• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Faction: Guerrilla Single-Player Demo Early Access for UK / Europe

raYne

SpokkX said:
uh why do the EDF (police?) always attack on sight even though I havn´t done anything. They do not shoot other workers and seem to see me through walls and immediately start to shoot at me.

This could get really annoying in an open world game
They don't... If you didn't shoot anyone/thing or do any other form of chaos, they won't bother you. Within reason.

For example, the guy that walks up the ridge on the direct left of the start and the one that comes from the right and heads towards the buildings won't do anything to you. You can walk up to and around them and it won't matter. UNLESS they tell you to get out of the way (or the equivalent) and if you don't, they'll attack you. It's the same behavior they have with the civilian AI.

You'll also be attacked on sight if you go into certain "no go" zones (near the mech and basically the rest of the area between the mech side and the starting side), because you aren't supposed to be there.

The bolded is wrong as well. As I said, if a civilian gets in the way they'll tell them to move. If they don't they'll be attacked, killed, stomped on or (as I said in an earlier post) forced to the ground and executed.

Doodlebug said:
Will there be time limits in the full game? I hope not. I'd spend hours toying around in many areas.
Why would the full game have time limits? :lol

Fireflu

Hmmm, im getting some real frame rate drops here in the demo (360) i have no idea why as you all seem to be reporting a solid frame rate, its dipping from 30 to 20 and even 10 and points, its pretty off putting...

Fireflu said:
Hmmm, im getting some real frame rate drops here in the demo (360) i have no idea why as you all seem to be reporting a solid frame rate, its dipping from 30 to 20 and even 10 and points, its pretty off putting...

Weird

At worse, I've seen a couple entire screen covering explosions that will only bring the framerate down into the low 20s/upper teens

Doodlebug said:
I've never played a Red Faction game before. Maybe going against the clock was part of the games, idk.

I suppose there may be a time limit on a few missions in the actual game, but you'd always be able to roam free in between missions regardless.

AgentOtaku said:
Weird

At worse, I've seen a couple entire screen covering explosions that will only bring the framerate down into the low 20s/upper teens

Yeah, I'm genuinely impressed with the framerate. Maybe it says more about other games, but I was honestly surprised that the framerate would still hold fairly steady 3 buildings deep.

AltogetherAndrews said:
Yeah, I'm genuinely impressed with the framerate. Maybe it says more about other games, but I was honestly surprised that the framerate would still hold fairly steady 3 buildings deep.

It's kinda the primary draw of the tech/visuals so yeah, I'm glad they got it right. It's just so amazing.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I didn't particularly care for this demo. I had it preordered, but I'm going to move it now

HaL64

McBacon said:
I hope there is a Godmode cheat in the full game. I'm sick of being shot at. Just wanna blow stuff up.

Ya people complained about this over at the community forum.
Apparently the AI is on full alert all the time for the demo because they start you out in an EDF controlled area. So the final game isn't normally like this.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
This demo was very well done. I was afraid it would be Saint's Row in space - thankfully that was not the case. I'll be picking this up.

eshwaaz

HaL64 said:
Ya people complained about this over at the community forum.
Apparently the AI is on full alert all the time for the demo because they start you out in an EDF controlled area. So the final game isn't normally like this.

Great news; that was my biggest concern with the demo.

AltogetherAndrews said:
My biggest concern now is that the Mars environment is going to grow a bit dull over time. I mean, it's Mars.

And that's my second concern. I have been having a lot of fun with the demo, though.

HaL64

eshwaaz said:
Great news; that was my biggest concern with the demo.

And that's my second concern. I have been having a lot of fun with the demo, though.

You should watch this video. It shows more of what to expect from the gameplay. As far as desert environment goes. There is supposed to be more terraformed areas.

rfg_1205_04.jpg

eshwaaz

One more thing - the sound balancing seems really off to me. A small metal rod hitting the ground after an explosion is considerably louder than the explosion itself. Unless I'm right on top of the blast, it's mixed really soft. A huge fuel tank exploding 40 feet away should be deafening.

HaL64 said:
You should watch this video. It shows more of what to expect from the gameplay. As far as desert environment goes. There is supposed to be more terraformed areas.

rfg_1205_04.jpg

Awesome. This was an all but guaranteed buy anyway, but that's really good to hear.

Ramenman

Jesus this game is FUCKING INCREDIBLE. This game was totally out of my interest-jurisdiction one week ago.

I played the demo like 5-6 times in a row without getting bored, it's just new everytime.

Just try to do exactly the same things twice, it's impossible.

And in every single one of my playthroughs there was at least one moment that was gifworthy.
I planned to post them all here but there's too much of them, and it's too hard to describe anyway.

Some of the time, trying to collapse a building in as less tries as possible felt like playing some kind of real life Boom Blox. Awesome.

Aside from the Geo Mod madness (believe, you have to try it to understand), just as an Open World game, you have to applaud the fact that :

(1) Gunfighting isn't an aftertought and works very well, with a cover system that actually works.
(2) The ennemies aren't always positionned the same way at the beginning of a mission (ennemy type #1 with assault rifle can be replaced by armored guy with lasergun the next time you try the demo; and there's not always an ennemy on the rooftop of that building), the vehicles at your disposition aren't always the same (though always located at the same spot), and ennemies don't behave the same way everytime you play (first time I played I got attacked by 3 ennemies who where shooting at me from the bridge, and failed to destroy it. Second time I'm like "heh heh, I'll put some charges under the bridge to make it explode when those three guys cross it", but they never showed up. Instead, they came in one of their vehicles to kick my ass).
So basically, it's different on every try, even if you don't take into account the obvious fact that the level design will change.
(3) no shitty framerate, aside (maybe) from some gfx-heavy moments in the Walker.
(4) I'm not a graphicx eyzez usually, but the game looked really sharp to me when I first booted it up (sharp meaning "woah, that's HD" as opposed to "hmm, that's kinda blurry isnt it ?" when I first played Force Unleashed), especially the main character's model and animation is really cool.

SpokkX said:
uh why do the EDF (police?) always attack on sight even though I havn´t done anything. They do not shoot other workers and seem to see me through walls and immediately start to shoot at me.

This could get really annoying in an open world game

I think it's because you're in a mission straight from the beginning.

I read in a preview that as long as you're carrying the sledgehammer (ie : not an obvious weapon like a gun) the EDF won't attack. The journo even said it let you the possibility to kill one trooper or two without directly sounding the alarm (if you don't get seen bashing them of course).

I do think it would suck if it turned out like Assassin's Creed's overworld.

Edit : By the way, I'm SO wanting to give the multiplayer a try, It's got to be insane, and it has jetpacks.
Also there are "Wrecking Crew" and "Xbox Live" options greyed out in the demo's main menu, does it mean a multiplayer demo is coming too ?

That would be like REALLY clever, and they have more than the time to release it given that the game is due out in June.

GrayFoxPL

eshwaaz said:
One more thing - the sound balancing seems really off to me. A small metal rod hitting the ground after an explosion is considerably louder than the explosion itself. Unless I'm right on top of the blast, it's mixed really soft. A huge fuel tank exploding 40 feet away should be deafening.

You're right about the sound. It's way too delicate considering what's happening all the time.

Btw. What's the timeline of this game?

Is it prequel?

BeeDog

I had some GREAT fun with this demo, and it positively surprised me. The destruction is amazing, and it's just pure fun destroying every fucking thing with the mech.

PowderedToast

GrayFoxPL said:
You're right about the sound. It's way too delicate considering what's happening all the time.

Btw. What's the timeline of this game?

Is it prequel?
It's set 50 years after the past two games, I read.

Feindflug

Yesterday I played the demo about 3 times in a row and I was very impressed especially by the visuals and the frame-rate (360 version btw) as I expecting bland visuals and horrible frame-rate but the game is very impressive technically...gunplay/controls were fast and fun, driving top-notch and the destruction/particle effects simply amazing, I have to say that I wasn't expecting much from this game but I had a great time with the demo - day one purchase confirmed.

Ramenman

Damn, taking down that two stories building never gets old. It's a good thing that it's actually hard to bring it down, because if it did break down to nothingness every time it would just defeat the purpose of having such an advanced physics engine.

Hitting ennemies with the sledgehammer is very fun too, especially when they get out of their vehicle and you hammer them back into it, or they're taking cover behind a wall and you hammer the wall :lol

Xater

Still not impressed with this game. It really doesnt click for me at all. Th destruction stuff is nice but the graphics are really not good and the AI is absolutely terrible. I did not really get much fun out of this demo. It's really just a mediocre third person shooter with a destruction gimmick.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Agent Icebeezy said:
I didn't particularly care for this demo. I had it preordered, but I'm going to move it now

Looking at the impressions from everyone else, what the hell am I missing? I guess I need to try it again.

Dabanton

Agent Icebeezy said:
Looking at the impressions from everyone else, what the hell am I missing? I guess I need to try it again.

Imagination?

Tons of things to do in the game i spent two hours messing around with the demo yesterday,trying out different techniques and testing the resilience of buildings,driving cars and trucks to take down supports ,throwing stickybombs on cars and then driving them at checkpoints, trying to see how many EDF soldiers i could take on with just a pistol.

And to think this is only one little section of the game,with three weapons and 1 walker the full game should be awesome.

Ramenman

Agent Icebeezy said:

I think you're like this guy :

ThePeacemaker02 said:
It's always weird to me when a game give you so much freedom to do things. You have to get into the mindset that you can do some crazy stuff, not just the simple shooting people and blowing up mines. I think I'm going to play the demo again to go experiment.

I agree, if you just kill the ennemies, steal the walker and go home, this look like a ok-to-meh TPS with occasionally cool demolition.

But that would be like playing Banjo Nuts & Bolts with the game's blueprints.

Xater

Ramenman said:
I agree, if you just kill the ennemies, steal the walker and go home, this look like a ok-to-meh TPS with occasionally cool demolition.

Then maybe this game just isn't for me bcause I don't understand why I would do this. My way is way more effective and quicker.

I only used the mines twice, to blow up some tanks and to open up the gate to the walker.

Tarin02543

yes the first time when I've played it I just followed the objections. It was over rather quickly and it left an impression on me of an average shooter so I tried it another time to see if there wasn't more to it.

boy was I wrong, there's many different ways to approach your goal. Also the vehicles are the best I've driven in fps game. I might buy this.

NIN90

I'm impressed.
This is the very first open world game where I just want to do crazy shit.

Xater said:
Then maybe this game just isn't for me bcause I don't understand why I would do this. My way is way more effective and quicker.

Ye, why not speed-run through the whole game. I mean it's way more effective and quicker. :|

Xater

NIN90 said:
Ye, why not speed-run through the whole game. I mean it's way more effective and quicker. :|

I am sorry that I don't understand why I should do all this elaborate bullshit if I can achive the same goal way easier. If they really incorporate the detruction into the gameplay then I am impressed, but the demo doesn't really show it.

If the final game actually requires clever destruction to achieve goals then I am on board.

It's been a while since a game demo has left me maniacally antsy for more, and unsatisfied with any current game I could play. I might even splurge for a CE, assuming there is one.

Xater said:
I am sorry that I don't understand why I should do all this elaborate bullshit if I can achive the same goal way easier.

Because it's fun to play, I'd assume. If you don't get a kick out of planning a creatively destructive approach, then the game might not be for you. Well, that is if the demo is an accurate slice of the full game.

Ramenman said:
Hitting ennemies with the sledgehammer is very fun too, especially when they get out of their vehicle and you hammer them back into it, or they're taking cover behind a wall and you hammer the wall :lol

Yeah, I agree. One of my favourite moments was smashing a wall down on top of three enemies stood on the other side of it.

Cool demo, played it through quite a few times just trying things out. Never liked any of the Red Faction games but definitely getting this one.

The guerilla angle works really well with all this destructability. The way you're rewarded for destruction with pick-ups to power up your gear could be really cool. Even the on-rails bit was more entertaining than usual thanks to the physics and watching vehicles flying through buildings. The walker is fun to rampage in as well, love doing the uppercut swing on the apcs and watching them fly.

Only thing which bummed me out about the demo was that being stealthy seemed impossible. Hope the ai doesn't act like this all the time in the full game.

NIN90

Xater said:
I am sorry that I don't understand why I should do all this elaborate bullshit if I can achive the same goal way easier. If they really incorporate the detruction into the gameplay then I am impressed, but the demo doesn't really show it.

If the final game actually requires clever destruction to achieve goals then I am on board.

The destruction is actually incorporated in the gameplay, even in the demo.
Try to smack a building up. You will see some glowing pieces that you can pick up (I think it's some kinda currency in the game) .
Or destroy enemy buildings to a certain degree (indicated by % on the radar) or destroy tanks to boost the morale of the resistance.

You would've noticed if you actually tried the destruction stuff.

raYne

Xater said:

Fun?

Your avatar must be smh-ing at you right about now..

edit:
AA already go it.

Dabanton said:
Imagination?

Tons of things to do in the game i spent two hours messing around with the demo yesterday,trying out different techniques and testing the resilience of buildings,driving cars and trucks to take down supports ,throwing stickybombs on cars and then driving them at checkpoints, trying to see how many EDF soldiers i could take on with just a pistol.

And to think this is only one little section of the game,with three weapons and 1 walker the full game should be awesome.
The bolded x100.

You know that building full of explosives hanging on the left the small valley heading towards the main camp? If you take out the main supports in the valley (used my hammer) you can plant some explosives on the two remaining ones up top and bring the whole thing down without setting off the canisters...

So I take out the ground supports, plant explosives up top, build up a wanted level and lead them into the valley. Like 3 vehicles come speeding up to me and they all hop out as planned to get me. I set off the explosives, bringing the building and it's contents crashing down on everyone below and get them trapped in the rubble. Then I toss another mine into the rubble and set off all the explosives while walking away towards the camera all badass-like. :lol

Vehicles, people and rubble flying, with explosions everywhere.

Xater said:

I drove a vehicle through all the buildings in my way on the path to the walker, that was quick. But really man, if it's not for you, it's not for you. None of us are gonna convince you of it. Undoubtedly there will be other games that interest you, I wouldn't be concerned about "missing" anything here, as it seems for you there is nothing to miss.

---

Anyone know exactly how the mayhem stuff works? The counter only seems to start popping up after I knock out one of those weather vane thingys

Xater

NIN90 said:
The destruction is actually incorporated in the gameplay, even in the demo.
Try to smack a building up. You will see some glowing pieces that you can pick up (I think it's some kinda currency in the game) .
Or destroy enemy buildings to a certain degree (indicated by % on the radar) or destroy tanks to boost the morale of the resistance.

You would've noticed if you actually tried the destruction stuff.

I've seen the pieces and morale aspect but it's hardly a real indication of how it works in the real game. So far can see that I can get the pieces by randomly blwing shit up while doing my mission. I don't see how that in any way makes the destruction that important for completing the mission.

I am thinking more like blowing up part of a foundation from a tower, so it falls onto something and that actually is a mission goal. That would be fun and an interesting way to incorporate the destruction into the actual gamepaly. Just judging by the demo I could walk to my objective and blow random shit up zo improve morale and get those parts. It's just creating destruction for the sake of it.

Xater

PedroLumpy said:
I drove a vehicle through all the buildings in my way on the path to the walker, that was quick. But really man, if it's not for you, it's not for you. None of us are gonna convince you of it. Undoubtedly there will be other games that interest you, I wouldn't be concerned about "missing" anything here, as it seems for you there is nothing to miss.

Probably, but I can still question the game design decision. I was just expecting more from it and maybe it will deliver that in the final product. The reviews will let me know I guess.

NIN90

Odrion said:
oh i see, xater must have yawntism or something. poor guy :\

Thats was a close one, buddy.

I see where you are comin' from, Xater.
It would be neat to see some of that stuff incorporated into the objectives.
But I think it's pretty likely that we will see stuff like that as it's pretty obvious, imo.

Only time will tell.

Top Bottom