It's the Molyneux Cycle.
The media kept that going for about a decade with Molyneux, all the way from Black & White (2001) to Godus (2012), no reason Sean can't expect the same treatment.
- Dev makes insanely ambitious promises, media regurgitates uncritically, fans get hyped.
- Dev fails to deliver, fans are disappointed, media blames dev for overhyping and fans for allowing themselves to get hyped.
- Dev goes quiet, media gets bored and moves on, most fans resign themselves to enjoying what they can about the game.
- Wait a few years, repeat.
A couple of updates/corrections there:
- Molyneux, in one case, did apologise. I think it was for Fable? Like a month after release he came out saying 'Sorry, things didn't make it in, I apologise for talking
- I still think the extent to which Molyneux oversold and exaggerated his games is on another level from Murray. At least the really insane stuff Murray promised (planet sized planets, infinite of them, seamless loading, unique planets and creatures - even if with broad similarities) he actually delivered on. Everything Molyneux promised that was that insane never came to fruition
Fair enough. You just wrote that as if it was a fact. I completely agree. Nobody but their team really knows and we're likely never going to hear the full truth.
Also agreed on the problem. There has been no transparency and it's all just been some obtuse and coy ¯\_(ツ_/¯ -ing.
I wrote it as if fact because I think it's way more plausible than 'he was lying'. Like, infinitely more plausible than that. You'd have to be a sociopathic idiot to go on national TV and entirely fabricate things which were never actually planned to be in your game. I still firmly believe the plans and structures were in the works but they got sliced out. There's no way you'd be that specific about what he said.
They've continued to pretend its a thing up through and post release
They haven't commented precisely on it, though, have they? All they said was "Wow, two players are going to meet" (which is a surreal thing to post) and "NMS is not a multiplayer game".
It's fucking shit and possibly misleading communication but I wouldn't say they 'continued to pretend it's a thing'.