• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit Compiles Definitive List of All NMS Missing Features/False Marketing +Sources

213372bu

Banned
In an effort to to spread awareness, No Man Sky's Reddit has officially created a definitive list of all the missing features, purposeful ambiguity, and lies that have surrounded the messy history of No Man's Sky. It serves as a great example on how game developers purposefully market their games through ambiguous statements and false promises to make a game seem bigger than it is.

Rather than spoil the No Man's Sky OT of a community that discusses the game and their findings, I hope this thread will serve as a great platform to discuss simply the current surroundings of the game, and highlight awareness for future games and how they are marketed.

Be warned, this is a very long read that includes misc. comments thrown in by the NMS Reddit community.

Sauce (again, long read)

Lock if old.

Mod abuse: the original post has been deleted, here's a copy - https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/4y1h9i/wheres_the_no_mans_sky_we_were_sold_on_a_big_list/

8/20:
Take a look at what happens when you try to fly into the sun:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMHvRoq0NZw

Nzyme32

eQftQCo.gif

Femto.

Oof.

Maybe a group of 10 people shouldn't promise so much. To be fair, what did the fans expect by a team of only 10 people?
Correct me if I'm wrong about the team size.

Talax

I'm actually surprised people have that much time on their hands. I barely find time to browse gaf once a day and people are compiling missing features in a video game........not to mention finding the time to play the game for so many hours before compiling this (I'm assuming he played a lot to confirm all that) :eek:

Is it possible that some of these missing elements, like the sand planets, boil down to "we haven't seen it yet" and maybe they are just extremely rare?

DataGhost

Unfortunate, very unfortunate.

I hope that Hello Games will fulfill their promises in the free dlc / patches to come but I fear it may not and fear that they may include the listed features in a paid dlc

Permanently A

Oof.

Maybe a group of 10 people shouldn't promise so much. To be fair, what did the fans expect by a team of only 10 people?

They expected exactly what that team of 10 people told them would be in their game.

Phhhh

IDK, game's still fun. Probably had to cut a lot of stuff to get the game out. Maybe it will come in a future patch.

Noticing corrections being posted as stuff this Reddit poster said wasn't in the game turns out to be actually in the game. I'm sure people will ignore that though.

There's definitely content that has been cut though.

Either way, game is a lot of fun. We're not just talking smack back to each other in the OT.

There are a few minor things people can rebut however it's pretty damning. I'm very pleased the word is getting out about no man's sky though. I mean, they already got my $60 but I do regret it.

Kouriozan

Honestly it kind of sound like feature creep and would have delayed the game for 1/2 more years.
But yes, he should have been more careful about what was said.

DJ_Lae

They really did hype the game up to unbelievable levels. Even in interviews he seems really nervous that people won't like it - and whether he was intentionally misleading or some of the features just became too much to implement properly, the end result is still disappointing.

I'm actually surprised people have that much time on their hands. I barely find time to browse gaf once a day and people are compiling missing features in a video game........not to mention finding the time to play the game for so many hours before compiling this (I'm assuming he played a lot to confirm all that) :eek:

I'm impressed too, for the same reason (and a little bit baffled).

DataGhost

Honestly it kind of sound like feature creep and would have delayed the game for 1/2 more years.

I don't even think 1/2 more years would've helped considering there are performance issues already and adding more of these features may have lead to more.

old

I got my refund. I may buy again much later when they've expanded the game thoroughly. But at just 15 people, that might take awhile. I more expect a few token updates before they move to work on the sequel.

Zedark

Oof.

They were 15 people, but the point still stands, of course. As mentioned earlier, if they promise it, they have to deliver. If they don't, at least disclose it on time: now we are simply conned (well, not me, since I haven't bought it, but people who have, are).

Banned
There can only be two. A master, and an apprentice. Molyneux has found his apprentice in Sean Murray.

True Fire

I've been pointing out these red flags for literally a year and got nothing but flack for it. There's no point celebrating other people's disappointment, but I do hope gamers learn from this.

Oof.

That really doesn't hold up. If they say "This will be in the game" you shouldn't have to wonder if they're lying or "able to do it". They should do what they say they will, and that's that.

Shredderi

well people need to smarten up

it was obvious from the start that they weren't going to deliver on all of these promises

No no no and no. That's not how this works. The order of things is: devs shouldn't lie and deceive. That's what you should advocate first and foremost.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Said it before and I'll say it again.
Molyneux and Wright had great games under their belt. This was pure marketing hype from a largely unproven developer.

SomTervo

True ; but it's odd other things made it in while these things didn't.

Tbh I think it might be more down to a substantial reduction in scope and scale earlier this year due to performance issues. I reckon when they had a late-dev build rolling they might have found out that the game just didn't fit in the ps4 and had to drastically down scale.

Top Bottom