• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit Compiles Definitive List of All NMS Missing Features/False Marketing +Sources

Bad7667

Fantasy space exploration sounds about right.

I put my refund in after reading this. The entire premise of the game was to explore a vast universe but when it feels like I'm flying to stationary planets within a skybox that feeling is completely gone, and instead it's just a boring 'survival game' (haven't at any point felt like I was surviving) with some cool flavour text.

Hope it improves and it becomes the game they advertised.

Was thinking about picking this up, but I remember watching some of the videos in that list and they're what piqued my curiosity. If some of the stuff I saw isn't in the game, then I'm not as interested any more.

I'll save my money.

Again, I didn't read the entire thing but there is a lot of filler added in to make the list beefier than it really is.
Yeah, it really seems that way. I'm not going to sit here and tell you that this game is 100% what they built it up to be, but when half of your arguments are "Its not as complex as I wanted it to be" it just seems like you're going out of your way to find faults with it

Sean don't care.

Aze4UXV.gif

well people need to smarten up

it was obvious from the start that they weren't going to deliver on all of these promises

No one should be lying to consumers either. Should be a baseline expectation for most interactions.

As I said in the other thread, is kind of depressing that a journalist wasnt the one to publish this and we had to wait for a fan to do it

It would be good to see investigative journalism happening. Maybe journalists feel like they would be "picking on the little guy" or something. Shouldn't matter.

Loudninja

From Besada
I've seen predators attack herbivores in game. I was in a pack of herbivores when three greyhound sized lizard fucks came creeping and tore into them, and eventually me. We all sprinted like mad to get away.

I've also seen predators just palling around with herbivores, too, so I'm not sure what that says about their handling of the animals other than it's variable.

DataGhost

Yeah, it really seems that way. I'm not going to sit here and tell you that this game is 100% what they built it up to be, but when half of your arguments are "Its not as complex as I wanted it to be" it just seems like you're going out of your way to find faults with it

Please explain which half you are talking about.

megalowho

Again, I didn't read the entire thing but there is a lot of filler added in to make the list beefier than it really is.
My takeaway as well. There are legitimate gripes and disappointments, but there's also aspects of the backlash that feels forced at this point to push a narrative. Surely we all know that games in development are not representative of the final product and can't be shocked - shocked, I tell you - that a game at release doesn't check every feature box that was being worked on at some point. Saying "liar!" and making Sean a meme instead of evaluating the final product on its own merits just feels childish and naive, it's not a valid critique of the game they made.

aeolist

Banned
the worst part to me is that screenshots from the marketing build are on the steam page and they were using that as the demo even just a few months ago

that's ubisoft-style marketing

Probably not as easy when you have to simulate every single one in the galaxy.

Elite Dangerous did it 2 years ago.

I personally feel like it's dumb to hype your game as a galaxy exploration game and then have solar systems be meaningless. Like I posted before, instead it ends up feeling like you're just traveling through different zones of a theme Park MMO rather than different systems.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I didn't know it was that bad. I didn't follow the game as closely as most and thought it was pretty much what I expected and was promised, aside from the MP element.

Was thinking about picking this up, but I remember watching some of the videos in that list and they're what piqued my curiosity. If some of the stuff I saw isn't in the game, then I'm not as interested any more.

I'll save my money.
You could also just watch the copious amount of video of the released game that's on the Internet

DataGhost

My takeaway as well. There are legitimate gripes and disappointments, but there's also aspects of the backlash that feels forced at this point to push a narrative. Surely we all know that games in development are not representative of the final product and can't be shocked - shocked, I tell you - that a game at release doesn't check every feature box that was being worked on at some point. Saying "liar!" and making Sean a meme instead of evaluating the final product on its own merits just feels childish and naive, it's not a valid critique of the game they made.

So you're saying it's fine for a game at release to be like an early access title?

This is basically saying that the game at release is still a game in development because Sean has already stated this isn't the final product as they're going to release dlc as well as "possibly paid dlc".

Glad I didn't get suckered into the hype on this one. I'll wait until it is feature-rich, with fixes to performance on PC, then I'll buy at a deep discount.

Lothars

Yup I agree with you but that feels like most of the criticism, Some of it is definitely valid but there's tons of stuff that's not.

it's going to be fun to see how people continue to defend hello games.
It's exactly the same with a bunch of people hating on the game for not really any valid reason.

That's a shame.

I still wanna give NMS a go cause it looks so beautiful, and it seems like it's worth experiencing at least once. But, maybe this shouldn't have been released as a 60 dollar game.

Hopefully Hello Game's next project will be more successfully realized.

NotBacon

Very disappointing. That being said, it's still very fun and I have no doubt HG will be listening to the community and righting some of these wrongs. They seem very dedicated.

I've been pointing out these red flags for literally a year and got nothing but flack for it. There's no point celebrating other people's disappointment, but I do hope gamers learn from this.

You knew exactly what was going to be in the release version for the last year?....

Hanzaki

Neo Member
I don't know... these NMS shit/hate threads was quite funny for a while but now like every gaf members are creating one. I get it its trendy and shit but its very boring now so pls find some another games finally so we can have some great entertaining threads again :D

thumb

Banned

Read the entire reddit post. They point out that NMS is still being advertised with demo builds that were designed to show off features that no longer exist. Even after release. These builds are not representative of the game that is currenttly being sold.

That's deception.

ironcreed

Banned

But at least Peter and Todd have delivered actual games that were competent, full of content and well received. Hell, Todd still does. But No Man's Sky is a victim of hype it should have never had due to a mix of bullshit marketing and unrealistic expectations. A toxic soup if there ever was one.

You knew exactly what was going to be in the release version for the last year?....

I think there were some signs that the game wouldn't live up to expectations... hard to tell if someone is outright lying about aspects or features though. Especially rewatching some of the IGN first stuff. It's so well produced you want to believe.

But it's a valid critique of the game's marketing, saying a bunch of stuff will probably totally happen but never clarifying that they got cut and apparently using those cut features to promote the game after their removal.

looking forward to the reddit analysis of ffxv :) ...

they reached for the sky, promised the moon, & then the game fell to earth. personally, i'd tempered my expectations, managed to get the game for $40, & am currently continuing to enjoy it for what it is - not quite the experience described, but nuts enough to still be enjoyable...

not the first game to over-promise & under-deliver, & not the last. it's just the way of things, folks. temper your expectations accordingly, & give mad props to those developers that actually deliver on their hype :) ...

DataGhost

Man, I feel so sorry for all the millions of gamers playing and enjoying this game.

They must be miserable. Or they should be.. I dunno.

The game can still be good. Again, as in all threads about this, we're not discussing whether the game is fun to play or not. We're discussing why these features were mentioned similar to the seeing other players thread and why they were cut from the game without being mentioned

megalowho

So you're saying it's fine for a game at release to be like an early access title?

This is basically saying that the game at release is still a game in development because Sean has already stated this isn't the final product as they're going to release dlc as well as "possibly paid dlc".
The game they made is on sale for $60 with more updates to come, like most survival games. Up to the consumer if v1.0 is worth it or not, but at some point you have to ship. That's the nature of the genre. After putting in dozens of hours it does not feel like an early access product to me, it's a complete game that has some glaring omissions and the potential to be even better in the future.

Read the entire reddit post. They point out that NMS is still being advertised with demo builds that were designed to show off features that no longer exist. Even after release. These builds are not representative of the game that is currenttly being sold.

That's deception.
You're being a bit disingenuous here as well. You're talking about the four 1 minute clips that came out over the summer, right? That's what the post references. Those were not produced after release, just because you can still view them on YouTube now that the game is out doesn't mean you get to call them out for that. Again, pushing a narrative of deception when in reality it's much more likely due to poor communication and crunch time priorities between marketing and development.

The game can still be good. Again, as in all threads about this, we're not discussing whether the game is fun to play or not. We're discussing why these features were mentioned similar to the seeing other players thread and why they were cut from the game without being mentioned
Really, cause it seems like a lot of these threads devolve into shitting on the game, calling it boring, refund bragging.

Top Bottom