• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall Has No In-Game Store or MTX, Will Be Arkane’s Most Supported Title

sainraja

If there is an award for the worst first post, this post gets it.
I dunno... he might just not be excited for this game due to his interest in multiplayer with GaaS like features (based on his other posts on games w/ mp). He's not really being "fan-boyish" about it. No need to be sensitive. I personally think the game will be fine and should review well for those that care for that.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
Nice to know but tbh mtx and ingame store never stopped me from buying a game.
It stopped me from buying any game with that design. The only exception is Genshin Impact buy I didn’t BUY it. It is free and played it as a single player game basically and stopped with the grind hit.

Schmick

Are there any examples of titles that have released on Gamepass (not referring to existing cross platform titles) that have gotten updated consistently with free content?

I have never played the Forza games, do those games give free content updates or do you have to pay for it (they did a hotwheels thing that was free or no)?
Firstly there are no Gamepass exclusive games so any game that is released on Gamepass gets the same support as the B2P version.
Secondly there are many MS games that have been getting continuous support with free content like Halo, Sea of Theives, Grounded and Flight Simulator.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

No issue with someone wanting to buy cosmetics and developers making them available via store.

Getting proud over this stuff is wierd. Though I get it, they don't want Suicide Squad style debacle at their hands.

Agreed. I'm completely unbothered by a store or cosmetic items being available, if fools want to spend money on that, might as well oblige them. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I don't think they are necessarily trying to be proud here though, I think its more of an issue of not wanting consumers to get the wrong idea about what the game is. They are basically trying to ensure people know that there is no grind here or game design built around encouraging you to buy things. That's what many confuse, most don't have an issue with being able to buy things, the problem is more about when the entire loop behind the game is designed to make you feel like you need to buy things.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Are there any examples of titles that have released on Gamepass (not referring to existing cross platform titles) that have gotten updated consistently with free content?

I have never played the Forza games, do those games give free content updates or do you have to pay for it (they did a hotwheels thing that was free or no)?
I dont track this stuff, but I do remember Dead Cells got that Dead God update for free. Googling it, it can be bought as DLC, but it came to GP.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Not as i remember...only the reviews copies of gt7 .. but mtx on day one
Review copies had the 3 MTX credit purchases, they were just unable to purchase them until the game went live (which makes sense). You were still able to see them, and they knew they were there.

Just another false narrative spread through ignorance in the great console wars.

The MTX was not available to purchase before launch but the reviwers could see there was an option to purchase credits from the PS Store. IGN review even mention that in they review.

Tiestamped for the MTX part.

Last edited:

Dolomite

So how are they gonna make money then for the extra content? It’s very cool of them - I just assume you have to figure out some way to monetize
Uncle Phil purchased the studio outright.🤔

and .....

Papa MS has a 3 trillion dollar market cap🤓😎

they don't have the same fear funding support for updates/ content when they can now afford to put their title on gamepass day one. If Arkane was independent, they'd be rolling the dice on a new IP they'd need financial fail-safes like MTX

DaGwaphics

not a good sign, no recurring revenue means MS will pull the plug within a year or so of when this comes out

This isn't an online multi-player game that is trying to be the next Fortnite or Apex. It is a game focused on a single player/coop campaign. The standard was for support for those game to be over the day they released. Getting a year of updates and DLC would be above and beyond the traditional approach.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
not a good sign, no recurring revenue means MS will pull the plug within a year or so of when this comes out

This is narrative focused RPG that should "end" when the player gets sick of killing dummies in REDFALL (no idea what the endgame looks like or if there even is a grind past the final Vampire God). Why would they need to "support" the title beyond the already announced expansion content?

Dolomite

I wonder if that Store tab will still appear in the UI. The screenshot we saw that in was from 2021 so perhaps they decided against it later on.

Anyway this is very good news. All that remains is to remove the always online requirement and I'm on board. We need far fewer Live Service games going forward. Unless you are a behemoth like Diablo 4 you won't stand a chance.

Fuz

Banned
I wasn't interested in the game before this.

That's actually a bad sign.

They have no confidence in this title.
BZZYABqCMAAmAYB.png

Rush2112

Banned
1. Bragging about no microtransaction
2. ”promising” support. If it ain’t a legal contract, its BS.
3. Went from making single player games to always online. Then pretend they didn’t mean it and try to walk it back.
4. Woke main characters REEKS of desperation for mass appeal.
5. ZERO innovation. They even said “It’s Farcry with vampires.” Imagine comparing your game to a shitty Ubisoft IP.
6. I trust Giant Bomb previews.

Last edited:

Dolomite

If you don't understand how gamepass removes the burden of traditional revenue streams from first party titles just say so my guy

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Sure if you only read the PC Gamer preview and chose to remain blinded to the other glowing press the (admittedly short) preview is getting.

. . .seriously it is crazy transparent what some of you are doing.

I respect you too much to think you believe "glowing previews" are relevant data in an industry known for blacklisting outlets.

Previews being positive is expected. When they're negative, it's a red flag.

anyone remember that thread about these gifs being cringe af?
even tho I agree with message here... I'm starting to see that guy's point... 🫠
Yeahhhhh, it was fun at first. But this shits been six feet in the ground for a while now. Time to use the OG ones.

I’m wondering if a lot of these were done because they are Sony owned movies, after they did that huge PUBISHER buyout of movie companies in the 80s and 90s…..

Chukhopops

3. Went from making single player games to always online. Then pretend they didn’t mean it and try to walk it back.
5. ZERO innovation. They even said “It’s Farcry with vampires.” Imagine comparing your game to a shitty Ubisoft IP.
You know Prey had an Asian main character, Dishonored 2 had a woman and Deathloop even had… a gay black dude?

I can’t believe some of the posts in this thread are real. There HAS to be some kind of secret contest for who can make the most reaching, dishonest and reality-bending post.

You know Prey had an Asian main character, Dishonored 2 had a woman and Deathloop even had… a gay black dude?

I can’t believe some of the posts in this thread are real. There HAS to be some kind of secret contest for who can make the most reaching, dishonest and reality-bending post.

Comparing Morgan to any of these characters is the most dishonest thing I've seen in this thread.

Kvally

Banned
Awkward The Last Of Us GIF by PlayStation

Gobjuduck

Banned
Wait till you play it before you call it great. This one has red flags popping up everywhere.
What red flags? Looks good to me. Prey was very well made.

My only concern is that the dialogue is annoying and the online will be sketchy. I plan playing single player first though.

clarky

Gold Member
I would bet my third testicle this game doesn't get "great support". Too many red flags...

- No in game store.
- Harvey Smith strategically talking politics.
- A handful of negative previews (rare to see).
- The game Deathlooping itself with too many showings.

They've done their internal playtests. No one wants to play this game longer than 15 hrs so they're going after a specific demographic (look at responses above) they feel they can extract from.

I've said my piece. Hope I'm wrong for your sake but I'm so very rarely wrong.

AppropriateImperturbableDore-max-1mb.gif

- No in game store. How is this a negative? Guess there a big juicy "red flag" on Zelda TOTK as well right?
- Harvey Smith strategically talking politics. ?
- A handful of negative previews (rare to see). And a load of positive ones as well. Pretty sure most previews have a few negative ones.
- The game Deathlooping itself with too many showings. I count 3? E3 ( a year ago) the direct and this. And a couple of trailers seems like a normal marketing cycle to me.

"They've done their internal playtests. No one wants to play this game longer than 15 hrs so they're going after a specific demographic (look at responses above) they feel they can extract from."
Where is this from? And what are they looking to extract? Are you high today or have you just run out of drugs?

Seems to me you've just got a sore arse from MS releasing a game(finally lol) and are looking for reasons to shit on it, just like the other warriors in the every Redfall thread actively wishing the game to fail. I never understand this mentality, more great games is good for everyone regardless of platform. Not saying Redfall will be 10/10 GOTY material, but its should be at least decent, I trust in Arkane.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
- No in game store. How is this a negative? Guess there a big juicy "red flag" on Zelda TOTK as well right?
- Harvey Smith strategically talking politics. ?
- A handful of negative previews (rare to see). And a load of positive ones as well. Pretty sure most previews have a few negative ones.
- The game Deathlooping itself with too many showings. I count 3? E3 ( a year ago) the direct and this. And a couple of trailers seems like a normal marketing cycle to me.

"They've done their internal playtests. No one wants to play this game longer than 15 hrs so they're going after a specific demographic (look at responses above) they feel they can extract from."
Where is this from? And what are they looking to extract? Are you high today or have you just run out of drugs?

Seems to me you've just got a sore arse from MS releasing a game(finally lol) and are looking for reasons to shit on it, just like the other warriors in the every Redfall thread actively wishing the game to fail. I never understand this mentality, more great games is good for everyone regardless of platform. Not saying Redfall will be 10/10 GOTY material, but its should be at least decent, I trust in Arkane.
Men_in_Boxes Men_in_Boxes is an Xbro tho. He's just found some strange love for GaaS.

Weird, I know.

Plans can change really quickly. We’ll see how the game does when it comes out. They won’t spend a whole lot of time on adding content to it if it launches with a thud.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Seems to me you've just got a sore arse from MS releasing a game(finally lol) and are looking for reasons to shit on it, just like the other warriors in the every Redfall thread actively wishing the game to fail.

You went full Lori Lightfoot. Never go full Lori Lightfoot.

We need to live in a world where you can criticize something without people saying "You're only criticizing it because you're a (bad person).

Sometimes people just see things from a different perspective.

clarky

Gold Member
You went full Lori Lightfoot. Never go full Lori Lightfoot.

We need to live in a world where you can criticize something without people saying "You're only criticizing it because you're a (bad person).

Sometimes people just see things from a different perspective.
Agreed, but I see your red flags as odd, each to their own. Good job it will cost us nothing to find out if the game is good or not come release.

No idea about Lori Lightfoot, but cool name I guess.

Stay safe out there.

DragonNCM

Wccftech recently participated in a Redfall preview event in London's Bethesda headquarters. You can check out my hands-on preview of the game here. After playing, I interviewed Arkane Austin veteran and Redfall creative director Harvey Smith, who revealed that there won't be any in-game store or microtransactions in the game. He also confirmed that Redfall is set to become the most supported title ever made by the studio after its debut.

We try to be very clear that there are no microtransactions and there is no store in the game. We're very proud of that. If you find a costume in the game, then you can have it, as simple as that. Other than that, Redfall will be our most supported game post-launch. We went with a server model, so we can update the game constantly. If we see a lot of people falling from ladders and dying, we can update the ladder code. If we see that nobody is playing this character, we can tweak this character and make them more appealing. We have plans for additional guns, costumes, monsters, characters, and more that we can't talk about right now. But we have a strong year of updates, and it's all either in the current game or it will be DLC. We try to do it as fairly as possible for people.

Fans had been worried about Redfall having microtransactions and/or an in-game store for cosmetics following a set of leaked images from a playtest in the second half of 2021. Those images clearly showed that an in-game shop was at some point included, but Arkane, Bethesda, and/or Microsoft have obviously since reconsidered.

Originally scheduled for Summer 2022, Redfall was delayed to the first half of 2023 alongside the big next IP of Bethesda Game Studios, Starfield. Both games now have their new release dates, with Redfall pinned for May 2nd and Starfield for September 6th. Both games will be exclusive to PC and Xbox Series S|X, as well as available on Game Pass from day one.
I'm very proud of Bethesda becouse as GP subscriber they gived me chance to participate as "ALPHA" tester for their Redfall game.
I hope that I will have chance to participate in their Starfield "BETA" test this September.

I respect you too much to think you believe "glowing previews" are relevant data in an industry known for blacklisting outlets.

Previews being positive is expected. When they're negative, it's a red flag.
He was right you know.

(Been playing games since 1998 I've long developed my own tastes so personally don't give a flying fuck about previews or reviews. But all the gaming media is corrupt except maybe for some big eceleb stars who earn money independently from the industry).

EDIT: ahh shit I should have looked at the posting dates, thought I was in a different thread, I was super confused why so many people were still defending this game in this thread lmao

Last edited:
Top Bottom