• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redesigned 8-bit and 16-bit games (Some unbelievable!)

Enk

makes good threads.
I'm kinda fluxuating back and forth between 3 projects at the moment (Mega Man, Metroid, and Super Mario World). Don't expect anything soon, though Mega Man might be out the gate first. I'm also working patches of patches for some practice. One of those I will probably released tonight if things go well.

GDJustin said:
GAF should use Lunar Magic to make our own SMW romhack! Trying to stay true to SMW, and not putting in any of that crazy bullshit.

Just a SMW level pack, basically.

Maybe I could make a thread with some sort of contest where GAFFER's can make their own patch. It will probably take a few days though. I need to find out through some higher ups on how to handle something like that without getting into trouble.

cartman414 said:
Demerit, demerit, demerit!!! (The random enemy encounter thing violates one thing I liked about the Zelda II overhead map system.)

* sigh *

What will it take for a good Zelda II hack? Or better yet, a Zelda II hacker program?

There is a Zelda 2 hack program out there. I'll post it tonight when I get off of work.

Enk

makes good threads.
Editor Suggestions

Zelda II Editor
What game: Zelda II
Editor link: HERE

Alright, the world is barren of good Zelda II hacks. Who wants to be the first to make a decent one?! There's also a different Mac editor HERE. It looks a bit more accessible. If anyone has a Mac, give it a try and let us know how it is.

Level Editor
Image2-5.gif

Overworld Editor
Image4-4.gif

Mac Editor
Image1-2.gif

Also I ran into a bit of a snag with the patch I was polishing up yesterday. If I can work out the bugs I should be able to release it tonight.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
anyone here have any experience with the Earthbound hacking program? I'd really like to get my feet wet with game modification, but I don't know shit about programming. Or is it more like making levels in Heroes of Might and Magic 3, where you place stuff and add trigger points for events and such... ?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
GDJustin said:
GAF should use Lunar Magic to make our own SMW romhack! Trying to stay true to SMW, and not putting in any of that crazy bullshit.

isn't super mario world alternate reality project sorta like this?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Enk said:
I'm kinda fluxuating back and forth between 3 projects at the moment (Mega Man, Metroid, and Super Mario World). Don't expect anything soon, though Mega Man might be out the gate first. I'm also working patches of patches for some practice. One of those I will probably released tonight if things go well.

Maybe I could make a thread with some sort of contest where GAFFER's can make their own patch. It will probably take a few days though. I need to find out through some higher ups on how to handle something like that without getting into trouble.

I don't get it, I guess. Who are you? What do you mean you're switching back and forth between projects?

What higher ups do you need to ask about this? Or did you mean GAF higher ups, to make sure it wasn't against the rules?

Enk

makes good threads.
GDJustin said:
I don't get it, I guess. Who are you? What do you mean you're switching back and forth between projects?

What higher ups do you need to ask about this? Or did you mean GAF higher ups, to make sure it wasn't against the rules?

By "projects" I meant my own personal patches I'm making. When I said "higher ups" I meant the mods in terms of how to handle a contest involving hacking games without crossing any lines. Sorry for the confusion.

zbarron

GDJustin said:

That's a sweet tool.

2cih5oy.gif

GDJustin

Enk said:
By "projects" I meant my own personal patches I'm making. When I said "higher ups" I meant the mods in terms of how to handle a contest involving hacking games without crossing any lines. Sorry for the confusion.

But why does it need to be set up like a contest? Why can't those of us that are interested all pitch together and do some levels?

Enk

makes good threads.
GDJustin said:
But why does it need to be set up like a contest? Why can't those of us that are interested all pitch together and do some levels?

Doesn't mean we can't do that too. I was just thinking a contest would be a good way into pushing more people into wanting create and actually finish a decent project. Eh, it was just an idea, thought it would be fun. I'll be more than glad to contribute a few levels to a GAF Mario though!

GDJustin

Enk said:
Doesn't mean we can't do that too. I was just thinking a contest would be a good way into pushing more people into wanting create and actually finish a decent project. Eh, it was just an idea, thought it would be fun. I'll be more than glad to contribute a few levels to a GAF Mario though!

Hehe, no, I'm with you. I understand completely, and I agree that a contest would be more motivational in a lot of ways.

I just wanted to make sure we weren't missing each other on this, because the idea of a contest came up and I was just confused. I'm not against setting things up in that way.

I've never been involved in the romhack scene in any way, and you have, so I defer to you.

I'm part of the SMW hacking community but I only do ports for custom music. But if we're actually going to have that level contest then count me in.

I'm glad this thread was made.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Super Mario World is my favorite 2D platformer (just edging out SMB3 barely) and I would TOTALLY be gung ho for such a project. Would give me a chance to finally dig into Lunar Magic, anyhow.

I dunno, I like the contest idea too. I know it sounds stupid, but the idea of a "Prize" just makes me want to design the best level possible :D

Gagaman said:
Is there a Sonic utility like these ones above? I'd love to have a crack at designing the odd level or two :D

There are, but the problem is a lot of the larger, more popular places for Sonic ROM hacking have flat out stopped hosting patches and now just host pre-patched ROMs. Which means linking them here is a big no-no. I can probably tell you the names of the level editor programs, though, and you can find them yourself from there:

Stealth's SonED2 has been around for ages and ages. I think you want SonED2, because Stealth actually used to charge to register the original SonED. SonED2, however, is free. SonED's strength is its easy-to-use level and art editors.

There's also the "Esrael Sonic Editor II", which seems to be recommended more for beginners. I don't think it's as good for level/art editing, but it comes with a built-in hex editor for more down-and-dirty work.

There's tons more that do more specific things (editing music, editing player sprites, etc.) but SonED and ESEII seem to be the two biggest "general purpose editors".

syllogism

I've been recommending Super Metroid Redesign for quite a while here, glad it's finally getting some attention. I should probably check out Super Metroid Cliffhanger, it just came out and it's apparently one of the bests.

http://www.digital-mantra.com/cliffhanger/

e: I'm having fun, but it's clearly made for the SM hacking community so unless you are willing to use save states and use some common glitches, try the "easy" version or don't bother.

Gazunta

Yeah, I really like the idea of everyone doing one level, and we end up compiling a GAF version of SMW :)

PS - are there any editors of C64 / Amiga games out there? I know all this stuff is neat, but a lot of it leaves me cold growing up in a territory where the NES was as popular as leprosy.

Enk

makes good threads.
Alright I guess I'll put together a thread dealing with the contest. I already have an idea on how I will handle it and it should be lots of fun. Expect the thread later on tonight or early tomorrow along with the patch I've been working on the past few days.

Gazunta said:
Yeah, I really like the idea of everyone doing one level, and we end up compiling a GAF version of SMW :)

PS - are there any editors of C64 / Amiga games out there? I know all this stuff is neat, but a lot of it leaves me cold growing up in a territory where the NES was as popular as leprosy.

None that I have seen yet. I'll keep an eye out. I'm sure there's a Turrican or Creatures editor floating around somewhere. We always have SEUCK to mess around with though :D

Editor Suggestions

ReVamp
What game: Castlevania 3
Editor link: HERE

Here is a comprehensive editor for Castlevania 3. From what I've messed with it seems very well laid out and easy to use.

Level Editor
c33.gif

Music Editor
c3.gif

Curse Editor
c32.gif

According to the reVamp readme, either regional version can be edited. Awesome.

Too bad the Zelda II editor comes only in DOS.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
let's make a gaf mario game. that way when we get the reviews in from websites we actually have the right to bitch about scores.

Gagaman

Sega1991 said:
There are, but the problem is a lot of the larger, more popular places for Sonic ROM hacking have flat out stopped hosting patches and now just host pre-patched ROMs. Which means linking them here is a big no-no. I can probably tell you the names of the level editor programs, though, and you can find them yourself from there:

Stealth's SonED2 has been around for ages and ages. I think you want SonED2, because Stealth actually used to charge to register the original SonED. SonED2, however, is free. SonED's strength is its easy-to-use level and art editors.

There's also the "Esrael Sonic Editor II", which seems to be recommended more for beginners. I don't think it's as good for level/art editing, but it comes with a built-in hex editor for more down-and-dirty work.

There's tons more that do more specific things (editing music, editing player sprites, etc.) but SonED and ESEII seem to be the two biggest "general purpose editors".
I had a quick go at ESEII and every time I saved any changes Sonic 1 would go red and corrupt on me. =(

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
beelzebozo said:
let's make a gaf mario game. that way when we get the reviews in from websites we actually have the right to bitch about scores.

Thinking about it, tho I think it may be a bit more difficult than one would think with this many people. We'd have to set some ground rules of course, such as how many levels we'll have and such. But then we'll have issues like who will have the honor of doing the final level, and that could be a problem with those of us that are attention whores :)D).

Enk

makes good threads.
Oblivion said:
Thinking about it, tho I think it may be a bit more difficult than one would think with this many people. We'd have to set some ground rules of course, such as how many levels we'll have and such. But then we'll have issues like who will have the honor of doing the final level, and that could be a problem with those of us that are attention whores :)D).

I some what already have that covered on how we might handle it. Almost done making the contest thread. I will have it up later tonight so keep an eye out.

Gagaman said:
I had a quick go at ESEII and every time I saved any changes Sonic 1 would go red and corrupt on me. =(

Unfortunately I haven't used either for more than a couple of minutes to test them out, but I do know that Sonic 1 (maybe the other Sonics, too) have a checksum that they look at when starting up to make sure the game hasn't been pirated or modified. If the checksum is wrong, and the game has been modified, it shows you the red screen.

Though you'd think an editor would do it automatically... is there an option to recalculate checksum?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I had forgotten how different the wall-jump is in Super Metroid Redesign.
Single wall wall-jumping is now pointless, and only certain walls are wall-jumpable to begin with!

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Mejilan said:
I had forgotten how different the wall-jump is in Super Metroid Redesign.
Single wall wall-jumping is now pointless, and only certain walls are wall-jumpable to begin with!

the wall jumping can get pretty iffy, especially when you're near the top of a jumpable wall and that last rebound really looks like you should make the ledge, then you don't. . . and you fall all the way back down. agh.

i've gotten stuck about three times already. very challenging, but as advertised, very well made. there's a meticulous but malicious attention to detail where the environmental puzzles are concerned.

Ryu1999

Mama Robotnik said:
Super Metroid Redesign

The game expects you to have completed Super Metroid, and to natively understand wall-jumping and shinesparking. In return for your skill, Zebes now has a revised physics system, new abilities to collect and exploit, and a number of novel twists on a classic. Highly recommended, but have patience. Veterans will embrace the challenges provided by this two-year production.

Either the 360 d-pad is just that terrible, or the wall-jump implementation in Redesigned was designed with frustration in mind

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
it has indeed been redesigned to be more difficult and require more successful jumps. it takes some practice.

i propose that, despite the fact that it has been redesigned, this doesn't rule out the idea that the 360 d-pad really is that terrible. i'm playing on wii homebrew with a classic controller and it's completely terrific.

I gave Sonic Megamix a go, but I didn't really get on with it. They've added too much with the new characters and moves and much longer levels. It glitched on me a few times and I actually got stuck at one point and had to restart :(

Are there any other Sonic 1 hacks worth checking out? Maybe that aren't as ambitious and just add some good new levels?

Also are there any good sites to get the ROM patches from? Or do they all have the actual ROMs already patched?
If so PM?

Gagaman

Sega1991 said:
Unfortunately I haven't used either for more than a couple of minutes to test them out, but I do know that Sonic 1 (maybe the other Sonics, too) have a checksum that they look at when starting up to make sure the game hasn't been pirated or modified. If the checksum is wrong, and the game has been modified, it shows you the red screen.

Though you'd think an editor would do it automatically... is there an option to recalculate checksum?
No idea, a lot of this goes over my head. I've had a go at Sonic 2 though and I seem to be able to tinker that fine.

Enk

makes good threads.
GAME SUGGESTION:

Rock Man Kenk
What game: Rock Man
Category: Complete level hack
Difficulty: About the same as the original
Where to get: HERE
Original Patch: HERE

Logo.png

Finally, after a week of grueling hacking, polishing, testing, and sweat I finally release Rock Man Kenk. What the frick is a Kenk? Well it's Rock Man Kai plus the love of Enk (that's me!). What started off as a simple fix of a good hack turned into project of passion that pretty much reworks 30% of the original patch's source material.

While the original mod wasn't as elaborate as some of the Rock Man 2 mods out there, but it got one thing right, a good, balanced level design. I went in and revamped a lot of the familiar battles (my favorite now being Fire Man), fixed the cheap hits, glitches, and reworked several of the stages including the final one. For those that like their hacks within the same difficulty and spirit of the original I think you'll like this.

Due to the limitations of working on a dirty hack I was very limited on how far I could change things. It's not quite what I wanted but I think the final outcome still came out nicely. The only thing I regret not being able to fix was Bomb Man and Ice Man's music in which the original creator replaced. I tried my best with fixing it (you can view the list of changes I made in the Read Me included). Anyways enough rambling, enjoy Mega Man fans!

SleepingMetools.png
BombManBattle.png

CavernDash.png
Flameon.png

InfiltratingtheSkullCastle.png
InvasionoftheRobotSnatchers.png

There's been some fantastic contributions to this thread. Its become a much more interesting resource than I thought it would be!

Thanks everyone! Again Enk, I thank you in particular for your brilliant suggestions, you seem to know about many hacks that I do not.

And for those interested in Zelda - The Seeds of Time, an awesome new video was released. Its really coming along!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xQarL_a7hE

with color information being stored in AAAARRRRGGGGBBBB format.

now, I define a swatch as 64 colors (256 bytes) like so:

struct swatch
{
uint32 color[64];
}

similarly, I define solidarity as a 16x16 array of 256 bits (32 bytes), with solidarity stored in a

manner.

from there, I define a palette as 7 swatches (1,792 bytes):

swatch Pallette[7];

Now we get to the meat. 8x8Tiles are defined as 1 swatch pointer (4 bytes), 64 color pointers (256 bytes), and 4 bools (1 byte) (261 bytes total):

struct 8x8Tile
{
swatch * Pal = null;
Uint32 *colr[64] = null;
bool alpha;
bool priority;
bool flipX;
bool flipY;
}

finally, I define 16x16 tiles as 4 8x8 tiles, 4 bools, 1 char (for solidarity properties), and 2 solidarity (1110 bytes total):

struct 16x16Tile
{
bool alpha;
bool priority;
bool flipX;
bool flipY;
8x8Tile Tile[4];
char SolProp;
solidarity * Solid[2];
}

Solidarity properties is of the following format, broken down by bits:
SSTT XXXX

where SS represents the solidarity properties for plane A, and TT represents the solidarity properties for plane B, and XXXX is null. Solidarity states are as follows:

00 - block is not solid
01 - block is solid at top/bottom (use solidarity chart)
10 - block is solid at left/right (use rotated solidarity chart)
11 - block is completely solid

EDIT: Oops, didn't mean to post this, and I don't think I have the ability to delete my posts...

Edit: Whoops, beaten. Zelda Outlands rocks, and so does this thread.

Guess it's too late but I would've voted for a community Zelda II hack, the Part 1/Part 2 are freaking impossible (10 hits to kill a Deeler while two blue moblins bear down on you? Come on.)

Enk

makes good threads.
Mama Robotnik said:
There's been some fantastic contributions to this thread. Its become a much more interesting resource than I thought it would be!

Thanks everyone! Again Enk, I thank you in particular for your brilliant suggestions, you seem to know about many hacks that I do not.

And for those interested in Zelda - The Seeds of Time, an awesome new video was released. Its really coming along!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xQarL_a7hE

This game is really starting to take shape now. It's good to see that the maker is trying to work the heart pieces into the mix. Now he needs to just add a shield and beam sword to make this really awesome!

TheSonicRetard said:
EDIT: Oops, didn't mean to post this, and I don't think I have the ability to delete my posts...
Watcha workin on? Hmm?

HisshouBuraiKen said:
Edit: Whoops, beaten. Zelda Outlands rocks, and so does this thread.

Guess it's too late but I would've voted for a community Zelda II hack, the Part 1/Part 2 are freaking impossible (10 hits to kill a Deeler while two blue moblins bear down on you? Come on.)
Outlands is indeed fun! I do apologize for even bringing up those Zelda II hacks. I'm not sure how well a GAF CREATES thread would work on Zelda II given the the tools available are very limited.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
SOLDIER said:
This is amazing. Just a couple questions.

1. Is there a way to customize the resolution? While outputting it on my big screen, the top and bottom is cut off a little.

2. Any patches or hacks to allow directional movement? That's the only gripe I have with the controls.
I wanted to try this, but the links all seem dead. Where did you find it?

camineet

Banned
Pics of the redesigned System 16 Fantasy Zone II set up as an actual arcade unit :D

36_589.jpg

37_255.jpg

The developer described the arcade hardware being a System 16B board with extra RAM
as the "System 16C".

SOLDIER

dark10x said:
I wanted to try this, but the links all seem dead. Where did you find it?

Sadly I forgot where I got it exactly, but it's one of the first google links, of that I'm certain.

After playing Kirby Superstar Ultra, I began to wonder why no one ever made any Kirby Superstar hacks?

Also, any FF hacks with an original story? A good story, even?

camineet

Banned
I forgot to do the comparison.

Fantasy Zone II - Master System (8-bit)
vs
Fantasy Zone II DX - System 16 via PlayStation2 (16-bit)

fz2-compare1a.png

fz2-compare1b.png

fz2-compare2a.png

fz2-compare2b.png

fz2-compare3a.png

fz2-compare3b.png

fz2-compare4a.png

fz2-compare4b.png

fz2-compare5a.png

fz2-compare5b.png

fz2-compare6a.png

fz2-compare6b.png

Absolutely amazing for the Fantasy Zone fan.

camineet

Banned
Did anyone read IGN's Fantasy Zone Retrospective ?

I still cannot believe how fucking cool it is that Sega did what they did by making a new System 16 game. They did something in 2008 that they might've / could've / would've / should've done in 1987, 1988 or 1989.

its most compelling addition was its answer to that hypothetical that has been nagging fans for decades: What if Fantasy Zone II was a System 16 arcade game?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Found two new (to me) Super Metroid hacks that play nice together, and don't add any new content at all!

Control Freak: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/405/
One Missile Doors: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/477/

Why then, are they worth mentioning?
Because they basically adapt the streamlined GBA gameplay to Super Metroid.
From the readmes and whatnot...

Control Freak said:
This small hack only changes the control setup for the game, to something closer to the newer GBA Metroid games. The opening Options menus have been altered to show the new controls for the game. Item pickup messages and Japanese text have not been altered however.

Control Changes

* Run is now toggleable between Run and Walk.
* Moonwalk has been deleted, and the setting is now used to toggle Auto Run.
* Aim Up is now the only aim button, ‘Aimlock’. Holding it will make Samus aim at a certain angle, and aim higher or lower if you tap up or down.
* Samus also has the ability to run and aim straight up at the same time now.
* Select Item is still used to select missiles, super missiles, power bombs, or the grapple beam. It no longer selects X-ray, which now has its own button. Items that are empty can be selected, but of course will not be used. Beams can still be used at any time, even when missiles and super missiles are selected.
* Item cancel has also been removed, as it now activates the x-ray scope.
* Aim Down has become Brandish, which, when held, will toggle between Beams and the item currently selected. This is somewhat… abusable.
* Smile Beams can be charged and remain charged while you fire missiles, but you still have to wait for cooldown till you can release a charged shot, or else you’ll just waste your charge.
* Powerbomb attacks are also now easy to control, just tap Brandish when you want to trigger them.
* Spinjump controls have also been improved a bit - Walljumping should be a bit easier on a d-pad, and Samus will fire in the direction you’re pressing instead of just forward, if you press fire.
* The controls are configurable to ANY combination. Aim is not limited to L and R.

One Missile Doors said:
This is a (very) simple patch that makes it so Super Metroid’s missile (pink) doors open with a single missile, rather than five, like the ones in Metroid Zero Mission and the Metroid Prime series. I created it for myself as I prefer Zero Mission’s style, but I decided to release it publicly on the chance someone else wants to play with it. I recommend using this with Kejardon’s Control Freak patch, for an experience even closer to Zero Mission.

They're pretty damn awesome. I know that there are plenty of you out there that prefer SMet's controls over the GBA games, but I'm not one of them. So I thought that these two tweaks, which can both be applied to the same ROM without conflict, were welcome hacks. Too bad I just finished up a SMet playthrough a month or two ago. Really too bad that Control Freak doesn't work on SMet Redesign. :(

Edit - I'll explain how Control Freak's Brandish mechanic works, since I found the default description rather unclear. Basically, you can still use Select (or whatever button you map it to) to toggle between Missiles, Super Missiles, and Power Bombs (X-Ray Vizor has now been removed from this listing and mapped to its own button, deleting the Missile/Bomb deselect mechanic). However, hitting the fire button will still only shoot your beams, regardless of what's selected. Brandish (comfortably mapped to the L or R shoulder button, for us GBA Metroid fans) "toggles" between beam and the currently selected power up (Missile, Super Missile, Power Bomb). It's slickly done.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
This thread is AWESOME, thanks OP (and to the posters' own contributions), do you guys know if it would be possibile to play the snes rom hacks through Wii's homebrew emus?

I'd like to play these bad boys on my telly :)

Top Bottom