only did get into a few tower mode type games) but they all felt sort of bland, especially the deathmatch type games.
I'm looking forward to trying the other game modes. The single player demo I played a ton, second only to Crackdown and Saint's Row so I'm hooked just the MP is up in the air for me.
Sounds like you didn't really use the backpacks or the explosives. If you try to play it like a standard third person shooter, naturally it'll play as one. You got to make use of your options.

This game was not on my radar at all...at all. I literally downloaded the demo out of boredom before I sat down to watch a movie with my girl.

This is what a demo should do, I absolutley loved it, this game went from pay no mind to pay for pre order :lol

Shawsie64

Banned
OneLetter said:
If you haven't seen it, check out the feature I put up on our community website a few weeks back called "MP Changes Since The Beta". We took all of the feedback we received on our community forums and applied as much as we could to the game to make it better. One of the biggest additions was that we added the Stress system to MP now, so while an entire smokestack would stay up on a single foot wide metal support during the beta, those days are long gone.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

The actual demo is only showcasing one of our 6 modes though (Damage Control - our version of King Of The Hill / Zone Control), which focuses a little bit on destruction in terms of what you'll find on the maps and the actual control points, but it's in no way the end-all destruction multiplayer game type. For that you'll want to either play Siege or Demolition.

Siege is two teams take turns attacking the opposition's base. It's the offensive teams job to take down every building within the specified time limit. The defensive team not only has to kill the oncoming attackers, but use the Reconstructor to build their structures back up to full health.

Demolition is kind of a VIP mode, but your VIP needs to be constantly destroying walls, structures, and buildings. The more he tears apart, the easier it'll be for your team to win. You can even pass the VIP mode between players if one person just wants to go around killing the other team/their VIP.

Hopefully that fills out your appetite for destruction now.

Sweet! cant wait. Any idea what time?

And when is the PC demo/full version out?

Wag said:
Either way I don't mind waiting a few months more for the PC release because it's $20 cheaper (at least in the US).

Well sure that's a huge bonus but its the tearing and framerate that's my main concern, a game that tears around half of its frames and spend most of its time below 30fps is something I'm not going to put up with, I really can't stand tearing at all. Even an average PC port should be much better on my hardware (at the very least I can 100% get rid of tearing in any PC game, so that's like a 100% improvement right there) but the fact that Saint's Row 2 is pretty much the single worst PC port of all time still gives me the jitters. I just want reassurance is all, because it'd be criminal for there to be no version of this game available without huge swades of tearing and a shitty framerate.

The more Volition keep PC gamers in the dark the more concerned I'll be, a demo would solve all of that and have me complete an online order for the game right away.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
OneLetter said:
Hey all,

Just wanted to ensure everyone knows that our Multiplayer Demo hits XBox LIVE and the PlayStation Network tomorrow, Thursday May 21st.

It will feature:

- 9 Weapons
- 5 Backpacks

You will also be able to make parties with your friends, but there will not be private matches in the demo. There are private matches in the final game though.

Just because I know someone will ask, any XP gained during your time with the demo will not carry over to the final game. We've accelerated the level structure in the demo so that players get a feel for some of the 125 unlockables available when the game ships on June 2nd.

So there are actual unlockables now? In the beta all leveling did was give you access to more ways to level, making it one giant pointless hampster wheel.

MMaRsu

Banned
OneLetter said:
Hey all,

It will feature:

- 9 Weapons
- 5 Backpacks

Awesome man, thanks for letting us know. I was just wondering when we would see a RFG MP demo!

Ramenman

OneLetter said:
Hey all,

That's nice of you because I didn't :O

DLing right away.

Edit : Though if the demo only features Damage Control (which I can understand since this is this mode forces the emphasis on the destruction system), you should probably mention that there's still Deathmatch and CTF and whatnot in the full game.

Top Bottom