• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redbox exiting video game rental business

Pidull

Honestly, I only ever used it once because of the high rental fee for games. If they had only charged $1-1.50 per day, I would have used it all the time.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
A god damn shame.

For years, Redbox has been my go-to for games I know I'll beat quickly and never re-visit. Even yesterday I recommended Jedi Fallen Order to a co-worker and told him he's better off just picking it up at Redbox over the weekend as it can be finished in 9 hours or so. Even if he keeps it for 3 days, that's still only $9.

SleepDoctor

Banned
It was a nice option but frustrating receiving empty cases with stickers in them. People steal games from it like a muthafucker here at least.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The good old days of going to your local video store and hoping the game you want is in. When its not there going to the counter and hoping that someone just returned it LOL.

Game rentals seems so antiquated. But at least they held on for as long as they could.

Gamefly is still out there. I have it and pay $15 a month. I'd rather do that, than pay $60 for every new game.

I'm going to gamefly Star Wars, Call of Duty, and Control in the this month (or whenever I beat Death Stranding). That's 3 games for $15!!!! You can't beat that.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Before knowing about redbox and gamefly, I never knew such thing existed. Even in the UK this didn’t exists in my time. I think it’s only normal for this to die now cause I assume it’s already dead? Don’t even dare and write omae wa mou shindeiru

MiguelItUp

Oh wow, I just mentioned this earlier today, lmao.

Well, RIP Redbox games. I didn't think it'd last too long considering people are STILL stealing games and selling them. This is why we can't have nice things. Garbage people.

My understanding GameFly still exists, and is still awesome. I haven't bothered with them in years as I'm primarily on PC these days. However, there was a period where I was console heavy, and I LOVED it. Really beat $60 on every released title. Especially around the periods where there were a TON of really good releases.

ExpandKong

Banned
Why is this not surprising (honest question)? Is it really because of widespread theft like y'all are saying? I've never run into that problem in my area. If theft is such a big problem, are movies also affected? Is Redbox as a whole not too far from shutting down, then?

Honestly wondering. I've rented games from redbox with some frequency, and have bought quite a few during sales too. Kinda sucks...don't really want to pay yet another monthly membership thing to get Gamefly.

MiguelItUp

Why is this not surprising (honest question)? Is it really because of widespread theft like y'all are saying? I've never run into that problem in my area. If theft is such a big problem, are movies also affected? Is Redbox as a whole not too far from shutting down, then?

Honestly wondering. I've rented games from redbox with some frequency, and have bought quite a few during sales too. Kinda sucks...don't really want to pay yet another monthly membership thing to get Gamefly.
I honestly never used it too often. I tried renting God of War on PS4 when it was new, I hit up two different Redboxes and the disc was swapped with paper. Got my money back, but at that point I was like welp, I give up. That was just one experience, with one game, on the same day. I'm in Houston, so I can't even imagine how many more experiences there were like that throughout the entire city. Especially with Redboxes being EVERYWHERE.

Also, EVERY time there's a big console release there are quite a few for sale on eBay with no box, booklet, etc. Just the disc. So, it's pretty on the nose where they're getting the discs from, haha.

I suppose it never happened with films that often. Probably since they'd make more money selling a game disc opposed to a movie.

ExpandKong

Banned
I honestly never used it too often. I tried renting God of War on PS4 when it was new, I hit up two different Redboxes and the disc was swapped with paper. Got my money back, but at that point I was like welp, I give up. That was just one experience, with one game, on the same day. I'm in Houston, so I can't even imagine how many more experiences there were like that throughout the entire city. Especially with Redboxes being EVERYWHERE.

Also, EVERY time there's a big console release there are quite a few for sale on eBay with no box, booklet, etc. Just the disc. So, it's pretty on the nose where they're getting the discs from, haha.

I suppose it never happened with films that often. Probably since they'd make more money selling a game disc opposed to a movie.

Damn, that's too bad. Leave it to shitty people to ruin a convenient thing.

Antwix

I work at Redbox. The theft is, of course, very known in the company. We started implementing different kinds of camera/label technology to help with it. Also, in the greater scale of things, redbox is moving towards being a service company. Obviously, physical media is kind of dying nowadays but there are still a TON of rentals being processed especially in rural type settings. Fun fact, this year redbox has partnered with amazon to start servicing their amazon lockers.

Xenon

Game Pass is like a two-day rental. The few times I did went to game I ended up forgetting to return it ended up paying more. Library is a much better option

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
How much is the rent and for how many days?
Well, it used to be $3 per day. So you check it out from the automated kiosk which (hopefully) spits out the disc. Your credit card is on file. When you return it, they charge you $3 x (number of days).

Their system used calendar days though, so it was possible (for example) to rent a game Saturday morning and return it Sunday night and only be charged $3. That was my usual jam for short games.

Mista

Banned
Well, it used to be $3 per day. So you check it out from the automated kiosk which (hopefully) spits out the disc. Your credit card is on file. When you return it, they charge you $3 x (number of days).

Their system used calendar days though, so it was possible (for example) to rent a game Saturday morning and return it Sunday night and only be charged $3. That was my usual jam for short games.
That’s pretty good! Especially in games you’re hesitant to buy. Thank you man

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I never used it. I did the bulk of my renting back in the mid/late 90's and early 2000's. Redbox was convenient because I'd see it at all the gas stations. It was never appealing enough to actually use. Owning a game is much more satisfying. You have to re-rent the game if you wanted to play it and forget about owning DLC. Once you take the game back, you might not want to rent it again. It was a pain in the ass to me. I did Game Fly for Infinite Warfare and it just felt weird going back to renting games. I can see why people use it, but games are so easy to purchase anymore. I also never meet people who rent games. Its become a thing of the past.

One thing I did on PSN was rent movies. I did like that, but movies are a one-and-done type of thing. Games typically give you more than a couple hours worth of content.

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
RedBox is still around?

Top Bottom