• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Steel 2 in Nintendo Power (Red Dead Steel)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Dash Kappei said:
I didn't understand if M+ will be mandatory to play the game like for Wii Sports Resort or if it'll be something optional that you can use to add to the experience... I'd really prefer the former, but I don't really have that much hope that would be the case.

I don't see how Wii Sports Resort wont have mandatory M+ requirements. There are, as far as I'm aware, no plans to release it without the bundle. The package is basically a souped up tech demo anyway. What's the point of game's like sword fighting and what-not if they won't even work with a standard controller?

Some games will obviously be M+ option, like GST, Tiger Woods, and Virtual Tennis, but Sports Resort will absolutely require M+ and from the sounds of it so will Red Steel 2.

Neomoto

Dash Kappei said:
Thanks Neomoto, I'll add that to the M+ Discussion thread if you don't mind.

I didn't understand if M+ will be mandatory to play the game like for Wii Sports Resort or if it'll be something optional that you can use to add to the experience... I'd really prefer the former, but I don't really have that much hope that would be the case.
Sure, I don't mind at all.

I too don't understand if M+ will be mandatory. Nothing in the ONM article mentioned anything about it either way. I don't see how this would be played without M+, maybe with predefined motions (but then it wouldn't really be swordfighting but more like RS 1, and would surely got a mention in the article if something like that would be the case). I hope it's mandatory and will be bundled with the game.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
New information
- Cannot cheat the game
- Can’t just sit down, waggle Wiimote with short/sharp motions
- When you quickly waggle the Wiimote, that will translate to a quick slice in-game
- Need to actually try to deal out big damage
- Sword also used for defense (thus better than a gun during combat)
- There will be instances where you will have to deal with multiple enemies
- Still use B button + pointer to shoot
- Reconfirmed that you can pull off sword + gun combos
- Passing through near-future desert town (Aldera)
- Architect is a mix of East and West
- Hero is mysterious at the beginning
- Hero is a take on Clint Eastwood character in the Dollars movies
- Nameless, faceless, friendless at the start
- Pretty powerful from the beginning of the game
- There will be plenty of variety in missions
- Need greater thought/skill against bosses
- Objectives connected to the hero
- Different levels of blocking as you progress

http://www.nintendoeverything.com/?p=15483

sounds pretty awesome so far - can`t wait for a trailer...

plank

- correct angle and force of a swing are important
- you can enter an options menu that allows you to change the force necessary to perform powerful swings
- flick Wiimote to pull out sword
- quick on-the-fly weapon switching, no inventory
- quick-time event for enemy parry, when the situation comes up
- once you fire a shot, enemies will charge you
- yellow indicator is always present on screen
- there are different weapons, such as a shotgun
- seems that weapons will be upgradeable somehow
- block bullets with your sword
- if you start the game without the MotionPlus accessory, the screen will stay black and the game won’t progress
- Setting: eastern influences mixed with wild-west america set in the near-future
- other areas in the game will also show Asian influence
- art direct flew to Japan and took about 6,000 pics in order to get a good feel for the design approach
- main character is the only one able to accomplish the task of saving the world
- a warlord is the main villain
- more that 15 different enemy types
- no one from the first game returns
- some enemies will have heavier armor and bulletproof vests
- at least 5 bosses
- story development came last, gameplay was first
- 30% linear, 70% free-roaming within massive levels
- 70% huge free-roaming levels in which you receive new missions via radio
- choose the missions you want
- destroy barriers with Katana moves you learn later
- 6 enemies maximum at once
- as of right now, the game has 10+ hours of content

From that band Nintendo site.

jrricky

Banned
plank said:
- correct angle and force of a swing are important
- you can enter an options menu that allows you to change the force necessary to perform powerful swings
- quick on-the-fly weapon switching, no inventory
- quick-time event for enemy parry, when the situation comes up
- once you fire a shot, enemies will charge you
- yellow indicator is always present on screen
- there are different weapons, such as a shotgun
- seems that weapons will be upgradeable somehow
- block bullets with your sword
- if you start the game without the MotionPlus accessory, the screen will stay black and the game won’t progress
- Setting: eastern influences mixed with wild-west america set in the near-future
- other areas in the game will also show Asian influence
- art direct flew to Japan and took about 6,000 pics in order to get a good feel for the design approach
- main character is the only one able to accomplish the task of saving the world
- a warlord is the main villain
- more that 15 different enemy types
- no one from the first game returns
- some enemies will have heavier armor and bulletproof vests
- at least 5 bosses
- story development came last, gameplay was first
- choose the missions you want
- 6 enemies maximum at once
- as of right now, the game has 10+ hours of content

From that band Nintendo site.
WONDERFULL

Blizzard

Banned

Was considering buying before, DEFINITELY buying it now, even if it turns out terrible. :D

markatisu

Scrubking said:
More confirmation that the game is just 1 or 2 guys on screen at a time.

Having just played the 1st one this week there are only ever 4 people at one time, rare levels where there is a lot of shooting going on there may be more but you only ever have to worry about 2 being good enough to hit you.

Meesh

Just read the mag, and being able to block the odd bullet with your sword is rad.

With a 100 people on the dev team, a new art direction which looks to boast all kinds of surreal ass kickery, M+, and the incredible pressure to make a solid game after the first bomb, I think they can pull this off.

scitek

- Can’t just sit down, waggle Wiimote with short/sharp motions

Only two things that might worry me. Hopefully it isn't so sensitive you can ever accidentally pull out your sword when you don't want to, and, though I can see the allure of making a game so intense where you need to stand to play it, I'd like to be able to sit down and play sometimes. Again, I'm hoping you can adjust the sensitivity for big/small swings like in the first game.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Spiegel said:
I don't know if this has been answered yet but can the game be played without Motion+?
Apparently it can't.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Scrubking said:
That info sounds good, but where is it coming from? They post no source. Is this even real?

N-Zone, german nintendo magazine. It`s real, i got the issue too.

MarkusRJR

One thing that still confuses me is that if we can change at any time to your sword, how can you aim the screen (IR) while holding your sword (motionplus)? They always split up the swordplay and gun-play in Red Steel 1 because you can't user IR while using the sword (thus they had the whole "circle arena").

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Spiegel said:
Terrible news

At least I hope that the game will come bundled with M+ because I don't feel like buying WSR or GST

Buy Tiger Woods!

Vagabundo

Spiegel said:
Terrible news

At least I hope that the game will come bundled with M+ because I don't feel like buying WSR or GST

Nintendo would be idiots not to bundle it with this. And Ubisoft would be morans to not let them...

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
You know, since the first game was going for a more casual crowd, the very unique design choices made for this game shows they won't hold back when it comes to gameplay. So I'm confident that this won't be half-assed due to a need to make the game fit a predefined "image" like the original Red Steel. If they want to do something really crazy like a giant sandworm attacking you, they can. Anything goes.

Sadist

Everytime new tidbits come out, I'm getting more excited about the title. I'm really hoping it won't dissapoint me like the first one. Played it last night again for the lulz and it has a few good ideas, but its far to rushed. And really... I hate the word Gaijin with a passion right now.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Ether_Snake said:
You know, since the first game was going for a more casual crowd, the very unique design choices made for this game shows they won't hold back when it comes to gameplay. So I'm confident that this won't be half-assed due to a need to make the game fit a predefined "image" like the original Red Steel. If they want to do something really crazy like a giant sandworm attacking you, they can. Anything goes.

That's true. I would love to kill some non humanoid enemies with my blade and bullets.

pakkit

Banned
The new info trickling in is nice. Motion+ games involve full motion, so of course they aren't going to be "sit down and play games" as that destroys the whole point of Motion+ in the first place (which is why Motion+ will remain an option to developers, and not a necessity).

But, hey, it's a Motion+ game with no Wii Remote only support! Now Amir0x can stop whining. :D

Yaceka said:
One thing that still confuses me is that if we can change at any time to your sword, how can you aim the screen (IR) while holding your sword (motionplus)? They always split up the swordplay and gun-play in Red Steel 1 because you can't user IR while using the sword (thus they had the whole "circle arena").

Hold a button.

Scrubking

http://nintendodpad.com/Welcome/News/Entries/2009/5/12_Red_Steel_2_visual_style_explained.html
Jason Vandenberghe said:
It’s really hard to impress people with realistic graphics on Wii. It’s not impossible. Resident Evil 4 proves you can do it. But it’s really hard. Also, the gameplay experience that we are trying to deliver has a certain arcade-action feel. So realistic graphics won’t feel right.

You see a screenshot of Red Steel 2, and you know it’s a game. We’re not trying to convince you that it’s a movie, because we’re making this for gamers. It’s for them.

SMH

He's right for the most part. Simple graphics without too much detail on the Wii is the choice to go. The best looking games on the Wii are the ones that have a simple aesthetic, like Mario Galaxy. Then look at The Conduit and all the detailed graphics and effects are mostly lost. In some cases there is that weird shimmering effect on enemies. Of course this isn't just limited to Wii games. More simple clean games just hold up better. It's why Wind Waker holds up better than Twilight Princess even though one came out years later.

So do we have any word if Ubi is going to pack in the Motion+ with the game or not? Unfortunately, that's probably going to dictate whether or not I buy the game.

Effect

Not sure if anyone has checked the official site recently but it seems they have a video about the game's controls. http://redsteelgame.us.ubi.com/red-steel-2/ When I saw the E3 trailer for the game I noticed there was a lag in regards to the controls. Based on the controls video it appears that lag is now gone. Though this could very well be an old video and the trailer really wasn't the best presentation of the game. If you haven't seen it you really should. I can't wait for this to come out. :D

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Effect said:
Not sure if anyone has checked the official site recently but it seems they have a video about the game's controls. http://redsteelgame.us.ubi.com/red-steel-2/ When I saw the E3 trailer for the game I noticed there was a lag in regards to the controls. Based on the controls video it appears that lag is now gone. Though this could very well be an old video and the trailer really wasn't the best presentation of the game. If you haven't seen it you really should. I can't wait for this to come out. :D
yeah, that's pretty old...

Bizzyb

Banned
Linkzg said:
He's right for the most part. Simple graphics without too much detail on the Wii is the choice to go. The best looking games on the Wii are the ones that have a simple aesthetic, like Mario Galaxy. Then look at The Conduit and all the detailed graphics and effects are mostly lost. In some cases there is that weird shimmering effect on enemies. Of course this isn't just limited to Wii games. More simple clean games just hold up better. It's why Wind Waker holds up better than Twilight Princess even though one came out years later.

It's not too hard. I mean RE:DSC, Silent Hill:SH and Monster Hunter 3 are all games that impress and use realistic graphics.

EDarkness

Effect said:

Heh, heh. Speak for yourself. I think Twilight Princess looks awesome still. FF X looks awesome, too after all these years. No reason why someone can't make a "realistic" game look good on the Wii.

Top Bottom