• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit Rumor: Fallout 4 Details [Update: Nope]

Erethian

What Beth finally needs to learn is that the world should reflect your actions.

Yep, this is the biggest problem with their games by far.

They don't even need to do much to improve on it. Have a faction system. Have companions that actually have their own personalities and react positively/negatively to what you do. Those are really simple ways to make it feel like the people and world around you are actually acknowledging and reacting to what you do.

Creation Engine.

Calling it anything else is just ignorance. Just like calling Cryengine 3 Cryengine 2 would be ignorance.

While they did some major changes in some areas (like creating the new scripting engine Papyrus), the core of the engine is still Gamebryo.

Kade

Creation Engine.

Calling it anything else is just ignorance. Just like calling Cryengine 3 Cryengine 2 would be ignorance.

The difference being that CryEngine 2 and 3 are actually two different engines while the Creation Engine is essentially a v1.1 upgrade. It's like Valve calling the Episode One version of their engine Source 2 because they added one feature to it.

So ready for this. Hopefully the next-gen systems will allow for true open worlds without having to artificially break them into smaller areas through metro tunnels/town gates.

Mxrz

Boston during a heavy winter would be something. They could have a hardcore mode where freezing is an actual danger.

Most of it sounds okay. But who knows what'll happen with the character mechanics. I'm all for the lovecraftian vibes. But they need to recapture that campy Fallout charm and not go full blown serious-dark.

Has nothing to do with 90% of the bugs.

That and they already are using a new engine since New Vegas, so yes, it will be on a new engine.

pretty sure NV engine/code was based on FO3. it was all over the NV thread.

Obsidian Entertainment presents new features and improvements in Fallout: New Vegas that are implemented upon the foundation of Fallout 3. For example, the original Fallout 3 version of the Gamebryo engine was reworked in order to accommodate the extra lights and effects of the New Vegas strip.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallout:_New_Vegas

gamebryo. yo.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
The difference being that CryEngine 2 and 3 are actually two different engines while the Creation Engine is essentially a v1.1 upgrade. It's like Valve calling the Episode One version of their engine Source 2 because they added one feature to it.

Um...

Are you really going to tell me that Cryengine 2.0-3.0 not 3.whatever we currently have with Crysis 3, but the original Cryengine 3 release, was a monumental leap compared to Gamebryo to Creation Engine? I mean, really?

Engines often keep the core intact, and "heavy modification" is not as trivial as it sounds.

Hell Bioshock is a Unreal Engine 2 game, if you want to over simplify everything.

Valnen

Bethesda doesn't know how to make a good RPG. Wish they would stop making Fallout games and give the IP to someone else.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Not sure if this is even something anyone here with some more dev experience in gaming might be able to answer this early (just learning solid specs on both next gen systems and all that) BUT...

Can anyone tell me how likely it is that we will see the types of "final battles" that we talk about here all the time? Where instead of going around and amassing an "army" of 10 guys to take on the big bad world eater at the end of an epic game you actually have a small army of 50 to 100+ guys on each side going at it? Will it simply take a newer engine designed around the capabilities of next gen consoles or are those type of concessions made in current day games based purely around memory/processing power being too low? Or are the dev tools themselves based around these limitations - meaning the limitation can only fade once they get a solid handle on the next gen architecture?

/ramble

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds good to me! I love me some Boston. I hope Bethesda do make a good RPG this time. No excuse to do otherwise.

Also, so the rumor turned to be false?

luxarific

Nork unification denier
i would go in every dorm room.

There are just so many great buildings and so much faction-potential at the Universities: Widener Library, the Science Center, the Great Dome, the Infinite Corridor, etc., etc. Would be a blast. Speaking of Lovecraftian-horror set in Boston - does any remember The Lurking Horror, or am I dating myself? Loved that game.

Eh, poop. Oh well, I hope it is set in Boston though.

Moxx19

Banned
-Bethesda has no plans to reinvent the leveling up system to make it more like Skyrim and want to make Fallout 4 more distinct from Skyrim since of the complaints that Oblivion and Fallout 3 were too similar. Bethesda is thinking about introducing a system, similar to Skyrim, where your skills can level up if you perform certain tasks.

So they're not going to make it more like Skyrim..... But they want to make it more like Skyrim?

........What?

spirity

Looks like damage control to me. Why would he admit to lying?

-Bethesda has no plans to reinvent the leveling up system to make it more like Skyrim and want to make Fallout 4 more distinct from Skyrim since of the complaints that Oblivion and Fallout 3 were too similar. Bethesda is thinking about introducing a system, similar to Skyrim, where your skills can level up if you perform certain tasks.

It was iffy right from the get-go. Also, cyberpunk.

Top Bottom