• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit bans The_Donald subreddit

Trey

Mar 3, 2010
NYTimes said:
Reddit, one of the largest social networking and message board websites, on Monday banned its biggest community devoted to President Trump as part of an overhaul of its hate speech policies.

The community or “subreddit,” called “The_Donald,” is home to more than 790,000 users who post memes, viral videos and supportive messages about Mr. Trump. Reddit executives said the group, which has been highly influential in cultivating and stoking Mr. Trump’s online base, had consistently broken its rules by allowing people to target and harass others with hate speech.

“Reddit is a place for community and belonging, not for attacking people,” Steve Huffman, the company’s chief executive, said in a call with reporters. “‘The_Donald’ has been in violation of that.”

Reddit said it was also banning roughly 2,000 other communities from across the political spectrum, including one devoted to the leftist podcasting group “Chapo Trap House,” which has about 160,000 regular users. The vast majority of the forums that are being banned are inactive.

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
Didn’t they lock it a few months ago? The last few times I checked it all the posts were mostly old.
Yeah, it was overtaken by mods and basically locked down.

Thedonald.win

Hilariously, they used the excuse that thedonald was advocating violence against police to shut it down, which was absurd even back then as it was so obviously false, but absolutely clown world given the rest of reddit for the past month.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018
LOL.

Media: We are scrubbing social sites trying to delete/ban as many right wing/Trump threads as possible

People: But what about all those left wing sections that are just as discriminatory?

Media: Got to keep them. If we delete those sections they will riot, loot, and by leaving them there it makes them feel better as they are low lifes on an every day basis. These people contribute more web traffic and ad revenue because they are unemployed and spend all their time on social media.

Last edited:

Turnt

Jul 21, 2018
LOL.

Media: We are scrubbing social sites trying to delete/ban as many right wing/Trump threads as possible

People: But what about all those left wing sections that are just as discriminatory?

Media: Got to keep them. If we delete those sections they will riot, loot, and by leaving them there it makes them feel better as they are low lifes on an every day basis. These people contribute more web traffic and ad revenue because they are unemployed and spend all their time on social media.
Someone above did just say the Chapo Trap House one got deleted too.

Liberty4all

Nov 11, 2007
I was active on the_donald .... basically the admins demodded most of the main mods and gave an ultimatum that we had to take on admin approved mods.

So our mods left locked down the community and everyone left. It was for the best, for months the_donald was unfairly quarantined and monitored.

here is the new community and thread discussing

Last edited:

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Seems a bit meaningless at this point then since no one was posting there anymore.
Its for the headlines. Normies will see Reddit, Hate sites, Banned r/Donald and will just make the connection in their marxist melted brains that Donald+hate+reddit.

Just a show by reddit and more fuel on the fire in the fight to deplatform Trump and beat him in 2020.

Sep 14, 2014
Rule 1: Remember the human. Reddit is a place for creating community and belonging, not for attacking marginalized or vulnerable groups of people. Everyone has a right to use Reddit free of harassment, bullying, and threats of violence. Communities and people that incite violence or that promote hate based on identity or vulnerability will be banned.
Marginalized or vulnerable groups include, but are not limited to, groups based on their actual and perceived race, color, religion, national origin, ethnicity, immigration status, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, or disability. These include victims of a major violent event and their families.

While the rule on hate protects such groups, it does not protect all groups or all forms of identity. For example, the rule does not protect groups of people who are in the majority or who promote such attacks of hate.

Some examples of hateful activities that would violate the rule:
  • Subreddit community dedicated to mocking people with physical disabilities.
  • Post describing a racial minority as sub-human and inferior to the racial majority.
  • Comment arguing that rape of women should be acceptable and not a crime.
  • Meme declaring that it is sickening that people of color have the right to vote.
White people and their fucking majority.

Last edited:

Whataborman

Apr 19, 2018
I find it interesting that Reddit cares about "hate speech" (which is now essentially "an opinion I disagree with) but doesn't care about all of the subs dedicated to drug use and other illegal activities.

I wonder how many deaths the drug related subreddits have been indirectly responsible for?

Tesseract

Crushed by Thanos
Dec 7, 2008
The Pentagon
I find it interesting that Reddit cares about "hate speech" (which is now essentially "an opinion I disagree with) but doesn't care about all of the subs dedicated to drug use and other illegal activities.

I wonder how many deaths the drug related subreddits have been indirectly responsible for?
countless / horrendous behavior

so much for containment and the like, good job alphabet 'tards

Nobody_Important

Gold Member
May 22, 2018
Glad that online censorship is the official policy of one of the largest social media sites on the planet

Another stupid and disingenuous post by Nobody_Important Nobody_Important
It's not censorship if they violated the rules. Now if they had followed the rules and done nothing wrong, but still had been banned then you would have a point. But that's not what happened.

But you knew that already and yet you still wanna call me disingenuous lol

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
It's not censorship if they violated the rules. Now if they had followed the rules and done nothing wrong, but still had been banned then you would have a point. But that's not what happened.

More bullshit excuses from our resident corporate bootlicker. Mind you, he can't name a single rule this board, which had been inactive for 4 months, actually broke.

Shodan09

Jan 24, 2018
They destroyed our bodies, our minds. We couldn't handle it. Best friends butchering one another, babies strangled in cribs. The whole of Reddit went to hell

• Fire
Reactions: Tesseract

Nobody_Important

Gold Member
May 22, 2018
More bullshit excuses from our resident corporate bootlicker. Mind you, he can't name a single rule this board, which had been inactive for 4 months, actually broke.

Did you even read the OP?

“Reddit is a place for community and belonging, not for attacking people,” Steve Huffman, the company’s chief executive, said in a call with reporters. “‘The_Donald’ has been in violation of that.”

Last edited:

epicnemesis

May 9, 2008

Genuinely engaging you on this. Does it bother you when rules are enforced for one political ideology but not for others that have more egregious violations?

Or if those rules carry with it an implicit bias?

Shouldn’t things on a platform that is built around open conversations air on the side of free speech, and when intervention is required the rules are enforced based on violation and not based on political leaning?

Piku_Ringo

Gold Member
Jan 24, 2015

Gotta stop you there, pretty sure Nobody_Important Nobody_Important is a connoisseur of nothing but the finest, most tastiest boots worth licking. So dont go knocking it until you tried it. 🖕 :cautious:

zeorhymer

Gold Member
Nov 9, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Snoapes would come out and say: Fact Check, the Donald has posts with hateful messages in them. Therefore Reddit was in the right to delete it.

Of course they don't say that the subreddit hasn't been active in 4 months.

///PATRIOT

Aug 30, 2016

There is a lot of hate speech in subreddits like politics, news, blackpeopltwitter. How come the rules doesnt apply to them?

Nobody_Important

Gold Member
May 22, 2018
Genuinely engaging you on this. Does it bother you when rules are enforced for one political ideology but not for others that have more egregious violations?

Or if those rules carry with it an implicit bias?

Shouldn’t things on a platform that is built around open conversations air on the side of free speech, and when intervention is required the rules are enforced based on violation and not based on political leaning?
I appreciate the genuine attempt to engage so I will be genuine in return. Yes it does bother me. And if Reddit starts banning left wing sub-reddits you won't hear a peep out of me. Same goes for Twitter banning left wing pundits or personalities. If they have broken the rules then yeah in my opinion they deserved to be suspended or even banned depending on the offense regardless of whose "team" they are on. And yes of course rules and laws should be applied evenly regardless of political leaning. They should be unbiased in their writing and their application. The problem is that the people who apply the rules for these places are implicitly biased. Either due to their own political leanings or are concerned with the public image of the company itself. Which leads to a more selective application of the rules. Not in the interest of fairness, but in the interest of image.

With that being said though I would obviously be lying if I said I don't take a certain amount of pleasure in seeing hateful right wing places like The Donald removed from Reddit or people like Alex Jones being banned from YouTube. That's due to my own bias and political leanings though. I have never and will never claim to be unbiased. I lean hard left on about 90% of issues therefore I find joy in the failings of the Right just as much as other people find joy in the failings of the Left. But I don't really see a way around that with the way politics is discussed in the current social climate.

Politics has (for better or worse) become a public theater rather than a mechanism to serve the people. Politicians are more akin to carnival barkers standing on a box trying to get your vote than they are public servants trying to get you help. As a result of this mindset politics in general has become entertainment and that has poisoned the political well for anyone and everyone who drinks from it. It's become a sport rather than a discussion with each side gleefully bragging when their team "wins" and attacking the other side when their teams "loses". And that includes myself. I'm just as guilty as anyone when it comes to that.

From where I sit there is no feasible way for anyone or any business to be truly unbiased in the application of their rules or their opinions. Everyone is going to lean one way or another when it comes to certain issues. Same goes for businesses. It's shouldn't work that way, but it's just the way it is. All we can do is hope it gets better before it gets worse.

Last edited:

bucyou

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2018
and nothing of value was lost, it was pretty cringey when i checked it out a year or so ago, i'd imagine it got worse

reddit in general is a shithole, except for the noodz

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2020
USA
It was basically already dead, but glad it's been made official.
I never would have heard of the subreddit or the website that was spawned from it's ban if it weren't for the reeeeeee around it, and it getting quarantined/banned in the first place. So good job giving The Donald more exposure and probably more members!