• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reddit rumor: Insomniac almost worked on Conker reboot, Banjo + PD reboot in 2016/17

I dont believe the OP info for a second (ive seen Kampfs post too)

Ken Lobb already said PD wasnt in development.
Insomniac want to own their own IPs
I refuse to believe after Crackdown 2 that MS would be so stupid as to rush it out. If they were so desperate to make and release a Conker game quickly and on the cheap then just port the OG Xbox version over, add in the stuff they censored and then sell it on the Xbox One store for $20.
Also the whole "it has to be out by the end of 2015" kinda contradicts what Phil Spencer said about having too much for the end of the year, and possibly delaying games to give them breathing room.

Prine

Banned
Of all the franchise Rare want to being back, VP is at the bottom for me, i really hope none of Rare's resources is being spent on VP at the moment. Not that VP wasnt a good game but its not what i want from Rare at this time. Im expecting either a platformer, a shooter or an adventure game, deliver 2 of those first then do something light like VP.

Banjo is most definitely in house, id think theyd kick up a massive fuss if it wasnt. Especially with Greg Mayles and Robin Beanland being there.

Salty Hippo

I highly doubt Banjo is being outsourced, especially with Gregg Mayles still being at Rare.

I hope you're right, but according to the Reddit guy they wanted to use Insomniac's Conker to gauge their ability to craft a 3D platformer that isn't Ratchet. What I understood from that is that they wanted Insomniac to do Conker first and then Banjo, and that to me speaks volumes about Microsoft's lack of faith in Rare as a studio. I wouldn't put all my money on Banjo being developed in-house right now.

Regarding the questions answered: If he was legit and nothing was set in stone at that time, then having Banjo at E3 seems rather unlikely. But at least, if he was right regarding Conker and Banjo and Conker was not being made by Insomniac, that would make me plenty happy. Insomniac is awful at platforming imo. The only true platformers they made, Spryo 1-3 are super weak Banjo-clones that didn't even get the basic design principles of Banjo right and their later games in the Ratchet franchise are arcady TPS way more than platformers (and bad at the platforming they do have). They might be able to do a good job an JFG, but not on Conker and definitely not on Banjo.

I agree. I would trust Insomniac blindly for a JFG, Banjo/Conker not so much. But I think I'd still trust them more than current Rare or a some small studio.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
As much as I love insomniac I don't think this would be as perfect as everyone probably thinks. Sunset Overdrive was great but it tried way too hard to be humorous and just ended up being a cringe-fest. I'm sure the game would be great, just like Sunset Overdrive.

I'd be far more interested in the makers of Resistance 3 (a better game than Half-Life 3 will ever be) rebooting Perfect Dark, now that could be something special.

Banjo is definitely in house (if it's being made), I doubt Rare would let go of the chance to make a proper Banjo game, especially when they still.have Gregg Mayles.

MysteryM

At the risk of being hated, after coming from SM64 and then playing banjo, I just didn't enjoy it that much which I put mostly down to the smallish size of the levels, I can't help that was an art style/hardware trade off at the time.

I want to see a far more open banjo, with exploration and puzzle solving. Just use SM64 as a template and go from there.

Salty Hippo

At the risk of being hated, after coming from SM64 and then playing banjo, I just didn't enjoy it that much which I put mostly down to the smallish size of the levels, I can't help that was an art style/hardware trade off at the time.

I want to see a far more open banjo, with exploration and puzzle solving. Just use SM64 as a template and go from there.

This doesn't make sense. Banjo's worlds are significantly bigger than SM64's. And the graphics are also much, much better so I don't know what exactly you're talking about.

Did you play Tooie? It's like 4x bigger than Kazooie and the worlds are all brilliantly interconnected. If there's one department where Banjo kicks Mario 64's ass, it's world design.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Yeah, that's an odd complaint. Banjo's worlds are huge compared to Mario 64. It's not even close.

Synth

It would have been rather hypocritical of Insomniac to take the job anyways what with their whole "we want to own our own IP" thing they've been doing

It wouldn't be hypocritical at all. Wanting to own their IPs doesn't mean they can't take on work for anyone else's (they are for example doing another Ratchet game). I'd read that more as if they create a new IP from the ground up like Sunset Overdrive, they don't want to hand over the IP that they've created to whoever simply publishes it. Which is completely understandable.

rob305

Am I the first one to notice? The E-Mail screenshot looks like its been taken from Gmail, not from Outlook.

Here's what I think:
1. Banjo is being made in-house. It HAS to be big, and I would imagine it would be difficult to find a competent, big and willing enough studio to do it. If Insomniac was eyed to do Conker to see if they could do Banjo at some point, then why the rumors of Banjo E3 15?
Speaking of:
2. Conker was offered to Insomniac. Now it's on the back burner until they can find a new studio.
3. Battletoads for 2015. Downloadable game, and short development cycle. Could be a smaller team in-house, but it would also be easier to outsource than B&K.
4. VP is Rare's plan B. Rare has some work on Banjo, but if it wasn't/isn't good enough, they will end up doing VP. Don't think Rare is big enough for both.

In addition here's what I hope for the future:
1. PD becomes what Shangheist should have become; a mix between Mirror's Edge, Deus Ex and Splinter Cell(?). An FPS with upgrade systems, gadgets, interactivity, stealth and fun exotic missions.
2. Conker is touchy subject, since it hasn't aged that well in everyone's eyes. Yet, I think he can work as a contemporary parody of what gaming is. I think MS can take his icon one step further. Give him a game, sure, but make him pop up in more places than just his own game. Conker should be MSs DEADPOOL.
3. A new Kameo at some point. I kinda dug that game, and the shapeshifting had great potential. A new typical Rare IP would also be very welcome.

I don't understand the desire for more Conker, he was by every fashion a product of his time. You can't parody N64 platformers anymore, it's just not relevant. Using him to bolster any other type of parody would just be forced and unnecessary in my opinion. Small cameos here and there, sure, but a full new game? Who would that appeal to besides die hard fans?

New Banjo though? Now that I understand. Reinvent the classic gameplay that made the original so good, but for a new generation. Banjo can be appreciated by both children and adults, a new Conker would have the same appeal as... Duke Nukem Forever, imo.

Timu

Here's what I think:
1. Banjo is being made in-house. It HAS to be big, and I would imagine it would be difficult to find a competent, big and willing enough studio to do it. If Insomniac was eyed to do Conker to see if they could do Banjo at some point, then why the rumors of Banjo E3 15?
Speaking of:
2. Conker was offered to Insomniac. Now it's on the back burner until they can find a new studio.
3. Battletoads for 2015. Downloadable game, and short development cycle. Could be a smaller team in-house, but it would also be easier to outsource than B&K.
4. VP is Rare's plan B. Rare has some work on Banjo, but if it wasn't/isn't good enough, they will end up doing VP. Don't think Rare is big enough for both.

In addition here's what I hope for the future:
1. PD becomes what Shangheist should have become; a mix between Mirror's Edge, Deus Ex and Splinter Cell(?). An FPS with upgrade systems, gadgets, interactivity, stealth and fun exotic missions.
2. Conker is touchy subject, since it hasn't aged that well in everyone's eyes. Yet, I think he can work as a contemporary parody of what gaming is. I think MS can take his icon one step further. Give him a game, sure, but make him pop up in more places than just his own game. Conker should be MSs DEADPOOL.
3. A new Kameo at some point. I kinda dug that game, and the shapeshifting had great potential. A new typical Rare IP would also be very welcome.
I can see some of these happening.

I hesitate to bump this thread by replying, but reddit mods are not trustworthy sources. They might as well be "my uncle who works for Nintendo".

And the "email chain" just makes this easier to spot as fake. The other party would know exactly who it is. Who would be dumb enough to jeopardize his career by posting that?

We've all seen much better fakes, let's get real.

that's what you get for not having a solid first party stable.

no matter how much money you throw around at studios, they won't take it if your demands are unrealistic and lack planning. it's as if xbox doesn't know how game dev cycles work. asking a studio to make a triple a game in a year? they probably don't care if the game failed as long as it came out to make way for the reboots. wow.

just create a new ip. oh that will take more time. at least with conker you got some pre-prod work done.

This is the last comment I will make in a Rare thread prior to E3:

1) if there ever was a chance old-school Rare fans will be satisfied with current Rare-work, this time is this year.
2) that rumor has two legit and one wrong points, which leads me to the impression he just guessed. I don't know for sure tho. Things can change pretty fast in this industry so I can't make a final comment on this one.
3) Classic Rare IPs will return. Yes, more than just Killer Instinct.
4) If you guys aren't somewhat satisfied after E3 .... Kill me with fire.

yeah but people say that every year, you know.

DaveJ

BOOM. Love it.

Dev working on the next Crackdown.

I'd like to take the opportunity to state that Kampfheld is not a dev working on the next Crackdown, or is in any way associated with Cloudgine. I very rarely post in forums, and won't comment again, but as the co-founder of Cloudgine I can 100% state that all his comments should be ignored. Mods can feel free to reach out to me to verify.

Dave Jones, Cloudgine

Banjo has a bigger world tho so what are you talking about?

le.phat

I'd like to take the opportunity to state that Kampfheld is not a dev working on the next Crackdown, or is in any way associated with Cloudgine. I very rarely post in forums, and won't comment again, but as the co-founder of Cloudgine I can 100% state that all his comments should be ignored. Mods can feel free to reach out to me to verify.

Dave Jones, Cloudgine

Wow

Dave Jones, Cloudgine

shots fired

Dave Jones, Cloudgine
14kwrhk.gif

V_Ben

Banned

Dave Jones, Cloudgine

Well, I guess that's that! Crikey.

R3TRODYCE

Dave Jones, Cloudgine
lol whoa

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Dave Jones, Cloudgine

Here we go.

LiK

Dave Jones, Cloudgine

KERPOW!

Lichter

Dave Jones, Cloudgine

All right.

Dave Jones, Cloudgine
rekt

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?

Dave Jones, Cloudgine

Averaging almost 1 post a year, damn. BTFO.

TM94

Dave Jones, Cloudgine

200x200px-ZC-686fc95b_bert.gif

Nibel

Dave Jones, Cloudgine

zit76uea7qcy.gif

SgtCobra

Dave Jones, Cloudgine
84964-Clay-Davis-SHIT-gif-The-Wire-RwqT.gif

So all his "ze cloud" praising in other topics was BS?
I said sheit again.

Respawn

Banned
Hope no one is falling for this. Yeah let me post an email chain between me and the people I worked with.

Dave Jones, Cloudgine
Welp...

Dave Jones, Cloudgine

Oh wow gaf "insiders" seem to be batting 0 for 1000 right now

Skele7on

Banned

Dave Jones, Cloudgine

4) Kill me with fire.

tumblr_mpj5cmsMqS1qczzlho1_500.gif

Top Bottom