• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit rumor: Insomniac almost worked on Conker reboot, Banjo + PD reboot in 2016/17

Kampfheld

Banned
This is the last comment I will make in a Rare thread prior to E3:

1) if there ever was a chance old-school Rare fans will be satisfied with current Rare-work, this time is this year.
2) that rumor has two legit and one wrong points, which leads me to the impression he just guessed. I don't know for sure tho. Things can change pretty fast in this industry so I can't make a final comment on this one.
3) Classic Rare IPs will return. Yes, more than just Killer Instinct.
4) If you guys aren't somewhat satisfied after E3 .... Kill me with fire.

Durock

1) if there ever was a chance old-school Rare fans will be satisfied with current Rare-work, this time is this year.
2) that rumor has two legit and one wrong points, which leads me to the impression he just guessed. I don't know for sure tho. Things can change pretty fast in this industry so I can't make a final comment on this one.

I feel satisfied already. Seriously. Thank you for this! :) Can't wait for E3!

Mufc1427

Can't wait.

Salty Hippo

I don't understand the obsession for 90s IPs. Let's move forward and create new IPs. The whole crash bandicoot and Conker obsession will not reflect on the masses.

This is such an irrational line of thinking, I have no idea why people keep bring this up. Why would a new IP that no one has heard about before have more chances to "reflect on the masses" than an old IP that at least SOME people know and cherish?

Just make a good fucking game and it won't matter if it's a new IP or old. If you really want to reflect on the masses you should be thinking about genre first and foremost anyway.

Majanew

Banned

Ruh roh. You better hope MS delivers at this E3.

GavinGT

Banned
I took a picture the other day....

hnCCjqZ.jpg

Salty Hippo

Can you answer just one thing? When you say Rare-work, do you mean actual work happening at Rare, by Rare? Or just anything Rare-related?

Very interesting.. Now i can't wait for E3.

i completely believe all of this. i'm not going to take the time to dig up one of my old posts, but i basically called all of this regarding rare in another thread a while back. microsoft is getting their asses kicked by sony and i'm sure they are shifting direction (or already have) to try to win back the hardcore. i expect to see them leverage rare's old ip as part of that plan.

TomShoe

Banned
I'm going to call fake because that is a lot of talent to throw at franchises that may just not work today. Doesn't make business sense. Perfect Dark!? C'mon!

If MS and Sony want to reboot older franchises they should hire an indie studio and give them a shot at it. The cost will be low and the end result could be much more unique than anything a big studio house would do who would probably do the obvious thing.

I wouldn't trust an indie studio to work with any big name IP, mainly because there's no telling how quality of a game you're going to get. Not to mention the large amount of excitement that comes with re-booting an old IP. The masses want true AAA remakes and a reboot made by an indie studio may seem insulting.

Ape

Banned
Why didn't he mention battle toads? That is obviously coming and if he has his ears to the ground at rare then I'd think it would be mentioned.

My only issue is if MS has no faith in Rare doing Conker than why should we have faith in anything they do? At least with something like Battletoads you would have to go out of your way to completely ruin it.

Ape

Banned
i completely believe all of this. i'm not going to take the time to dig up one of my old posts, but i basically called all of this regarding rare in another thread a while back. microsoft is getting their asses kicked by sony and i'm sure they are shifting direction (or already have) to try to win back the hardcore. i expect to see them leverage rare's old ip as part of that plan.

Good news, mike! A poster on this very page has stated that you shouldn't believe all of it. No need to get so worked up anymore.

Definitely fake lol. MS could easily check into who's email string that was and sue the guy for breaching NDA (that usually lasts 2 years after you leave afaik)

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

My Banjo-senses are tingling. Bring it on.

Krakn3Dfx

Never a big fan of Conker, but hope to see Banjo again in the future, Nuts and Bolts was an amazing game that I put dozens of hours into.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???

Ok now I'm getting excited..

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

So, if there is no always-offline-playable, retail Banjo-Threeie or Conker 2 at E3, I'll need a red watermelon!

I'm glad Insomniac turned the Conker game down. I have faith in them, but that short development cycle would have been terrible. A B-K reboot sounds fine, as long as it stays true to its roots.

Who are you tho? Dropping info like you're somebody. Like you're in the know.

Pfft.

I'll wait for legitimate sources like CBOAT or NTKRNL to comment thank you very much.

Yoshi

We haven't dissected the saddesz part of Kampfheld's posting yet: He's not commenting on a Rare thread before E3 anymore. That probably means there won't be any solid Rare announcments for another 3.5 months...

Conker by Insomniac, it would be great!

What is Conker for Insomniac, and what are the kind of games Insomniac have been doing recently? Fuse, Sunset.

Nevermind, it's not happening if the guys is to be trusted.

With MS who wanted a rush, it would have been a disaster. It's fine they refused, they didn't want to rush something.

The problem with that is, if by the chance they win back the hardcore, the fight will have already moved on to win casual/non-hardcore audience. That usually happens by Year 3, which coincidentally is when a lot of these games would likely hit.

MS has never really shown an ability to balance focus between the two groups, unlike Sony. It's something they'll just have to learn.

I am guessing one reboot is BS then.
My guess is Banjo.

Lichter

What is Conker for Insomniac, and what are the kind of games Insomniac have been doing recently? Fuse, Sunset.

Nevermind, it's not happening if the guys is to be trusted.

With MS who wanted a rush, it would have been a disaster. It's fine they refused, they didn't want to rush something.

Insomniac has made some really good action-platform games.
And they have a good sense of humor too. I really think that this collaboration could have been great.

Microsoft disappoints me because these negotiations could have turned out differently just by letting more time to Insomniac.

Yoshi

Another thing of note: If we assume that no MS representative has been lieing about Rare franchises, then the two things that are right probably are "Banjo sequel in the works" and "Conker sequel was planned, might be scrapped".

what was the last really successful 'mascot' game on a non-Nintendo platform?

Would Skylanders count? It's the only one I can think of- but the 'collecting' aspect of that game for kids is the main draw, yes?
I'm talking straight up one central character mascot game.

Perfect Dark I could see a potential future for based on the mainstream market, but Conker, Banjo, Battletoads, etc? Seems too risky this day and age unless you go mid-tier/small team.

dwells

Need a PD reboot. So bad.
After disgracing the franchise with PD0 ten years ago, they seriously owe us one. Need something fun and new to sake up the FPS space.

Then again, who am I kidding, it'll be an ADS/sprint/killstreak/XP fest like every other shooter on the market.

Give Conker back to Nintendo.
As if they'd be willing to bring out a first party M-rated title, let alone a crass one with a seemingly cute little squirrel.

Boke1879

I would love to get hype but after last years E3 and everyone hyping up to high heaven the announcements MS had. I'd rather keep expectations low.

vitti_ix

Neo Member
Well that's a misleading thread title. I have never heard of such a game being talked about here. If it's true (I have no idea), they probably asked Ted, Ted said no, and that was that.

Saying we are not interested though does not equate to "almost worked on" something.

I'm sure Ted has turned down a ton of games in the past. None of which we "almost worked on".

Top Bottom