• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit Compiles Definitive List of All NMS Missing Features/False Marketing +Sources

eot

Banned
Imagine you've worked insanely hard creating an amazing game. One unlike any other, what could literally be the next Minecraft. Of course in interviews you'd be enthusiastic about the possibilities of the game, be it at launch or down the road a bit.

The PS4 has a lot of limitations, but the PC version has only just launched. Mods will fix some problems, patches will fix others. The base game is still incredible. Maybe your expectations were higher than mine, but to me what was advertised is for the most part what I'm getting.

Compare this release to the first Alpha release of Minecraft. A huge patch, expansion pack or sequel that builds on this is gonna be amazing. A mod could flip on multiplayer tomorrow and you've got the best MMO ever made.

If you turned on multiplayer tomorrow it would be an ass-tier MMO

The game defeats its own sense of scale and adventure with its own basic design; looks like stations/monoliths/aliens are as hard to find as is a Starbucks or 7/11 in a random walk through town. So much for "undiscovered" planets or a "space sim". Looks like neither of those basic claims holds true.

This has been my biggest personal complaint. The damn planets just have way too much stuff on them, and way too close together. There will literally be two or three ruins, four or five buildings, and three or four drop pods all within like 2 minutes of each other. And it doesn't help when so much of it is so similar to the other stuff that is less than a 2 minute walk away.

That just makes it feel more like I am in some shitty suburb going from strip mall to strip mall rather than like I am exploring a planet. The stuff is just WAY too dense. That isn't what I envisioned at all.

Is the whole red/yellow/blue galaxies thing true? As in, the color of the galaxy determines how likely it is that the planets within will be unusual/lush?

etrain911

Imagine you've worked insanely hard creating an amazing game. One unlike any other, what could literally be the next Minecraft. Of course in interviews you'd be enthusiastic about the possibilities of the game, be it at launch or down the road a bit.

The PS4 has a lot of limitations, but the PC version has only just launched. Mods will fix some problems, patches will fix others. The base game is still incredible. Maybe your expectations were higher than mine, but to me what was advertised is for the most part what I'm getting.

Compare this release to the first Alpha release of Minecraft. A huge patch, expansion pack or sequel that builds on this is gonna be amazing. A mod could flip on multiplayer tomorrow and you've got the best MMO ever made.

Why should the PC community be responsible for fixing a game that they spent $60 on? And what about the PS4 players?

See, that is the thing. It is not because promoted features are missing that people are upset. People are upset because Sean Murray literally lied to their faces for years all while dragging other developers through the mud. The game is ok, and I will admit that much, but Sean has zero integrity and that is the issue here. The game is literally not the same thing he actually talked about it interviews.

fine. we've established sean murray's a liar (tho i still prefer bullshitter). so where do we take this? we just keep hammering on it? i mean, congrats! mission accomplished! guy's been outed as a fraud! so, we now take this &... go where, exactly?...

see, this's the thing. the game's out, the 'truth' has been exposed, &, for better or worse, that's pretty much it. anyone interested in buying the game from here on out will now have all the info they need to decide as to whether or not to do so (tho i imagine it'll be difficult to get anyone new to the whole thing very upset about broken expectations that they personally never had in the first place). so, maybe it's time to pack it in, & head home, because, aside from those of us continuing to play the game, i'd say that, until we hear from hello games, anyway, the no man's sky side show's pretty much over for now?...

inky

There's so much wrong with this post. The delusion is real. My god.

If I compare this to the release of Alpha Minecraft, then people would be about $45 richer and would be looking forward to half a decade of improvements, at least. I'm not sure how that comparison is meant to make the game look better. Is this an early access game now?

fine. we've established sean murray's a liar (tho i still prefer bullshitter). so where do we take this? we just keep hammering on it? i mean, congrats! mission accomplished! guy's been outed as a fraud! so, we now take this &... go where, exactly?...

see, this's the thing. the game's out, the 'truth' has been exposed, &, for better or worse, that's pretty much it. anyone interested in buying the game from here on out will now have all the info they need to decide as to whether or not to do so (tho i imagine it'll be difficult to get anyone new to the whole thing very upset about broken expectations that they personally never had in the first place). so, maybe it's time to pack it in, & head home, because, aside from those of us continuing to play the game, i'd say that, until we hear from hello games, anyway, the no man's sky side show's pretty much over for now?...

It's going to go on and on as long as disgruntled players have something to add on to the discussion. I just wonder how long it will last.

Has Sean Murray responded to any of this?

sean%20murray%20tweets.jpg

Is the whole red/yellow/blue galaxies thing true? As in, the color of the galaxy determines how likely it is that the planets within will be unusual/lush?

You mean star systems.
From my experience I'd say yes, kinda. There are more rare resources on blue star systems. There also seem to be more animals.

Osla

Neo Member
Decided to send my LE back after all, it's in the mail! Feels good. If they somehow fix this game I might get it in a Steam sale for a few euros.

I said this was going to be 3d starbound alpha and was attacked by the hype idiots, I know space is the new zombie fad but dont accept any simple shit and dont fall for idea guys bs.

I realize that not everyone is raging like Jacksinthe.
Raging? No.

Fed up? Absolutely.

This hits me from two sides.

As a consumer:
More and more developers and publishers are writing checks they can't cash in an effort to sell a product to me. Everyone has been burned a lot more than they should in the last decade of gaming from bullshit PR speak. From bullshit pie in the sky promises.

Games should never be about selling INTENTIONS or PROMISES - they are about selling a PRODUCT. "See that mountain?" Or "if you can see it, you can get to it" or "it just works", etc.

The PR, the developer, the publisher is the one who sets the expectation for everyone to follow. They lead the charge. That's fine when you set the expectation but when it gets out of hand and you fucking know it - you stop feeding it. You don't throw more fuel on the fire. You don't give extra ammo that can be used against you because you want to ride a wave of hype to sell a game.

Intentions aren't what should be sold. "Maybe they will patch it in" is a sad consumer excuse in an attempt to justify wasting your money. It defends shady sales tactics by devs/pubs. The more it is done, the more it will happen.

This seems like its happening with greater frequency than ever from major studios. This is why I stopped preordering, waiting until concerns have been aired after release.

Day 1 review embargoes?

NDAs on reviews that purposefully tell the media to NOT talk about specific game features or mechanics?

Buddy-buddy system between the media and the industry? Swag bag bullshit at events?

All of that shit makes me question the legitimacy of any claim from a studio. I've been had a few times but no more as a consumer. People are getting tired of being sold PROMISES and not PRODUCTS.

As a developer:
This stings me like a fissure in my ass. I haven't been here long but I've gathered a lot of experience from outside my team. I learn from myself but fuck yes I'm learning from others. I watch, I listen, I see how things are done, I hear stories about certain devs, good things, bad things, shortcuts, empty promises, etc.

It's like any other business, to a point, but this hits home when it's also your hobby.

There are unwritten rules to any industry. Some devs break them. Some devs do it egregiously.

Some only want to make a quick buck and not give a fuck about how many houses they burn down in the process, including their own. Some do it to troll. Most are here for the same reason, the love of the game.

Every time someone does something shitty we hang our heads. Sometimes we laugh it off, but other times it makes our jobs harder. Because the hill we are all climbing just got taller.

Many of us want a good working relationship with the consumer. I do and every time some dev does something shady, lies, promises nothing more than promises - it makes our jobs harder because it casts more doubt on the industry.

I hate it. I hate that the PR side has to be run like an "attract" scenario. What ever happened to just saying what is?

I see a huge problem with games reaching limits and content being consumed faster than it can be created. So devs turn to sales pitches to promote products rather than selling the product for what it is. Might not be new and shiny, might not be ground breaking, but it should be truthful.

You know when you are being bullshitted when every interview you watch, the function of your game fits the narrative of the interview. Games change. Games change often. Thats not the issue. The issue is when you only change your game when it comes to PR speak to fit the tone, the excitement of the moment. There is no way in hell as a dev your game can fit so many different scenarios at the same time. There is no way in hell you can answer "YES" to almost every question in every interview about a single feature every time the narrative changes. That's a red flag. That's an easy pitfall for a dev. To sell a promise, not a product.

As both a consumer and a dev, I don't want to be lied to. I don't want to lie to anyone. I don't want the industry to continue down the path of promises. I don't want the industry to hide behind day 1 review embargoes. I don't want the industry to dictate where it is going and fuck everyone else. The consumer, me, I, you, everyone dictates where it goes. As a dev we need to adapt to it through execution, not intentions.

We need to sell what is, not what YOU WANT TO HEAR. We need to buy what is, NOT WHAT SOME PR BULLSHIT SAYS.

Fuck this environment where any one of my peers thinks it's OK to feed the hype machine and deal with the fallout later. That's not good business and as a consumer, fuck you a second time.

The hill for devs gets bigger as the trust by the consumer gets smaller. That's not where we need to be no matter what side of the curtain you are on.

Raging? No.

Fed up? That's goddamn right.

HariKari

NMS isn't the first game with procedural generation. It's not even the first space game with it.

How would it be the best MMO ever made with ass tier everything? The crafting, survival, and combat mechanics are all worse than a lot of indies. The story is nonexistent. You're talking about a game from an alternate dimension, not NMS.

enemy2k

Is this parody? Best mmo ever made? Lol

Seiniyta

Has Sean Murray responded to any of this?

Seems they've been working constantly patching the game to get it stable on the two platforms.

Sean absolutely has to come forward talking about the missing content and what's up with that. But they're absolutely not sitting still:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/275850/announcements/detail/815536402964769667

Since No Man’s Sky on PC released last Friday the team has been incredibly busy. We’ve gathered all the support requests to support@hellogames.co.uk, but we’re also tracking posts on Steam, GoG, Reddit and anywhere we can find online.

Right now the team is fully focused on categorising and fixing support issues in order of priority, based on the number of people they are affecting. The information and crash dumps you’ve posted have been indispensable in helping us track down and fix these issues.

We’ve now released 3 patches, and hopefully they really improve the experience for everybody. As you can see it’s been a huge amount of work for a small team. We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Next week expect at least one more major update, which will enter testing on Monday once we finish working on it this weekend. Once all our support requests have been answered then we can begin improving the game with new features :)

See below for notes on all three recent patches!

Patch 1

The focus of patch 1 was to add greater support for more hardware. Either specific hardware configs, or hardware outside our min spec. We want as many people to be able to play as possible, and these were our most reported issues.

AMD Phenom Support

Game is now confirmed working on Phenom CPUs.
Thousands of lines of assembly have been rewritten to support AMD CPUs. The game code no longer relies on anything above SSE 2,
Havok Physics has also now created new libs for us to add Phenom support.

Alt-Tab has improved

Some systems/configs were crashing or not pausing correctly on Alt Tab. This should now be resolved.

Improved Performance

On CPUs with 4 threads or fewer, performance has been improved.
On CPUs with exactly 8 threads, performance has also been significantly improved.

Framerate Stuttering due to Shader Caching

Framerate was initially stuttering due to shaders not being correctly cached by the GPU on some systems. We have replaced the GPU caching system. You may notice some stutter during the Galactic Map intro to the game (the very first time you run), but it should be smoother from then on. This is particularly true on ATI cards.

Max FPS Cap

On some CPU/GPU configurations, setting Max FPS to 60 or 30 was not giving 60 or 30 FPS (causing stuttering). This has been fixed.

Radeon 6xxx

Added support for this GPU, which doesn't support OpenGL 4.5 fully.

Save Corruption

Solution to try to prevent saves getting corrupted no matter what’s going on in background processes (see Patch 3 below, where we also are attempting to recover corrupted saves).

Intel GPU Detection

We do not currently support Intel GPUS. We are working on this for a future patch, to expand our min spec.
In the meantime, the game will now let you know if you are trying to run with an unsupported GPU. This will hopefully flag for some users that their high end GPU has not been selected.

Gsync

Gsync has been disabled by default, which was causing an issue for some users

Mouse Smoothing

Generally this is most helpful for players with sub-30 FPS.
Smoothing on mouse movement has been improved to prevent hitching or stuttering, and is now adjustable through the Options menu in “Mouse Smoothing”.
It defaults to off. If you feel micro stutters in framerate affecting controls, feel free to turn this up. If you feel the framerate is "slow" or "lumpy", please make sure that this is turned off

Patch 2

For patch 2 our focus was on the most reported bugs or crashes. Our aim was to improve stability, and make sure player’s saves are safe in future.

Stuck under the world

It was possible for players to save their game stuck under the terrain, leaving them stuck. This was caused by getting shot down in atmosphere, and their ship reaching ridiculous speeds as it crashed to the planet. This has been resolved.
Whilst it won't happen anymore, if you are currently already stuck under the world, we detect this and do our best to rescue you.

Crash after warping

Occasionally at random the game would lock up after a warp, or return to desktop. This was due to very specific timing in hardware (a threading specific bug) – meaning that unfortunately for some people it was regular, and for others they would never be able to recreate it. This was our most reported crash during gameplay, and has now been resolved.

Game failing to save until you died

If the player died, and then loaded the game ten times without saving, and then died, player progress wouldn’t be saved from then on until you died again. This is fixed now! This was also causing player’s saves to grow in size.

Crash fixes in scanning

Quite a rare crash, but in certain scenarios it was possible to scan from space or on planet and crash the game.

Crash warping inside a freighter

When warping into a battle sometimes the player warped into the inside of a freighter and everything went crazy :(
This is fixed now.

Patch 3

Patch 3 is targeted at our next most common support requests, fixing the next most common crashes, as well as trying to help players who have become stranded or have corrupted their save files.

Stranded in Space Station

If you died in your ship while in atmosphere of a planet with a damaged ship, you could respawn in a space station with your launch thrusters and pulse engine damaged. If you did not have the resources to fix them then you could no longer take off and be stuck there. This will no longer happen.

Loading Corrupted Save Files

Some players have corrupted save files, we’ve been working with them to still load saves even if they are corrupted (this can happen for many reasons outside of the games control). This fix has allowed many players to still load their save even if they have become corrupt on PC.

Crash fixes for next three most commonly reported issues:

- As the player gathers a huge amount of discoveries, there was a threading issue that becomes more prevalent the more discoveries you have, and could cause the game to crash.

- If you had collected a large number of blueprints, in a specific order it was possible to crash the game when you received a new blueprint. This has been fixed.
- Players who set a large number of waypoints could find themselves in a situation where they could crash the game in the Galactic Map, this is remedied now (PS. A better waypoint system is coming).

Overall these fixes should remedy around 70% of our current support requests. We're working on the next 30% right now. If you are still experiencing issues please do mail support@hellogames.co.uk

Thank you,
Hello Games

Axiology

Intentions aren't what should be sold. "Maybe they will patch it in" is a sad consumer excuse in an attempt to justify wasting your money. It defends shady sales tactics by devs/pubs. The more it is done, the more it will happen.

This seems like its happening with greater frequency than ever from major studios. This is why I stopped preordering, waiting until concerns have been aired after release.

Day 1 review embargoes?

NDAs on reviews that purposefully tell the media to NOT talk about specific game features or mechanics?

Buddy-buddy system between the media and the industry? Swag bag bullshit at events?

All of that shit makes me question the legitimacy of any claim from a studio. I've been had a few times but no more as a consumer. People are getting tired of being sold PROMISES and not PRODUCTS.

Bingo. That's my horse in this race. Lying devs? Sure, that's a problem. And it's juicy meat to tear at in regards to drama. But the real problem is how easily people will give up their rights as a consumer to at least demand proper treatment and truthful advertising. You got people all over the place pretty much saying "I am not owed anything for the $60 I'm putting into this. Walk all over me, I'll even lie down for you. And when you're done, I'll brush myself off and explain to everyone how I wanted it!"

That's how you know things are fucked in this industry.

I wouldn't say that's entirely accurate. They've been ambiguous enough (like with that ridiculous tweet about two people "meeting" each other) that some people are still giving them the benefit of the doubt and thinking that some form of multiplayer is still in the game, and that it's just a server/PSN issue. It's amazing that they've somehow given themselves just enough leeway that even now, people can be convinced that there are certain things possibly still in the game.

nynt9

None of these three patches corrects the issue with the missing features...

Bingo. That's my horse in this race. Lying devs? Sure, that's a problem. And it's juicy meat to tear at in regards to drama. But the real problem is how easily people will give up their rights as a consumer to at least demand proper treatment and truthful advertising. You got people all over the place pretty much saying "I am not owed anything for the $60 I'm putting into this. Walk all over me, I'll even lie down for you. And when you're done, I'll brush myself off and explain to everyone how I wanted it!"

The thread for the patch is really fascinating in terms of how people are reacting to the patch and how upset they're getting about the mention of the lacking features and broken promises.

But the real problem is how easily people will give up their rights as a consumer to at least demand proper treatment and truthful advertising. You got people all over the place pretty much saying "I am not owed anything for the $60 I'm putting into this.

yeah it's pretty sad that when you start the game it's nothing but a blank screen with a quit button.

the solution is for people to stop preordering and be smarter about what they buy

Axiology

yeah it's pretty sad that when you start the game it's nothing but a blank screen with a quit button.

I didn't say they weren't given anything, I mean people are literally saying "they don't owe you anything." That's a piss-poor perspective on the producer/consumer dynamic. You should feel that you're owed something close to the truth at least, when you're putting 60 bucks down.

CoffeeJanitor said:
the solution is for people to stop preordering and be smarter about what they buy

But beyond that they should let these people know it's a problem, not just suck it up and stifle any attempt to advocate for the rights of consumers.

Edit:
The thread for the patch is really fascinating in terms of how people are reacting to the patch and how upset they're getting about the mention of the lacking features and broken promises.

Oh word? lemme check it out...

It's great they're fixing everything and then adding content in. They're adding stuff that wasn't even promised anyway so it kinda makes up for the stuff that was removed.

ha HAA

That being said, I do appreciate the idea that that thread should remain purely focused on the patch.

RedSwirl

This has been my biggest personal complaint. The damn planets just have way too much stuff on them, and way too close together. There will literally be two or three ruins, four or five buildings, and three or four drop pods all within like 2 minutes of each other. And it doesn't help when so much of it is so similar to the other stuff that is less than a 2 minute walk away.

That just makes it feel more like I am in some shitty suburb going from strip mall to strip mall rather than like I am exploring a planet. The stuff is just WAY too dense. That isn't what I envisioned at all.

The most damning thing about this is that someone was apparently able to get just about every upgrade by wandering across their starter planet for 30 hours. Literally the same upgrades you would get if you flew out into the universe. The same resources and upgrades are literally everywhere. The only exception is probably Atlas-related stuff.

That might be the biggest missed feature -- the absence of balance. The best tech was supposed to be closer to the center along with the most dangerous planets.

AugustBlade

Neo Member
I've never been so disappointed with a game in my life. Or people, for that matter.

After listening to everything Sean Murray said about the game, I realistically didn't expect everything to be true. After reading the reddit post, I was extremely disappointed and upset about what I had been sold on.

Now, I've never had the urge to try and return a game before, to try and get my money back. I have with other things of course; items, electronics and such that didn't work, and I got my money back, no problem. I bought this game at Best Buy. Went there, tried to get money back, and couldn't. Contacted Sony, they told me the same thing. Posted on reddit about it, and was thoroughly berated and made fun of because of my lack of understanding returning games to retailers. Thanks for that, never done it before, didn't know.

So, I took the only advice that was given to me without insult; to contact Hello Games themselves. I wrote a very long email, and I was not angry or insulting (I can post the email for anyone who's interested), detailing what I was sold about the game, and that it was a very different product when I bought it. I asked them to own up to their mistake, and refund my money. I have yet to receive anything but an auto-reply.

If I'm somehow wrong about all of this, can I at least get a reply that isn't scathing towards what I'm trying to accomplish? I feel this game was an absolute rip-off, and I don't understand how I can return a MP3 player that doesn't work as advertised, but I can't return a game of which the developers talked and showed off multiple things that are missing from it?

Axiology

If I'm somehow wrong about all of this, can I at least get a reply that isn't scathing towards what I'm trying to accomplish? I feel this game was an absolute rip-off, and I don't understand how I can return a MP3 player that doesn't work as advertised, but I can't return a game of which the developers talked and showed off multiple things that are missing from it?

The bounds of what is considered false advertising are extremely loose-- pretty much non-existent when it comes to games. People generally view any conflict there as being on the fault of the consumer, under the reasoning of "buyer beware."

Unfortunately you might have had better luck if you said the game ran horribly and was making your machine overheat :/

nynt9

I don't think such elements exist. We can ask the data miners but I've never seen or heard of these things and the nature of the upgrade system suggests that they can't exist. What would cloaking ships or healing ships really do? The space combat is incredibly basic and without group multiplayer those would be pretty meaningless.

I don't think such elements exist. We can ask the data miners but I've never seen or heard of these things and the nature of the upgrade system suggests that they can't exist. What would cloaking ships or healing ships really do? The space combat is incredibly basic and without group multiplayer those would be pretty meaningless.

It's pretty self explanatory what they would do, I think. Anyway, I was just wondering if hey were in, not saying they are needed features. (considering the thread is about features that were talked about that aren't in the game) Since we're on this topic now though, yes It'd be nice if the space encounters were deep enough for these mechanics to make sense within the game.

Lulu23

I thought buying the DayZ Standalone would make me more cautious, but I bought into all those lies anyways.
Now after playing the game and then looking at what Sean said in interviews about several pretty substantial features I couldn't help but google the word "fraud":

Definition of the word "fraud" said:
wrongful or criminal deception intended to result in financial or personal gain

That is exactly what they did, isn't it?
Wrongful deception intended to result in financial gain.

I can't imagine another reason somebody could have to just blatantly lie about awesome features that aren't going to be in your game or, as has been hinted at by the recent data mining, have not even been worked on.

Now, I've never had the urge to try and return a game before, to try and get my money back. I have with other things of course; items, electronics and such that didn't work, and I got my money back, no problem. I bought this game at Best Buy. Went there, tried to get money back, and couldn't. Contacted Sony, they told me the same thing. Posted on reddit about it, and was thoroughly berated and made fun of because of my lack of understanding returning games to retailers. Thanks for that, never done it before, didn't know.

I brought the game back to retail (Saturn in Germany) and said that I can't play it because it crashes all the time. He gave me a fresh copy and wanted me to try again. I tried to explain to like 3 different guys there how that doesn't make any sense but they insisted on it.
Then I went to another Saturn and got an easy refund for the sealed copy lol.

I thought about telling them that the game was falsely advertised, and that it was missing almost everything I bought it for after hearing about it from the very creator of the game but then went the "it crashes" route because that is also true and sounds less like I didn't like the game and want a refund because of that.

It's pretty self explanatory what they would do, I think. Anyway, I was just wondering if hey were in, not saying they are needed features. Since we're on this topic now though, yes It'd be nice if the space encounters were deep enough for these mechanics to make sense within the game.

I'm pretty sure back when they were talking about ship classes, they said the explorer class of ships would have stealth abilities. Since classes currently don't exist, and may never exist, I guess that was scrapped.

sazzy

I think this is the biggest lie. Sean has been throwing shade at other games for "faking" physics for years at this point, and like...welcome to No Mans Sky.

In NMS, the star systems are basically disjointed levels or stages.

The pretty hyperdrive screen is a loading screen.

The planet landing sequence is a loading screen. Try landing with the graphics set to a lower res and see how quickly you can land.

The 18 quintillion planets is bullshit. They don't exist until you load a level and the game probably picks out one of 16^16 permutations.

Space is apparently full of fuel rich asteroids.

Oh and the sky is perpetually lit up with some unknown source of light, even when you're flying through empty space with no atmosphere.

All land masses have the same gravity. Even the space ports.

Every land mass has been visited by another alien race before you. They've built their facilities on it. But for some reason you get to be the special snowflake who gets to name that planet.

The developers created the game around a gimmick. Its not even a technical marvel like many think it is, once you realize that all the land masses are simply giant stationary floating set pieces.

This is a mediocre game, and an utter garbage space exploration game.

Seiniyta

The planet landing sequence is a loading screen. Try landing with the graphics set to a lower res and see how quickly you can land.

The 18 quintillion planets is bullshit. They don't exist until you load a level and the game probably picks out one of 16^16 permutations.

Oh and the sky is perpetually lit up with some unknown source of light, even when you're flying through empty space with no atmosphere.

Every land mass has been visited by another alien race before you. They've built their facilities on it. But for some reason you get to be the special snowflake who gets to name that planet.

The developers created the game around a gimmick. Its not even a technical marvel like many think it is, once you realize that all the land masses are simply giant stationary floating set pieces.

The 18 quantillion planets part is how they've always described how it works. The game uses a seed set by Hello Games for the Galaxy, and each solar system and planets got their own seed that dictates how the planet looks like for every player. When another player visits the same planet, the planet will look the same to both players. That is confirmed when two players tried to meet each other ingame but couldn't.

RedSwirl

To be fair about some of that stuff, Hello Games always said that gravity would basically be the same everywhere. The excuse was that the exosuit would compensate for it, and that they just didn't want players to deal with varying levels of gravity. They also never denied NPCs would be on every planet. Lastly, even in Elite Dangerous the hyperdrive screen is basically a loading screen. Space Engine is the only game I'm aware of where all the stars and galaxies really do share the same physical space at the same time.

Azerare

I considered getting it but the fact that they won't even address these discrepancies is problematic itself. Still got a backlog to go through.

Yeah. There's no real sense or mechanics to each star system. Distance from star doesn't affect planet conditions. (Unless I'm wrong about that part.) Planets don't rotate, and day/night cycle on them is truly fake, not matching the position of the sun as seen from space. Moons don't orbit planets and hang in one spot.

Even as a static diorama, it doesn't evoke a real solar system. It appears to all be arranged so that you always see the perfect artistic image of three planets hanging in space, and from a planet's surface, always see the cover shot of a couple of planets peeking over the horizon. Which is funny, because by making it so generic it removes the special feeling of catching sight of such a vista.
Didn't the day one patch say something about the rotation thing because play testers found it too jarring
Also moons moved closer

Nah. I think he's taken the cake as the shadiest and most untrustworthy dev. People say the game was successful because of the sales, but I don't know that their reputation will ever recover.

There's the slim hope that he may just be absolutely clueless on what his product actually has, and his team isn't telling him. Or his team told him and continues to believe what his product has.

Cob32

Put my refund request in with Sony. Takes 5 days to process apparently before it gets approved or denied. Lady in chat said it would be a one time goodwill gesture if it's approved which is fine.

xinek

Yep, you're pretty much screwed. I also bought a retail copy and really regret it. This was after getting burned by Destiny, so I should have known better. But the developer was so communicative and seemed to engaged with the community that it just didn't seem plausible that the game could be bad. At the very least, what I wanted was a game I could sit back with after work, have a beer, look at the sights, and see some cool stuff. What I got were a bar filling minigame and inventory shuffling simulator that utterly sucked the life out of exploring.

The game isn't up for trade at Best Buy yet, which is where I bought my copy. I traded mine in at Amazon last week for $37, but the trade-in value is already down to $27 or so. I missed out on that BB GCU 10% trade-in bonus, but I really wanted to offload the game before getting screwed further. I think I saw on cheapassgamer that BB is having another 50% trade-in bonus next week, so you may be able to trade it there for a decent price if it ever gets into their trade-in system. Good luck to you with your letter otherwise.

Didn't the day one patch say something about the rotation thing because play testers found it too jarring
Also moons moved closer

That answer doesn't make sense to me. Why would that be something they changed and not the dozen other confusing, unintuitive, or needlessly time-consuming systems this game has?

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
There's the slim hope that he may just be absolutely clueless on what his product actually has, and his team isn't telling him. Or his team told him and continues to believe what his product has.
That sounds even worse if he's the guy that has to sell it to people!

Most everything about this game is so half-arsed I'd question whether he even cared that he was misleading people.

I was playing this weekend and the upgrade system is just so pointless and thin. You get a heap of these upgrades to speed up your mining laser but a heap of other random stuff like bouncing grenades, which has no purpose whatsoever. There's no balance or progression, and it crashes constantly. This game is an alpha-level product.
That is so far from the truth, that I'm absolutely flabbergasted.
An MMO without the game! No combat, enemies, items, skills, abilities, quests, NPC's, cities, character customisation, ways to communicate, or any way to see other players. Truly GOAT.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™

That is so far from the truth, that I'm absolutely flabbergasted.

I've always though NMS was a con but this....

I normally laugh at gamers who file lawsuits over games but this would be a exception.

Top Bottom