• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit Compiles Definitive List of All NMS Missing Features/False Marketing +Sources

Danlord

Reposting from the OT, some stuff is false. Also, a game in development can change over the course of 3+ years and some of these differences I attribute to that, rather than deceit. Some people don't realise that.

At least a couple are wrong. Coincidentally one just posted above shows there are butterflies;
Animals/Creatures
Butterflies flying around. Doesn't seem like a big thing on its own, but it's something that adds life to an environment.
Just now in the thread;
nomanssky_20160816202q5u3p.png

That planet had lots of crazy wildlife. Almost everything except the Butterflies wanted to kill me though.

Animals and Plants That Eat Meat
GI - "Do the animals eat each other? SM - "Yeah, they do."
I can attest to one above that mentions animals eating others. I shot down a bird to scan it and before I could get to it, one of the big creatures on the planet ate it. I didn't save any video and I've long gone that system to try repeat but it is 100% there.

Another thing I can prove, rivers. This is my own screenshot.

Not to outdo a lot of stuff that's right, though with the Portals I think they do work but aren't easily usable, I encountered one and didn't work but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a way to make it work, we just haven't figured it out yet.

Loudninja

Some of the things on this list are blatantly false, others are clear design optimizations here are my thoughts going through each section with some refutations, and some general comments

- Yes every planet has some amount of plutonium, zinc or titanium, and platinum, but this is probably just because they don't want anyone getting stranded on a planet with no plutonium from which they can never take off. Also there are some extremely rare elements which I've only found on one planet in my entire time playing (~30 hours). It's kind of like in Minecraft, anywhere you dig you're going to find Iron and dirt, but you might not necessarily find Diamonds or Redstone.

- You can totally blow up freighters and I've seen some big fleets of them all locked in combat with pirates. I was able to join either side, and fight. The space combat is pretty lacking admittedly, but this is totally feasible and LOOKS super cool even if it isn't that satisfying to play with my base ship.
- NPCS run on trade routes and you can follow one down all the way to the surface, admittedly it doesn't look like they can land anywhere, but does that really add anything? They're not getting out of their ship anyways, so having a concrete place to find them makes more sense anyways.

- I've seen desert planets, though mine was red

-Planets do rotate, and they explicitly said they toned it down, because people were getting disoriented.
- Flying between star systems manually sounds like a great way to kill myself out of boredom, though admittedly it would be cool to find random stuff floating out in space, I'd much rather they focus their effort on the core gameplay, which as is evident still has more higher priorities than this to address.

No comment, I agree ship customization and flight controls feel underbaked, I hope they address this in the future.

- You could technically play solely in space, I've found all the components I need to upgrade my ship from mining asteroids as well as valuable minerals depending on the system. You could totally walk around and talk to creatures/find everything you need from loot boxes. I wouldn't want to do it but it is technically possible, and pretty damn good if you find a planet that has lots of high valuable items to find.

- Crafting is guided by blueprints, but I know I for sure haven't found all the materials or recipes to construct. I've found TWO compound elements so far and found evidence of at least 4 more, so I think the crafting system is deeper than it appears at first glance. I'm guessing there's stuff hidden no one has seen yet (Atlas Pass V3/Portals anyone?)

I've seen animals eat animals, I've seen animals knocking down trees (not sure if this was a bug though), and I've seen low flying giant eels. These things are pretty rare though, so it's not surprising that people think it's not there. I've spent 30 hours playing and I've seen maybe 1 really large scale creature, and even that was the size of a modest dinosaur.

- There are rivers, I've seen them on a few ocean planets.
- I haven't seen any truly large structures except a giant piece of road that was stuck in the middle of a desert (still only 1 ruin location though), but I also wonder if these might exist around more exotic stars, I've only been to F Class systems so far. For example I saw a picture of a new type of large scale monolith I've never seen on Reddit just today.

Yeah sentinel combat seems to be something you have to opt into except on graviton/venom sac planets, I'm not that upset since the gunplay feels more like a gear check than actually skill based, but I can see why this would disappoint some people. Then again I haven't landed on any high security planets and actually tried to do anything with this.

- I already hate how noisy the system for waypoints is to the point I will never ever scan from my ship, please don't add giant beacons of light.
- Binoculars marking buildings seems to flakily work, very occassionally it will mark what I'm looking at with its actual purpose, but it seems to be very finicky.
- Radio chatter in space in alien languages would be a great addition, seems pretty easy to do too, hope this comes later.
Edit in

DataGhost

Oof.

Maybe a group of 10 people shouldn't promise so much. To be fair, what did the fans expect by a team of only 10 people?
Correct me if I'm wrong about the team size.

Expected what the developers said would be in the game.

I don't think the size of the team matters as we can see with bigger companies that even they may not keep all their promises.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Planets do not rotate on their axis, moons do not orbit their planets, and planets do not orbit a sun. There isn't even a sun, it's just decoration on the sky box. This may be the largest cut element, "solar systems" in the game are only static planets hanging in space. Whether or not you land on the dark or light side of a planet doesn't matter. This may have more wide-ranging effects than just aesthetics, as there were many things said to be governed by the planetary simulation. Planets closest to the "sun" are just as likely to be frozen as the ones furthest away, for instance, which may have messed with all the systems that relied on there being a meaningful distinction there, considering all of those things either seem completely borked, or removed outright (more on that further down.) In terms of player experience, the loss of the simulation meant the loss of dynamic solar systems, which meant everything became little more than a shiny diorama. This is another thing that Sean was talking about just four months ago.

Fantasy space exploration sounds about right.

Bread

Banned
Man I'm glad I didn't pay much attention to the previews and hype for this, I'd be pretty disappointed too looking at that list.

Luckily I really love what's in the game now, and if they keep up with the updates then I won't be too mad at all about the things that they lied about.

Kalren

It sounds like a lot of features were cut and watered down to meet the release date (which was even delayed)

Wow. I am going through that list and there are a few bullshit items.

You can scan planets from orbit yet this list says you can't. What you don't get is the same number of waypoints that pop up. It's usually just one.

One of them complains that the ships don't fly like ships. They fly like ships to me.

I didn't read the entire post point by point, but in scanning through it, a large number of those complaints boil down to "it didn't end up being as cool as they talked about" as opposed it being completely missing from the game.

"Ship flying more like a ship than in the actual game" - ?

"Yeah, we haven't shown that yet, but yeah. if it's in sci-fi and sci-fi book covers, we kinda need to do it." - Is hardly a confirmation of a feature.

"Different races have different attributes [...] and depending on how I'm playing, I might want to kinda make an allegiance with one or [an]other" - They do though. Each race has different traits and don't like each other. I mean you can want something more grand, but this is actually in the game.

"Large-Scale, Joinable Space Battles Between Factions." - While not exactly ginormous, big space attacks do occur between pirates and freighters. Again, you can nitpick this, but it is in the game to an extent.

"Trade Ships Docking w/ Freighters" - Is this really all that amazing anyway? Complain away though.

"Crafting That Has Complexity" - Excuse me? What constitutes "complexity"? This is highly subjective and wasn't even shown to have much complexity at all anyway.

"Find Elements By Checking Galactic Map" and their quote "If you're searching for an element, a great tool there is the galactic map. The first thing that's incredibly helpful [is] if someone has been to that system before, in visiting it, they'll discover it, and then if they choose to, they will upload that information, and now anyone who goes to that system [...] is going to know more about that systm" is absolutely in the game. There are different system categorizations that you can see on the Galactic Map without having to see what someone else labels it. The different colors of the star represent different rarities of materials and such in that system.

Again, I didn't read the entire thing but there is a lot of filler added in to make the list beefier than it really is.

Permanently A

I've been pointing out these red flags for literally a year and got nothing but flack for it. There's no point celebrating other people's disappointment, but I do hope gamers learn from this.

Remember how just asking "But what do you actually DO in No Man's Sky?" got so many people up in arms?

Jeels

I don't feel good being vindicated, and I wish the best to the team, but I knew this game was not up to par and wasn't what anyone though tit was the moment it was announced. Even the announcement was a pipe dream, but years after they hyped it up even more. I was so surprised when it was announced as a full price title too. When a team of just a few announce a game based on a vision without any real gameplay mechanics shown, I'm going to be wary..

I still can't believe people got so hyped on this based on vague promises. I guess the showings/early trailers were cool, but they really really seemed like proof of concepts or something, demos, over anything I'd actually want to play.

You just can't expect a small indie team to make a gmae this ambitious.

213372bu

Banned

The post has been changed to reflect that specific material, and the OP is editing/adding bits of information. A large sum of the list is not invalid though.
I didn't read the entire post point by point, but in scanning through it, a large number of those complaints boil down to "it didn't end up being as cool as they talked about" as opposed it being completely missing from the game.
This post also goes into commentary on a few ambiguities/false marketing for commentary. The thread is multi-purpose in that sense, but it still includes the missing features.

I can attest to one above that mentions animals eating others. I shot down a bird to scan it and before I could get to it, one of the big creatures on the planet ate it. I didn't save any video and I've long gone that system to try repeat but it is 100% there.

I think you were in the other topic? Like, no offense to you or anything, but I need to see actual proof of this. I haven't heard anyone talking about this so it's just kinda weird.

IISANDERII

It serves as a great example on how game developers purposefully market their games through ambiguous statements and false promises to make a game seem bigger than it is.
It also serves as a great example on how no matter how many times this happens, people still can't stop themselves from preordering games or buying them day one.

ironcreed

Banned
LOL. I didn't know it was that bad. Holy shit.

Neither did I. And here I was proclaiming that we were getting exactly what was shown after I first started playing. Boy was I ever in for a surprise after spending enough time with it and seeing all of these revelations. Hello Games is flat out full of shit.

You know, whether or not there's truth to him being some horribly malicious liar, it's kind of sad to see so many people lowering themselves to reveling in the fantasy of Hello Games/Sean Murray personally failing.

Juicy Bob

The stuff about the features we were told and shown from four months ago or less is key.

If you had to cut it because it didn't work or because you're going to include it later, just say that.

Furyous

Oof.

Maybe a group of 10 people shouldn't promise so much. To be fair, what did the fans expect by a team of only 10 people?
Correct me if I'm wrong about the team size.

Sean mentioned recently that the team ballooned to 24 people. I know that's not exactly Ass Creed numbers but nonetheless very impressive considering a AAA game was made by 24 people.

Gator86

Sean Murray right now:
krabs_rag3do.jpg

Hello Games right now:

giphy.gif

I'm fucking dying right now. NMS threads have been a fucking godsend for slow workdays.

Remember how just asking "But what do you actually DO in No Man's Sky?" got so many people up in arms?

Because for many, having to answer that question and/or see that deflated some of their hype, and hype is all that matters. Hell, I've lost track of the number of times I've seen people in OTs complaining that people criticizing the game need to leave the topic. Some people just want an echo chamber of endless hype and positivity about a thing they've decided they're going to like.

The Technical Possibility of Flying Between Star Systems Manually 1 GI: "Could you potentially fly to new solar systems?" SM: "Yes, but nobody's actually done it yet..."

There's no real evidence of this not being in the game, is there?

Trying it would take weeks or months. It's one of those strange things that some mad person will try to prove one day. Unless someone has found an invisible wall?

213372bu

Banned
You know, whether or not there's truth to him being some horribly malicious liar, it's kind of sad to see so many people lowering themselves to reveling in the fantasy of Hello Games/Sean Murray personally failing.

I insist you read the information provided in the OP, I know you said you might not read it minutes after the thread was made, but it's essential to keeping this thread productive and not locked like previous threads.

Thanks.

etta

my hard graphic balls
There's no real evidence of this not being in the game, is there?

Trying it would take weeks or months. It's one of those strange things that some mad person will try to prove one day. Unless someone has found an invisible wall?
Well, if the stars are part of a skybox...

Trumpets

The lack of a working solar system (sun in the center, planets orbiting around it, moons orbiting the planets etc.) is a real shame. You'd think something like that would have been fairly easy to implement compared to procedurally generating whole planets.

injurai

Banned
And all this time I still thought that game sounded boring even with all the promised features.

Murray's hesitance always put a lot of doubt in my mind, but I thought it was a result of an underwhelming game even with the features. But in actuality he was just lying through his teeth ever since the reveal. He has performance anxiety I think, and compulsive lying is his way of trying to get out of that. He dug himself a hole on live stage and did nothing get himself out. Nothing left to respect in hindsight.

Tagyhag

It really is astounding the amount of content that has been taken out or changed.

You can love or hate the game, but you have to agree that it is a different game than was originally hyped up to be.

The more I think about it, No Man's Sky as it exists today kind of feels like the early access version of itself. Like it's on the feature rich, mostly polished side of an EA game, but it's missing the finer pieces of content that would make it feel more rich and deep. By that I mean I assume these are features they planned to put in at some point and probably will some day and the game will feel a lot more complete when that happens.

DataGhost

The lack of a working solar system (sun in the center, planets orbiting around it, moons orbiting the planets etc.) is a real shame. You'd think something like that would have been fairly easy to implement compared to procedurally generating whole planets.

Probably not as easy when you have to simulate every single one in the galaxy.

-Planets do rotate, and they explicitly said they toned it down, because people were getting disoriented.

Proof required. Yes, the patch notes said they "toned down" the effect...we already know they've been less than honest about a lot of other aspects of the game, maybe in Seanspeak "toned down" means "removed completely." There are numerous observations and quotes from players that currently planets do not rotate, nor do they revolve around the sun.

- NPCS run on trade routes and you can follow one down all the way to the surface, admittedly it doesn't look like they can land anywhere, but does that really add anything? They're not getting out of their ship anyways, so having a concrete place to find them makes more sense anyways.

Not an example of something false/wrong. It's just saying "yes it's correct but you shouldn't care," and who are you to say what might disappoint any given person?

- Flying between star systems manually sounds like a great way to kill myself out of boredom, though admittedly it would be cool to find random stuff floating out in space, I'd much rather they focus their effort on the core gameplay, which as is evident still has more higher priorities than this to address.

Same as above

- Crafting is guided by blueprints, but I know I for sure haven't found all the materials or recipes to construct. I've found TWO compound elements so far and found evidence of at least 4 more, so I think the crafting system is deeper than it appears at first glance. I'm guessing there's stuff hidden no one has seen yet (Atlas Pass V3/Portals anyone?)

Again, nothing disproven. The crafting system is no deeper than what you've already experienced.

I've seen animals eat animals, I've seen animals knocking down trees (not sure if this was a bug though)

Proof needed. Animals don't eat animals. They just aggro on them like they would players, and leave the corpses where they sit. If you think you see it happen and can't find the other animal it's due to a glitch and not because it was "eaten." And animals simply clip through foliage.

- I already hate how noisy the system for waypoints is to the point I will never ever scan from my ship, please don't add giant beacons of light.

Yet again, something not in the game that you're just saying you don't want, nevermind others who might want it. Regardless of all else it's still a difference from the game as it had been shown previously.

Overall a very poor rebuttal, attempting to present itself like an imposing list of corrections but half the items leave the Reddit post unchallenged and the rest are suspect.

Top Bottom