• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Reddit] Further Watch Dogs 3 info leaked (unconfirmed)

cormack12

Gold Member
watch-dogs-3-reddit-image-leak.large.jpg

Doczu

Ubisoft and their fetish for female playable characters.

Dont get why they are not waiting for the new console gen to drop watch dogs 3
I'm more concerned about removing any lethal weaponry than playing as a female 😐

And this could easily be another cross-gen title like the first one. If the graphics are better than anything possible on this gen we will know whats up.
... That or a typical Ubi bullshot.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
No guns or knives? Batons and tasers? Near-future slight cyberpunk?

If you're going to go "near future" and "slight cyberpunk" (fiction), why not go whole-hog and include actual weapons? Maybe they're all "underground" and as an undercover operative you have to kind of play along and use them. Maybe if you pull them out in broad daylight you'll catch a bunch of heat. Maybe they could make it into an actually interesting game mechanic instead of just neutering the player for the sake of the setting.

Interesting choice to remove guns. Maybe helps set it apart a little more.

Using guns felt off a lot of the time in this series. But it was nice to have the option.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Wait no guns? lol
They do know guns do exist in the UK

kunonabi

I like the idea of removing guns and an asian female lead is exactly what I figured they were going to do. As long as she isnt super lesbian I might give this one a shot. I've always liked the premise of the series but the execution has never really worked.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Hey if she like Faith, I might be interested.
Half Asian chick with a English accent sounds hot.

Lol. Bombs good one.

No guns is a big deal but already... the discussion gonna be dominated by the angry kids and Ubi choice of a female lead (in the third installment no less.) :messenger_confused:

plushyp

This sounds really stupid. A counter-terror cyber security agent would not be running around the streets of London Mirror's Edge-style, fighting drug dealers and tagging walls.
This is the exact reason why I am not able to believe this leak. The skateboard bit is like the cherry on top lol

Last edited:

Fbh

I never played W2 but I remember some people commenting about the narrative dissonance between how the characters were presented in cutscenes and then seeing them shoot people like some highly trained soldier. So maybe this no guns thing can work, provided the combat is still fun.

Anyway, if this is true hopefully the main character is like Faith and not some snassy "2 cool 4 u" type of character (though between the Skateboard and graffiti it sounds like she totally will)

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
I dunno, lots of people want to do non lethal playthroughs. At the end of the day though it's just an animation. However:

No knives is stupid. Especially now with the issue of knife crime in the UK on the rise, also the amount of 'sharp' instruments in general;
Not bothered about the protagonist. New protag, blank slate - if it's a chick so be it. Just nothing like the cliche that was Clara in WD;
No guns sort of makes sense - the police response would be excessive just for a handgun. Be interesting to see how this is handled. Going to need some sort of ranged weapon though. Maybe tech drones with darts etc.
It sounds more like low level anarchy and rival hacking groups for cred;
I wonder what scale they will use and if they will just have London or Greater London. Wonder if they'll also have things like the Met and Scot Yard;

hunthunt

Banned
I hated the first Watch Dogs and didnt care about WD2 but this may be actually good. There are thousands of open world games with guns and knifes, at least they are trying something different.

HotPocket69

Banned
Sounds awful. And Watch Dogs 2 was one of the most disappointing sequels of all time.

They ditched Focus, the guns all felt and sounded like shit so it was absolute discouragement in terms of playing lethally. Yay for relying on a fucking stun gun the entire game. Food was served in shops but it didn’t do shit unlike in the first game where it would refill health and give you a buff or two. The characters were all dumb. The whole lighthearted zany tone is comparable to TMNT 1990 to Secret of the Ooze or more recently Rage 1 to Rage 2. Don’t forget the DRUMPF like character! Hee hee hee!

Human trafficking, kidnapping, drug deals gone wrong and uncovering massive city corruption. Slow mo headshots, fucking hacker Batman walking through a heavy rain storm, hands in the pockets of your trench coat as you steal peoples cash and listen in on their phone convos while Iggy Pop is playing. Goddamn WD1 was fucking awesome and Aiden was a great badass no nonsense character.

Fuck now I want to replay it.

Last edited:
I'm ok with no guns... I always go the non-lethal way if there's a choice anyway. Also, this better have an "Anarchy in the UK" feel to it, or it's a missed opportunity.

People thinking to pick up watch dogs 2 cheap, here's my two cents. I did the mistake of buying this game and personally, the game felt like a chore. There is a formula and within that, they design their entire mission. Its so contrived within that boundaries that there is no additional dynamic to it that gets you going. Going guns blazing is not an option if you want to skip hacking, and mostly the game forces you to use camera to camera, hacks, distract enemies and make you way through as you break their defenses. So much so that it fails to maintain a balance and it becomes too one sided. 10hrs in and i have no desire to play this game. I wished it had given some other fun approaches to completing missions.

The characters are ok. Didn't feel any special attachment to any of them. The story feels like it is catered to younger generations. Nothing that gets you emotionally vested with anyone.

Its fun to goof around a bit but later its just becomes normal and you want to get on with the game, but theres not much beyond above mentioned. Even getting to mission point is a puzzle. Hack this to reach here, move this part, distract and move. They tired to pull something different out of the bag but it just didnt click.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

So they gave the "l33t hax0r" kid crew guns in WD2 but in WD3 where you play a counter-terrorist agent, you don't get a gun? Good luck trying to sell this game, it sounds woke to the extreme.

The only thing that could redeem this game is if the protag is somehow related to Jordi Chin. But whenever you hear hear the word "Asian" in the UK they're usually talking about a pakistani person or something.

Last edited:

Muffdraul

I never played W2 but I remember some people commenting about the narrative dissonance between how the characters were presented in cutscenes and then seeing them shoot people like some highly trained soldier. So maybe this no guns thing can work, provided the combat is still fun.

Anyway, if this is true hopefully the main character is like Faith and not some snassy "2 cool 4 u" type of character (though between the Skateboard and graffiti it sounds like she totally will)

IMO it was such a stupid criticism of WD2. Narratively, it worked like this: the character in your hacker group who was in charge of the 3D printer was a sociopathic anarchist, he loved guns, so he had blueprints for guns in the printer. Lethal weapons were available, but they had to be purchased, and they were absolutely never required. They were 100% optional. Your default weapon was a taser pistol, there was a non-lethal "stun" grenade launcher, there were non-lethal electro-shock hand grenade sticky-bombs. (There was also a stun shotgun, a stun sniper rifle, and a paintball gun, but those were post-launch DLC.) Your melee attacks were always non-lethal, according to the tutorial. Some of them look pretty brutal, but that's what it said.

The game never ever forced you to go lethal. If any player was killing enemies or NPCs with lethal weapons, it was their choice. And IMO the choice is important. Going non-lethal made completing the missions more difficult, so putting the choice in the player's hands had a real effect on the game. There is no weight whatsoever when the dev makes the choice for the player before the game is even in their hands.

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
Oh man woman, super excited about this. As a Londoner for over a decade now, this city is one of the most exciting settings I can imagine for a game like Watch Dogs or GTA

I hated the first Watch Dogs and didnt care about WD2 but this may be actually good. There are thousands of open world games with guns and knifes, at least they are trying something different.

Yeah, but the problem is the game series has already established this as the type of game where these elements existed. Plus, it's a hard sell to me to believe in a world with terrorism, counter-terrorism, and hacking that at least one or more of these elements won't be armed with lethal weapons.

I haven't played any Watch Dogs even though I was heavily interested because fuck their scum Uplay crap I'm never touching again, also fuck their degenerate prices on Steam.

Rather, I wished there was a new Mirror's Edge but EA are even bigger disgusting couch potato degenerates, and they have the crowd that goes with them, so I doubt there will be any sequel soon. Ubisoft is going to fail like it failed most of their recent games, but design is one aspect they'll NEVER get to brush because how fucking ugly, tasteless and untalented their couch potato designers are.

scalman

sounds good and girl hacker would be cool. But any city will be good anyway , just plz make driving this time better . at least some better like far cry driving

Top Bottom