• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

Geeky

Murder She Tweeted should happen.

They should make a bunch of trailers based on Mike's dumb ideas(Silent Screams, The Inside)

I am surprised they went to see MMPR since they didn't care for the old show and nothing would have appealed to them. They have kind of shown restraint on not seeing movies they don't care about.

I am also surprised that there was no Heisenberg references.

They should make a bunch of trailers based on Mike's dumb ideas(Silent Screams, The Inside)

I am surprised they went to see MMPR since they didn't care for the old show and nothing would have appealed to them. They have kind of shown restraint on not seeing movies they don't care about.

I am also surprised that there was no Heisenberg references.

I still think there best "we know nothing about this" review was for the final Twilight film.

Fat4all

Banned
Man Mike's on fire this episode. Lol Jay can't keep a straight face the entire time.

I love that Mike made a big deal about writing the intro to talking about Power Rangers and Jay keeps loosing it because it just one line.

And not only is it one line, it's the same one line joke Mike has been using for like 10 years, and it still cracks Jay up.

I won't be able to listen to this until later, but give it to me straight boys and girls. Quick and short. How did the guys like power rangers?

My guess: Jay saw moments of potential but didn't like it, Mike goes easier on it but doesn't glow either, and if Rich is around he hates it like it kicked his dog because he hates everything and his heart is cold and dead.

ultracal31

You don't get to bring friends.
I won't be able to listen to this until later, but give it to me straight boys. Quick and short. How did the guys like power rangers?

My guess: Jay saw moments of potential but didn't like it, Mike goes easier on it but doesn't glow either, and if Rich is around he hates it like it kicked his dog because he hates everything and his heart is cold and dead.

You're more or less spot on

Think we watch them too much when we can correctly guess what they'll say

Sanjuro

I won't be able to listen to this until later, but give it to me straight boys and girls. Quick and short. How did the guys like power rangers?

If Rich is around, Power Rangers would have ruined his life.

He might even be dead like Axe Landis.

imBask

Banned
I had never, ever heard of Chips until this movie. I thought it was some Reno 911 or Super Troopers remake.

2BDu0Xg.png

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm 37. I remember CHiPs reruns used to come on after whatever I was watching in my early teen years. I never actually watched it but I knew what it was. It was big back then. It was even parodied on That '70s Show.

Cheerilee

I disagree with Mike and Jay on respecting the source material.

Mike apparently doesn't know the Power Rangers source material (that's fine). He says he's going to judge the movie on it's own merits, and he judges it harshly (also fine). But then he says that if anyone says the movie did justice to the source material, they should kill themselves. That's where I disagree. I don't know if the Power Rangers movie did justice to the source material or not (I wasn't particularly into Power Rangers and I haven't seen the movie), but a "Power Rangers movie" has two obligations, one, it has to be a good movie, and two, it has to be a good Power Rangers movie. This is true of any licensed IP. They're a shortcut for creatively-bankrupt Hollywood, but once you go that route you have an additional set of obligations, and if you don't like those obligations you should be working with new IP.

Then Jay chimes in saying that it's okay to hate the new Transformers movies for being terrible movies, but it's not okay to hate them for shitting on the IP, because the IP was just a toy commercial and therefore it has no artistic value. As a fan of the old Transformers cartoons, I strongly disagree with that.

Then Mike says that the Star Wars/Star Trek IPs need to be respected in their Hollywood adaptations, because the Star Wars/Star Trek IPs are different... somehow... in Mike's opinion. It's just a terrible argument.

I disagree with Mike and Jay on respecting the source material.

Mike apparently doesn't know the Power Rangers source material (that's fine). He says he's going to judge the movie on it's own merits, and he judges it harshly (also fine). But then he says that if anyone says the movie did justice to the source material, they should kill themselves. That's where I disagree. I don't know if the Power Rangers movie did justice to the source material or not (I wasn't particularly into Power Rangers and I haven't seen the movie), but a "Power Rangers movie" has two obligations, one, it has to be a good movie, and two, it has to be a good Power Rangers movie. This is true of any licensed IP. They're a shortcut for creatively-bankrupt Hollywood, but once you go that route you have an additional set of obligations, and if you don't like those obligations you should be working with new IP.

Then Jay chimes in saying that it's okay to hate the new Transformers movies for being terrible movies, but it's not okay to hate them for shitting on the IP, because the IP was just a toy commercial and therefore it has no artistic value. As a fan of the old Transformers cartoons, I strongly disagree with that.

Then Mike says that the Star Wars/Star Trek IPs need to be respected in their Hollywood adaptations, because the Star Wars/Star Trek IPs are different... somehow... in Mike's opinion. It's just a terrible argument.

I understand the point they were trying to make

Star Wars, Star Trek, Ghostbusters, etc are IP that were made to be films/tv shows and when they were hugely successful got massive toy lines for the fans.

Transformers, GI Joe, etc are IP designed to be a toy line that ended up getting cartoons that were designed to push the toy lines but had creators/writers to push them to be something more then just an advertisement show.

I will agree power rangers falls into more of a grey area because of its complicated birth. It's a case where it's harder to tell if they wanted to sell toys based upon super sentai in the west and found a way to localize it, or wanted to localize super sentai and made tons of toys because it was popular.

At the end of the day I do agree with you, even if these series were designed to sell crap to kids first and foremost they have evolved into being more then just that. Throwing the fanbase under the bus if they're upset at how you handled the ip if its okay for ghost busters fans to compare and be upset its fair for power rangers fans to do so.

Pretty much echoes my feelings about the game. I like it a little less than either of them because the things that bothered only Rich or only Jack bothered me too. I would happily take a Zelda game in a slightly better performing package that had slightly more dungeon/story and slightly less freedom. Also koroks are dumb as shit and I love dropping their own rocks back on top of their dumb heads.

Kneefoil

Honestly, for the longest time I could not read the game's name as anything else but The Legend of Zelda: Best of the Worst when it was abbreviated. I've finally gotten over it, though.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i clicked that video and was like "why the hell is this an hour. they dont actually just talk about it for an hour do they? are they doing something different? best of the worst parody or something"

they just talk about it for an hour. i dont even know why it was so long?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
i clicked that video and was like "why the hell is this an hour. they dont actually just talk about it for an hour do they? are they doing something different? best of the worst parody or something"

they just talk about it for an hour. i dont even know why it was so long?
Well, it's a good game. A big game. There's a lot to talk about.

Should I watch? I don't want to spoil myself on big stuff since I don't have one yet, but I've also already been watching the Grumps and ProJared play it so I'm conflicted. I can't resist. I still haven't even spoiled myself on Skyward Sword. I'll finish that one day I swear...

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks

Should I watch? I don't want to spoil myself on big stuff since I don't have one yet, but I've also already been watching the Grumps and ProJared play it so I'm conflicted. I can't resist. I still haven't even spoiled myself on Skyward Sword. I'll finish that one day I swear...

It's informative if you know nothing like me. I don't think it was particularly funny though.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking

Jack has 65 hours into the game while Rich has 125. They go over some broad strokes and give a few examples of things they did in the game.

I think it best not to watch if you don't even have the game. BOTW is one of those games you will kick yourself for spoiling because it's all about discovery.

Main spoiler-free takeway if you're curious:
They both enjoyed it a lot. Rich seemingly more so, calling it probably his Game of the Year. They spend most of the time drilling down the flaws but in the end they say those elements in no way hinder the overall wonder of exploration the game imparted.

I like Rich and Jack but I don't find that they can carry a show let alone one that can now apparently have super long episodes. I would prefer a show that forces Mike to play and review games against his will

I like Rich and Jack but I don't find that they can carry a show let alone one that can now apparently have super long episodes. I would prefer a show that forces Mike to play and review games against his will

Do you really want that, cuz it would just be Mike going "This is like that one Star Trek episode where"

Top Bottom