• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Storm's (The Division) first VR title leaked - Star Trek: Bridge Crew

Wallach

Picked up from the Oculus subreddit here, it looks like DigitalSpy accidentally posted an early article for an upcoming VR game from Red Storm called Star Trek: Bridge Crew. Judging by the screenshots, it appears to be a 4-player multiplayer game where each player is a different crew member on the bridge of a new Federation starship:

K2aCRhl.jpg

EUGj38y.jpg

r6oaDLa.jpg

OwROnIZ.jpg

Fu50rm9.jpg

C8WjoAe.jpg

The post from Reddit has a cached version of the article which I won't post in full here, but there are a few snippets that give a rough idea of what the idea is:

It's a four-player co-op experience, with you and three mates taking on the various roles of the bridge crew – Captain, Helmsman, Engineer and Tactical Officer. The entire game is mission-based, but you'll need to work together with your fellow Bridge Crew members to make sure you accomplish all the various tasks.

You'll be communicating to each other as you explore, encountering the Klingons and other alien species en route.

The Bridge Crew experience is highly social. That's the type of VR we've been exploring at Red Storm – social VR," explained David Votypka, Senior Creative Director at Red Storm. "Like with Werewolves Within, we really take the tech and apply it to this brand. The social element is already in the DNA of the Star Trek brand.

"They rely on each other. They have to communicate and work together. That dynamic about the brand is like a perfect fit for this technology, where you have that presence. You feel like you're there with other people, but you also get to do it on the bridge of a Federation starship."

Star Trek: Bridge Crew uses hand-tracking and special lip sync technology to make you feel like you're talking to real characters and really are part of the USS Aegis crew.

Probably to be revealed in a few days officially at E3.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
There'd been a rumor going around that Ubisoft was working on a licensed game.

I kind of assumed it was Marvel, but this makes sense too.

antonz

I could see it being popular to a particular audience. I mean back in the day when Star Trek MMO was announced it was basically going to be something like this. Specific people in specific roles.

Probably do better having it in the Prime universe instead of JJs though

collige

Banned
Looks fine graphically except for the early Xbox 360 levels of lens bloom, but I have little interest in either MP VR games or Star Trek. I wonder what platforms it'll be for though.

Jebusman

Banned
multiplayer game = no buy. Just give us an updated Bridge Commander

I mean I love Bridge Commander, but if this functions anything like Artemis Spaceship Bridge Simulator but with the actual Star Trek license behind it, I'm all in. It'll be the thing to push me over into VR.

It really all depends on mission variety, and how much money I'm going to have to shell out for the eventual TNG DLC.

I don't know if I will like multiplayer VR games. I hate voice chat in online games with ransoms and this is necessary. Maybe if I play with gaf.

Wallach

This sounds conceptually awesome.

I'm guessing this will hit all 3 major platforms.

Yeah, I'm pretty down for the idea of this game.

The article mentioned they did not specify the platforms, but it seems like something that would be well suited for PSVR so I suspect this will get announced for at least that if not also Vive and Oculus Touch for this winter.

I wouldn't mind trying this. Sounds very interesting but I'm skeptical of anything (that isn't tried and true) that relies on social elements to be playable. Once that community dies, you may as well delete/put a drink on top of it.

I am sure the majority of games played with ransoms is going to be terrible because they we'll talk shit and some may have music playing and the usual crap you find online. But if you get a group that will role play, address the captain as captain, generally act like a star fleet office then it will be awesome.

I had zero clue Red Storm was still a separate entity within Ubisoft.

Yeah. Small, but they're still there. I think The Division is mostly from Ubisoft's Massive, though. For those that don't know Red Storm was the video game company that Tom Clancy and some business partners started. The original Rainbow Six games were from Red Storm, which was eventually purchased by Ubisoft. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Storm_Entertainment

Krejlooc

Banned
I am sure the majority of games played with ransoms is going to be terrible because they we'll talk shit and some may have music playing and the usual crap you find online. But if you get a group that will role play, address the captain as captain, generally act like a star fleet office then it will be awesome.

Early on, I'm skeptical that people would make the investment necessary to get into a VR MMO, only to... ruin the game for everybody.

Look at the multiplayer games in AltSpace - they've been largely free of the annoyances you talk of.

Wallach

Also isn't this technically their second VR title after the werewolf game?

Oh, is Werewolves Within actually a Red Storm title? For some reason I thought that was a different Ubisoft team; if so feel free to correct the thread title from "first" to "next", I suppose!

Juraash

Star Trek VR bridge game seems cool and I would eat it up. But this looks a little dicey.

I just want good Trek games. Is this too much to hope for?

El-Suave

Great idea - I just hope it plays well without others. The player base for any VR game will be pretty small at first, so betting on co op is risky.

multiplayer game = no buy. Just give us an updated Bridge Commander

And I'm the polar opposite. I love single player games but there's nothing better than a Co-op game to me. When I was playing FTL all I good think about was how much I would love a more complex 3D co-op version.

Allforce

I read the thread title and OP and went "oh man I'm not a huge Star Trek fan but people who are are going to be FREAKING OUT over this, so cool!"

Then I got:
IgMyx.gif

I feel like the audience interested in a multiplayer Star Trek bridge crew game would want it to be set in the prime universe, around TNG era.

Except Huelen

Krejlooc

Banned
I am so fucking in on this. I have 2 VR PCs at my place and two compatible headsets, and one of my buddies in Austin has a VR PC and a VR Headset.

This is going to be incredible.

Considering it will be running on something as weak as the PS4, I'm impressed graphics wise. I think they did a good job, at least how it looks.

Top Bottom