• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit Compiles Definitive List of All NMS Missing Features/False Marketing +Sources

I'll save my rage about not being able to land on an asteroid or dock with freighters just a bit longer. The game just launched and it's been mentioned plenty of times that there will be significant, gameplay changing content updates.

If I'm going to buy into hyperbolic, speculative conspiracy theories about lies, it's only fair to assume the creators occasionally fulfill their evil promises too.
Then you have to ask yourself and everyone else what is appropriate for a developer to try to sell you: the "dream" of doing all of these amazing things or a product that actually does them?

We make products to sell - not hopes, dreams and intentions.

Don't confuse the two, please.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The thought that in this game you are in a big box with a few planets and when you go to the next system the box just resets with different randomised planets is hilarious to me, after all the talk of this being some huge space adventure

That's exactly how it works.

There isn't even a real star the planets orbit within each "box".

This is still my biggest letdown and I'm even enjoying the game, mostly. It's also, to me, the most serious thing HG deserves criticism for. Having like, space, in your space game, is a pre-requisite for the genre. And Sean was pretty big on this one thing - the game being "not fake" and all. When in reality it's entirely fake.

I'd honestly like to know if a version of the game ever existed in which solar systems had a real layout, and the other stars in the sky were the real positions of the stars in the No Man's Sky galaxy. Or did they really entirely lie about what the game was, and knew they could never make that.

Gator86

I've been having a great time with the game. These little nit picks don't ruin the overall experience. Many of the features I'm sure will be added with patches eventually.

A lot of you need to chill.

This is a shitpost. The topic of the thread is not "is No Man's Sky fun?" Whether you're having a good time with the game or not is completely irrelevant to whether the game was deceptively marketed.

themadcowtipper

Smells faintly of rancid stilton.
This is a shitpost. The topic of the thread is not "is No Man's Sky fun?" Whether you're having a good time with the game or not is completely irrelevant to whether the game was deceptively marketed.
You sound like a typical entitled consumer.....do not talk mean about our barefooted god

Alebrije

Wait..so if I engaged pulse drive in a direction, I'd never leave the box? There is NO actual contiguous universe?

What the FUCK?
images

Gator86

You sound like a typical customer that enjoys a good shakedown by your corporate overloads.

Go one page back for the compiled list of excuses they posted. It's sarcasm. But it's impossible to tell most of the time because people will always stick up for companies trying to fuck them. Doubly so if the face of the company is a bearded, barefoot hipster white dude just living his dreams.

RedSwirl

After playing about 15 hours, yeah, my biggest issue with NMS is that there isn't enough Elite in it.

I'm not saying I want it to be scientific or a simulation, but I went in expecting things like trading, solar systems, and interactions between space ships to be more Elite-like. That stuff wouldn't have really hurt the artistic vision Hello Games had.

This. The game I wanted is the game I'm playing. I hope I never see the day where I lose sleep because the large fleet of freighters isn't as large as previously hinted at (maybe?).

I think it's more than just that people are taking issue with... Not to mention using the term "hinted at" is largely downplaying what actually took place.

gtabmx

Neo Member
Go one page back for the compiled list of excuses they posted. It's sarcasm. But it's impossible to tell most of the time because people will always stick up for companies trying to fuck them. Doubly so if the face of the company is a bearded, barefoot hipster white dude just living his dreams.

My post was pure sarcasm, thought the barefooted God part gave it away

Ah, I must have been looking at the moment between the drops of the post dripping with it. My bad. I'm... I'm... I'm just so angry, you know?

Alienous

A lot of the features seem inconsequential from the perspective of just playing the game, but I'm always happy to see a publisher/developer's feet held to the fire over unachieved and unclarified missing features.

Gator86

Ah, I must have been looking at the moment between the drops of the post dripping with it. My bad. I'm... I'm... I'm just so angry, you know?

I know, buddy. We're all just unstoppable rage monsters picking on a defenseless dev trying to create an infinite universe of possibilities you can see in a couple of hours.

SummitAve

Banned
After playing about 15 hours, yeah, my biggest issue with NMS is that there isn't enough Elite in it.

I'm not saying I want it to be scientific or a simulation, but I went in expecting things like trading, solar systems, and interactions between space ships to be more Elite-like. That stuff wouldn't have really hurt the artistic vision Hello Games had.

I agree to some extent, but Elite could use some NMS in it as well. When Elite came out the game was literally just flying the ship. There was enough complexity in flying and ship systems that it was a game itself. The extremely basic missions and trading that launched with Elite make the NMS grind seem fresh.

I think it's interesting to compare the two, but I think NMS was released with more meat on the bone than even Elite did, which isn't saying much.

themadcowtipper

Smells faintly of rancid stilton.
None the less it's an increasingly bizarre parallel discussion to the one about the actual game.
Why do people feel the need to defend this game in this thread. There is a OT where you confess your love for this game.This thread is for the shady shit that Sean did to promote his game.
I like the game for what it is, but I personally feel it is not the game Sean said it was. It gets old reading how I am a entitled consumer, don't understand how hard and stressful game devlopment is.
Making movies is hard and stressful,but have never seen anyone defend Zack Snyder this much on GAF.

Gator86

Why do people feel the need to defend this game in this thread. There is a OT where you confess your love for this game.This thread is for the shady shit that Sean did to promote his game.
I like the game for what it is, but I personally feel it is not the game Sean said it was. It gets old reading how I am a entitled consumer, don't understand how hard and stressful game devlopment is.
Making movies is hard and stressful,but have never seen anyone defend Zack Snyder this much on GAF.

Sean Murray is impressive if only for the legion of sycophants he's managed to cultivate during the development of NMS. Even Kojima Gaf is looking reasonable compared to this shit.

jax

Banned
Imagine you've worked insanely hard creating an amazing game. One unlike any other, what could literally be the next Minecraft. Of course in interviews you'd be enthusiastic about the possibilities of the game, be it at launch or down the road a bit.

The PS4 has a lot of limitations, but the PC version has only just launched. Mods will fix some problems, patches will fix others. The base game is still incredible. Maybe your expectations were higher than mine, but to me what was advertised is for the most part what I'm getting.

Compare this release to the first Alpha release of Minecraft. A huge patch, expansion pack or sequel that builds on this is gonna be amazing. A mod could flip on multiplayer tomorrow and you've got the best MMO ever made.

Are you aware of the concept of taking a joke, slapping it about, pushing it into the corner of a room and stomping on its head?

Maybe your friends are goading you on a bit, but might there not come a point where you realise everyone else at the party starts to look at you with pity, if not disgust.

You talk of beating something to death 2400 posts deep into the third thread about whether or not Sean Murray lied.

Alebrije

Imagine you've worked insanely hard creating an amazing game. One unlike any other, what could literally be the next Minecraft. Of course in interviews you'd be enthusiastic about the possibilities of the game, be it at launch or down the road a bit.

The PS4 has a lot of limitations, but the PC version has only just launched. Mods will fix some problems, patches will fix others. The base game is still incredible. Maybe your expectations were higher than mine, but to me what was advertised is for the most part what I'm getting.

Compare this release to the first Alpha release of Minecraft. A huge patch, expansion pack or sequel that builds on this is gonna be amazing. A mod could flip on multiplayer tomorrow and you've got the best MMO ever made.

PS4 users are doomed including future Neo ones

PC have hope....

Also we never had Minecraft at 60 dollars like NMS, even now.

I agree to some extent, but Elite could use some NMS in it as well. When Elite came out the game was literally just flying the ship. There was enough complexity in flying and ship systems that it was a game itself. The extremely basic missions and trading that launched with Elite make the NMS grind seem fresh.

I think it's interesting to compare the two, but I think NMS was released with more meat on the bone than even Elite did, which isn't saying much.

Yeah but elite launched in ... 1982?

Kai Dracon

So these aren't really planetary systems then. Just spheres floating around in a box and the sun is just a light source/unreachable backdrop.

Yeah. There's no real sense or mechanics to each star system. Distance from star doesn't affect planet conditions. (Unless I'm wrong about that part.) Planets don't rotate, and day/night cycle on them is truly fake, not matching the position of the sun as seen from space. Moons don't orbit planets and hang in one spot.

Even as a static diorama, it doesn't evoke a real solar system. It appears to all be arranged so that you always see the perfect artistic image of three planets hanging in space, and from a planet's surface, always see the cover shot of a couple of planets peeking over the horizon. Which is funny, because by making it so generic it removes the special feeling of catching sight of such a vista.

Kai Dracon

I definitely didn't like seeing Murray immediately ponder that maybe they'd have to add content using paid DLC, as soon as the game launched missing so much of its intended content and features, at a $60 price point.

Having like, space, in your space game, is a pre-requisite for the genre.

Setting no man's skyn aside for a ment and just looking at this, it's not actually true. Neither Elite, Star Citizen or anything else I know of has a true contiguous universe. In SC I believe you'll have to warp from system to system, not sure what they plan if you try to fly. In Elite you can fly there but I think planets and things don't instance until you jump (do a 0AU jump). it basically comes down to the way computers store floating point numbers - not ALL real numbers can be represented and in fact as the numbers get bigger (or smaller too) the amount of error increases. So if you say the sun as 0,0,0 in the world, the further you get from the sun the greater the deviation between the number 'as it should be' and the closest representable number.

So changing star box via jumping or other means resets 0,0,0 to a new local coordinate to provide the best amount of "accurate" space, and distance spots (eg where you just jumped from) go from being accurate positions to approximations. It's an interesting problem and I know people are trying to come up with better solutions like shifting the origin (the 0 point) during regular flight but it's not as simple as that sounds.

So basically, floating point and fixed point fractional number representations in computer memory are not at all conducive to accurate position information over very large spaces and there's jack all you can do but code around it where you can.

Philly40

You talk of beating something to death 2400 posts deep into the third thread about whether or not Sean Murray lied.

I'm just thinking of that time when George said "That's gotta hurt!" and we all thought it was really, really funny.

Then George said it some more and we all looked at our shoes, a bit embarrassed. Even Sean thought "Is that guy OK?"

RedSwirl

Even as a static diorama, it doesn't evoke a real solar system. It appears to all be arranged so that you always see the perfect artistic image of three planets hanging in space, and from a planet's surface, always see the cover shot of a couple of planets peeking over the horizon. Which is funny, because by making it so generic it removes the special feeling of catching sight of such a vista.

I get that this was the point. Maybe they discovered or thought having planets move wouldn't provide that vista often enough.

Personally I'd at least want the game to pretend each system is a working system. At least give me some kind of statistic showing each planet's diameter, semimajor axis, age, and length of a year. Just something to make it feel like a believable universe.

tornjaw

100% intentions don't matter. As a consumer, why should anyone care about the pressure he was under? He's asking people to give him $60 for a thing he knows doesn't exist. That's gross regardless of his fragile emotional state.

And you're absolutely right on that quote. It's Molyneux all over again. He was claiming that they were redesigning their periodic table to affect the way light retracts in the atmosphere. That's horseshit. None of that exists. There's no physics. There's no light refracting against particles in the environment. Dude made up a bunch of shit to sell his game. Period.

Every time I see mention of this, which is not nearly often enough, I am still shocked he had the audacity to make the claim.

The galactic map was changed or what was planned was never implemented. He originally said you could zoom all the way out, see your friend's positions and zoom all the way in to solar system level to see the amount of planets. Hopefully it's something still in the pipeline because besides being pretty, the galactic map is a nightmare.

Kai Dracon

Setting no man's skyn aside for a ment and just looking at this, it's not actually true. Neither Elite, Star Citizen or anything else I know of has a true contiguous universe.

I was being a bit facetious, but I suppose the true point is that NMS ends up making a poor effort - for some people's taste - at arranging for the illusion of a contiguous universe. Stylistically it comes across as a much more obvious illusion than a lot of games.

I get that this was the point. Maybe they discovered or thought having planets move wouldn't provide that vista often enough.

Personally I'd at least want the game to pretend each system is a working system. At least give me some kind of statistic showing each planet's diameter, semimajor axis, age, and length of a year. Just something to make it feel like a believable universe.

I do get the visual style that the game is going for, and that now-famous aesthetic of being in a science fiction novel cover. Even if the planets are arranged unrealistically in a row in every single star system - however repetitive that is - I at least wish that, within their individual positions and context, each planet behaved like a planet. Normal rotation, orbiting moons, day cycle and night side terminator actually lining up with the sun.

Without at least some movement, some minimal sense of life, flying around in the game feels too static. Same problem with the big ships and formations that warp into a system. They hang there and don't move, with engines on. Why can't they at least slowly cruise across the width of the skybox, then warp out there?

Speely

Banned
Every time I see mention of this, which is not nearly often enough, I am still shocked he had the audacity to make the claim.

Once you've crossed the line between what IS and the narrative that is preferable for you, it's easy to just vamp on it and let it iterate. Especially when your audience is eating it up and fueling that approach.

Lots of folks delude themselves and, by extension, others with whom they communicate. For an eager and would-be-visionary developer, it's actually pretty easy to imagine the content being communicated getting seriously distorted by mere scale alone. It's the equivalent of gossip that gets out of control, but on AAA marketing power steroids.

Which is why an actual PR presence is important.

tuna_love

Banned

Compare this release to the first Alpha release of Minecraft. A huge patch, expansion pack or sequel that builds on this is gonna be amazing. A mod could flip on multiplayer tomorrow and you've got the best MMO ever made

lol i have no idea who is being sarcastic anymore

213372bu

Banned

I'm astounded this isn't parody.

Kacho

Gold Member
How much longer do you think HG will go before they answer some of the questions from the community?

Good question. I doubt that they will at this point. Sean goes from insanely active on Twitter to radio silence as soon as players found out about the lack of multiplayer. I understand that HG is busy with creating patches but it's very odd.

The Steam forums are a show right now. I think it's even worse than the forums for Fallout 4 when that launched. Steam's positive review percentage is steadily dropping as is the player base. I was thinking the backlash would die out in a few days but it only seems to be getting louder. Sean lost a ton of face with NMS.

Top Bottom