• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I've been looking forward to this review since it was announced. Starship Troopers might be my favorite movie ever.

Man, the ending never occurred to me in terms of the love interests. Huh.

And holy freaking crap are the sequels bad. Like extremely bad. Never saw that CGI sequel that would I guess be the fourth movie?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I've been looking forward to this review since it was announced. Starship Troopers might be my favorite movie ever.

Man, the ending never occurred to me in terms of the love interests. Huh.

And holy freaking crap are the sequels bad. Like extremely bad. Never saw that CGI sequel that would I guess be the fourth movie?
I don't think the anime movie is connected to the franchise.
It's funny listening to the commentary on the Starship Troopers disc... you have NPH exciting talking about the sequel as if he'd be in it. lol

The old 2000s cartoon is okay though, but also has nothing to do with the movies - it's based more on the book, so you have a friendly alien team member that helps them fights the bugs. That said, it got cancelled before they could finish it so there's no real ending.

riprichevans_zpscw0pmmvu.png

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I did find his counter-example rather interesting, though. It's a nice reminder how that, at its core, Star Trek has always been a series about empathy and tolerance.
People remember he fights the Gorn, but no one remembers that he spares the Gorn and meets an androgynous alien god person at the end. lol

golem

That Evans bit killed me. Starship Troopers is a great film, glad they did an episode on it. The Star Trek comparison was really good too.

Lupercal

Banned
They didn't bring up the whole 'was the asteroid really re-directed' thing of the movie. Based on their society, I wouldn't put it passed them to use a random Asteroid hit and use it to propagate their propaganda machine.

True, especially when they had that ring of space guns surrounding Earth.

Young teenage me definetely missed a lot of the satire in this movie when it came out.
Took me some viewings to fully grasp it.

BigAT

Great episode, 14 year old me definitely missed the satire in the movie, then again I never did watch the opening act.

Yeah, Starship Troopers is kind of a weird movie for me in that I loved it as just an over-the-top action movie when I saw it as a young teenager, but I also now appreciate it for the satire that it clearly is.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Yeah, Starship Troopers is kind of a weird movie for me in that I loved it as just an over-the-top action movie when I saw it as a young teenager, but I also now appreciate it for the satire that it clearly is.

Same, but even though a lot of it went over my head, I could tell that it was at least as much of a comedy/parody as it was an action movie. I mean it's kind of hard to not pick up on the tone of those mini propaganda clips sprinkled throughout.

Geeky

I just rewatched the latest BotW and I'm having trouble remembering something. I could swear that the first time I watched it immediately after it went up, the word "cunt" (from Mike quoting Silence of the Lambs) and the reference to the kid in the final movie jerking off that dude weren't bleeped out. But upon second viewing, both instances are censored.

Am I remembering wrong?

I think they did something similar with the Starship Troopers episode. I saw it right when it went up and I recall Jay saying sone thing when Mike pointed at the beginning. The zoom in on Mike's face wasn't there either.

Cheerilee

They didn't bring up the whole 'was the asteroid really re-directed' thing of the movie. Based on their society, I wouldn't put it passed them to use a random Asteroid hit and use it to propagate their propaganda machine.

Yep. For those who who aren't aware (is there anyone? Besides maybe Mike and Jay?), it's not made explicitly clear in the movie, but the humans stepped on the bugs turf, and then the bugs and humans went to war (as Mike explained). But the major motivator on the human side of the war is that the bugs pushed a rock from their side of space, and they deliberately dropped it on the populated city of Buenos Aries.

But that's an astronomically long shot, and bugs don't appear to have the technology to push a rock at FTL speeds, and the rock hit Earth at much lower speeds (an FTL rock would have destroyed the Earth), while Earth clearly has the technology to detect and prevent such an attack.

Buenos Aries was a false flag attack. The bugs had nothing to do with it. The human government destroyed one of their own cities in order to rally and motivate humanity to fight and conquer a race that the human government had just gone to war with.

I think "It's afraid!" followed by a loud roar of soldiers cheering says it all. But at the same time, it was a really clever moment in that movie if you stop and think about what is happening in that scene. The movie makes the audience cheer for what are essentially interplanetary bullies. The 'love square' is also interesting as well, as the two surviving members fall in love but really aren't very in love with each other at all. The satire is well placed.

Goldmund

The comment section to the video is either really frightening or the satire went over my head. People defending the propaganda and ideology the movie is mocking.

The comment section to the video is either really frightening or the satire went over my head. People defending the propaganda and ideology the movie is mocking.

Starship Troopers fans in general, both the novel and the movies, are not very good at noticing that one is a satire and one has the writer realizing while writing it that the whole thing wouldn't end well.
You should unfortunately take the 'went over their head' people very seriously.

Sephzilla

That re:view makes me want to watch Starship Troopers again. The first time I watched that movie I didn't "get" it, but then I watched it again like 5 years later and it "clicked" and I fucking loved the movie. It's probably second to RoboCop in terms of favorite Verhoeven movies. I do think the third act is the weakest part of the movie, though.

Man, that love square really is fucking depressing though lol

I'm watching the Star Trek reviews for the n-th time again and I still love them, despite never watching any of the movies. Insurrection feels a bit nit-picky at some points, but I love that the earlier reviews are not filled with shitty gimmicks, like the later reviews.

I'm watching the Star Trek reviews for the n-th time again and I still love them, despite never watching any of the movies. Insurrection feels a bit nit-picky at some points, but I love that the earlier reviews are not filled with shitty gimmicks, like the later reviews.

Insurrection was the least terrible but also had the most glossed over 'why?' moments.

They really did try to make it like a show two parter, but without any of the quality in writing shooting acting or tone that elevated the show.

Cheerilee

Insurrection was the least terrible but also had the most glossed over 'why?' moments.

They really did try to make it like a show two parter, but without any of the quality in writing shooting acting or tone that elevated the show.

Generations and First Contact were Hollwood trash from a group of people that were not assembled for their ability to make Hollywood trash.

Michael Piller tried to save the TNG movies by going back-to-basics and trying to make a great two-parter, but he encountered resistance from all around him as everybody else wanted to be making Hollywood trash.

Sanjuro

Previously Recorded
‏@PreviouslyRec

We are streaming wrestling games tonight with special guest Josh… you might know him from being Josh. Starting around 6:30pmCSTish.

Nice!

Top Bottom