• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit Rumor: Fallout 4 Details [Update: Nope]

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
After discussing with some of the other mods, I felt these details were strikingly similar to Bethesda's ho-hum scenario design/lore realistic sounding enough that they were worth posting and debating the validity of them.

Reddit said:
-First and foremost, the game will take place in Boston, and be kind of a direct sequel to Fallout 3 with a few groups returning.
-From what it sounds like, "The Institute" is pretty much the downtown DC or New Vegas of this game. Boston is going to be unlike anything we've seen in a Fallout game before, with buildings more on par with cyberpunk and retro-futurism.
-Androids play a big part in this game. The railroad from Fallout 3 is a faction. The enemies of the railroad is "the Plantation" -- a group who force Androids to farm so that Humans can get food. The Institute is highly advanced and probably obtained or built their own GECK to start a farm.
-Due to complaints about using Super Mutants and the Brotherhood of Steel in Fallout 3 excessively and going against the lore too much, Bethesda has decided to avoid using these groups. Bethesda wants to make a new "race" (think Ghoul, Super Mutant) which will be central to Boston. Bethesda is currently looking at Lovecraftian fiction since Boston is around "Lovecraft Country".
-Bethesda has no plans to reinvent the leveling up system to make it more like Skyrim and want to make Fallout 4 more distinct from Skyrim since of the complaints that Oblivion and Fallout 3 were too similar. Bethesda is thinking about introducing a system, similar to Skyrim, where your skills can level up if you perform certain tasks.
Source: http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/16cgj0/pal_of_mine_works_in_public_relations_at_bethesda/

Update:

Ein Bear

I know they said setting it outside the US would mean it "Wouldn't be Fallout" so it'll never happen... but damn I wish they'd set it in a different country.

Everything about it sounds awful. Too much like Oblivion? Let's make it more like Skyrim then! Oh and Cyberpunk is cool too, so let's make it like that. And we'll add Lovecraft while we're at it.

Drazgul

-Bethesda has no plans to reinvent the leveling up system to make it more like Skyrim and want to make Fallout 4 more distinct from Skyrim since of the complaints that Oblivion and Fallout 3 were too similar. Bethesda is thinking about introducing a system, similar to Skyrim, where your skills can level up if you perform certain tasks.

Too similar?! They were completely different (Bethesda's crappy implementation of SPECIAL aside). Skyrim's skill system was terrible - not to mention the removal of stats - I really hope they don't do something similar.

I'm calling bullshit unless there's proof.

Sullichin

What? No plans to make it more like Skyrim.. but they're thinking about making it like Skyrim? :p

Isn't this contradictory? They want to make Fallout 4 more distinct from Skyrim except in making it more like Skyrim?

I love the worlds that Bethesda can make, but dammit, leave the story/lore to Obsidian for Fallout's sake.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Everything about it sounds awful. Too much like Oblivion? Let's make it more like Skyrim then! Oh and Cyberpunk is cool too, so let's make it like that. And we'll add Lovecraft while we're at it.
While charlequin and I were talking, when we hit the "Well, people complained that we messed up the lore on/too frequently used Super Mutants and The Brotherhood of Steel, so we removed them from the game completely to replace them with Lovecraftian monsters and an Underground Railroad analogy story", we both felt this was almost assuredly real.

Or at least, you know, plausible enough to debate on GAF.

Too similar?! They were completely different (Bethesda's crappy implementation of SPECIAL aside). Skyrim's skill system was terrible - not to mention the removal of stats - I really hope they don't do something similar.

Agreed. I can deal with Boston, but I'm sensing some dumb Bethesda shit incoming with what I just read.

Sober

What the heck? TES skill system over SPECIAL? I doubt they'll do it if NMA has anything to say about it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Isn't this contradictory? They want to make Fallout 4 more distinct from Skyrim except in making it more like Skyrim?

I love the worlds that Bethesda can make, but dammit, leave the story/lore to Obsidian for Fallout's sake.

I would say they meant keeping the whole special and trait system, but implementing an aspect where you could level your skills up a bit outside of the primary level up choices.

um....huh?

edit: ah I see, I could see what new vegas did (you get certain perks for actions in the game) as a good addition

Lord Death 4 life
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Lord_Death

aegies

The contradicting "not like skyrim but now with more skyrim" makes kefkataran and I believe it more. But I've met all the Bethesda PR people and can't picture them spilling this kind of detail. So, take that for what you will.

Pretty sure that Boston is somewhat old news, but more rumors make it no less exciting. Bring it on, and make Southie the town area. God, please.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Who is making this game? I thought Bethesda only had one team and they just got done with Skyrim a year ago.

They're pretty efficient.

-Oblivion (2006)
-Fallout 3 (2008)
-Skyrim (2011)

Skyrim was planned for 2010 until they decided to update their technology more than they were going to.

4db.gif

Pakkidis

Bethesda has no plans to reinvent the leveling up system to make it more like Skyrim and want to make Fallout 4 more distinct from Skyrim since of the complaints that Oblivion and Fallout 3 were too similar. Bethesda is thinking about introducing a system, similar to Skyrim, where your skills can level up if you perform certain tasks.

What?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
While charlequin and I were talking, when we hit the "Well, people complained that we messed up the lore on/too frequently used Super Mutants and The Brotherhood of Steel, so we removed them from the game completely to replace them with Lovecraftian monsters and an Underground Railroad analogy story", we both felt this was almost assuredly real.

Or at least, you know, plausible enough to debate on GAF.

sT2fe.png

Your time has come again.

im actually fine with no super mutants or bos (whether there is absolutely NONE of them, or just a character from each here and there we will see...) but good on bethesda moving the needle a bit, fallout 3 and new vegas retreaded alot of the previous games stuff, now I want to see some new lore in there.

They're pretty efficient.

-Oblivion (2006)
-Fallout 3 (2008)
-Skyrim (2011)

Skyrim was planned for 2010 until they decided to update their technology more than they were going to.
Won't they have to update their engine a lot more than they did for Skyrim considering this is a next gen game
(it better be)
, thereby causing an increase in production time that would put it beyond a 2 year dev cycle?

I don't know, it's possible Bethesda wants to get one last gasp out of this gen. I could at the very least see it being cross gen. I mean who wants to abandon the huge PS3/360 based assuming this is coming early in 2014.

Won't they have to update their engine a lot more than they did for Skyrim considering this is a next gen gam

lol at thinking this won't be more than a slight update to the Skyrim engine even if it is next gen. Bethesda didn't spend all that money on that for nothing.

Who is making this game? I thought Bethesda only had one team and they just got done with Skyrim a year ago.

Larger studios tend to have more than one fish in the frying pan at any given time. I'd venture a guess they had some of the staff brainstorming F4 stuff going back to 2011.

I hope I can pick sides cause I don't give a fuck about androids being forced to farm. Makes sense to me.

I don't really like the sound of them completelty getting rid of super mutants and the BoS. I also don't like them saying that the leveling up will be more like Skyrim...

Top Bottom