• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Red Redemption 2 coming to PC November 5th

Coflash

I played 11 Assassin's Creed games on PC with a gamepad since it supposedly played better that way. Then I did Odyssey with a KB+M and it was brilliant. I won't ever be going back to gamepads for those sort of games.

The only thing I'd prefer a gamepad for is variable speed control. But this is because devs get lazy and don't allow KB+M to work properly. For example - once upon a time, in Splinter Cell, you could change the movement speed with your scrollwheel. It was very intuitive and useful. These days they just give you a one-speed-fits-all and maybe a sprint key.

BlackTron

wrong on both accounts. Near impossible to play fighting games? Why? The functionality of the keyboard is exactly the same as a gamepad for this. They're completely neutral. Theres no advantage or disadvantage. Theres literally nothing, not a single thing that a controller does extra over a keyboard. This is another myth that propagated without merit.

The biggest myth is about platformers. Which are actually BETTER on a keyboard. Its not even difficult. Take a controller in your hand. How do you use the dpad? You have the thumb which needs to activate the four buttons that form the dpad. And your right hand for the action buttons. Now place your hand over the arrow keys on a keyboard. How does it sit? THREE fingers over the buttons at all times and a miriad of keys for every function imaginable reserved for your left hand. Platformers on a keyboard have increased functionality over a gamepad and offer BETTER controlls over gamepads.

M/kb isnt better for games with guns. Thats a side effect. Theyre better for every game with free camera controll. Which is near every game in every genre. They offer faster and better functionality in all aspects of a game's design. You can access everything in a game faster and better. Better, faster and broader access to a game's functions. Its a better tool in near every instance.

Ummmm.

I'm a mouse/keyboard crusader. The Xbox 360 was almost irrelevant to me because its flagship genre (FPS) was dog shit with a gamepad. I watch in dismay and disgust as people buy $400 game systems with $60 games plus costs of DLC so they can play a game which they don't even know they can't control properly.

I find it INSANE.

But it's even more insane than that to propose that mouse/keyboard is better than a controller for platforming games. The above example makes about as much sense as suggesting that you drive with two feet so both the gas and brake has a foot on it at all times. BETTER CONTROL, AMIRITE?

I cannot fathom that the person who wrote this ever actually beat any 2D or 3D Mario or Sonic in his suggested fashion. It sounds like someone who tested a keyboard in Green Hill Zone Act 1 for two minutes and said "yep, it's better!"

In a 3D platformer, where 3D movement accuracy is critical, what are you going to do? Move using the arrow keys and control the camera with the mouse?

Go back to school and play Super Mario 64, then try again.

wrong on both accounts. Near impossible to play fighting games? Why? The functionality of the keyboard is exactly the same as a gamepad for this. They're completely neutral. Theres no advantage or disadvantage. Theres literally nothing, not a single thing that a controller does extra over a keyboard. This is another myth that propagated without merit.

The biggest myth is about platformers. Which are actually BETTER on a keyboard. Its not even difficult. Take a controller in your hand. How do you use the dpad? You have the thumb which needs to activate the four buttons that form the dpad. And your right hand for the action buttons. Now place your hand over the arrow keys on a keyboard. How does it sit? THREE fingers over the buttons at all times and a miriad of keys for every function imaginable reserved for your left hand. Platformers on a keyboard have increased functionality over a gamepad and offer BETTER controlls over gamepads.

M/kb isnt better for games with guns. Thats a side effect. Theyre better for every game with free camera controll. Which is near every game in every genre. They offer faster and better functionality in all aspects of a game's design. You can access everything in a game faster and better. Better, faster and broader access to a game's functions. Its a better tool in near every instance.

You obviously never played a fighting game in your life, or you suck at them. I dare you do a Magneto rom infinite with a keyboard, post a video showing it, and then come back here and brag how you were right, or else your just full of shit. Don't know what a rom infinite is? Don't worry you're not alone.

Mattyp

Gold Member

Both these are so wrong and you would loose badly to anyone playing with a controller. Have you ever used a modern controller at this point? Any controller from NES up is better at platformers. Fighting games any modern controller ----------------> Daylight -----------------> Keyboard and mouse.

The above example makes about as much sense as suggesting that you drive with two feet so both the gas and brake has a foot on it at all times. BETTER CONTROL, AMIRITE?

Well, on cars that don't have a clutch pedal, being able to use both feet can actually be an improvement (keeping downforce, correcting speed, etc.).

That's why there are many instances in manual transmission cars in which you have to use one feet on two pedals at the same time.

Wrong analogy.

BlackTron

Well, on cars that don't have a clutch pedal, being able to use both feet can actually be an improvement (keeping downforce, correcting speed, etc.).

That's why there are many instances in manual transmission cars in which you have to use one feet on two pedals at the same time.

Wrong analogy.

Ok, ok. I drive an automatic and way back in driving school, the first thing the instructor told me was not to pay attention to how he drives with two feet because it was all wrong but he was set in his ways lol.

Maybe it's a bad analogy, but the idea I was getting at is that in a platformer you're not going to want to press left and right at the same time, despite that on a keyboard its possible but not on a d-pad. My idea was you don't want to be hitting the brakes and gas at the same time either.

If there are applications for that outside of my apparently limited driving experience, then I'm wrong.

Ok, ok. I drive an automatic and way back in driving school, the first thing the instructor told me was not to pay attention to how he drives with two feet because it was all wrong but he was set in his ways lol.

Maybe it's a bad analogy, but the idea I was getting at is that in a platformer you're not going to want to press left and right at the same time, despite that on a keyboard its possible but not on a d-pad. My idea was you don't want to be hitting the brakes and gas at the same time either.

If there are applications for that outside of my apparently limited driving experience, then I'm wrong.

As a petrolhead and an amateur racer I had to chime in.

Still, in a plaftormer having two fingers on both directions could prove benefitial, maybe? WASD has this advantage over a d-pad or anything else.

I don't know, I've always been an arcade and pc gamer, so I'm basically agreeing with you.

To the point that in some fps I'd like to have a gamepad for movement together with my mouse for aiming.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
So if we buy the Steam or Epic Store versions we’ll still have to install the Rockstar launcher?
Basically, when you click "Play" in Steam that launches the Rockstar Launcher which works in the background mostly to launch the game. This happens instead of Steam directly launching the game. There's just a "middleman". You might see a small splash screen for Rockstar Social Club and need to log in but then it just loads straight into the game. Once you've put your account details in that's it. You don't need to manually log in every time. It does it all automatically.

The Rockstar Launcher (through Steam at least) is just a launcher and not a client you need to deal with. It won't even appear in your start menu. It's really not that big a deal compared to some other games.

^^^ i'm just basing that on my experience with GTA V. they might change their approach with RDR2. nobody knows yet.

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned
GTAV was unplayable on consoles for me due to the input lag that all systems experienced. The PC version is one of my favorite games ever as the input lag is gone (or at least heavily mitigated by the higher frame rate). RDR2 suffers the exact same input lag, and it makes me hate the game. Here is hoping the PC version fixes it just like it did for GTAV
I have tested GTA5 on pretty much all platforms. PS4 and xbox one version indeed are very laggy, and without auto-aiming it was hard to aim, but on PC, xbox 360 and PS3 input lag was never a problem for me. In fact I was amazed how easily I could aim in x360 and PS3 versions even during framerate dips. I dont know why PS4 and xbox one version is so laggy, but maybe it has something to do with forced v-sync.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i may end up playing this K+M, not too sure. the camera control you have with a mouse is really nice, especially in a cinematic game like this.

raduque

Nice. It was never in any doubt. Just a matter of time.

Disappointing that it's not coming out on Steam until December though. Can go fuck themselves if they think I'm buying it from Epic.

No matter where you buy it, you're still going to need the Rockstar Launcher to play it.

raduque

yeah i know....
So why wait for Steam if you're gonna pay full price? (Assuming it'll be more heavily discounted on a Steam Sale vs RSL)
Unless the steam version comes with a hand job I think most people are fine playing it on any platform. Unless of course it's windows store.
I like Windows Store - Xbox Game Pass for PC is literally my new favorite thing. Also, if you're having issues downloading from the Store, check your Windows Update services and settings. If they're incorrect or wrong/misconfigured, it'll throw off downloads. Xbox maxes out my connection when downloading games.

You don't get it if you have it on steam already .. Cheap Rockstar ... :messenger_pouting:
me trying to get it ...

I just redeemed it and it worked fine - I have all the GTA games (less V, cause I'm not double-dipping till it's $10) on Steam and my Steam account linked to Rockstar Social Club.

Last edited:

sendit

So why wait for Steam if you're gonna pay full price? (Assuming it'll be more heavily discounted on a Steam Sale vs RSL)

I haven’t heard one valid argument in why one person would choose to wait other than to follow the herd of people saying fuck you to Epic.

Stuart360

I haven’t heard one valid argument in why one person would choose to wait other than to follow the herd of people saying fuck you to Epic.
Epic are scumbags and the Epic Store sucks?. Plus the Rockstar launcher is fucked for me. I forgot my password so did the thing where it sends you an e-mail to change it, the e-mail never comes, ever. I have paid for GTAV and cant play it.

Tygeezy

I like Windows Store - Xbox Game Pass for PC is literally my new favorite thing. Also, if you're having issues downloading from the Store, check your Windows Update services and settings. If they're incorrect or wrong/misconfigured, it'll throw off downloads. Xbox maxes out my connection when downloading games.

I just redeemed it and it worked fine - I have all the GTA games (less V, cause I'm not double-dipping till it's $10) on Steam and my Steam account linked to Rockstar Social Club.
I have messed with all the settings including making ref edits to increase the speed. That seemed to help for a bit and then went slow again.

Game pass is a great service but windows store is still pretty shitty. Not being able to play the dx11 version of Metro is king of my complaints. Why is there a good reason for this?

Murr

Very nice. Very interested in this game, but i will wait for Steam release. Hopefully it will have Workshop support.

sendit

Epic are scumbags and the Epic Store sucks?. Plus the Rockstar launcher is fucked for me. I forgot my password so did the thing where it sends you an e-mail to change it, the e-mail never comes, ever. I have paid for GTAV and cant play it.

Thanks for validating my point. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

raduque

I have messed with all the settings including making ref edits to increase the speed. That seemed to help for a bit and then went slow again.

Game pass is a great service but windows store is still pretty shitty. Not being able to play the dx11 version of Metro is king of my complaints. Why is there a good reason for this?

Metro won't let you change the API after the game is running? I swore I was able to flip between them. Are you playing through the Windows Store or the Xbox apps? Because I'm playing through the Xbox app.

Stuart360

Thanks for validating my point. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Well they are pretty valid for me, seen as though i cant use one of them, and cant even use the Epic store since it updated. Cani install prerequistes, no matter what i do. Its a common problem if you Google it and fixes work for some people, not for others.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
really dont care what launcher it shows up on. i don't work for any of these companies, they are just icons i click on and see an interface for 5 seconds before the game starts. i have Steam but if i can play it a month early i'll do that.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Another faceless Rando Letter poster said:

Significantly better client features. YMMV on that dependent on how much of a friendless misanthrope you are.

lukilladog

If that is a valid reason, then all reasons are valid lol.

As for this game, I think it´s very important to wait for Steam if you support and want mods for it. We know Rockstar will think twice about blocking them if such thing can be reflected on consumer reviews 🤭

Last edited:

Siri

Banned
I’ve never owned a console, but I spent fifteen minutes playing the first Red Dead at a friend’s house, and loved it. When Red Dead 2 was released last year I did a total blackout and didn’t even read any reviews.

I’m really excited about this and I guess I’m finding it a little weird that the general reaction seems to be so.... negative.

really dont care what launcher it shows up on. i don't work for any of these companies, they are just icons i click on and see an interface for 5 seconds before the game starts. i have Steam but if i can play it a month early i'll do that.

High five, bro.

Last edited:

scalman

there are new games in november to play so this wont be game to buy because i have it on PS4 Pro and itsd almost perfect there allready, but later when mods will appear i will take it .

sendit

If that is a valid reason, then all reasons are valid lol.

As for this game, I think it´s very important to wait for Steam if you support and want mods for it. We know Rockstar will think twice about blocking them if such thing can be reflected on consumer reviews 🤭

I think you’re misunderstanding. Regardless of what store front you buy
The game from, it will require the Rockstar launcher.

Last edited:

SweetShark

Already finished this on PS4, I'm gonna have the game for free since we had a bet with a friend, I was certain that the game would be released on pc in 2019, he thought he would never be on the master race system, the loser buys a game to another.

Today is a great day !

Don't laugh so early cause your friend will get revenge and buy the game to a launcher you didn't wanted.

As for me no problem with the launcher obviously.
If a game is working is fine by me.

scalman

i played all AC games that there is and most PC games with keyopbard mouse and now im not using keyboard mouse for playing on pc for last 4-5 years at all. only if some wierd stuff comes up ... DS4 controller just does all it even can emulate mouse on touch pad

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
i played all AC games that there is and most PC games with keyopbard mouse and now im not using keyboard mouse for playing on pc for last 4-5 years at all. only if some wierd stuff comes up ... DS4 controller just does all it even can emulate mouse on touch pad

After years of people shit talking playstation controller during ps3 years I am glad more people see the light.

scalman

sure i have x1 controller and DS4 with console. i used X1 controller a lot but it broke ... its very good for those trigger vibrating games as forza where you can have vibrations in triggers... but now im using DS4 same on ps4 pro and on pc with cable , so when i connect it to pc its DS4 controller for all PC games and its charging and then when i remove it from cable and press PS button it becomes PS4 controller. win win. its very comfy and both console have best controllers for pc gaming for sure.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Don't laugh so early cause your friend will get revenge and buy the game to a launcher you didn't wanted.

As for me no problem with the launcher obviously.
If a game is working is fine by me.

Since I'm far from my PC until early january because of my work, I'm fine with waiting for the Steam release. And I already told him that I wanted it on Steam (but honestly as far I don't get it on the EGS, it does not matter to me).

Phase

i may end up playing this K+M, not too sure. the camera control you have with a mouse is really nice, especially in a cinematic game like this.
Def k+m barring any mouse lag issues. Anyone talks back to me in this game and they're six feet under lol.

Shai-Tan

Banned
i remember in rdr1 it was all snap to auto aim and the slow-mo modewhich wasnt that fun. i enjoyed gta5 with a mouse but im not going to judge the people who dont care

scalman

now i looked back at some RDR2 screens from my PS4 Pro and i just wonder will it look better in textures ... i mean it allready look mind blowing
DqhIFUVWsAAcl7I

i think maybe even TLOU 2 wont have those details on faces and clothes ...

Last edited:

Skyr

i remember in rdr1 it was all snap to auto aim and the slow-mo modewhich wasnt that fun. i enjoyed gta5 with a mouse but im not going to judge the people who dont care
Well I played through both RDR1 and RDR2 with free aim. They are imo prolly the hardest shooters out there to play with a controller in free aim, as when you are aiming from a horseback it goes from hard to nightmarish hard.

I have to say tho that it actually added to the experience in a way as you for sure wouldn't hit shit shooting from a horse that's running at full speed in real life.

Of course you still have deadeye which feels like cheating but I tried to use it as scarce as possible.

I actually thought that playing GTA5 with mouse and keyboard almost felt too easy and that the singleplayer part was more designed for a controller.

Now for the multiplayer part of RDR 2 on PC I will definitely use mouse and keyboard.

Coflash

RDR1 always has uses some form of auto aim. I did a test years ago (and made a video of it). You can use your rifle to shoot at anything with pinpoint accuracy (like a wall), but if you aim near enough a target it'll always hit them. Like most console games there are multiple levels of aim assist and turning it 'off' only disables it to a degree

Skyr

RDR1 always has uses some form of auto aim. I did a test years ago (and made a video of it). You can use your rifle to shoot at anything with pinpoint accuracy (like a wall), but if you aim near enough a target it'll always hit them. Like most console games there are multiple levels of aim assist and turning it 'off' only disables it to a degree
Pretty sure that free aim was 100% unassisted so I would love to see how you come to that conclusion.

Coflash

By taking videos, slowing them down and comparing how weapons act against static objects vs moving targets, for example. Whenever it was a moving target the weapon would suddenly behave differently and take them out if the shot was close enough. The only thing that I couldn't get it to assist with was when you aim at the noose of someone hanging

Top Bottom